Howa 1500 Mini action

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa 1500 Mini action

Post by RumPlz » 25 Jul 2017, 5:43 pm

Hi,

I have just picked up my first centrefire rifle, Howa .223 stainless varmint mini action.

I had a shoot on the weekend and have noticed that the bolt is stiff to lift after firing with or without an empty case in it(without firing it cycles awesome). I plan on taking it back to the supplier, but before I do I was wondering if this is a standard wear issue that will resolve after cycling the action a few times or is it something else?

Any help will be much appreciated thanks
RumPlz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Howa 1500 Mini action

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jul 2017, 6:10 pm

Put a small amount of grease on the back of the locking lugs - see how that goes.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RumPlz » 25 Jul 2017, 6:15 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Put a small amount of grease on the back of the locking lugs - see how that goes.

I've used G96, what grease do you recommend?
RumPlz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 25 Jul 2017, 7:15 pm

It will be stiff as you are cocking the spring, and once you have cocked the spring it should be fairly free till you fire it and have to cock the spring again.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jul 2017, 7:17 pm

Almost any grease will do the job or very heavy oil like 90 gear box oil. But not Vaseline,
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jul 2017, 8:59 pm

RumPlz wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Put a small amount of grease on the back of the locking lugs - see how that goes.

I've used G96, what grease do you recommend?

I use Fishing Reel Grease, but pretty much anything will do, you don't need a lot on it just a little smear on the back of the lugs should make it a bit better and no doubt with use it will free up a bit too. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cooper » 25 Jul 2017, 10:34 pm

So it cycles fine without a case? So it not just a sticky bolt? But after firing even with a empty fire formed case the bolt is tight. Hmmm does not really make sense. The fire formed case should sized to your chamber and bolt lift should be normal.
Factory ammo?
New Howa's generally have a fairly loose chamber compared to some other makes. Be interested in the outcome. How did it shoot?
Last edited by Cooper on 26 Jul 2017, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RumPlz » 26 Jul 2017, 5:19 am

I had one group .5 inch at 100 with 55g blitz kings, the others were about an inch with fliers. It's probably 2-3 times harder to lift the bolt after shooting
RumPlz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jul 2017, 6:25 am

"bolt is stiff to lift after firing with or without an empty case in it(without firing it cycles awesome). "

Would it be cocking upon lifting? And that is what you are feeling. Has the Bolt been dismantled, cleaned and a few drops of light oil on the internals?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles