Anyone given up pistol license because of attendance reqs?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Anyone given up pistol license because of attendance reqs?

Post by Bark » 03 Jan 2017, 3:42 pm

I'm back to thinking about getting my pistol license again but the mandatory shoots thing keeps coming back to me as a pain in the ass :|

Just wondering if anyone has gone through the process and later given up their pistol license because they couldn't be stuffed with the attendance requirements?
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Anyone given up pistol license because of attendance req

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Jan 2017, 4:20 pm

We have had a few members chuck it in, mainly due to work or family commitments.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 03 Jan 2017, 4:45 pm

In nsw its 6 shoots per year. Thats one every two months.. if thats to much a pain in the arse then dont take it up again...
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 03 Jan 2017, 5:17 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 02 Mar 2017, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Jan 2017, 6:23 pm

happyhunter wrote:Dunno about that. I know a couple blokes that own one shotgun, nothing else, and only shoot at duck season. Family and work take most their time. Shame pistol shooters don't have that freedom.

Yeah but given the only legitimate use is club use, if you think you can't be bothered going to the club to shoot and have a hell of a lot of fun 6 times a year, don't bother worrying about getting a handgun........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Jan 2017, 6:55 pm

I would love to get my pistol license.

A 6 shooter revolver or two would be nice but being as busy as I am it's not likely that I could meet the demands of getting to a range and completing the required number of club shoots given the fact that clubs aren't open every day and their opening houre are limited.

I guess the system is working just as planned, just like thousands of other potential pistol owners I've put it in the too hard basket.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cryptic » 03 Jan 2017, 7:37 pm

How is it hard. Hell with rolling comps you can do 6 comps in a week if you were so inclined. 6 or 4 per gun a year is bugger all.
Our club has every Sun a comp and a fortnightly Tues comp night or you just ask them whenever you are there if you can do a rolling comp which counts to the 6.
I am sure if annoyingly your club only opens 1 day a week you can still go to other clubs and do theirs including rolling comps.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 03 Jan 2017, 8:05 pm

Its on my list to get just as soon as I know where I'm moving to, most clubs are over 30min from my home
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Jan 2017, 8:39 pm

Cryptic wrote:How is it hard. Hell with rolling comps you can do 6 comps in a week if you were so inclined. 6 or 4 per gun a year is bugger all.
Our club has every Sun a comp and a fortnightly Tues comp night or you just ask them whenever you are there if you can do a rolling comp which counts to the 6.
I am sure if annoyingly your club only opens 1 day a week you can still go to other clubs and do theirs including rolling comps.

That's all good if you work 5 days a week and live somewhere within reasonable distance from a club.

I up at 4am and and knock off work at 6pm, and work most weekends.
On the days that I do have off the wife gets bussy with work from 6 to 6 and I'm on Mr Mum dutys.

Living in country SA, there is no club anywhere even remotely nearby that dose night shoots.

How hard is it you ask ? .... pretty much impossible.

Luckily for me I can shoot rifles at night pretty much any night of the week provided I've got the energy left.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 03 Jan 2017, 8:57 pm

If for some reason you can't meet the requirements and you still want a handgun. Then get a collectors licence, this way you don't need to follow magazine capacity and barrel length restrictions and you get to keep functional handguns in your home. There are storage requirements that must be meant but nothing drastic, a trigger lock being one. Collectors licences are also cheap, if money is a concern, though you may need to install an alarm (don't quote me on this) and provide a reason as to why you are collecting a certain type of handgun (military/law enforcement handguns or WW2 handguns for example).
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 03 Jan 2017, 9:34 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 02 Mar 2017, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Jan 2017, 9:42 pm

I've been through the whole young kids, working stupid hours, no spare cash scenario. It sucks. The good thing is life goes on. Make the most out of what you have got, and remember that circumstances change, kids grow up and your time becomes your own again....... Eventually!
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Cryptic » 03 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Cryptic wrote:How is it hard. Hell with rolling comps you can do 6 comps in a week if you were so inclined. 6 or 4 per gun a year is bugger all.

That's all good if you work 5 days a week and live somewhere within reasonable distance from a club.

On the days that I do have off the wife gets bussy with work from 6 to 6 and I'm on Mr Mum dutys.

Living in country SA, there is no club anywhere even remotely nearby that dose night shoots.

Luckily for me I can shoot rifles at night pretty much any night of the week provided I've got the energy left.

So why do you even want a pistol then. By the sounds of that your havent even got time or access to be going to a range to use it for general shooting let alone comps. Better of with collectors licence.
If it just for the sake of having a pistol in your collection get a collectors licence.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 03 Jan 2017, 10:27 pm

I wasnt directing the how hard is it response at you originally on-one-wheel I just happened to comment after you made a comment about it being hard.

Most clubs have a walk in comp you can do anytime for this specific reason so that people who cant make the scheduled comps can practice and mark off at same time.
So if you intend to go have a general shoot usually you can pay the few bucks get a participation shoot marked while you are there.
If you dont intend to visit a pistol range 6 times in a year for even fun/practice shoots then why bother owning is what I am getting at.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 03 Jan 2017, 11:28 pm

Just counted them up last year I had 64 range attendances this does not count hunting in state forests all had a pistol shot of some kind normaly rimfire and centerfire I work every night till 10:30 so some tuesdays mornings but normaly saturday I go shooting .Takes 35min drive each way
Then we have her mum in one nursing home my parents are still living on their own but you still have to see them help with home cleaning and maintenance every couple of days , I have children to see and Grandkids (all my grandkids have left home and live at their own 3 places ) we get round there bout 1/2 times a month and lets not forget the MRs if we dont go out dancing at least 2 times a week im in the dog house
The point im making is we all have commitments my Hobbie is shooting has be since I was 12 so I shoot , if you find 6 shoots a year Hard dont get a pistol licence go collectors but to me thats asking for trouble cause I would want to shoot it . lol just read that and now i know why i never get to reload
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2017, 1:01 am

on_one_wheel wrote:

I don't see how you could have sufficient interest to want to compete if you can't even find the time to attend a range - complete waste of time getting a pistol licence if you aren't interested in regular competition. That's why I haven't bothered again since moving to Victoria.

When I was working in the Kimberley for two years I had to fly to Perth or jump a bus to Darwin every eight-weeks to compete. I could attend the Kununnurra Pistol Club but they only shot "stand-and-take-deliberate-aim" rubbish that I couldn't be bothered with, they didn't even use holsters!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 04 Jan 2017, 1:45 am

I am off to Belmonts lone range hand gun club tomorrow to check out how hard it is to acquire a hand gun
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Jan 2017, 8:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

I don't see how you could have sufficient interest to want to compete if you can't even find the time to attend a range - complete waste of time getting a pistol licence if you aren't interested in regular competition. That's why I haven't bothered again since moving to Victoria.

When I was working in the Kimberley for two years I had to fly to Perth or jump a bus to Darwin every eight-weeks to compete. I could attend the Kununnurra Pistol Club but they only shot "stand-and-take-deliberate-aim" rubbish that I couldn't be bothered with, they didn't even use holsters!

I never said that I want to compete, I said I'd like to have a revolver or two. :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2017, 9:10 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I never said that I want to compete, I said I'd like to have a revolver or two. :thumbsup:

For what purpose though?

If you aren't going to shoot them competitively, and are happy to put your money into firearms you can't actually use, then get a collector's licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Jan 2017, 2:25 am

For your information, VICTORIA ONLY, people interested in the history and use of firearms can join a collectors club, and here in Vic, purchase any pre-1947 handgun that fits there declared theme. They can also use that handgun at declared "collectors shoots" appx 4 times per year (that is to say allowed, not compulsory). Some organizations may have more than 4 declared events, but many are "themed" so your own handgun may not meet that theme. Getting a licence is not as easy as some have posted, but not excessive either, but storage is quite tough. Not really hard, but more than just for handgun. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jan 2017, 1:11 pm

Owning a Handgun is one side of firearms use that never really appealed to me for some reason, I guess it because it's not designed for hunting as it were so of no use to me (I can't be fooked with all the range crap so it was never going to happen - I've got a few mates that own em and they seem to enjoy them and we have a pistol club 10mins from home if I ever change my mind but I can't honestly see it happening.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Jan 2017, 1:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I never said that I want to compete, I said I'd like to have a revolver or two. :thumbsup:

For what purpose though?

If you aren't going to shoot them competitively, and are happy to put your money into firearms you can't actually use, then get a collector's licence.

For a second I thought you were taking the same line as our screwball government with all this justification stuff.
I've got plenty of personal belongings that I have difficulty justifying. Luckily for me I don't need to justify having them to our government. .... yet.

There lays the biggest single problem with the whole pistol licence thing.

What's wrong with owning one purely to smack cans off a fence post on the farm once in a while and also just enjoy it as a peice of functional mechanical artwork ? ... Stupid rules.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 05 Jan 2017, 3:24 pm

I got where bark was going from the beginning and I would get right into this but it does say at the bottom of the page not to discuss illegal activities.If I join the club and end up with a six shooter in .22 It will not be left behind when I go to the farm.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Jan 2017, 3:28 pm

duncan61 wrote:I got where bark was going from the beginning and I would get right into this but it does say at the bottom of the page not to discuss illegal activities.If I join the club and end up with a six shooter in .22 It will not be left behind when I go to the farm.

AHH MY EYES !!! :shock: someone help me unsee these filthy words !
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 05 Jan 2017, 6:01 pm

I hope your jesting.I took some people I knew shooting once and one of them pulled out a home made pistol made for .22 WMR.we had a ball plinking and if you pulled 2 pins out it came apart and was easy as single shot break open.Its a bit different in W.A. as the only place you can discharge a firearm is on private property.For you wise men from the east I would not recommend strapping on a pair of Ruger blackhawks in .357 and wandering through state forests
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2017, 8:26 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:For a second I thought you were taking the same line as our screwball government with all this justification stuff.
I've got plenty of personal belongings that I have difficulty justifying. Luckily for me I don't need to justify having them to our government. .... yet.

There lays the biggest single problem with the whole pistol licence thing.

What's wrong with owning one purely to smack cans off a fence post on the farm once in a while and also just enjoy it as a peice of functional mechanical artwork ? ... Stupid rules.

I agree with you, handguns are fun toys. But until it becomes legal again to enjoy them for what they are, we are restricted to only using them on approved handgun ranges, which makes owning them pointless if you aren't interested in competition.
I was never interested in competition, but I was interested in learning to use handguns for practical purposes. IPSC was the only way to do that short of joining the military, and I practiced a lot more and shot a lot more ammo as a civilian than I would've been able to in the military.

IPSC gives you the holster work, reloading and firing on the move, shooting at and from unconventional positions in vehicles and structures, moving and partially-concealed targets and such things. But two important considerations are ignored in IPSC in my opinion. Almost all firing and all reloading should be done from cover, and all movement should be done from cover to cover. And there needs to be greater value placed on hitting your targets while avoiding spraying bullets into the background - every miss should be counted as a penalty. To qualify as "practical", instead of only requiring two holes _in_ a target, it should require only two shots _at_ the target to emphasise accuracy and conservation of ammunition. And I never saw any real world value in spraying bullets at steel poppers until they fall (what situation is that supposed to mimic from reality?).
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baz460 » 05 Jan 2017, 9:16 pm

Yeh, just sold my 460 SaW and Ruger Single Six. The Ruger was not so much of a problem as we have an indoor range here in town, but the 460, I had to travel over a couple of hundred klm's round trip to get it ticked off. I was just over it.

Cheers Baz.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by spEKTre » 06 Jan 2017, 9:30 am

I've seen literally 100+ quit our club over a decade because it was too onerous to make it to 1 every 6 weeks ( club requirement ) . There seems to be 3 kinds of people who obtain handguns..the ones that just want to have a pistol to own it ( usually self defense is the mind set ) ones that are interested in doing something different and end up liking the sport and the 3rd type which is usually in the handful that compete in comps. I would suggest to anyone who thinks this sport is something to dabble in to go and try something else because it is very onerous on the individual to firstly obtain a handgun and secondly to keep it.
spEKTre
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigM » 06 Jan 2017, 10:14 am

Really ?

I guess it depends where you live relative to the club you are a member of (I live 20 minutes away).
Last year I had no problems getting over 50 attendances and I work full time.

In NSW we need 6 attendances if you own 1 (or no) pistols.
8 attendances if you own 2 classes of pistols, which I do.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gun-nut » 06 Jan 2017, 10:05 pm

bigM wrote:Really ?

I guess it depends where you live relative to the club you are a member of (I live 20 minutes away).
Last year I had no problems getting over 50 attendances and I work full time.

In NSW we need 6 attendances if you own 1 (or no) pistols.
8 attendances if you own 2 classes of pistols, which I do.

Does the number of required shoots increase with the more handguns you own? Or do they only increase with the more classes of handguns you own?
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers