Best chainsaw for camping

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Best chainsaw for camping

Post by Apollo » 06 May 2016, 10:24 am

If you are felling trees then wedges are a must as is a spare blade and chain. Most times two saws but there are also the extras in the tool box.

Just be careful with rackers. They really do not need adjusting all that often. I'd rather use a gauge and check rackers before heading out for a day. Take rackers down too much and you can create a dangerous situation where all the chain wants to do is grab and/or kick.

I used to really enjoy cutting firewood, felling trees etc until I did my back in. Now it's not real fun any more. However the best fun and enjoyment I had many years ago was doing the week long forestry certification courses. First softwood then hardwood training for a workcover certificate I needed for employment. It really opens your eyes watching those trying to learn that have no clue what so ever of how to operate a chainsaw safely yet alone fell just a small tree then trim it of branches without killing themselves. So many things can go wrong.

Anyway, talking about firewood. I've got to go cut some before I run out and looking forward to a mate turning up next week when we'll spend a few days cutting for this winter. I'll get him to do all the bending over and heavy work.

Stay warm.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 May 2016, 10:39 am

The reason I like the 2in1 is it will only take the rackers down to the correct depth so no chance of taking too much off (this setup does everything in one go so to speak) so sharpening is so quick and easy it's not funny and you know the chain is set up to be at it's optimum each time you sharpen it. Not cheap though at around $80 but well worth it and files are around $9 for a set of 2 so not overly expensive and readily available from any Stihl shop.

Yeah cutting wood can be hard on your body alright, that's why I only do a ute load each time, that's as much as this poor worn out ol body can handle these days LOL. And you are right about people being clueless, but we all started out much the same and we've learn't how to do things the correct way without getting injured so all good.

I'm going to give those nylon wedges a go I reckon, I've tried the metal ones and they just didn't want to bite into the tree like I though they should have (you'd belt em and they'd just want to pop straight back out for some reason) we tried a few diff shapes/sizes and all did the same thing so figured I might go the nylon and see how they react, not that I cut many trees down more the buggers on the ground that want to pinch ya bar that cause me grief at times (mind you I can spot when it's going to happen more often than not now) but would be nice to just belt a wedge in and not have to worry about it so much.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 06 May 2016, 10:55 am

I carry two nylon, two aluminium and two steel wedges in my kit as well as a block buster. The steel one's haven't been used since I got the others many years ago. The nylon has teeth on the sides, the aluminium doesn't but hasn't slipped as yet. I do keep driving them in as I cut and they are used to break the hinge when felling a tree. The biggest mistake I have seen others do is keep cutting until the tree starts to fall.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 May 2016, 11:35 am

Not quite a chainsaw but when having to remove >1000 trees it's more efficient :)
IMG_1575.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG (262.76 KiB) Viewed 8881 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 06 May 2016, 1:30 pm

Oh, a baby crawler. You'd want something a lot bigger than that around here to make a scratch on a 30-50 metre tall box tree. :D

Soil Conservation built some dams for me a number of years back and had to remove a couple large yellow box trees, probably around the 40m high x 1.5m at the base with their Cat D6 and boy did that little toy have fun. Much ripping of the ground to try and break roots, then push a monster pile of dirt to build a ramp to give a bit of height advantage. Some hours later and much pushing the first one came over, very hasty retreat by the dozer before the root system came up and tipped the dozer over. Not the sort of thing I'd like to be doing much of, very risky business.

Then out came the Stihl 084 to cut it into a few sections so the dozer could actually push it away bit by bit. Lots a fence posts and later firewood after it dried for some years.

A different story in scrub size timber.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 06 May 2016, 2:19 pm

WayneO wrote:I have to admit to never, ever having used a chainsaw in my life. Looking at some of these posts I am not to sure I ever want to either.

Depends on the saw and the job mate.

Saws with a lot of ponies are not for the ones to start with, a kick back can really send the saw flying and if you're not handling the saw in a way to manage it or aren't prepared, look out.

The kind of saws for home / recreational stuff with smaller motors can 'kick', but I'd describe it more as a sharp push than a hard kick back. A lot easier to arrest and steer the saw as it comes, usually not more than half a foot compared to a powerful saw which will throw your arms up in the arm for you.

Can be used very safely :thumbsup:

Seek proper instruction, but easy rules of thumb to follow which put safety first are:

1) Get a saw with a brake (probably can't get them without one these days anyway?)

2) When using the saw lock your front arm straight and pivot with the rear arm so if you get a high kick the brake will hit your firm arm and activate it. (Bent, relaxed front arm means less likely to hit the brake)

3) Only cut logs thinner than the bar is long so you never have to use the top corner of the chain. (Google 'chainsaw kick back zone for this)'.

Can all be done safely with a little care :thumbsup:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by halfcocked » 07 May 2016, 3:21 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Agreed on the Husqvarna saws, they are the most reliable saws I have ever owned and they always start easily, the stihl stuff has gone cheep and nasty and are pricks to start and never stay in tune.

If you want to go cheep n nasty, go propper cheep. I bought a arborist saw just like the one in the link below, its great for camping because its very compact and actually runs quite well.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 31&alt=web

i second this ebay link. i have owned the big banger in this brand for years. i use it occasionally and it goes great! once warm you can start it with your little finger. I've done lots of work with it and it gets the job done for about an 8th the cost of a big brand one.
cons: it leaks bar oil. safety cut off lever spring broke, need to hold back entire time while cutting or it engages and cuts out. not safe but meh.
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 16 May 2016, 2:54 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Ah that makes more sense now, more than likely the issue I would say. ;)

So, seems like it was me not giving the new saw enough credit.

Put it to use on the weekend, skipped the choke on all restarts after the initial one and she fired up each time no problem.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 May 2016, 3:31 pm

Lorgar wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Ah that makes more sense now, more than likely the issue I would say. ;)

So, seems like it was me not giving the new saw enough credit.

Put it to use on the weekend, skipped the choke on all restarts after the initial one and she fired up each time no problem.

Yeah you only really need the choke if it's cold other than that they normally fire up after one or two pulls if they have been using in say 30mins of restarting again. I think you'll find it a great little saw for camping purposes, they seem very reliable and just work year after year without any real maintenance (12 or 13yrs now and haven't spent a sent on mine maintenance wise (well other than a spark plug).

Empty the fuel tank at the end of the season and use only 91ron or there abouts (no ethanol crap) and no premium stuff either as it makes engines run hotter than the 91ron stuff apparently (according to my small engine mechanic) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 16 May 2016, 4:07 pm

Bourt wrote:
WayneO wrote:I have to admit to never, ever having used a chainsaw in my life. Looking at some of these posts I am not to sure I ever want to either.

Depends on the saw and the job mate.

Saws with a lot of ponies are not for the ones to start with, a kick back can really send the saw flying and if you're not handling the saw in a way to manage it or aren't prepared, look out.

The kind of saws for home / recreational stuff with smaller motors can 'kick', but I'd describe it more as a sharp push than a hard kick back. A lot easier to arrest and steer the saw as it comes, usually not more than half a foot compared to a powerful saw which will throw your arms up in the arm for you.

Can be used very safely :thumbsup:

Seek proper instruction, but easy rules of thumb to follow which put safety first are:

1) Get a saw with a brake (probably can't get them without one these days anyway?)

2) When using the saw lock your front arm straight and pivot with the rear arm so if you get a high kick the brake will hit your firm arm and activate it. (Bent, relaxed front arm means less likely to hit the brake)

3) Only cut logs thinner than the bar is long so you never have to use the top corner of the chain. (Google 'chainsaw kick back zone for this)'.

Can all be done safely with a little care :thumbsup:

Sound Advice..!

Don't let risk put you off using a Chainsaw, Appropriate Training and a Healthy Respect for the "tool" in question have significant impact regarding potential risk. I've encountered quite a few training providers that offer courses for chainsaws, local emergency services groups may offer the service or be willing too..

I like the Stihl but Huskys a great saws too, either will provide a lot of trouble free use IMO.. When it comes to saws I'd buy the best you can afford that will be suitable for your level of use.. If that value = occasional use then a few hundred gold coins at one of the big box shops, may provide a suitable and affordable saw to get you off the axe...

I should say I'm not up to speed on the latest Husky safety tech, however It does appear that Stihl have on offer some good features with regards to safety, like the Quickstop and the Quikstop Plus (Q) I think the additional safety features may be worth a look especially for anyone with limited experience. They also provide a pretty good DVD that covers safe handling with their saws. Another thing to consider is the serviceability of the saw, If you look close and compare the differences between "Home Owner targeted" and a "Pro Series" saw you may notice that the Pro saws have a vertically split casing, this is a good thing when the time comes to overhaul the saw.. I got double warranty for buying a Pro Series for non commercial use :thumbsup: Doubt I'll need it though :unknown: :allegedly:

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/techno ... g-systems/

Although proper instruction will never be replaced by safety mechanisms of any kind, they both go a long way to prevent U from cutting off limbs that are your own... There are other additional protective measures one can take advantage of, such as chaps for example designed to clog the saw chain and help keep the level of injury in check.

Cheers

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by agentzero » 23 May 2016, 11:46 am

darwindingo wrote:Don't let risk put you off using a Chainsaw, Appropriate Training and a Healthy Respect for the "tool" in question have significant impact regarding potential risk.

Same as shooting, if you go into it like a cowboy s**t can happen. Be safe and you'll stay safe.

Approach it the same way, Wayne. No drama.
Last edited by agentzero on 23 May 2016, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by agentzero » 23 May 2016, 11:48 am

darwindingo wrote:There are other additional protective measures one can take advantage of, such as chaps for example designed to clog the saw chain and help keep the level of injury in check.

The chainsaw chaps are actually pretty amazing IMO.

The first time I saw them and didn't understand what they actually did I was like WTF? Pants? That isn't going to stop anything! :lol:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by darwindingo » 23 May 2016, 10:09 pm

agentzero wrote:
darwindingo wrote:There are other additional protective measures one can take advantage of, such as chaps for example designed to clog the saw chain and help keep the level of injury in check.

The chainsaw chaps are actually pretty amazing IMO.

The first time I saw them and didn't understand what they actually did I was like WTF? Pants? That isn't going to stop anything! :lol:

Yeah I thought the same thing when I first saw them. But after seeing a bloke (accidentally) test his out while wearing them :shock: I now consider them a very worthy investment :thumbsup:

here is a link to one of the many demonstrations out there for anyone that has not seen what they can do :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLl4 ... 0ejn7wB9vM

Cheers

Jeff

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Releb » 24 May 2016, 11:57 am

That would sure as hell get your attention :lol:
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 25 May 2016, 9:19 pm

Releb wrote:That would sure as hell get your attention :lol:

I can assure you it certainly got my attention :shock: and it obviously got his :lol:, seriously though the lucky part was that he ignored the hard time he had been getting from his mates for wearing all the safety gear :thumbsdown: , so much so that it almost caused him to not wear them anymore :crazy: . According to him though, after the fact they are all quiet now :silent: .... :lol:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Lorgar » 28 Sep 2016, 2:28 pm

A little update on my Oleo Mac 937.

Been put through it's paces a dozen more times in the last month. Starts good every time now, turns out the flooding was definitely my fault due to treating it like my old dog of a saw, not the better quality piece it is.

Uses about a tank of fuel each job, run two strokes of the sharpener over it at the end of each use, cuts just as good every time so far.

Works very well for a little saw and $400. Happily recommend for someone doing similar work.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Sep 2016, 3:06 pm

Good to hear mate, mines about 12-15yrs old now I guess and still starts and goes like the clappers, can't fault them at all, simple air filtration system which is quick and efficient to service, still haven't changed filters in the tanks and really should do that I guess.

I gave mine a quick tune the other day and its purrring like a kitten, I'm amazed how big the wood is this thing cuts to be honest, way about what it should LOL
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Sep 2016, 6:46 pm

Bow saw, doesn't need fuel. :lol:
Got sick of unreliable chain saws years ago. Just means a smaller fire.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Sep 2016, 7:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Bow saw, doesn't need fuel. :lol:
Got sick of unreliable chain saws years ago. Just means a smaller fire.

I went the other way, got sick of blunt bow saws and blisters :lol: Threw the father in laws one out the other day as I realised it would never see action ever again so no point owning it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2016, 2:51 pm

Picked this bad boy up the other day 94cc of pure muscle, a very nice saw to use indeed, it's running a 24-26" bar (haven't measured it as yet) and even that's a bit short for some of the wood around here but still doable (just have to climb over em to the other side and cut that. The XP is the Husky Professional Range, These particular ones are highly sought after by farmers and serious cutters for their durability and pure grunt to get the job done without fuss.

I've got some big apple box trees 1.5m + to cut off fence lines so figured I'd better get something with a bit more grunt and longer bar and happened upon this whilst at my mates place, soon after a deal was done. :D

I've just been out mucking about with it to see how it would go in some hard wood - absolutely lovely to use, heavy at around 7kg but awesome in wood, you let it do all the work and it just pulls and pulls and pulls. I've got all the diff sizes covered now from a small Oleomac, to a couple of medium 50cc+ saws to the 94cc job now so I'm set to tackle anything.

Last edited by bigfellascott on 30 Oct 2016, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 29 Oct 2016, 7:33 pm

Nice one Bigfella.. The 394's are a very tough saw, used one with (from memory) a 38 inch bar on it few years back, only had about an inch hanging out the other side of the log's... They are nice ballsy saws mate.. :thumbsup:

How much $ she cost ya ?

:drinks:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2016, 7:47 pm

darwindingo wrote:Nice one Bigfella.. The 394's are a very tough saw, used one with (from memory) a 38 inch bar on it few years back, only had about an inch hanging out the other side of the log's... They are nice ballsy saws mate.. :thumbsup:

How much $ she cost ya ?

Jeff

She was $800 (not cheap but worth it, hasn't done a huge amount of work so should be good for some time yet, it will manly be used for the bigger stuff around the place and the Stihl 029 super will do most of the cutting duties along with the Jonsereds 621. :thumbsup:

I think they can run a 48" bar on em but don't quote me on it (sure I read it somewhere recently) that would be one hell of a tree to need a bar that size mate! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 29 Oct 2016, 8:02 pm

Don't like my chances but I'll give ya $801 for her ? ;)

Anyone that requires 48 inches is doing some serious a$$ cutting... :shock:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2016, 9:54 pm

darwindingo wrote:Don't like my chances but I'll give ya $801 for her ? ;)

Anyone that requires 48 inches is doing some serious a$$ cutting... :shock:

No dice, took a long time to find one. Yes I certainly wouldn't like to be hanging off it cutting something that bloody big especially if it's still standing! :D I don't particularly like cutting trees down, too much can go wrong and often does, I'm happy to let mother nature knock em over for me and then I just cut em up from there. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 29 Oct 2016, 10:29 pm

Doh, worth a try...

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Oct 2016, 5:16 am

darwindingo wrote:Doh, worth a try...

:lol: No harm in tryin but when this one falls over it will just be rebuilt and put back into service (they are the type of saw worth keeping and rebuilding when needed, as I'm sure you are aware) hard part will no doubt be trying to source the parts to do so into the future so might have to start collecting parts I guess. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 30 Oct 2016, 1:52 pm

Well, haven't we lost the plot.... :sarcasm:

Since when is a 94cc Chainsaw the "Best Chainsaw for Camping. Quite the opposite. :lol:

Honestly BigFellaScott, when are you going to get a decent chainsaw. These things under 100cc are just toys. :allegedly:

AppleBox which is somewhere between Softwood and a very light Hardwood doesn't really make the grade but begger's can't be chooser's at least it sorta burns. Now when you want to play with some decent wood like White/Yellow Box you might need a saw with some grunt, especially if the wood is very dry and a little 125cc Sthil with a .404 pitch chain, 26" Bar is quite fun to use. Makes short work of the task even if the log is rather big in diameter. :thumbsup:

Felling large trees isn't all that dangerous if you are trained and know what you are doing with the correct equipment. It is far more dangerous attacking a tree that has fallen down and laying proud of the ground. Getting it on the ground and not held up by branches is the dangerous task if you attack it the wrong way. To anyone that is not trained and out in the wild that comes across a downed tree say over the track, be very careful how you treat it and avoid the dangers of jamming a saw blade or even worse have it roll over onto you. It is really a dangerous game for the unwary.

Many years ago I was faced with the task of cutting a tree down that was around 2-2.5 metres in diameter around the base, I had a 75cc Saw (Partner) with a 24" Blade and when I got to the part of actually being inside the tree trunk making cuts it left one feeling quite scared but it all had a huge satisfaction making the final cuts to fell the tree and hear it crash to the ground. Some 40 metres tall it really shook the ground. A couple / few weeks later I had it all cut up, transported and sold. Even though it may have been dead (standing) for many decades it was still quite moist inside and not the best firewood.

Don't think that is a Chainsaw for Camping task and saw either but it would have kept the camp fire going for some years..... :drinks:

My go to handy, do all tasks and carry around saw is a Stihl 023C (40cc) with 14" Blade, same as an MS230. Full Chisel (Micro) Chain and boy doesn't that cut but you must look after the cutters, no dirt and certainly don't let it even dull the slightest.

BTW... Is it my old age and seeing double or is there some other reason for the same photo twice.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Oct 2016, 3:31 pm

The apple box ain't worth burning, just gotta get it off the fence line so the fence can be repaired. I think there's a few on the fence line along with some others that should make some good posts (iron bark from memory)

And yep its not what I would class as a chainsaw for camping either (got plenty of others to choose from for that duty) this one was more a want than need but I do love using it that is for sure. :drinks:

Your saw sounds like a rippa Lindsay, I like the 029 super or the Jonsereds 621 I have, both are great for the average wood cutting needs and perfect for camping duties too.

Not sure why there are 2 pics the same. :unknown: will edit the post. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 31 Oct 2016, 1:53 pm

A bit of trivia.... :)

The Eucalyptus know as Apple Box around here is actually two different types, one that grows on the higher drier country and then another that grows in the lower wet areas. The wet area one also known as But-but is soft and not really a hardwood. It doesn't burn very well at all, if at all and leaves black coals that just go out. The other is also known as Bundy and is quite heavy and dense, burns very well and hard to tell much different to box wood as it leaves very little charcoal and white dust as ash. Some call it Barstard Box with leaves that are nothing like any of the other Box Trees.

Very hard to tell when dead until a saw cut is made and/or pick up a piece. One is very light and cuts like crazy, the other is no different really to cutting a piece of yellow or white box.

Koala's like Apple Box and my cattle like chasing Koala's along the ground until they climb and don't come down for hours. It's quite funny to watch when it happens but I usually distract the cattle with some feed to give the little bears a chance to move on.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Oct 2016, 8:12 pm

Thanks for that Lindsay, not sure what version these trees are but will keep an eye out for the differences, if it's worth turning into firewood it will be if not it will be left to rot I guess.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

PreviousNext

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation