17hmr revisited. Winchester 20gr JHP

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

17hmr revisited. Winchester 20gr JHP

Post by Cooper » 11 Jul 2017, 7:26 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 3887 times

So I bought the 17hmr when I thought I'd never get into reloading. The ammo got a bit expensive and hard to get at times and it just doesn't do what a 223 can do. So I reload now and pretty happy about it.

The cheap Winchester Hv Varmint was ok. But I got around 5 or 6 neck splits per box. And was still $20 buck a box.
I recently worked out the local timber and hardware sell ammo and recently got some 17hmr ammo in stock.
So I decided to give it a try. So far looks like it groups ok (similar to Winchester HV) will check it 100 metres later this. But at $17.95 I reckon it's price not too bad.

The Winchester brass looks like it has Improved quality. It will be interesting to see if I get any neck splits. Will post results
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: 17hmr revisited. Winchester 20gr JHP

Post by duncan61 » 11 Jul 2017, 7:39 pm

I ordered a brand new 17 HMR Ruger 96/17 Lever Action 9 Shot Rotary Mag of my LGS when it first became available and I loved that little rifle.I used the 20g and they went real well.Never seen any neck splitting.You must of got a bad batch
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 11 Jul 2017, 7:59 pm

I thought anyone with a HMR would have seen some necksplitting, I've had it with every ammo tried. Maybe only 1 or 2 in 100 recently but its still happening to me.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 11 Jul 2017, 8:57 pm

Maybe I was too busy cranking the lever to look.I remember if it was yesterday being shown the round by my LGS and saying "I am getting one of them."The largest calibre available to low power licence at the time was hornet a bit like A/B is now.the HMR 17 was low power and available to anyone with a bit of land.I was on a dairy farm and it dropped a lot of foxes.My hornet was a single shot H&R so the lever was a dream.Never ever wounded one they all fell down dead when shot in the chest or between the eyes.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jul 2017, 9:23 pm

Wombat wrote:I thought anyone with a HMR would have seen some necksplitting, I've had it with every ammo tried. Maybe only 1 or 2 in 100 recently but its still happening to me.

Funny you should talk about neck spliting, some of the guys and gals I have seen using them
say it's the norm for neck split.Alot of people that shoot rimfire sometimes don't take any
notice of fired ammo because it's not reload able.
I have noticed a few but doesn't seem to effect the grouping at all.
Member-Deleted

Post by Bark » 25 Jul 2017, 11:45 am

I just like the 17hmr ammo.

It looks fast! :lol:
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by DEADMEAT » 27 Aug 2017, 6:10 pm

The TNT has been flawless for me for the last five years. The Winchester stuff does the splits for me on every single case. Anschutz 1727F. The TNT is also the only one that groups for me.
DEADMEAT
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by albat » 27 Aug 2017, 7:38 pm

The winchester stuff can be as cheap as 17 bucks in qld and goes ok in my cz 455, neck splits used to be common but been ok recently, accuracy is as good as the cci i tried recently which was way dearer , the trick with the 17hmr is to run a patch every 15-20 rounds otherwise accuracy suffers
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmjer » 29 Aug 2017, 1:39 pm

Bark wrote:I just like the 17hmr ammo.

It looks fast! :lol:

Especially the Hornady ammo with a bit of red on it :D
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Cooper » 22 Mar 2019, 7:58 am

I bought some a couple Hornady 17gr max for $20 a box of 50 from the local last night. Price on box was $22. But I bought a bit of stuff so he gave me 10% off. I seem to remember the Hornady stuff cheeping towards $30 for 50. I think I was paying $26-28 a couple of years ago. I can still reload the 223 cheaper. But the 17hmr price seems a bit more reasonable. Not sure if the price is the same everywhere
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics