Hunting state forests

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting state forests

Post by Zagor » 29 Aug 2016, 1:38 pm

Hey guys I'm new to hunting and I'm getting my R license in NSW. I have a 2011 XR6 was wondering do I have to have a 4WD to access the national parks? Does anyone know any state forests where you can access without a 4WD? Also any other tips for a first time hunter would be appreciated. Thanks
Zagor
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Hunting state forests

Post by YoungBuck » 30 Aug 2016, 5:41 pm

I'm in southern Vic so I cant really help you with NSW forests, but regarding the car, I've just recently replaced my 2006 XR6 turbo with a Subaru XV because it couldn't really go far into state forests due to mud and dips, etc... Be prepared to walk a lot!
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 30 Aug 2016, 6:59 pm

Yeah i'm in Vic also... i got lost in a state forest in a mazda 3 and ended up on a narlie " main road " the forest claimed some bits under the car that day but we lived to tell the tail, needless to say i have a jeep wrangler now lol

Park up in a day tripper carpark and strap on your pack
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Zagor » 30 Aug 2016, 8:57 pm

yeah i got just under 2 years left on a novated lease deal cant wait till its over so i can get a 4wd
Zagor
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2016, 10:18 pm

I've never been happy with the idea of leaving a vehicle parked unattended in the bush. I prefer to get dropped off and either arrange a time and place to be picked up, or just radio or phone when I'm ready.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 31 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm

I hunt the northern nsw state forests definetly recommend a 4wd generally speaking the tracks deteriorate the further in you go especially in the high areas been stuck a few times make sure you are well equipped recovery wise if you go on your own!!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 01 Sep 2016, 11:35 am

Unless your willing to take tracks with pace and lose mud flaps and god knows what else, I would leave the XR at home, bugger parking it there overnight you'll be lucky if it's all there when you get back! Not to mention if it rains there will be no escape.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 01 Sep 2016, 1:43 pm

The other option is keep the XR6 and get a dirt bike and double the fun.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Sep 2016, 6:44 pm

happyhunter wrote:The other option is keep the XR6 and get a dirt bike and double the fun.

Good option. BUT get a QUIET one. I hate noisy anything in the bush. Just puts all game on alert.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 01 Sep 2016, 7:24 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
happyhunter wrote:The other option is keep the XR6 and get a dirt bike and double the fun.

Good option. BUT get a QUIET one. I hate noisy anything in the bush. Just puts all game on alert.

Same. I don't like loud bikes. AG bikes make good hunting rigs. Low seat, carry racks and nice and quiet although I really like one of modified KLR650s. The company that builds them had plans for a civilian model but canned the idea because thhey have enough trouble keeping up supply for the military.
Attachments
KLR670ARMY2.JPG
KLR670ARMY2.JPG (26.09 KiB) Viewed 6648 times
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Supaduke » 01 Sep 2016, 10:44 pm

I used to have a KLR650, great bikes, bullet proof design and capable on road and off.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 02 Sep 2016, 8:17 am

The one in the pic has a 670cc diesel engine. 100MPG and top speed of 90MPH and they can run in silent mode. That engine will run on pretty much anything that burns. The used to convert the KLR650 engine to diesel but now it uses a motor built for the purpose. Be the ultimate outback touring bike.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Zagor » 05 Sep 2016, 8:54 pm

nice i used to have a riding license and a bike years ago thats a pretty good idea i have a towbar on the xr6 too so have to get a trailer and a dirtbike that would prob be a good option for a day hunt to cover some ground.
Zagor
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 05 Sep 2016, 9:06 pm

Stalking down a gully, and zing zing ziiiiiiiing damn bikes
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by winton » 23 Nov 2018, 11:12 am

I've parked in the bush. Been lucky so far touch wood, but am I pressing my luck? Thinking about getting a new 4X4 and really don't want to leave that out unattended.

Day tripper car park means alot of walking. Like lots and lots. Unpractical for some areas of state park in VIC. What are your opinions?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Nov 2018, 6:31 pm

The electric dirt bike is going to change a lot of things...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2018, 6:52 pm

TassieTiger wrote:The electric dirt bike is going to change a lot of things...

Yep, there'll soon be hundreds of the damned things littering the bush with dead batteries, but too heavy to carry out.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 23 Nov 2018, 7:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Yep, there'll soon be hundreds of the damned things littering the bush with dead batteries, but too heavy to carry out.

If they cost anything like what 36v batteries do for cordless power tools (bikes would need at least a 48v) they won't be dropping them in the forest...
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2018, 7:26 pm

YoungBuck wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

If they cost anything like what 36v batteries do for cordless power tools (bikes would need at least a 48v) they won't be dropping them in the forest...

I'd love to watch somebody try to push one of them out of the forest :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Nov 2018, 9:48 am

They are progressing...like lcd TV’s they’ll come down in price, to nothing in a couple years
But for people looking for hunting - maybe an elec assisted bike? A mate has a 200w pushy that he uses for cruising beaches(no rego vehicles allowed on beaches here) looking afor fishing gutters. He gets about 50-60klms from a charge, top speed of mph30...nil maintenance and no reg costs...and pick it up into the boot of your car. Think he paid about 2500.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey