Omark 44 vs newer rifles

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Omark 44 vs newer rifles

Post by Blackened » 20 Mar 2015, 7:28 am

Deleted the offending posts above.

There is no place for that here.

Forced holiday for anyone who can't keep their language civil.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 20 Mar 2015, 8:22 am

NuZo wrote:Yeah, she's been bubba'd but she shoots great!

She's been what? :lol:
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Yelp » 20 Mar 2015, 8:23 am

NuZo wrote:Best $250 I've spent on a rifle ever!

1/4 MOA for $250. Noice.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 20 Mar 2015, 8:27 am

Sharing knowledge:

This was published many, many years ago and gives a brief insight into the trigger, use at your own peril.

A hint, click on the picture and it will present full size on the screen.

trigger omark.jpg
trigger omark.jpg (137.19 KiB) Viewed 13949 times

It may also be useful to have a copy of this in a dedicated thread to omark inforation.

Especially useful for those encountering the Omark/sportco for the first time.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Harper » 20 Mar 2015, 8:35 am

In fact, that adjustment screw had been turned right out amd was held in place by a piece of adhesive tape wrapped around the trigger block

:crazy: :unknown:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Warrigul » 20 Mar 2015, 10:17 am

melanie wrote:
NuZo wrote:Yeah, she's been bubba'd but she shoots great!

She's been what? :lol:

Bubba, generally dumb bastards who chop guns and stocks to supposedly improve them but in reality stuffs them. More a military collectors term referring to those individuals who "sporterise" military firearms.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bluerob » 21 Mar 2015, 4:13 am

Warrigul wrote:Sharing knowledge:

This was published many, many years ago and gives a brief insight into the trigger, use at your own peril.

A hint, click on the picture and it will present full size on the screen.

trigger omark.jpg

It may also be useful to have a copy of this in a dedicated thread to omark inforation.

Especially useful for those encountering the Omark/sportco for the first time.

Thanks for this.

I'm about to "bubba" an Omark with GRS stock. I shot this rifle in the 1980's.

I looked at getting a Sako TRG22. I'm not an expert on guns, but, the Omark will do me fine. It shot centre bulls at 1000m. Don't know that I'll do that again.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 22 Mar 2015, 1:15 pm

Warrigul wrote:Bubba, generally dumb bastards who chop guns and stocks to supposedly improve them but in reality stuffs them. More a military collectors term referring to those individuals who "sporterise" military firearms.

Ah yeah, I've seen some of the joke topics now you mention it :D
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 17 Dec 2015, 7:13 pm

I have 2 omarks one in 308 and another that i have just fitted a 223 barrel to,
The 223 barrel cost me an arm and a leg i didn't want the adaptor so it's the last new Nab barrel made for a omark action , I have only shot it at 50 m at St mary's without a scope just sighting along the barrel and I was impressed the other omark is a boring rifle keeps shooting through the same hole even with factory loads must take it out to Malabar see how they go over a real distance that will probably be next year now.
As for parts I am starting my collection I have a 308 barrel and bolt head now haha Question has anyone ever seen an Omark set up in 243 im sure I saw one the other week just cant rember where
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by 6mmdasher » 18 Dec 2015, 12:13 pm

Having ovned and shot and built many omarks over the past twenty or so years it would be very hard to find a better shooting rifle at any price. They have very few draw backs and parts are availiable from TSE in Queensland. The only breakage I have ever scene is one broken extracter! Fitter with an adapter and a new barrel such as a Maddco, trueflite or TSE they will out shoot any factory gun reguardless of price. I have built them in 223,22BR, 6mm PPC, 6MM BR, 7 x 57 ack imp as well as 308. try hanging a No7 Profile 30 inch Barrel off any modern repeater action, The bedding platform of an Omark is very hard to beat. They may not be a cool tactical looking rifle but I prefer my guns to shoot!
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Khan » 05 Jan 2016, 9:31 am

6mmdasher wrote:They may not be a cool tactical looking rifle but I prefer my guns to shoot!

Doesn't bother me as long as the paper at the other end looks good after shooting ;)
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by mrnic » 05 Apr 2016, 3:17 pm

Hi there. I have been silent in the back ground listening and learning for a very long time. I started shooting 24 months ago. My first rifle was a marlin x7vh .308. I quickly realized i wanted to get into long range precision shooting and would need a better rifle. I bought my first omark not long after after reading this thread and a couple others threads. I fell in love with the rifle and now have 3 of them in very good condition. The first one i purchase was a model b. Very late one. I shot the s**t out of it for 12 months groups started widening so i purchase a 2 stage davies trigger a davies 20moa rail sent the whole thing to allen swan gunsmith and now uave a beautiful omark with swan 27inch br profile barrel in stainless steel. And 6.5-284 norma Custom swan muzzle brake custom tactical bolt handel mod. Custom adaptor made from old barrel custom trigger guard re floated to fit the big fat barrel and glass bedded action in to a beautiful original hard wood last model omark stock. So i thank you all for getting me onto the old omark. I absolutely love this rifle and look forward to hitting the range thus weekend to run her in.
mrnic
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wayward » 13 Apr 2016, 9:52 am

She sounds like a beaut :D
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by smlekid » 29 Oct 2016, 2:08 pm

I'm a bit late in on this topic so here goes
I started shootimg F Class a few years ago with an Omark 308 that someone had spent a bit of money on it was fitted with a 30" stainless fluted barrel and it shot very well
I decided to try F Open and looked at rifles and prices for modern target actions I really couldn't justify the cost of these actions and decided to buy an Omark and have it rebarreled well it kind of snowballed into a complete F class rifle that cost not much more than a modern target action it shoots very very well
the parts list
30" Krieger Light Varmit barrel
Maddco adapter
Davies 2 stage trigger
Richards Microfit stock in Electric Blue
nightforce 20moa rail
calibre is 6.5 Super LR I can launch a 140gr bullet at 3000fps with this round
smlekid
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sydneywizard » 09 Nov 2016, 5:51 am

That's a absolute beauty @smlekid.
Sydneywizard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by smlekid » 12 Nov 2016, 5:23 pm

Sydneywizard wrote:That's a absolute beauty @smlekid.

Thanks mate rifle was built by Jerome Ziersh can't recommend him highly enough first class workmanship
smlekid
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Omark44 » 14 Nov 2016, 1:10 pm

Well for what it is worth I shoot an Omark model 44 with bisley chamber madco barrel Davies trigger and it is just fantastic and will out shoot most riffles in my club. I'm not the greatest shooter out there and struggle reading mirage and wind but at 500 yards shot 65.5 on Saturday in poor conditions. There is plenty of big money riffles in our club and I can out shoot them 99 percent of the time with my old Omark. We have at least five shooters using them and they all shoot well. I know my riffle is not stock but with a little effort on reloading they shoot fantastic. I will not buy anything other than this budget riffle. It groups well at any distance is a pleasure to shoot. I handed it to a mate to have a go with it at 500 yards and on his first ever shoot of a 308 only dropped three points over 13 shots and shot six supers with the very first go. Now I'm no expert but there are plenty of riffles that have cost in excess of six thousand dollars that do not shoot any better than the Omark I shoot. For a new shooter just entering the full bore shooting an Omark would be a good starting point so long as you buy a good one to start with.
Omark44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wayne_tri62 » 20 Nov 2016, 2:10 pm

Hi... I am super new to Fullbore TR competition and shooting (very new) I obtained a great condition Omark.. it was a country club rifle with very very very little use.. Still original barrel, has Centra 4 sights.. nothing flash.. made in the 70s and great condition... experience shooters at Muckadilla Rifle club, rave about the condition and price
I have been to the range twice to shoot it,,, last week was at 600 metres for the first time... (all other equipment is borrowed). I hit bulls and V's with a coach next to me.. I will keep this rifle for ever... Will rebuild if necessary... I really want an adjustable stock. and have the ability at a later date to replace the barrel...
I shoot 155 Palma ammo from Qstore (Brisbane).
Advice on Stock and future barrel replacement would be appreciated
I will be doing my first ever competition in May 2017. . But this rifle is the bomb, and I was amazed that with advice from a coach and doing my part, that my first time at 600m was so successful..... Omark rule
Wayne_tri62
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by simmo » 23 Dec 2016, 11:13 pm

I started Fullbore rifle shooting about 5yrs ago and learned to shoot on an omark, I then brought one as my first rifle and I dearly regret selling it :( would love to have placed a scope on it.

You can learn a lot from a reasonable omark as they can still shoot well when properly looked after.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 21 Jan 2017, 7:25 am

There appears to be a few delusional posts on this thread, seemingly from those who are dazzled and impressed by shiny objects.
There is only one source of accuracy in a rifle and that is it's barrel and chambering, everything else that is attached to that barrel, ie those things that are necessary to make the system work, may detract from that potential accuracy to a lesser or greater extent.
Think about that statement a while!
So for those who think buying a new Suzuki Metro to use as a race car is preferable to fixing up an old Falcon GT, good luck.
I have a particular fondness for some Tikka lovers who feel comfortable heavily spruiking on forums such as this. Tikkas are a high profit margin product so there is plenty of marketing money to pay for all kinds of advertising including stooges to put glowing reports on forums.
The reality is they follow the pareto principle like most manufactured products do. That is the 80/20 rule, 80% will be average, 10% real good and 10% not so good.
A further reality is they are the Sako cheapie and as all the Sako barrels come out of the same hammer forging machine which product line do you think will get the selected better barrels?
Omarks are not without faults but pretty well all of them have been identified and the knowledge is available to rectify.
As for the reasons Omarks have fallen from favour among the top fullbore shooters the main one hasn't been mentioned. That is when a top shooter wins a couple of major competitions with any kind of new equipment other top shooters quickly follow suit.
In the end you must decide what it is that you really want.
Is it a true target rifle or a hunting cum tactical rifle.
It is foolish to criticize one for not being the other.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 23 Jan 2017, 12:23 pm

You forgot the rebarreling process for a Omark adds another link in that series of parts that need to be perfect so as not to detract from accuracy.

Not being an expert on the matter but my understanding is that the Omark had an obsolete tenon system that requires an adapter for rebarrelling. This may also contribute to their fall from favour for dedicated target shooters who rebarrel their rifle every few seasons or sooner.

That said, there are two Omarks at my club that shoot like stink with the right person behind them. Perfect, affordable entry level rifle for target shooting that has every chance of keeping up with the big boys.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Omark61 » 01 Jun 2017, 7:30 pm

Re Omark.
I have had over the last 20 years owned and shot at least seven of these rifles.
Never broken one. Used originally for pest control on our station. The most I paid for one was $400, that was special as it had an adapter and 30" stainless barrel. I purchased most of them from the range store. A couple from gun dealers.
There are better actions, yes, but you will not in my opinion find one as good as the Omark for the money.
I still have two Omark rifles, a 308 and another converted to a 6mm BR / 22 BR swap barrel.
Cheers
Omark61
Omark61
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2017, 7:29 am

Taking up f-class, Bentas?? ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2017, 4:50 pm

Perfect choice for a bit of plunking at range. Bugger the Ruger, a $500 Omark will put a hole in the bull just the same or better. We are thinking of getting one as a club rifle for new comers to try out the game. A couple of members have them and one has shot 2 possibles (60/60) at 500yds in the last 2 years. Very capable rifle is you get your hands on s good, clean example.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2017, 8:21 pm

308 or 223?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2017, 10:29 pm

i would consider something like a Vortex HST 3-15x50.
The two main factors to consider are elevation range and scope tracking accuracy.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Templar1975 » 30 Jul 2017, 1:51 pm

I have an old Omark 44 in .308 I bought from a club member when I took up f-class, came with a 6-24x Tasco scope and it shoots very very well.
Paid $300 for it including the scope and most definitely don't regret it!

I usually average from 55-57 most weekends, last was a 57 with 3 at 600 yards with my own loads.
Templar1975
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 30 Jul 2017, 3:23 pm

Afternoon All,

Was doing some spring cleaning today and stumbled across an old document, (scanned copy of the original)
it is "What you Should Know About the Sportco 44" gives you an overview about the rifle, Cleaning Instructions, How to dismantle the bolt, trigger adjustment, Specs and parts breakdown.

Would be happy to share it around, I scanned it onto the computer so could email it out.
If anyone wants a copy for send me a message.
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Steviegee » 18 Aug 2017, 11:13 pm

Looking at getting into f class shooting if anybody knows were i can get an omark 308
Steviegee
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Mulder030 » 19 Aug 2017, 9:21 am

There are a few rifles for sale on the usual websites. I picked mine up from talking to members at the club.
usedguns.com.au
ssaagunsales,com
ozgunsales.com
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges