Scrub Bull Cartridge

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Scrub Bull Cartridge

Post by duncan61 » 27 Jul 2017, 8:09 pm

When I did a buffalo safari in N.T. the main guide had made his own chambering by necking a 375 H@H Case to 416.It made the case nearly straight.I used it on the last day for pigging and the recoil was very manageable and it still had a lot of grunt.I think it had a 400gr woodliegh solid
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 28 Jul 2017, 12:06 pm

duncan not much in the world a 416 wont slow down
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by duncan61 » 28 Jul 2017, 7:42 pm

I had 3 shots out of a Ruger safari in 416 Rigby and wow.I am sure if I had one and bought 10 rounds my sons would inherit a 416 Rigby with 7 rounds
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 28 Jul 2017, 8:08 pm

Lol. I have a Ruger Alaskan in .416 Ruger with a Leica 1-6 on it. It's quite exciting to shoot with 350 grainers and not too unpleasant. I have some 400gr dangerous game solids here I'm sure would prove formidable on any bovine in Australia

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 28 Jul 2017, 8:58 pm

ruger416m77hawkeyelg.jpg
ruger416m77hawkeyelg.jpg (137.47 KiB) Viewed 6817 times
Is it the S/S Synthetic like this
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 28 Jul 2017, 9:15 pm

I am a bit obsessed with big game cartridges.When I was in England I went to a shop in Portsmouth just to look at a 460 Weatherby Magnum,Apparently its like being hit with a baseball bat and its hard to not develop a flinch
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jul 2017, 9:26 pm

duncan61 wrote:I am a bit obsessed with big game cartridges.When I was in England I went to a shop in Portsmouth just to look at a 460 Weatherby Magnum,Apparently its like being hit with a baseball bat and its hard to not develop a flinch

There's no law that says you have to shoot full-power loads through these cannons :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 28 Jul 2017, 9:55 pm

The 45/70 is sounding more attractive
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jul 2017, 10:04 pm

duncan61 wrote:The 45/70 is sounding more attractive

You can't load the 45/70 heavier, but you can load other stuff down to 45/70 levels.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 28 Jul 2017, 10:13 pm

22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 28 Jul 2017, 10:16 pm

I follow your logic but I am pretty sure if I lash out and get me a big game rifle I would not reload.As long as it hits a dinner plate at 50 metres its zeroed and how many rounds would I use in a year.Even if I end up stupid wealthy which is about to happen and I travel the world on safari I would use my 7mm Rem Mag on all the African plains antelope and big cats and apart from bear and moose in the States the 7mm would be my first choice.To reduce load a big game rifle would be like putting Autogas on a sports car for economy
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jul 2017, 10:27 pm

duncan61 wrote:I follow your logic but I am pretty sure if I lash out and get me a big game rifle I would not reload.As long as it hits a dinner plate at 50 metres its zeroed and how many rounds would I use in a year.Even if I end up stupid wealthy which is about to happen and I travel the world on safari I would use my 7mm Rem Mag on all the African plains antelope and big cats and apart from bear and moose in the States the 7mm would be my first choice.To reduce load a big game rifle would be like putting Autogas on a sports car for economy

That's kinda the point. Why would you only shoot it on rare occasions? Because it hurts, right?
So load it down and shoot it all the time, and just put hot loads through it when your target warrants them.
No reason you can't load it down to .41 Magnum levels if you want.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jul 2017, 10:28 pm

It's also a lot easier to travel the world with one rifle with a variety of loads than it is to travel with a bunch of different rifles.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 28 Jul 2017, 11:11 pm

The choices and the freedom.Gotta love it
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 29 Jul 2017, 7:55 am

This conversation always cracks me up. The difference in what people think is needed to bring down scrubbers and buff is always very interesting to see. :D
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 29 Jul 2017, 9:58 am

Add this to the list of argument starters
Attachments
FB_IMG_1501242190700.jpg
FB_IMG_1501242190700.jpg (44.91 KiB) Viewed 6528 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Mick280 » 29 Jul 2017, 10:04 am

bladeracer wrote:
duncan61 wrote:The 45/70 is sounding more attractive

You can't load the 45/70 heavier, but you can load other stuff down to 45/70 levels.

400gn Barnes Origional!!
Really no need to load up!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6525 times
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jul 2017, 10:46 am

Bent Arrow wrote:Add this to the list of argument starters

They really messed that up :-)
Up to the 22-250 the only one they got right is the .22LR.
.17HMR is a .17 Mach2, .22 Hornet is a .17HMR, .22WMR is a .22 Long Rifle, and is the .223 Rem a .204 Ruger maybe?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Sep 2017, 5:02 pm

Back when I started hunting in earnest, in the late 70's, early eighties, I shot at the SSAA range at Mt Isa, in north west Qld. I met a fellow called 'Jan", and another German character called Helmut. Of the two, Helmut was by far the more believable, as Mr Jan stated that his 444 marlin could shoot through a termite nest and kill the pig behind it. Tried that myself with a Model 70 458 win mag, and the bullet definitely did not come out the other side....... maybe the 444 has some deadly secret known only to a few :roll: Mr Jan was also a keen Weatherby fan and swore by them as THE Buff gun. Helmut on the other hand used his 30.06 without any issues at all.

Why bring this up? Because 40 years later, bigger is better has not gone away, and I'm still hearing the same BS. The pro cullers used L1A1 SLR's from helicopters, and I recall very vividly coming across whole herds decimated during the BTEC programme which effectively ended my Buffalo hunting career. I only ever shot for meat (still do) and rarely ever needed a follow up shot from my 303, 8mm, or 30,06. Although I only accounted for approximately just over 200 buffalo in 12 years, I never saw the need for anything more powerful

It's bullet placement every time.
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 06 Sep 2017, 5:41 pm

aradoar234 wrote:Back when I started hunting in earnest, in the late 70's, early eighties, I shot at the SSAA range at Mt Isa, in north west Qld. I met a fellow called 'Jan", and another German character called Helmut. Of the two, Helmut was by far the more believable, as Mr Jan stated that his 444 marlin could shoot through a termite nest and kill the pig behind it. Tried that myself with a Model 70 458 win mag, and the bullet definitely did not come out the other side....... maybe the 444 has some deadly secret known only to a few :roll: Mr Jan was also a keen Weatherby fan and swore by them as THE Buff gun. Helmut on the other hand used his 30.06 without any issues at all.

Why bring this up? Because 40 years later, bigger is better has not gone away, and I'm still hearing the same BS. The pro cullers used L1A1 SLR's from helicopters, and I recall very vividly coming across whole herds decimated during the BTEC programme which effectively ended my Buffalo hunting career. I only ever shot for meat (still do) and rarely ever needed a follow up shot from my 303, 8mm, or 30,06. Although I only accounted for approximately just over 200 buffalo in 12 years, I never saw the need for anything more powerful

It's bullet placement every time.

Just finished reading a book called Hell West and Crooked by Tom Cole and from what he's written the good old three-oh has accounted for more buff than anything else. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2017, 9:35 am

Quite true about the 303 accounting for more Buffalo ( and crocs) than any other calibre, but to be fair, there was not much else available to choose from until "proper" hunting rifles became affordable; now we are spoiled for choice, but unfortunately very much restricted by rules and regulations. One of my old reloading manuals, either Speer or Sierra, stated that the 303 has killed more game in Africa than any other calibre, but also wounded more. This is largely in part to the use of ex-mil FMJ army ammo, but exponents like" Karamojo" Bell used the 303 successfully on elephants; once again its bullet placement ( and an enormous amount of fearlessness!)

Not sure if it was Nick Harvey or Colin Shadbolt, a couple of the more famous names in hunting back in the 70's, who said that the old time Buff hunters admitted it took 7 or 8 shots to kill a buff with a 303, but to me that is just plain poor marksmanship and the used of ex army ammo once again. My best shots were all taken with a 303, although I used half a dozen other calibres ( the 7x57 mauser being a favourite) and my longest shot was just shy of 600 paces using my stock issue full wood P14 and battle sights. For those of you not familiar with hunting in the territory, the flood plains extend quite some distance until you hit the tree line, and there is no cover to hide behind to take a shot. At that distance, the front blade totally obscured the bulls head, and he dropped like a stone. Of course I used a tree trunk for a rest, and waited until he stopped moving.....my handloads duplicated military spec velocities ( 2, 500 fps out of the P14 with a 180 gn Hornady soft point. ) Hornady projectiles are the best in the 303 as they mushroom at lower velocities than the others.

One of my mates had access to Aboriginal land, and we were able to hunt right up to Coburg peninsular, where I bagged a couple of young Bantang Bulls, but that was like shooting domestic cattle, as they stood there and looked at me, and dropped with a bullet between the eyes. We did spot some Rusa stags, but we left them for the trophy hunters. From what I read, the Coburg peninsular seems to be a big dollar game hunting area now.

Still, that was forty years ago, times have changed, and living in Tasmania restricts me to 3 fallow deer a year, if I can find a property that won't charge me $100.00 a day to wander around their paddocks, Thats after paying for my deer licence, making sure my rifle is locked away securely with the bolt removed while not actively hunting and having to abide with their anal transportation of game and firearms rules. Not to mention these cowboys who think a 300 magnum is the minimum to use......
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2017, 12:07 pm

Well said aradoar I myself am an old shooter and of late have been thinking of going 7mm mag but my mind keeps going back to the old 303
I used to buy ammo for it but from10yrs ago I've loaded my own
18mths ago I bought a 25-06 and shot a few scrubbers but shot placement was of the utmost importance be cause I can only stabilise 100gr projectiles
not 105to120's this is why I thought about 7mm mag but I think i'll do a little work on the old 303 and use her
The 303 will surprise you when you start experimenting with ammo you can really find its full potential
I have a couple both will need new barrels and general go over so I might start poking along with that

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 07 Sep 2017, 2:59 pm

this vid isn't about scrub bulls but shows professional buffalo culling using an old ruger tang safety model in 308 and fmj military ammo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OneyeUxzL40
shot placement is king
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2017, 10:46 pm

Yeah good video it was worth the watch
The old 308 '' HEH ''
Member-Deleted

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics