ATV noise when used for hunting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

ATV noise when used for hunting

Post by tucked » 17 Feb 2017, 10:30 am

I'm pretty sure a few blokes here hunt on ATV's?

Hopefully right... Question, how do you find the noise of them while hunting?

Things must hear you coming, do you rely on the rifle giving you the range that you can get some before they run or is it just par for the course that you lose a few targets to the noise?
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: ATV noise when used for hunting

Post by hunting99 » 19 Feb 2017, 7:44 am

I use a atv for a lot of hunting. I find that it is a lot better than a four weel drive.
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Adlippy » 19 Feb 2017, 1:06 pm

agreed a lot easier than a 4wd I use one on a orchard which uses them as a workhorse so the bunnies etc seem to get use to them which means you can almost drive straight up to them and take the shot BUT after doing this a few times the little buggers learn the noise of the bike means something bad is about to happen and disappear which then means you park up and walk
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Adlippy » 19 Feb 2017, 1:17 pm

agreed a lot easier than a 4wd I use one on a orchard which uses them as a workhorse so the bunnies etc seem to get use to them which means you can almost drive straight up to them and take the shot BUT after doing this a few times the little buggers learn the noise of the bike means something bad is about to happen and disappear which then means you park up and walk
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Feb 2017, 2:01 pm

Ferals on farms are used to the sound of ATV's and FWD's etc, so I wouldn't let it worry you too much, if you are concerned change the muffler for something that makes less noise (I know of a few who have done this) which seems to make them quite quiet in the end.

P.S. I think they used motor vehicle mufflers and ran them along the back of the ATV's to fit them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Browning » 19 Feb 2017, 5:21 pm

Use one all the time chasing pigs... With pigs it depends on the weather..... In summer there have been times when I've parked next to a pig hiding in the brigalow, walked over and popped him....Winter they are a lot spookier. (Mate of mine puts steel wool up the exhaust to quieter it)
Also great for chasing them if you find a big mob...
We send guys in on foot a lot to flush em out and a quad sits on the outside. (Works well)
The best use we've used them for was one farm were the farmer uses a drone.... His drone (phantom 4) can be set to follow a target. He hovers of the crop where the pigs are, sets the target, then we just follow the drone to where they run out of the crop...
Let's be honest, it's much easier opening gates and it's also just fun fangin around 15k acres on a quad/atv all day..
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2017, 10:39 am

I have a Grizzly 660 which although not LOUD like the high revving trail bikes are,, it does put out quite a deep thumping sound.
I have noticed riding around my place that eventually most game/ferals eventually hear it and take flight.
However, the roos seem to pick it up far earlier than anything else does, and they certainly dont hang around.

I have myself thought about fitting an extra muffler, but havent done so yet,,,, cos theres always something else that takes priority.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 21 Feb 2017, 12:42 pm

If and when i have a spare bit of cash lying around to throw away on unnecessary toys, this is the sort of thing i'll be getting. No noise issues, then! :D

dammit: forgot to add link!

http://www.bikesales.com.au/bnbis/OAG-A ... ss=Premium
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Feb 2017, 2:00 pm

Looks good G, just gotta remember to plug the bastard in before you want to use it (any idea how long they take to fully charge)? How do they compare to diesel or petrol in the power stakes for say carting wood etc?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Feb 2017, 7:40 pm

The specs say only 260kg payload BFS. I looked at a bunch of these ATV's for use on the farm, engine driven, and settled on the John Deere Gator due to the diesel engine and it had the best payload (500kg) in the cargo area. The others I looked at were aimed more at the recreation market, go faster, fancy looking, no payload.
Mine was bought to carry firewood, fencing gear and general maintenance around the farm. Easier to get in and out, access rough country and cheaper to run than a ute.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 22 Feb 2017, 7:36 am

Yeah, the Gator isn't a bad little machine. I drove one around a dairy farm a fair bit while i was milking. Much prefer the UTV idea than the old 'quad' (4 wheels of death!). So much more comfortable and stable (read SAFE).

The electric jobbies are like any electric vehicles. All your torque is available directly and all the way through the range, so acceleration is fast. Horsepower fades quick at the top end but in my opinion the UTVs are for getting around steep or boggy terrain so grunt is more important. The polaris web site says they get around 80miles (US brand) from a single charge and has top speed of around 40Mph; plenty fast enough. No idea how long it would take to charge, though. My guess is you just leave it plugged in over night when the charge indicator starts getting low.

I have a ute with a tipper and crane so payload isn't that important to me. Something like this would be for just getting about the place for small jobs and a bit of booting around for fun; wild life watching or pest control, take it to the river for a fish, etc.. The idea of a near silent vehicle is very appealing for this and a UTV just seems ideal for a spotlighting rig. More so than the ute.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Feb 2017, 8:50 am

Yeah Gwion, I reckon for your purposes the electric would be the go. Just letting BFS know about the payload thing as he was asking about firewood carrying. I've had the tray on the gator stacked fully with split ironbark and towed a 5 x 4 trailer loaded up as well. I was pretty surprised at how well it done the job.
Got it mainly because my back cannot take the pounding you get on a Quad anymore, the gator rides real nice. As the wife keeps reminding me, "you aren't 18 anymore". :thumbsdown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by twoforty » 28 Feb 2017, 2:26 pm

Hunting on a Harley, that's the real challenge :lol:
.243 Win Savage Axis Stainless
Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42
twoforty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 11 May 2019, 3:39 pm

Anyone have anything good or bad to report or know anything about CFMoto as a brand of quad.
Looking to chase a few hogs on it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 May 2019, 7:02 pm

On the quad bike pigs, goats and everything else hears you and runs, generally I'll chase them either into the open where I can get a few shots off or chase them down until they tire out, they will stop eventually unless they find thick cover to disappear into.

Quite often animals that may otherwise go unnoticed will run out of cover when they hear the engine noise getting louder.

The other way to hunt from the 4x4 quad or atv is to eliminate the noise by driving to a known hot spot like a dam at the right time like just before dawn and dusk and wait for them.

I love hunting from the quad, I can cover heaps of country, carry 2 guns, heaps of ammo and the esky sits nicely on the back :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 11 May 2019, 7:31 pm

I know this is an old thread, but in my experience, two stroke engine noise is much less than a four stroke. Seems wrong until you test it out yourself. You can hear the "thump, thump, thump" of a four stroke at much greater range than a two stroke engine.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 May 2019, 1:29 pm

I just spent a few days on cropping land where pigs are used to hearing vehicles of all sorts sometimes 24 hrs a day They will wait watch the tractor moving back and forth and venture out when they know the tractor will be up the other end of the paddock for a while Then as it returns they will run back to the scrub for a bit and then duck out again and so on .... I know at night when they initially hear a vehicle they look for its lights to help locate its position. So on good safe tracks when there is a bit of mmoonlight I put around on the quad with no lights on and I stop every 200 m to have a scan with the thermal. I even have guards made up to temporarily cover the lights on the dash of my quad to avoid my night vision being ruined ...... I can’t do much about the noise of my quad but by taking out the lights it allows me to get closer
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 18 May 2019, 8:50 pm

I have heard stories of them coming out after they hear a vehicle, knowing that it is providing feed of some sort. Old grazier friend of mine says that they used to come out when he was using the grader, knowing it was digging things up for them to eat. Ole piggy is smart.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey