Where to buy after market chassis

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Where to buy after market chassis

Post by juststarting » 02 Nov 2016, 8:40 pm

Hi All

Since my Tikka has been moved into range gun category, I'd like to get some funky after market chassis for it. Nothing crazy expensive, I assume they market them for accuracy but I just want to go tacticool, because why not.

Can anyone suggest where I would start looking for a Tikka T3 CTR 308 after market chassis, in Australia? Can order from o/s, but I am not sure if it's just viewed as normal stuff that can be sent without export/import craziness.

thanks
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Where to buy after market chassis

Post by bladeracer » 02 Nov 2016, 9:15 pm

juststarting wrote:Hi All

Since my Tikka has been moved into range gun category, I'd like to get some funky after market chassis for it. Nothing crazy expensive, I assume they market them for accuracy but I just want to go tacticool, because why not.

Can anyone suggest where I would start looking for a Tikka T3 CTR 308 after market chassis, in Australia? Can order from o/s, but I am not sure if it's just viewed as normal stuff that can be sent without export/import craziness.

thanks

These are really not my thing but I accidentally bought an MDT LSS chassis for the Ruger Americans a couple weeks ago.
The 10-rd mag only arrived on Friday and I've been concentrating on the 6.5 Swede and Carcano so I haven't tried it out yet.
Hoping to shoot some groups with a bunch of rifles tomorrow though.

I actually ordered the LSS-22 as a basis for a bullpup design for the American Rimfire but got sent me the wrong one :-)
I like the design though, and some research shows it has a decent reputation for accuracy so I decided to keep it. It's very rigidly attached to the receiver only, using the included steel recoil lugs and longer screws.
The chassis, buffer tube and castle nut, pistol grip, collapsible stock and magazine cost significantly more than I paid for the rifle though.

It has the 7mm-08 in it for now with the .308 mag and I'm particularly interested to see if point-of-impact changes when swapping the actions in and out of the chassis. Attachment is only two screws so I could conceivably swap in any of my Ruger Americans in a minute or less.
A particular bonus is that using the AICS mags does away with the less-than-ideal Ruger rotary mags.

Two minor bugs are that the bolt release pin is free to fall out (normally held in place by the stock) so I have a piece of tape over that.
And you have to remove the mag release to access the action screw - annoying but it's easy enough to do at a bench.
Oh, and it seems to have some sort of proprietary pic rail mounting so I'll have to drill some rails to fit it.
Attachments
MDT LSS Ruger American.jpg
MDT LSS Ruger American.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 10452 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 02 Nov 2016, 9:57 pm

Off the top of my head
KLR whiskey and x-ray
Mdt
GRS
Blackhawk

Gun works and emporium can order them
Sunbury firearms

There are others but there is a starting point for pricing etc
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 02 Nov 2016, 10:18 pm

I'm still tempted to make a folding stock short barrelled howa 1500 as well on the LSS platform for s**ts and gigs.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 02 Nov 2016, 10:26 pm

Coolies. Thanks.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 03 Nov 2016, 10:15 am

Speaking of MDT chassis and howa 1500, I see the howa 1500 with an MDT chassis with all the other tacticool accessories etc installed, priced at a shade under 2K chambered in .223. Being a newbie, how much of an improvement to accuracy or other attributes does all the aftermarket customization actually add to the stock howa 1500? and is the 2K price what you'd expect for such a setup or is it a gouge? Cheers.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 03 Nov 2016, 11:01 am

IMHO the stock for the default howa 1500 is a piece of dog turd and flex way to much for my liking. From at I have read and what I saw with my one in the MDT chassis you get a roughly %15-20 increase in accuracy so that's really not to bad, however when you add alll the other wize bang accessories to it, well they get kinda heavy. For the price 2k isn't that bad you could probs do it yourself for $1800 I think. It's n that hard just get all the items on it and put them in your cart and compare prices :P they aren't hard to install, I did mine without a gunsmith.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2016, 2:13 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:IMHO the stock for the default howa 1500 is a piece of dog turd and flex way to much for my liking. From at I have read and what I saw with my one in the MDT chassis you get a roughly %15-20 increase in accuracy so that's really not to bad, however when you add alll the other wize bang accessories to it, well they get kinda heavy. For the price 2k isn't that bad you could probs do it yourself for $1800 I think. It's n that hard just get all the items on it and put them in your cart and compare prices :P they aren't hard to install, I did mine without a gunsmith.

My scoped Ruger american went from 3.97kg to 4.57kg with the MDT chassis. Add the bipod and ten rounds of 7mm-08 and it's right on 5kg.

For the Ruger American 7mm-08 I paid $529 with a PoS scope package on it. Add shipping and transfer and it cost me $620.
I already had the pistol grip and stock so I had to buy the chassis, buffer tube, castle nut, single-point sling attachment, and the 10-rd AICS .308 magazine.
Complete cost for the chassis (including the bits I already had) was around $660. Add shipping on the various bits and the chassis cost me roughly $750 ready to go.
The AR Optics 4.5-18x40 scopes cost me around $270 (I have four so far) plus some rings. The Rugers come with rails.
In my hands, scoped and ready to shoot cost was around $1750 I guess.
I still need a .223 mag for the smaller cartridges but MDT say that the .204 does not feed well from the AICS mag. When I get a mag I'll see if I can get that to function reliably with the .204.

The LSS-22 chassis I originally ordered is similar in costs except it uses the stock Ruger rotary mags.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Medic » 03 Nov 2016, 2:43 pm

I have a Howa 1500 with the MDT chassis (More bulky one- MDT HS3 CHASSIS) and though a little on the heavy side with a fluted barrel and the MDT chassis it is a bull**** accurate shooter in both 308 and 223 and doesn't "Feel" all that heavy. Noticibly more then my A-bolt III thought. I was going to buy the more lightweight stock pictured above for the 223, because it A: looks cool, and B: Looks lighter to lug around around the bush.
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 03 Nov 2016, 2:54 pm

Awesome to know mate! As I'll probably go down a similar route (if not the exact same) as you. Yes I was referring to the HS3 chassis anyway. But that's way later down the road though.

Only question is, what scope did you put on it? :D
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2016, 2:57 pm

Medic wrote:I have a Howa 1500 with the MDT chassis (More bulky one- MDT HS3 CHASSIS) and though a little on the heavy side with a fluted barrel and the MDT chassis it is a bull**** accurate shooter in both 308 and 223 and doesn't "Feel" all that heavy. Noticibly more then my A-bolt III thought. I was going to buy the more lightweight stock pictured above for the 223, because it A: looks cool, and B: Looks lighter to lug around around the bush.

Are you able to weigh your rifle?
I'd be interested in the comparison is all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 03 Nov 2016, 8:52 pm

i put a tikka t3 super varmint on a MDT HS3 chassis with the MDT V3 butt stock shoots awesome and recoils really nice seems to go straigh back doesnt seem to jump any more you wont be disappointed in getting one
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Homer » 04 Nov 2016, 7:09 am

G'Day Fella's,

Just Starting, if you would like The Best Chassis stock available, check out these Australian made stocks!
http://www.gcpdarms.com also, check them out on Face Book at GC Precision Developments.
A bit expensive yes but just save up for it, as they are streets ahead of anything else thats available (in Design, Precision and Quality of Finish)!
I will be picking up my Remington version, in a week or so.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Nov 2016, 2:03 pm

I like the MDT LSS I reckon it's a great chassis, the only other one I would consider would be the MDT LSS-XL
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Nov 2016, 6:23 pm

I can confirm that swapping the American from it's plastic stock into the LSS chassis had no effect on the zero.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles