Victoria, feral cats

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Victoria, feral cats

Post by Modena » 08 May 2016, 11:46 am

I was surprised when I found this page as I had thought that feral cats were pests, but apparently they are not a declared pest

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agricultu ... st-animals

I have heard many people shooting feral cats yet how is it they can he hunted when they are not a pest?

http://huntingvictoria.com.au/2015/10/0 ... -victoria/

just askin
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Victoria, feral cats

Post by Boss4b » 08 May 2016, 12:39 pm

Just coz there not listed as a pest dosent mean there not if something kill's native wild life and and it's not native then it should be shot
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 May 2016, 1:09 pm

The listing of a species bring with it significant obligations on the landowner... to control as best as practicable, also the difficulty in differentiating between true wild/feral cats and cats that are owned but out and about where they shouldnt be.

Note the Feds have coordinated with the states to declare cats as 'pests' which is meant to happen by July this year, believe you me, the RSPCA et al will pull out ALL stops to prevent this, along with all their hypocritical animal loving friends... the hordes of cat ladies who will be up in arms..

As far as legalities in shooting them, at the moment I'd say its a little grey in the urban/urban fringe, if you can't ascertain whether or not the animal is owned, you cant/shouldnt kill it, you have the right to trap it and hand it to the ranger, but not kill it, right or wrong as that may be.

When you're further out of suburbia and you know there are clearly wild populations, I'd say thats different.... Come july however, and when the feds say july they mean perhaps 2017 :thumbsdown: , if at all, then the game will change and ANY cat on your land, or in crown land, where you can shoot, will be fair game (mandatory game for land owners!)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 May 2016, 4:52 pm

Any cat is fair game, if it's out of it's own yard it's feral.
Here's the stomach contents of one I shot earlier ... yes that's cat food inside.

There's no grey area around the legalities of shooting cats in my district.
2015-08-22 01.25.20.jpg
2015-08-22 01.25.20.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 8370 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 08 May 2016, 6:10 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Here's the stomach contents of one I shot earlier ... yes that's cat food inside.

With such a black and white view on things it's quite likely you shot someones family cat...
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Modena » 08 May 2016, 6:21 pm

Boss4b wrote:Just coz there not listed as a pest dosent mean there not if something kill's native wild life and and it's not native then it should be shot

yes that may be so, my question was more around the "legal side" and whether they can actually be shot as pests. Seems things are perhaps a little grey, especially within "cat range" of a "domestic setting".
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 08 May 2016, 6:28 pm

Dd you know the metallica album Kill Em All was written about feral cats?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 08 May 2016, 6:56 pm

YoungBuck wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Here's the stomach contents of one I shot earlier ... yes that's cat food inside.

With such a black and white view on things it's quite likely you shot someones family cat...

Most places actually regulate that cats are to be desexed, kept inside at night and are not to leave the owners property. I know many people who believe any cat not in it's own yard is a feral cat.

If the "family" loved their pet, they should have kept it in control.

I like cats as pets, they can be great animals with heaps of character, but if you aren't a responsible pet owner, then your cat is probably mostly feral and just using you as a food source.

I personally consider any cat i see on my property to be feral.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 May 2016, 8:26 pm

YoungBuck wrote:

Not only did I probably shoot someone's pet cat but I also used the contents of it's stomach to lure his mates in.
Funny thing about cats ... even with a belly full of food they are still out hunting, that one came to the call of a fox whistle.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RealNick » 12 Oct 2016, 3:13 pm

Modena wrote:I have heard many people shooting feral cats yet how is it they can he hunted when they are not a pest?

Because they're not native they're not protected?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deadkitty » 12 Oct 2016, 4:24 pm

If it's a cat and on my property, it's fair game, I use cameras, traps and shooting and cats are one of my biggest pest management problems...along with dogs and foxes. If you love your pet, keep in on your own property....ditto dogs
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 12 Oct 2016, 4:29 pm

Feral cats around here would be better described as wild cats. They are so many generations away from domestic that the markings are becoming uniform.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Oct 2016, 4:35 pm

RealNick wrote:
Modena wrote:I have heard many people shooting feral cats yet how is it they can he hunted when they are not a pest?

Because they're not native they're not protected?

I think Nick has hit the nail on the proverbial head. If they are in SF they would be fair game.
The classification of pest has special meaning as stated earlier.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Oct 2016, 7:38 pm

Gwion wrote:Most places actually regulate that cats are to be desexed, kept inside at night and are not to leave the owners property. .

You surely cannot be serious ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Oct 2016, 7:59 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:
Gwion wrote:Most places actually regulate that cats are to be desexed, kept inside at night and are not to leave the owners property. .

Yep, council requirement where I live. Trouble is I live in the suburbs & I think it might be a little risky to give the next doors cat a 55gr proj from the 223 cause they think the rules dont apply to them. Bugger :unknown:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Oct 2016, 8:01 pm

Oldbloke ...

It was Gwions use of the word 'most' .....that I struggled with.

I should have highlighted it.

( he probably should not have used it ! )

P.S. he's from 'down there', right ?

I / we, should cut the poor sod some slack ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Oct 2016, 8:33 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Oldbloke on 13 Oct 2016, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 12 Oct 2016, 9:29 pm

I live in burbs and i'm surrounded by units. My cat trap has caught many a cat! It will continue to catch many a cat and I will continue to drop them off at the RSPCA where they can euthanize them for me. Native wildlife saved, killing machines gone. When I moved in here 18 months ago, I reckon there was about 2 dozen or more, some feral and some pets. All off to the RSPCA :thumbsup:

Could use the .22 with subs, a little risky i think :silent:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 13 Oct 2016, 4:52 am

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:

I think gwion is one the money.

I also firmly believe that you want a pet, contain it to your property. End of story, no whinging, your pet, your property, if it leaves your property, I'm more than happy for it to be shot/run over
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deadkitty » 13 Oct 2016, 5:41 am

Sam45 wrote:I live in burbs and i'm surrounded by units. My cat trap has caught many a cat! It will continue to catch many a cat and I will continue to drop them off at the RSPCA where they can euthanize them for me. Native wildlife saved, killing machines gone. When I moved in here 18 months ago, I reckon there was about 2 dozen or more, some feral and some pets. All off to the RSPCA :thumbsup:

Could use the .22 with subs, a little risky i think :silent:

Good advice Sam, forget the .22, those new air rifles look pretty handy :evil: seriously , it's not a good idea to discharge any firearm in suburbia, trapping and handing over to the council or RSPCA or similar is the right thing to do. I live on a nature reserve so 50grs administered at 3000ft/sec works for me.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 15 Oct 2016, 5:45 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Oldbloke ...

It was Gwions use of the word 'most' .....that I struggled with.

I should have highlighted it.

( he probably should not have used it ! )

P.S. he's from 'down there', right ?

I / we, should cut the poor sod some slack ?

Haha...

Ok. So maybe not most, nut many. Most urban areas that share boundaries with state and national parks especially.

Cats are declared pest in Tas.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Oct 2016, 7:02 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:

Dont know about other states but I Victoria its councils (not all obviously) that require they be inside at night and on owners property. So its not well policed. Just a paper tiger.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 Oct 2016, 8:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
MR. WINCHESTER wrote:

Dont know about other states but I Victoria its councils (not all obviously) that require they be inside at night and on owners property. So its not well policed. Just a paper tiger.

Yep.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 16 Oct 2016, 7:40 pm

^^^^

HEY ! That's my cat !!!

I've been looking for little 'Cha Cha' for ages.

Is she O.K. ?

When can I come pick her up ?

Please look after her until my arrival.

( she likes a tickle under her chin and a cheesy treat )

EDIT: What did you do with her collar ?
Last edited by MR. WINCHESTER on 17 Oct 2016, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 16 Oct 2016, 9:32 pm

Don't worry MR. WINCHESTER, looks like little Cha Cha has been well taken care of.. :lol:

And bentaz.. Sure mate, ya daughters you say :P .... I believe you ;) :lol:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Oct 2016, 10:13 pm

Another bad guy bites the dust. Did ya shoot him in the back or face him off.?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deadkitty » 17 Oct 2016, 5:37 am

Pink gun????, mmmmm dead cat?..... all is forgiven. Bunch of funny buggers in here....
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 24 Oct 2016, 4:04 pm

Went to a property last week near gympie qld the old fella who owns it gave us a run down on the place before shooting,he told us that in a certain area he often see's big black cats like puma size animals and often finds roos with the heads taken off scrathes up trees bigish paw prints in the mud had a bit of fright he reckons when he suprised one in the thick scrub so he goes tooled up "with a short barrel firearm" whenever on that part of the property spoke to a couple of other mates who have been there and they shot stuff only to go back next day to see heads missing? Anyone seen any "big cats" out there?.22 in the swag for a few nights ha ha
Last edited by albat on 24 Oct 2016, 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by doc » 24 Oct 2016, 4:38 pm

Modena wrote:yes that may be so, my question was more around the "legal side" and whether they can actually be shot as pests. Seems things are perhaps a little grey, especially within "cat range" of a "domestic setting".

That's an interesting question - and not just cats, but dogs as well...

If there are dogs on your property - especially if there have been attacks on livestock I was always under the impression that it was legally fine to shoot them. (Not that I have, or have needed to). I'm not 100% sure, but I imagine cats would fall under a similar ruling (whatever it might be).

But after your question, and especially the bit about them not being considered pests - I have no idea where this legally falls under in state parks - especially if the animal belongs to someone else (domesticated dog or cat).
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Ed9362 » 24 Oct 2016, 6:50 pm

All cats are feral, just some live in people houses.
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control