Sling carry

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Sling carry

Post by Tiger650 » 14 Jul 2017, 10:18 pm

Works a treat for me, give it a try.

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-use-a- ... ng-1927233
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Sling carry

Post by Chronos » 14 Jul 2017, 10:31 pm

Firstly the whole point of carrying a rifle slung is to free up both hands, this technique seems to fail at that. If your stalking the gun is already in your hands, not on a sling.

Secondly having shot thousands of shots at targets with a rifle (sling supported) I can say this technique also fails to use the sling effectively to stabilise the rifle. To do that you need to wrap your wrist through the sling. That's done by putting just the point of your elbow into the sling, wrapping your wrist around and gripping the forend. This forms a tight triangle locking the rifle into your trigger hand shoulder.

Just my experience, if you find this article helpful and it improves your shooting then go for it.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2017, 1:50 am

Tiger650 wrote:Works a treat for me, give it a try.

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-use-a- ... ng-1927233

Have you tried a single-point sling?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 15 Jul 2017, 4:08 pm

s7_220723_003_01.jpg
s7_220723_003_01.jpg (17.67 KiB) Viewed 6351 times

For a Sambar hunter in Victoria the safari sling is the only choice, dont even try to argue because you cannot change fact, this is the best way to carry you rifle in Victorian deer country
Bigjobss

Post by juststarting » 15 Jul 2017, 5:08 pm

Stalking = rifle in hand. The end.

Bigjobss, that ironed shirt though...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2017, 5:33 pm

juststarting wrote:Stalking = rifle in hand. The end.

In hand...hanging on a single-point sling.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 15 Jul 2017, 11:18 pm

Sorry for the "tacticool" pic but it's the best I could find. This is what I use:

6A202762-2AD8-4EC1-8F40-DE62EB65DBB4-310-0000002FACD4BA84.jpeg
6A202762-2AD8-4EC1-8F40-DE62EB65DBB4-310-0000002FACD4BA84.jpeg (27.7 KiB) Viewed 6316 times

It's referred to as a "Ching Sling".

Coming from UIT (Olympic style) roots, I feel it's the best compromise past a formal target sling; very very quick to get into position.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 15 Jul 2017, 11:21 pm

I don't see anything.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 16 Jul 2017, 12:15 am

juststarting wrote:I don't see anything.

Must be the camouflage, lucky your not a deer mate :lol:

I generally only use a sling when climbing a tree stand or when dragging game out of the bush etc.. It helps to have both hands free in those circumstances obviously... Rest of the time It just lives in the back pack and can easily be attached if and when required... All comes down to personal preference I guess...

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Bigjobss » 16 Jul 2017, 7:27 am

bladeracer wrote:
juststarting wrote:Stalking = rifle in hand. The end.

In hand...hanging on a single-point sling.

This guy gets it!

You set the safari sling at the same height as you carry, so in essence it is an assisted carry that you swing up to your shoulder.
Makes it easier to carry over a long day
Rifle is always secure, never have to worry about dropping it
You can free your hands instantly if you need to arrest a fall or climb up or over something.

Ironing your shirts and using a safari sling will change your life.
Bigjobss

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2017, 3:18 pm

Bigjobss wrote:
s7_220723_003_01.jpg

For a Sambar hunter in Victoria the safari sling is the only choice, dont even try to argue because you cannot change fact, this is the best way to carry you rifle in Victorian deer country

I think I will try that. Looks easier than my usual method.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 16 Jul 2017, 4:44 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:
s7_220723_003_01.jpg

I think I will try that. Looks easier than my usual method.

Yes but the real question is do you pre-spray with Preen or not??? :unknown:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Old Fart » 17 Jul 2017, 4:59 pm

Having the sling taut against the back of your arm is just uncomfortable as hell for me.

In the hands if you expect to use it, over the shoulder if you don't.

That's me anyway.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jul 2017, 5:37 pm

Old Fart wrote:Having the sling taut against the back of your arm is just uncomfortable as hell for me.

That's me anyway.

I don't see any value at all in carrying a rifle slung from the shoulder as you still need to use one hand to control it.
I prefer to let the rifle hang down in front of me right where I need it, and I can rest my hands on it as well. To put it down I hit the quick-release on the harness and it's free. If I need to run I just push it across to my left side so it hangs outside my left leg. I have both hands free all the time so I can remove my pack, or access food and water without having to put my rifle down. I usually wear the sling under my outer jacket so I can even remove my jacket without putting my rifle down. The only minor downside is that you can't really use a single-point sling to support an offhand shot, but I try to avoid shooting offhand at live targets anyway.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 17 Jul 2017, 8:51 pm

Old Fart wrote:Having the sling taut against the back of your arm is just uncomfortable as hell for me.

That's me anyway.

I still clearly remember the day when I graduated to sling application shooting; after getting strapped up in the jacket and sling it hurt like hell. My coach asked me "are you in pain?" and I said yeah, he said "good you should be". It's not exactly comfortable shooting fullbore target, but your body seems to adapt to it and it doesn't hurt so much after a week or so. So I guess what I'm saying is a loop sling should be TIGHT.

Now TBH using a loop sling for standing offhand doesn't really work for me - and these days I mainly shoot metallic silhouette (where slings aren't allowed), so I dont bother with a sling from a standing shot, I just "strike the pose" so to speak. Loop slings come into there own when you get a chance to drop into a crouch or sit, or even better still from prone.

I'm not much of a deer hunter so I guess if all shots are generally taken from standing I can see the appeal of a safari sling. It does look quite comfortable for those long treks ;)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jul 2017, 8:55 pm

in2anity wrote:I'm not much of a deer hunter so I guess if all shots are generally taken from standing I can see the appeal of a safari sling. It does look quite comfortable for those long treks ;)

Looks like a pain in the arse if you carry a pack though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 17 Jul 2017, 10:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:Looks like a pain in the arse if you carry a pack though.

True - with a pack on I actually run my Ching sling across my shoulders behind my neck; the rifle hangs upside down pointing horizontally, my arms then rest on the underside of my rifle. Works for me and I can do a full-day trek like that. That said I can't just pick my rifle up and shoot though; I have to slip it over my head and then slip into position, often crouching, sitting if I have time, prone if I have more time still
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jul 2017, 10:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:I'm not much of a deer hunter so I guess if all shots are generally taken from standing I can see the appeal of a safari sling. It does look quite comfortable for those long treks ;)

But OK with a bum or shoulder bag.

I just tried it with a very long sling and seems comfortable. Better than over the shoulder in the normal way.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Jul 2017, 10:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Nah not really, no different to having a harness for your binos, you make it fit, the positives far outweigh any negatives
Bigjobss

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jul 2017, 10:43 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Nah not really, no different to having a harness for your binos, you make it fit, the positives far outweigh any negatives

I have a bino harness but it's not affected by a pack.
That rifle sling though would have to go between your back and your pack, meaning it won't be able to slide when you try to pull the rifle into your shoulder?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 18 Jul 2017, 7:07 am

Yeh with the binos I meant that it may seem awkward in theory having more straps etc but it works.

The photo misrepresents how it would work with a pack, it ends up hanging more on your neck/top of the shoulders, you wouldnt have it under the pack.

You could extend a normal two point sling and hang it upside down but the same way a safari sling works to test the fit yourself at home.
Bigjobss

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jul 2017, 9:03 am

"You could extend a normal two point sling and hang it upside down but the same way a safari sling works to test the fit yourself at home."

That's what I did.
Two extra pieces of cord tied into a loop is all you need to convert a normal sling into this safari type.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jul 2017, 9:44 am

Pretty simple design.
safari sling.jpg
safari sling.jpg (5.08 KiB) Viewed 5368 times

safari sling 2.jpg
safari sling 2.jpg (247.22 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 18 Jul 2017, 3:18 pm

When stalking I would certainly have both hands on a rifle, if shooting pre-position prone such as fullbore obviously the sling wrapped around the forearm is the only way to do it.
However when walking I have found that sling over right shoulder mostly has my left hand on the sling to keep the rifle from slipping off the shoulder, slung around the neck / across the back is comfortable and leaves both hands free and no doubt good if you are hunting snails.

My favourite carry was with the SLR, [or the heavier AR] mag in one pouch and pistol grip behind the other, webbing would take the weight of the rifle and quick to deploy, bastards will not allow me to have an SLR nowadays which is possibly good for them.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jul 2017, 7:20 pm

Tiger650 wrote:My favourite carry was with the SLR, [or the heavier AR] mag in one pouch and pistol grip behind the other, webbing would take the weight of the rifle and quick to deploy, bastards will not allow me to have an SLR nowadays which is possibly good for them.

When I started hunting as a kid I wore my Aussie Vietnam-era webbing from when I was an Army Cadet and supported my rifles the same way, laid across the pouches without a sling. But I usually had one or two more slung across my back as I generally went out with one or two rifles and a shotgun. As I was hunting every day, which is probably why I really hate having a rifle slung across my back nowadays :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 19 Jul 2017, 7:04 am

in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 19 Jul 2017, 12:40 pm

I run a two point sling on my circuit judge. I've had to zip tie it to the gun, but it works. Really cool option if you want the gun infront of you ready for a quick sight picture on the target, essential for walking in the scrub looking for bunnies.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles