Weird looking "parasite" on a Bunnies liver.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Weird looking "parasite" on a Bunnies liver.

Post by Elmer » 05 Aug 2017, 9:30 pm

I shot this female Bunny today, cleaned and gutted it but after examining the liver (which looked a normal burgundy colour) I noticed a unusual looking growth on it.
It was dark translucent green and looked a bit like a small jelly baby. It had a rather tough smooth outer covering "skin" and when I squeezed it it popped like a zit releasing a clear fluid. The surface of the liver to which it was attached to seemed damaged as though it was feeding off it, I have never seen this before, does anyone know what it is? and yes I chucked the Bunny.
cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Weird looking "parasite" on a Bunnies liver.

Post by tom604 » 05 Aug 2017, 10:16 pm

download.jpg
download.jpg (6.63 KiB) Viewed 4939 times

look like this?
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 05 Aug 2017, 10:24 pm

...thats it mate, a nice healthy Gall bladder :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 05 Aug 2017, 11:17 pm

just checking :unknown: you might not of known
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 05 Aug 2017, 11:38 pm

Thats it Tom, you cant be too careful...its not my day for bunnies for the pot. When I got home I started to wash another one and noticed a jelly like sack protruding from one of its hams, I pulled it out of the carcass and found dozens of white eggs in a sack attached to this 5cm long white jelly like cord. Yup, a nice sack of tapeworm cysts....I bet that would have gone well in a casserole.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 05 Aug 2017, 11:53 pm

Oh gross!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Vati » 15 Aug 2017, 2:31 pm

I wouldn't have known that was the gallbladder either.

Definitely looks funky.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 13 Sep 2017, 12:33 pm

Elmer wrote:I shot this female Bunny today, cleaned and gutted it but after examining the liver (which looked a normal burgundy colour) I noticed a unusual looking growth on it.
It was dark translucent green and looked a bit like a small jelly baby................
I have never seen this before, does anyone know what it is? and yes I chucked the Bunny.
cheers.

Hehe...
I grew up with a .22 & .410 in my arm with an ol'man who had ferrets....so i too have popped, dressed out & eaten one or 2 in my time so far...

It wasnt until last year, some 40+years on from my young humble bunny busting beggings, that i first noticed a parasitic jelly baby devouring the liver of what otherwise appeared to be an exceptionally healthy young doe...

Unlike you Elmer, i bagged it seperate & hit google before i returned it to mother earth...but had to laugh at myself in disbelief id never noticed it before...!!!
So i lightly crumbed & fried it & passed it through my digestive filter system before i threw it away...divine dining she was...!!!

Nothing to be red-faced about Elmer..!!.we are always learning something...

Btw i have a severe shortage of bunnies on properties i have access to atm...so im happy to take all you get with parasitic jelly babies...!

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jeff303 » 13 Sep 2017, 9:11 pm

I always thought the jelly sacs full of rice were hydatid? . Not messing with that either way.
No shortage up here. Im getting cricket score numbers every trip. Sometimes get so bored i start lifting them with the 30-06 just to keep my eye in
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 13 Sep 2017, 10:35 pm

Jeff303 wrote:I always thought the jelly sacs full of rice were hydatid? . Not messing with that either way.
No shortage up here. Im getting cricket score numbers every trip. Sometimes get so bored i start lifting them with the 30-06 just to keep my eye in

Its just as Elmer said...gall bladder...

Im beyong jealous of your cricket scores...i averaged one per trip last year...focussing my efforts on finding a new place with numbers...hopefully i find a property "up here" next to yours...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jeff303 » 14 Sep 2017, 7:26 am

Between armidale & ebor stix. We only get out of the car to pick em up. Bad day is 30-40. Good day is 100 plus. Its a big place so even if I wipe one area out , they breed up in another.
Its pretty good
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Jeff303 » 14 Sep 2017, 7:38 am

Bugger all disease on this particular place. Have another thats always active yet is full of mixo, worms , & jelly sac things. Its an improved pasture tho so not surenif that has anything to do with it
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 14 Sep 2017, 7:37 pm

Jeff303 wrote:Between armidale & ebor stix. We only get out of the car to pick em up. Bad day is 30-40. Good day is 100 plus. Its a big place so even if I wipe one area out , they breed up in another.
Its pretty good

Well Jeff thats a long drive for me...!!!
My last good day was 13. Could hav had 130 but had to stop cos a mate insisted we brace ourselves on a beach trying to throw lead weights into the ocean through a 30mph wind...we came home minus $150 of tackle & 13 bunnies....

Ive met a shooter from NSW whos invited me to head over that way for a week hunting trip before xmas...(i wont hold my breath)...
He says id fall over backwards at how much there is to shoot...
If it happens (always hopeful) & its in the area ill let know...
Sounds like ill have to empty out & hitch up the tool trailer to bring home a bit of the meat...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jeff303 » 15 Sep 2017, 7:33 am

Mate if youre up this way let me know & ill ensure youve got somewhere to stay & somewhere to shoot.
No need for lead weights here. Good redfin in spots
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 16 Sep 2017, 11:23 pm

Jeff303 wrote:Mate if youre up this way let me know & ill ensure youve got somewhere to stay & somewhere to shoot.
No need for lead weights here. Good redfin in spots

Thats mighty kind of you Jeff...when im over that way ill let you know..Cheers...!

Re lead weights...i tried to tell him---even thiugh the lead i was using was a lot lighter, it went a lot further, a lot faster, & still got us a feed...hehe
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control