Lets see if I can get this one right....

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Lets see if I can get this one right....

Post by Angel » 03 May 2018, 6:14 am

OK..So my last thread was clearly a bomb and i apologise...

But lets look at this one.
IN 2015 the Herald posted this story about toy guns etc.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cal ... hlch1.html

and this morning i stumbeled across this one in my Facebook feed from the Shooters union of Australia...

https://www.gofundme.com/armouredheavenlegalfund

The toy gun dealer guy who commented in the 2015 article is now being charged with a raft of firearm offences. Surely the NSW Govt. cant make these charges stick, if they can then it is a massive issue. (Disclaimer... I have no affiliation for this guy who is being charged, and can't support his cause on account of being bre @$$ed broke. I am however concerned by his plight).
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Lets see if I can get this one right....

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 6:57 am

Yeh, this subject could turn into a can of worms. To someone who knows nothing about firearms it probably looks real enough. Take a good look at the pictures then think about what this kids parents attitude might be. Not really appropriate to let ya kid walk around with that toy in the city I think?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 7:00 am

On the dealers situation, beurocracy has gone mad
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Archie » 03 May 2018, 7:49 am

bigrich wrote:Yeh, this subject could turn into a can of worms. To someone who knows nothing about firearms it probably looks real enough. Take a good look at the pictures then think about what this kids parents attitude might be. Not really appropriate to let ya kid walk around with that toy in the city I think?

No... that isn't smart. You could see that (or something like that) going really bad quite easily. It's clearly too small to be an actual AK, but people in stressed situations probably won't think that clearly. And if you have a stressed out cop yelling at the kid to drop it, and the kid's freaking out and doesn't... In your backyard or wherever, who cares... but not in Martin Place.

Dealer one is an interesting one. So, I don't know how his gel pellet guns work. And it seems insane that he's been getting the all clear from the police and now he's being prosecuted. But, leaving aside whether you think the law is sensible or not (I don't), it's also pretty clear:

- An air gun is " a gun that:
(a) can propel, or is designed to propel, a projectile:
(i) by means of any gas or mixture of gases, including air but not including a gas or mixture of gases generated by an explosive, or
(ii) by means of a spring, and
(b) is operated or designed for operation by means of a trigger or similar device."

So its quite likely that what he's been selling is an air gun under that definition, right? And then:

- firearm means a gun, or other weapon, that is (or at any time was) capable of propelling a projectile by means of an explosive, and includes a blank fire firearm, or an air gun

And you can't own a firearm without a licence and registration, and you can't sell a firearm without a dealers licence. I'm not saying it makes any sense that a gell pellet gun would be covered by the same regulations as a .50 bmg, but it is... which is why in NSW you need a permit for paintball guns. To be honest, hate to say it but I reckon good odds he's screwed...

EDIT: I'll answer before anyone asks - how can you get away with Nerf guns? And the answer is because the regulations exclude things that are specifically packaged and marketed as children's toys.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 11:09 am

Yeh Archie, I reckon he’s stuffed , woulda thought you would really check out the legal side of things first, got something in writing for the classification of those guns. You would be surprised however the amount of people I meet and talk to who don’t realise what a serious view government and police take on firearms regulation
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2018, 2:19 pm

Border Force stopped a bag of plastic BB's I ordered because our laws class them as ammunition.
If I had ordered a bag of small plastic balls it wouldn't have been a problem though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 03 May 2018, 3:38 pm

Gel blasters are legal up here in Queensland. One of the sellers went through a heap of drama but got final sign off as toys. Federally through they are considered an imitation firearm so need an import permit from WLB to give to customs for any imports. The “ammunition” gel balls are also used for watering flowers in vases. Is every $2 shop selling them in breach...
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 03 May 2018, 3:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:Border Force stopped a bag of plastic BB's I ordered because our laws class them as ammunition.
If I had ordered a bag of small plastic balls it wouldn't have been a problem though.

Retardation has no bounds going by that stupid example! FMD what the hell is wrong with people today, do they not know we can make our own projectiles out of all sorts of things, plastic pellets should be the last thing they worry about.

You may have to go down the local haberdashery for your ammo next time :D

The world has gone mad, ok to be some sort of queer gender benda with no male or female recognition but a few plastic bbs are a scary thing that should be banned, the world has absolutely been infulenced by farkwits no doubt about it. :crazy:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 4:14 pm

when i was a young fella with a awesome slingshot , i found glass marbles give high speed and a nice flat trajectory. smallish 6mm ball bearings or fishing lead sinkers could be lethal. should marbles and sinkers be banned ? definately more dangerous than a gel ball :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Archie » 03 May 2018, 4:17 pm

bigrich wrote:when i was a young fella with a awesome slingshot , i found glass marbles give high speed and a nice flat trajectory. smallish 6mm ball bearings or fishing lead sinkers could be lethal. should marbles and sinkers be banned ? definately more dangerous than a gel ball :unknown:

Don't give them ideas...
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2018, 4:23 pm

bigrich wrote:when i was a young fella with a awesome slingshot , i found glass marbles give high speed and a nice flat trajectory. smallish 6mm ball bearings or fishing lead sinkers could be lethal. should marbles and sinkers be banned ? definately more dangerous than a gel ball :unknown:

I think sling shots are already illegal down here.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 5:22 pm

god damn it guys, next thing ya know we'll need a lisence for fun ! wait ! hold on, i think we already do.........yeh BR , in queensland ya slingshot has to be kept in a gunsafe.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 03 May 2018, 5:30 pm

bigrich wrote:god damn it guys, next thing ya know we'll need a lisence for fun ! wait ! hold on, i think we already do.........yeh BR , in queensland ya slingshot has to be kept in a gunsafe.

They aren’t that stupid about slingshots up here in Queensland. Just can’t have ones with an arm brace.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 5:51 pm

here's one for ya's,diving spearguns ! what's the legals in different states on these ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Archie » 03 May 2018, 6:28 pm

bigrich wrote:here's one for ya's,diving spearguns ! what's the legals in different states on these ?

NSW, I don't think you need a permit (other than a fishing licence when you are actually fishing). Can't use scuba gear, can't use in inland waters... gun needs to be longer than 45cm. Think thats about it.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 7:06 pm

actually fellas, just remembered a news story locally yesterday where a 13 year old, yes that's right, tried on a armed rob at a servo for a packet of smokes with a toy gun ! gotta wonder what parents are teaching their kids these days but ? used to be you didn't need a lisence for crossbows in qld not too long ago. spearguns are just a mater of time i reckon. then kitchen knives, boxcutters, butter knives.....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Angel » 03 May 2018, 7:33 pm

bigrich wrote:actually fellas, just remembered a news story locally yesterday where a 13 year old, yes that's right, tried on a armed rob at a servo for a packet of smokes with a toy gun ! gotta wonder what parents are teaching their kids these days but ? used to be you didn't need a lisence for crossbows in qld not too long ago. spearguns are just a mater of time i reckon. then kitchen knives, boxcutters, butter knives.....

You're right...

http://www.mygc.com.au/boy-13-charged-w ... a-toy-gun/
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2018, 7:39 pm

how long before toy gun's, and all images of guns are banned entirely. it's some panty wearing lefty/greenies fantasy right now
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sawyers » 04 May 2018, 8:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I think sling shots are already illegal down here.

There illegal over here aswell (wa) unless you call them a bait caster
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2018, 8:07 am

bentaz wrote:I blame homo's and soy milk!

:lol:
I blame the ready availability of decent espresso and organic cheese!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigrich » 05 May 2018, 9:40 am

where's bigfellascott when ya need him ? it"s (i'll try to qoute him ) latte sipping transgender banana bender thingy"s fault ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Firearms related media and politics