Tasmanian Election - Firearms Policy

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Tasmanian Election - Firearms Policy

Post by bullzeye » 03 Mar 2018, 10:06 am

Whilst I’m in NSW i’ve found it interesting that firearms policy and gun control is a major talking point in the Tasmanian election.

The Liberal Party looks to have provided a few sweeteners to firearms owners which you can read on their website:

https://www.tas.liberal.org.au/sites/de ... letter.pdf

Main points include:

- Extend gun licence duration for Category A and B firearms from five years to 10 years; or in the case of Category C, from one year to two years

- Allow greater availability for Caregory C licenses and also the use of silencers in this category for Health & Safety reasons.

- Relax penalties for minor gun storage law breaches

- Building a new world class target shooting range for all disciplines.

- New Category E to cover all previously ‘prohibited’ firearms than some people had access to.

- Review of how firearms are transported in vehicles.

- Full review of the ‘military appearance’ laws.

Seems like a couple good changes here.

What does everything think? particularly interested to hear from people in Tas.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Tasmanian Election - Firearms Policy

Post by wanneroo » 03 Mar 2018, 10:36 am

It's a good step in the right direction to restoring some common sense. Suppressors are quite sensible for those, not only to help protect their hearing but also for noise pollution. Things like "military appearance" certainly needs to be addressed. Wood is nice but a lot of polymer based materials are now commonly used in firearms.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 03 Mar 2018, 12:15 pm

bentaz wrote:Sounds good but I wouldn't believe a word out of their filthy lying noise holes!
Its easy to promise the world.....

Like that conversation between Leyonhjelm and Abbott about Adler, 'oh, we weren't ever going to honour that promise'. Those who don't learn from the past... Vote them out, the end.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Mar 2018, 1:18 pm

juststarting wrote:
bentaz wrote:Sounds good but I wouldn't believe a word out of their filthy lying noise holes!

Like that conversation between Leyonhjelm and Abbott about Adler, 'oh, we weren't ever going to honour that promise'. Those who don't learn from the past... Vote them out, the end.

Politicians keeping a promise.

Dreaming.jpeg
Dreaming.jpeg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 6439 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 Mar 2018, 1:20 pm

aint it the truth.....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 03 Mar 2018, 1:22 pm

Here is the actual document from the libs.
It’s fairly non committal most of the way through.
The firmest commitments are to review or refer but obviously all that is too wordy to put in a news story.

http://www.ssaatas.com.au/wp-content/up ... ints-1.pdf

Whilst there is some common sense stuff in there, the relaxation on storage offences concerns me.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Mar 2018, 2:33 pm

Poliscum promised same thing in qld.. faire fact based firearms legislation and no reclassification of the adler. Come time to vote on the adler and only one lnp member opposed it. Don't believe a word the a@seholes tell ya!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2018, 8:29 am

Well the libsh@ts got back with a majority so here's their chance to prove those that bag poliscum(me included) wrong!!! :lol: :drinks:
How do the tassie mob think it'll go? :unknown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 04 Mar 2018, 10:02 am

Daddybang wrote:Well the libsh@ts got back with a majority so here's their chance to prove those that bag poliscum(me included) wrong!!! :lol: :drinks:
How do the tassie mob think it'll go? :unknown: :drinks:

Im no expert but dont they have to get it through parliment...?
If so, no doubt Labour & Greens would block it best they can anyway...
(Or should i say Green--only one seat i heard)...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2018, 10:05 am

Looks like they have a majority so even if the green and labor oppose them they have control of the Parliament. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 04 Mar 2018, 10:16 am

Ah ok...
If anything happens, it'll probably be so fsr down the track we'll have long forgotten... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by andreweden » 04 Mar 2018, 10:17 am

They don’t control the upper house. The other thing is they have made few promises to actually legislate anything, it’s mostly ‘review’ or ‘refer’.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2018, 10:27 am

andreweden wrote:They don’t control the upper house. The other thing is they have made few promises to actually legislate anything, it’s mostly ‘review’ or ‘refer’.

I didn't realize tassie had two houses :thumbsup:
It'll still be interesting to see how things shape up if they can get some changes thru in tassie it gives us a little hope in other states considering the hold the green mob have had down there for so long. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 04 Mar 2018, 10:58 am

Daddybang wrote:
andreweden wrote:They don’t control the upper house. The other thing is they have made few promises to actually legislate anything, it’s mostly ‘review’ or ‘refer’.

I didn't realize tassie had two houses :thumbsup:
It'll still be interesting to see how things shape up if they can get some changes thru in tassie it gives us a little hope in other states considering the hold the green mob have had down there for so long. :thumbsup: :drinks:

The vast majority are actually independents. (2/3 rds). No greens at all.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2018, 12:29 pm

In the upper house. Tassie has been seen as greenie stronghold for many years (back to brown and the dam protests) . :drinks:
Although Victoria is probably the holder of that title these days. :unknown:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 04 Mar 2018, 1:07 pm

Daddybang wrote:In the upper house. Tassie has been seen as greenie stronghold for many years (back to brown and the dam protests) . :drinks:

Nope, no greens in the upper house. 10 independents, 4 labor and 1 liberal.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 04 Mar 2018, 1:08 pm

andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 04 Mar 2018, 3:14 pm

So many people with their knickers in a knot over this. Blowing it out of all proportions with absolutely no understanding, s
just: "THEY'RE GOING TO RELAX THE GUN LAWS> LET'S BE OUTRAGED!"

Of the proposed reviews the only concern is the idea of a 10 year licence. I know at least 2 shooters who are getting on and need to be watched carefully when it comes to firearms safety. I think for health and safety reasons, a 5 year max renewal is probably good. My wife and I both have to renew this year. I might apply for catC this time around... but I'm not holding my breath for a sound moderator.
There is mention of semi-auto for legitimate sporting reasons: that sounds good for some who like their ICPS or what ever it is called. Not going to make much difference to me for f-class, though.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 04 Mar 2018, 3:31 pm

So basically, you should have a cat C and you have literally no use for it, other than demonstrating it through stupid paperwork... But an older fella who's been shooting longer than I've been alive and has safety built into muscle memory shouldn't have a bolt action? Bit of a nasty thing to say dude.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2018, 4:36 pm

andreweden wrote:
Daddybang wrote:In the upper house. Tassie has been seen as greenie stronghold for many years (back to brown and the dam protests) . :drinks:

Nope, no greens in the upper house. 10 independents, 4 labor and 1 liberal.

Sorry Andrew I was actually agreeing there were none in the upper house. I should have worded it better. :drinks:

bentaz wrote:

Which is ironic for Vic with our "least s**t" laws!

Yep unfortunately if that Andrews wally gets back in I think that might be traded away :drinks:

And gwion according to the local news up here ya all are going to be reenacting pam once a week :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 04 Mar 2018, 4:39 pm

I was going to say, from what I read in the papers here , I moving. Looks like I can finally have that automatic grenade launcher.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 04 Mar 2018, 5:02 pm

juststarting wrote:So basically, you should have a cat C and you have literally no use for it, other than demonstrating it through stupid paperwork... But an older fella who's been shooting longer than I've been alive and has safety built into muscle memory shouldn't have a bolt action? Bit of a nasty thing to say dude.

Shooting off at the mouth with out actually putting any effort in to understand again, dude.

a/ I have a use for CatC because I have a problem with pest animals eating all the grass in my paddocks and so my sheep suffer through winter. If the Tas govt. approves moderators for pest control under catC then it would make my job so much more effective and efficient.

b/ One of the old blokes I mentioned is a lovely guy who is degenerating with dementia. He forgets a whole bunch of things constantly. Luckily he is still with it enough that he has decided it's best he gives it away before he forgets something serious and hurts himself or someone else. Some would be too stubborn to voluntarily step away so a 5 year max is probably a good thing.
The other old bloke is so lax with f/a safety that he muzzle sweeps everyone and everything, saying "the rifle is safe": well, how do I know that??? He has also been known to walk forward of the firing line during live fire, use a rubber mallet to close his bolt on handholds he insists are fine and poke his head out from behind the butts whilst scoring to see what's going on... and you say his safety practices are finely tuned to automation. :lol: :lol: :lol:
What's more, he thinks it's fine to teach new shooters the same practices.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 04 Mar 2018, 5:10 pm

Maybe I just don't know about Tas. I would have expected it's just a formality. Which should be like a drivers licence... If he is dangerous, then you should report him, before he injures someone. Unless there's a testing process of some sort, I don't remember it being there...

Re: semi, that was obviously a joke. Everyone needs a semi. You need to loosen up a bit, dude!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 04 Mar 2018, 5:13 pm

Hey, are you (Tasmanians) allowed to shoot on public land in general? From everything you've said over time, it sounds like there's a minimum shooting requirement and requirement to be a member of a club. Is that the case for rifles? Can I just own one and shoot for fun at a range without being a member of anything?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Mar 2018, 5:18 pm

One of the first states to restrict firearms based on their appearance... I can't see them relaxing anything.

They'd say anything to win a few extra votes.

The best part of all this was seeing gca chuck a wobbly over the lack of construction :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2018, 9:34 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:The best part of all this was seeing gca chuck a wobbly over the lack of construction :lol:

Yep anything that pisses gca off can't be all bad! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Mar 2018, 11:29 am

One of the "games" that you can "play" using semi-autos is called Gallery Rifle. Haven't had a go myself yet, but a few of our lever-gun shooters have gotten into it in a big way. Apparently you need a semi-auto be competitive in the .22 RF part of it internationally. We did send a team over to Ireland to compete, they did well in the centre-fire stage with their levers but were not in the hunt in the rimfire due to not having semi's. SSAA Tas have pushed hard to get them allowed and it looks very promising for them. I know a couple of blokes are ordering high end 10/22 clones for it and pest control.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics