WA News Link

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: WA News Link

Post by sungazer » 23 Feb 2018, 10:46 am

I should of said Licensed person not registered. However then you are implying that a Law abiding Licensed person would buy a stolen gun withouth going through the correct procedures of dealing through a gun shop / dealer.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2018, 11:00 am

sungazer wrote:I should of said Licensed person not registered. However then you are implying that a Law abiding Licensed person would buy a stolen gun withouth going through the correct procedures of dealing through a gun shop / dealer.

As I said earlier, I doubt anybody steals firearms so they can shoot at ranges or in competitions, but it could be possible. What about a situation where a regular member has his licence revoked for an AVO (keeps the ticket claiming he'd lost it), doesn't want his mates to know, buys a stolen rifle, and keeps showing up for the friendly shoots? Is there anything in place to prevent such a scenario? I think it is for pistol clubs?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Feb 2018, 11:00 am

Sharing the reality of what was going on.Geraldton is another port where things come and go.A lot of drug traffic has been picked up recently.What can be done???They run the risk of getting caught for a quick buck and I am going to see what this character gets for gunrunning it better be 3 life sentences.Its not something most people would want to get involved in but it is happening.FNQ would be another area where boats come and go.Its unlikely major ports are seeing a lot of activity.I agree that the ABFcomment was wrong that the guns are being stolen from LAFO.who has gear like that
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by andreweden » 23 Feb 2018, 11:02 am

I am just curious. 3000 a year over time is a lot of guns.
We've established they are probably not being used by crims, so where are they!? Are they actually being used or do opportunistic thieves steal poorly secured ones and then dump them in the river after working out selling it is a hassle. Or are they all out there being used for hunting etc, by unlicensed people who feel a need to skirt the process. I can't imagine a licensed person risking their license by messing with a stolen gun. Surely buying ammo is a hassle?

I have no idea why my brain can't let this go.....
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 23 Feb 2018, 1:19 pm

Sorry I should have copied the link to the email where I got the information from
https://ssaa.org.au/news-resources/rese ... ationwide/
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 23 Feb 2018, 1:43 pm

I cant imagine any Licensed person buying a stolen firearm. I doubt that there are any firearms that can be legally owned that is worth taking that risk. Even the really expensive shotguns are only figure pieces really.
As for continuing to shoot if your license was revoked you would not have possession of your old rifles then you would have to purchase something on the black market. who even knows where that is it would most likely be a target rifle if you where going to a club or range and believe it or not. I have not seen many rifles that are the same they are nearly all very personal and easily recognizable. I dont think you would get away it for very long then the penalty would be so much worse than the trouble you are already in. That would be a real life downward spiral into goal time. Certainly I dont put shooting in the cant live without category which you would have to to go down that path.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2018, 2:32 pm

sungazer wrote:I cant imagine any Licensed person buying a stolen firearm. I doubt that there are any firearms that can be legally owned that is worth taking that risk. Even the really expensive shotguns are only figure pieces really.
As for continuing to shoot if your license was revoked you would not have possession of your old rifles then you would have to purchase something on the black market. who even knows where that is it would most likely be a target rifle if you where going to a club or range and believe it or not. I have not seen many rifles that are the same they are nearly all very personal and easily recognizable. I dont think you would get away it for very long then the penalty would be so much worse than the trouble you are already in. That would be a real life downward spiral into goal time. Certainly I dont put shooting in the cant live without category which you would have to to go down that path.

I agree, a licenced shooter has far too much to lose to even consider buying stolen firearms, or any stolen property at all. I was merely suggesting that a lifelong shooter that has lost his right to use firearms could conceivably do so for reasons of their own. As I said twice now, I don't believe stolen firearms are at all likely to ever see a range or club environment.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 23 Feb 2018, 2:56 pm

Knowing the media, the ABF and the stupid transport laws in the Wait Awhile State, the truth of the matter will probably be that it is no more than a licence gunsmith/amourer doing the rounds of country cop shops picking up WAPOL's owned firearms for their anual inspection and maintainance.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 23 Feb 2018, 8:29 pm

15 firearm charges have been made.This bloke should not see free time again.Not sure I get the attitude Trekin If you dont like W.A. stay away.I like Queensland a lot
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by southeast varmiter » 23 Feb 2018, 9:02 pm

Complete garbage. Most stolen firearms end up in PNG, SE Asia and India. AFP knows this. Never published.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 24 Feb 2018, 6:59 am

duncan61 wrote:15 firearm charges have been made.This bloke should not see free time again.Not sure I get the attitude Trekin If you dont like W.A. stay away.I like Queensland a lot

If by attitude, you mean wanting to hear the whole story (both sides) not just the one splashed across our screens by (anti) mainstream media outlets, then I am not sorry that I have affended you. Charges made does not automaticaly equate to guilt, nor does it mean that the authorities have conducted a thorough, if any at all, investigation, as I am sure this fellow Sandgroper could attest to.
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/stone ... ogspx.html
After two years of the living hell caused from trail by media, both mainstream and in particular social media, I, for one, am glad that the truth finally outed, particualy as it upset all those who had him pinned as guilty from the get go because of the claptrap published in the mainstream media, and the social media keyboard magistrates.
https://www.communitynews.com.au/hills- ... -attacked/
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Feb 2018, 4:33 pm

Angel wrote:http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/remote-wa-traffic-stop-leads-to-firearm-charges-20180216-h0w8fp.html

I note that this "journalist" has not made any correction or even clarification of his article as yet. Seems clear to me he wrote it to push his own agenda.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by holden4th » 24 Feb 2018, 8:14 pm

Writing to the journo concerned is a good idea IMO. I have followed suit.

Hello Phil

The standards of journalism have certainly deteriorated over the last decade or so. The most obvious example of this is the ‘sensationalist’ approach’ where the overuse of adjectives and sometimes adverbs distorts the basic facts of a story.

However, I assumed that journalists scrupulously researched their material to make sure that even though their view might be inflammatory and/or polarising at least it was based on fact. Sadly, Phil, this is not the case in your article on illegal firearms.

Now that said, the first part of your report, where you diligently reported the facts was an example of good journalism, stating things exactly as they happened. Unfortunately, you found it necessary to get some quotes from ‘experts’ and you quoted them verbatim without checking their veracity. What you were quoted was incorrect (I have research from a valid source to support it) and I would have expected you to examine what you were told to make sure it was accurate.

I imagine that others have contacted you to also express their dismay about the accuracy of what you wrote.

I’m happy to supply that research if you wish to thoroughly check it out and publish a retraction.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 24 Feb 2018, 8:49 pm

Good point made Trekin
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Angel » 24 Feb 2018, 9:51 pm

See, LAFO in action. I hope this journalist now sees that although the story itself is very important, and that these guns are no longer on the black market, a bit of fact checking re: stolen firearms is important as not to mislead.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by holden4th » 26 Feb 2018, 5:43 pm

As I said, I would e-mail Phil Hickey. I was astonished when I got a reply. Here it is:

Hi Ric.

I am making follow up inquires as we speak with the man's lawyer and several others.

I know there is more to the story and I am aiming to get to the bottom of it all.

Watch this space.

Thanks for the email.

Phil.

So let's see what happens. I referenced him the SSAA link provided in an earlier post and suggested that he contact them about using it.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Feb 2018, 6:06 pm

holden4th wrote:As I said, I would e-mail Phil Hickey. I was astonished when I got a reply. Here it is:

Hi Ric.

I am making follow up inquires as we speak with the man's lawyer and several others.

I know there is more to the story and I am aiming to get to the bottom of it all.

Watch this space.

Thanks for the email.

Phil.

So let's see what happens. I referenced him the SSAA link provided in an earlier post and suggested that he contact them about using it.

That's cool that he responded to somebody at least.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 02 Mar 2018, 4:55 am

Update. And so far my prediction has been spookily close.
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/just- ... 0wu80.html
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Mar 2018, 8:33 am

Maybe we should call you "Nostradamus".
Bugger me, a police/media beat up, who'd of thought?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 02 Mar 2018, 8:43 am

Hey trekin would ya mind given me Saturdays lotto numbers!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 02 Mar 2018, 8:46 am

duncan61 wrote:15 firearm charges have been made.This bloke should not see free time again.Not sure I get the attitude Trekin If you dont like W.A. stay away.I like Queensland a lot

A perfect example of someone being judged guilty ti proven innocent :thumbsdown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 02 Mar 2018, 8:52 am

Gamerancher wrote:Maybe we should call you "Nostradamus".
Bugger me, a police/media beat up, who'd of thought?

Call me whatever you like, just don't call me late for lunch. :thumbsup:
"who'd of thought?" Going by some of the comments above, there are some people who need to watch out for knee height objects, and that you wouldn't want to be standing next to at the bus stop.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Mar 2018, 9:09 am

We had an example of this a couple of years ago with a local dealer. Police decided to do an audit and found some non-compliance issues with his paperwork, nothing sinister, just "incorrect" record keeping. Then the sh!t hit the fan and they went all out on the bloke. Called in the media, told them how they had over 15000 ( actually I think it was much higher, just going off memory here), "illegal" firearms offences him. Well, that just sent the media into a frenzy, calling for all sorts of changes to the laws etc.
Turns out that most of the problem was actually with the Firearms registry and an ambiguous directive they had given to dealers in relation to record keeping.
The huge number of offences was due to the police counting each individual round/box of ammo on the premises as a separate offence.
After the dust settled, he cleared his name and returned to running his business. No retraction ever, by police or media, about him being wrongly accused.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by holden4th » 02 Mar 2018, 5:49 pm

I'm going to claim some credit for this about face. This was Phil's reply to my e-mail to him (posted earlier).

Hi Ric.

Watch this space.

Thanks for the email.

Phil.

Maybe there are some decent journos out ther.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics