Fun gun for sale ads...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Fun gun for sale ads...

Post by juststarting » 09 Apr 2017, 7:20 pm

Though I'd start a thread just for this... Latest ad, basically, excellent gun, in perfect condition, except for few small things like it's actually not excellent and broken. But other than that it's an excellent gun in excellent condition.

Hungarian Mosin-Nagant carbine, made in 1952. Stock is in a good condition, with crack in handguard, other than that pretty good for the age.
A lot of bluing left, bore is good with sharp rifling. All matching except bolt.

So stock is good, except that it's cracked. All matching numbers, except it's not matching. But other than that stock is good and numbers match.

WTF lol
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Fun gun for sale ads...

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Apr 2017, 10:01 am

There was one on "Used Guns" a couple of months back.

By memory it went pretty close to the following,,

Condition: NEW , Only fired 80 or 90 rounds, and only taken pig shooting 3 times.
Selling because I want to buy a Sako Grizzly

:wtf: :unknown: :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by chookah » 10 Apr 2017, 11:07 am

I see "custom" on there which is code for "bubba special" where someone has DIY some awful stock mod or something that no one in their right mind would want :lol:
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 Lite
.223 Remington
chookah
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 06 May 2017, 11:03 pm

Am I missing something here:
http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/47147 ... 4_340.html

This sort of looks like No5, but missing lightning cuts on the receiver. And the sights look like they don't belong, as well.

Some experimental model or a fake?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 07 May 2017, 2:50 am

This is from one of our buddies in Pennsylvania.

List of people I would buy guns from:

Die Judicii
[strike]Bripro[/strike]
Juststarting
on_one_wheel
Bentaz

Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 07 May 2017, 6:18 am

juststarting wrote:Am I missing something here:
http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/47147 ... 4_340.html

This sort of looks like No5, but missing lightning cuts on the receiver. And the sights look like they don't belong, as well.

Some experimental model or a fake?

Just from the photos its a definite fake. For one thing, that's the original No.4 buttstock, the lightening cuts are non existant aside from the bolt knob (Which is not enough according to the original lightening standards), and I'm definitely sure that fore-end is a quick sanding job on the original full length wood.

Other than that, it's functional and for the price I'd take it. The muzzle end looks near identical and those sights were borrowed off the stevens & savage No.4s.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Supaduke » 07 May 2017, 10:39 am

Considering the no.5 didn't enter service till 1944 and development didn't start till 1943 plus no lightening cuts, wrong buttstock and dated 1942....

If it looks like a turd and smells like a turd......
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 07 May 2017, 10:42 am

What a c***.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 07 May 2017, 11:35 am

Some peanut will buy it and be convinced it's the real deal. I concur that the seller is a douche nozzle.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 07 May 2017, 12:19 pm

Title_II wrote:

Die Judicii
[strike]Bripro[/strike]
Juststarting
on_one_wheel
Bentaz

I take it you've been smoking an awful lot of that weird sh!t again.
:unknown: :crazy: :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 07 May 2017, 2:35 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Title_II wrote:

Die Judicii
[strike]Bripro[/strike]
Juststarting
on_one_wheel
Bentaz

I take it you've been smoking an awful lot of that weird sh!t again.
:unknown: :crazy: :crazy:

That sure as heck aint mine, it's Bripro's. And I don't smoke anything except maybe a cigar every other month or so. No drugas aqui.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 07 May 2017, 5:06 pm

Supaduke wrote:Some peanut will buy it and be convinced it's the real deal. I concur that the seller is a douche nozzle.

I'd buy it and at least make it look hàlf presentable as a No.5 mock-up, we can bag it out for trying to be something it's not, but I know from personal experience, even if it looks bubba'd, does not mean it shoots like a bubba gun.

It might just shoot 2 MOA at a hundred yards, with a little tweaking.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by juststarting » 07 May 2017, 5:27 pm

Point is, it's not what it's being advertised as. Douche move.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 May 2017, 5:49 pm

juststarting wrote:Point is, it's not what it's being advertised as. Douche move.

Yep. people trying to rip others off just gives me the s**ts!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supaduke » 07 May 2017, 7:41 pm

Exactly, if it was advertised as a mock up then I have zero problem with selling it. Trying to pass it off as something it isn't is reprehensible.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 08 May 2017, 8:05 pm

Ewwww
Attachments
Screenshot_20170508-200418.jpg
Screenshot_20170508-200418.jpg (466.64 KiB) Viewed 7581 times
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by duncan61 » 08 May 2017, 8:23 pm

that is ugly
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AusTac » 08 May 2017, 9:56 pm

Theres no way in hell id take a lever to a zombie fight :lol: you've seen how i handle levers, we just don't get along that well
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Supaduke » 08 May 2017, 10:10 pm

IMG_0563.PNG
IMG_0563.PNG (296.53 KiB) Viewed 6738 times

My eyes!!!!!

Nice gun, what would possess someone to choose that colour.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 May 2017, 2:50 am

Oh, I did see that one. I thought it was kind`a cool. Needs Hello Kitty or Powerpuff Girls etched in colour on the barrel, I'd dig that!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 09 May 2017, 4:19 am

It's a gun, life is short, let them enjoy what they like.

But, yeah, we should make fun of them :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 09 May 2017, 9:12 am

Supaduke wrote:
IMG_0563.PNG

My eyes!!!!!

Nice gun, what would possess someone to choose that colour.

I thought the funny thing is you can buy one new, almost exactly the same, for about $800! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by PoorShot300 » 09 May 2017, 3:36 pm

Re; #5...for the detractors bagging the seller...have you considered the seller is only selling it on as he is, as a consequence on how it had been sold to him, and he is ignorant it's not as described? I for one, would not know enough about them to know the issues mentioned.

It may on the surface look to be a dog act, but without ALL the details, i am not prepared to call anyone names about it...it may be a very innocent mistake.

Better course of action to publicly name-calling would be to contact the seller and make him aware of his error.., after all, it doesn't do any of us a favor to fight among ourselves... :thumbsup:

0.02c
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 May 2017, 3:46 pm

So there are two parts to this, PoorShot300.

1. Seller is ignorant; and
2. Seller is selling it on, as it was sold him.

In case he's ignorant, well, I am sure it would have been pointed out to him at some stage. Just unlikely otherwise. I mean, I am not an expert and I've spotted it immediately.
In case the ad went up, while the seller knew what it was and was selling it as something else - that's a c*nt thing to do, which makes them a c*nt. Regardless how it was sold to them.

So, taking all of this into account, what you are suggesting has a very low likelihood of actually being the case. Wouldn't you agree?

Are you the seller or know the seller? Sounds like you've been simmering on that one.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 09 May 2017, 4:28 pm

The tiniest of due diligence would reveal its fake. It was posted online, therefore have access to google.

The price, around 1/2 to 1/3 the going rate also smells of someone trying to pull a swifty.

The way the ad is worded also tells me the seller knows it's not real but is trying to maintain plausible deniability.

Nothing wrong with selling a mock up. But a seller should be honest.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 09 May 2017, 5:04 pm

juststarting wrote:So there are two parts to this, PoorShot300.

1. Seller is ignorant; and
2. Seller is selling it on, as it was sold him.

In case he's ignorant, well, I am sure it would have been pointed out to him at some stage. Just unlikely otherwise. I mean, I am not an expert and I've spotted it immediately.
Respectfully,..I'm not confident of your surety... at best, it is only a 'possibility' or an assumption..for all you know, he is a hillbilly who never shoots around anyone to be made aware...point is, YOU don't know...

In case the ad went up, while the seller knew what it was and was selling it as something else - that's a c*nt thing to do, which makes them a c*nt. Regardless how it was sold to them.
Agreed,...WERE he to 'know'....which I don't know for sure if he does or not,...and neither do you.. :idea:

So, taking all of this into account, what you are suggesting has a very low likelihood of actually being the case. Wouldn't you agree?
It is only your assessment that it is highly unlikely...and without any 'facts', i am not about to agree one way or the other...the saying 'walk a mile in his shoes' seems apt....what you know, and the seller knows, are very different fish.

Are you the seller or know the seller? Sounds like you've been simmering on that one.

I am in no way connected to the sale or item in question....i just prefer to apply logic, rather than emotion, to my assessments...ymmv. :drinks:

Rather than direct your ire at me,....how about contacting the seller and place your derision to it's source?
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 09 May 2017, 5:27 pm

With the information provided there is a 95% chance the seller is well aware of its fakery. I simply don't buy the "poor hillbilly" scenario at all. Would you wear it if it was a much more expensive and collectable rifle like an Enfield (T)?

As far as logic.... all signs point to an awareness of fakery, logic dictates the seller is dodgy. Peace, love and mung beans is for hippies.

As far as contacting the seller? Why would you bother? End up in an argument with some random stranger on a phone, I have better things to do.

And I have checked the ad and it's no longer listed, if sold it stays for some time. Busted
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 May 2017, 5:30 pm

+1
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 09 May 2017, 6:25 pm

Supaduke wrote:As far as contacting the seller? Why would you bother? End up in an argument with some random stranger on a phone, I have better things to do.

So you find arguing with strangers on a forum about it much better? ..that solves nothing, so why would you bother? :wtf:
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 09 May 2017, 7:10 pm

Not arguing at all, I'm making a statement. Fakery should be stamped out and exposed in any form. I also began by answering a question. You chimed in (which you are ,of course , most welcome to do) with an opinion as to give the seller the benefit of the doubt. It might seem 'mean' but it's meaner to knowingly try and pass off a rifle as something it isn't. The seller knew it wasn't real and I would stand by the statement any day of the week.

An arguement or debate over the benefits of certain features, brand quality etc no problem.

This came about with the simple question , is this real? No
Does he know it's not real? Yes

There is no debating (or arguing) that point.

My spider senses tingled immediately. The language used demonstrated a reasonable understanding of firearms. I have read 100's of ads, there is a certain pattern that emerges. This ad in particular stunk to high heaven of fishiness. Peeeeeyooooo!!!!!!

I don't argue online. I offer an opinion, share experiences, ask for advice. I learn as I also try to educate.

I'm not trying to be dismissive of your opinion to give the benefit of the doubt. But I have been on this earth long enough to know bullsh1t when I smell it.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation