Experiences with Hawke scopes?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Experiences with Hawke scopes?

Post by AusTac » 06 Oct 2016, 4:59 pm

So i'm at my local today going scope spotting, something in the 4-16ish range for a 308 i have coming, my mate who works there showed my hawke rifle scopes, specifically an endurance 30 4-16 side focus with a illuminated reticle and 223/308 drop hash marks, from what i saw i was pretty impressed, does anyone have any experience with them?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Experiences with Hawke?

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 06 Oct 2016, 5:01 pm

No .... but, what else have you learned ?

Country of origin ?

Internet reviews ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Experiences with Hawke scopes?

Post by AusTac » 06 Oct 2016, 9:22 pm

The're made for a uk company and come from china, but from what i saw today, are better/on par with my vortex

Not many reviews out there, ssaa did one not to long ago, one or two vids on youtube

Fairly decently priced it seems too can get a 3-9 40 illuminated .22lr bullet drop compensation reticle for $300, tempted to buy one and stick it in the .22 because i use hold over alot, only issue is its in yards -.- i wish the US got with the times!
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by AusTac » 12 Oct 2016, 7:13 pm

So no one.. ok

Well next topic, who has a mil/mil scope ( mil dot reticle with mil radian turrets ) and who has a mil/moa scope hawke don't do a mil/mil, vortex do a mil mil but at over $1500 i'm questioning if i really need it.. mil/moa is much cheaper for some reason
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by FlyingStick » 20 Feb 2017, 8:18 am

Thought I would re-ignite this thread rather than post a new topic. Does anyone here now know more about Hawke optics? I'm looking for a scope for a .223, something with high magnification and in the 42-50mm obj range. Was looking at a Vortex Diamondback or Viper AP and was shown one of these at the shop. They're a great deal and get me into a 50mm objective.

Does anyone here know more about them?
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 20 Feb 2017, 9:09 am

I've got a diamond back and a hawke endurance 30 sidefocus, on different rifles, if the hawke was metric is would be damn near perfect, bit of maths and simple stuff gets me around that though, the diamond back is on a .22 so hold over is just point shoot adjust, my my personal opinion is my hawke has the optical edge just over the vortex, but that could be my eyes, i would buy both again
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Feb 2017, 10:20 am

What's the warranty like on Hawke scopes?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by FlyingStick » 20 Feb 2017, 10:28 am

I'm told at the shop it is lifetime unconditional. The one advantage over the Vortex was that they can replace the faulty scope at the shop - rather than send it back and have the manufacturer process the replacement (Vortex).
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 20 Feb 2017, 10:35 am

AusTac wrote:I've got a diamond back and a hawke endurance 30 sidefocus, on different rifles, if the hawke was metric is would be damn near perfect, bit of maths and simple stuff gets me around that though, the diamond back is on a .22 so hold over is just point shoot adjust, my my personal opinion is my hawke has the optical edge just over the vortex, but that could be my eyes, i would buy both again

Thanks AusTac. That's promising to hear. The model I am looking at is the Vantage. Has the illuminated reticle, Adjustable Objective and also a nice big 50mm objective.

All the reviews I have seen for this model have been mounted on Air rifles - not sure why? Does this mean they won't be a good option on a powder rifle?
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 20 Feb 2017, 12:00 pm

I've got an illuminated reticle and 50mm objective ( i think ) i always take the battery out if i'm out for deer in vic, have to clarify with the depi if it classifies as artificial light.

Mine been on my lithgow 308 from the day i bought both the rifle and the optic, no problems so far, i'm a big fan of the scope covers my particular scope came with, although you can't run the the honey comb sun shade thing with the objective cover fitted which i was a little annoyed when i found that out
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Feb 2017, 1:25 pm

FlyingStick wrote "All the reviews I have seen for this model have been mounted on Air rifles - not sure why?"

Depends on whether they were P.C.P or "springers". Some spring/piston type air-rifles will destroy a scope quicker than a centrefire. Also, scopes designed for air-rifles will focus down to shorter ranges.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Feb 2017, 6:19 am

FlyingStick wrote:I'm told at the shop it is lifetime unconditional. The one advantage over the Vortex was that they can replace the faulty scope at the shop - rather than send it back and have the manufacturer process the replacement (Vortex).

Thanks for that FS, sounds like a fair deal, is it in writing or just something the gunshop said? I like to see things like this in writing and clearly spelling out the terms etc.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by FlyingStick » 21 Feb 2017, 10:23 am

bigfellascott wrote:
FlyingStick wrote:I'm told at the shop it is lifetime unconditional. The one advantage over the Vortex was that they can replace the faulty scope at the shop - rather than send it back and have the manufacturer process the replacement (Vortex).

Thanks for that FS, sounds like a fair deal, is it in writing or just something the gunshop said? I like to see things like this in writing and clearly spelling out the terms etc.

Not a problem.

And no - just what the guy at the shop said. All I could find on the warranty was on the Hawke website: http://eu.hawkeoptics.com/warranty.html. It does say it is a Lifetime warrant (non transferable) but no mention of the "over the counter" replacement.

I think I'm starting to sway back towards the Vortex. I do like the Hawke offering, however they do offer an awful lot at the price point. My assumption is something has to give to be able to boast more features than the competitors, is it build quality? Lens quality? Durability of the finish, don't know. Just makes me a little nervous.

God. I never knew choosing a scope would be so much work!!!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Feb 2017, 11:02 am

Flying Stick
"God I never knew choosing a scope would be so much work"
You have my heartfelt sympathy. Have been shooting for 50 years and my experience does not make it any easier. Sifting through maker after maker is a vexing business for me, never mind you poor :) who have to work for a living and go to bed early after wrangling the kids into their beds. In my case, I went with what I consider a high powered warranty, when buying my latest a month ago. Your reservations about the Hawke make me uneasy too but they are relatively cheap aren't they?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by FlyingStick » 21 Feb 2017, 2:15 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Flying Stick
"God I never knew choosing a scope would be so much work"
You have my heartfelt sympathy. Have been shooting for 50 years and my experience does not make it any easier. Sifting through maker after maker is a vexing business for me, never mind you poor :) who have to work for a living and go to bed early after wrangling the kids into their beds. In my case, I went with what I consider a high powered warranty, when buying my latest a month ago. Your reservations about the Hawke make me uneasy too but they are relatively cheap aren't they?

:P

Yes. They are relatively very cheap. $395 for a 4-16x50 with IR. Setting aside the IR, I cannot find many other scopes in that magnification range with a 50mm objective at that price point. Furthermore, most of the competitor scopes in the price range max out at 12 to 14 magnification. On top of this all the IR makes it even harder to believe... I did look through it and it looked great, however I'm starting to wonder whether my eyes are capable of telling the difference between a bunch of scopes in a similar (using the term similar loosely here too!) class?
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Feb 2017, 8:13 pm

FWIW and IMO, when viewing/looking through different scopes, not only do they all need their ocular lenses to be focused for the tester's eye, they need to be dead steady.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Feb 2017, 9:04 am

You are spot on with that one Wm. I picked up a real nice 6 x 42 steel tube Khales (2nd hand) years ago from a major gun shop for a great price because it needed to be "serviced". Took it home and adjusted the focus and it is one of the clearest scopes you could ever look through.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Luvmadaysoff » 06 Mar 2017, 8:04 pm

Check out Optisan EVX 4-16 x 44i, or even move up to the 50 mm objective for a look. I use an Optisan 4-16 x 44i (illuminated mildot reticle) on my .223 and love it. I held it next to the more expensive Vortex in the shop. For me the Optisan scope won hands down. I've lost track of the number of foxes its downed, most at distances of 150-250m.
Luvmadaysoff
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Garth » 26 Jun 2017, 9:43 pm

Got a hawke 4 x12 on a 30 .06 dam good scopes its 4 x 12 ir
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Jun 2017, 1:39 pm

I have a Hawke 10-50x60 Sidewinder, which comes with a 4" side focus wheel, sunshade and flip up aluminium covers. The 1/4 moa turrets are exchangeable, there are 1/8 moa and 1/10 milrad available.
The glass is very clear right up to 40x, but the image softens noticeably from 40-50x. It's airgun origins are obvious with the ability to focus sharply down to 10m. Hawke also have a phone app, X-Act, that has a range of functions for all Hawke reticles and ballistic presets for calibres from .177 pellets to 12g slugs and crossbows.
I have looked through a couple of multi$k Nightforce scopes at the range and the only difference my to untrained eye on casual inspection is the clarity at the top magnification, so unless you are looking to seriously compete at +700m I can't see why one would spend more. With the 60mm objective the light gathering at dusk and dawn are excellent and the reticle has a stepless rheostat for infinite brightness adjustment.
By buying mine from a dealer in the UK (http://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/about-us-1-w.asp) I got the scope, Leapers quick release mounts and 6 day air freight to Australia for $77 less than the Hawke webstore and $300 less than I could get it here, it also has a non-transferable lifetime warranty.
Attachments
IMG_1371.jpg
IMG_1371.jpg (715.7 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 12 Jul 2017, 6:48 pm

I have two at the moment and possibly a third on the way around christmas, I have a 4-12x40 (or42) Airmax riding atop a .223 which pulls quarter inch groups at 50 and also .33 inches at 100. I also have the 8-32x50 riding atop the lithgow .22 which pulled .22 inch group at 50 metres the other day so exactly 1 bullet diameter of spread. I can definitely vouch for the scopes, I know a few other people who own them and for the money they are un-f*cken-believably good. I couldn't recommend them more however the BDC equivalent scopes are only approximate, so if that is a huge worry you'd be better off going with a leupold with BDC turrets, hope this helped :)
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Jeff303 » 20 Jul 2017, 10:50 am

Any scope that survives use on a springer will withstand anything. Good idea for a test bed. Used this thinking getting a cheapo for my 303-270. It was flawless
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Experiences with Hawke?

Post by solarpak » 27 Dec 2018, 6:28 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:No .... but, what else have you learned ?

Country of origin ?

Internet reviews ?

Have a look to see where your smart-phone is made??
Enough said......

Like with lots of things .....you do pay more for labour costs and the "branding".....

Lots of so called "experts' trash the Hawke scopes without even giving them a go.....but the Endurance and Frontier range made by Hawke are great optics as are their Airmax line for air rifles....

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 29 Dec 2018, 7:17 am

I have a Hawke 4(?) to 16 x 50 with front parallax adjustment. It was on my 204 when I bought it. I think it is ok, but not great. The optics are not as good as those on my VX 3 Leupold, but I wouldn’t expect them to be given the price difference between them. If the price of a Hawke is all you are able to spend, it will be ok. But you do get what you pay for.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ham » 29 Dec 2018, 8:13 am

Been shootin a mates 223 lithgow with a hawk 6-18x 50 ($700) with the 223/308 reticule

And 308 with vortex viper HS 24x
($1700) mil dot i think

I prefer the hawk and will be purchashing one in the 6 x 24 x 50
Ham
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics