QLD weapons licencing waits

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: QLD weapons licencing waits

Post by Daddybang » 31 Aug 2017, 10:16 am

jak444 wrote:Update -

Applied 6 June
Approval email received 31 August

12 weeks and 2 days.

I am assuming PTA will be approved shortly too - applied in mid June.

Happy days!! Hope all you other guys from June get yours soon too!!

Congratulations mate :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by jak444 » 31 Aug 2017, 10:22 am

Cheers mate!
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Beaker » 31 Aug 2017, 11:58 am

So my son and I applied 2 weeks ago for our Cat A/B at this rate it will be Christmas time before we see ours.
Beaker
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jak444 » 01 Sep 2017, 10:18 am

PTA's approved today - day after licence approved.

The system obviously works well - I was expecting to have to chase up the PTA's.

Just obvious they have too much work and not enough people.
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tmb99 » 01 Sep 2017, 3:16 pm

It's pretty rough that not only do we have to jump through numerous hoops and endure mandatory waits, we then have to accept their slow system to the point they state do not contact prior to 12 weeks wait... Talk about over a barrel. Doesn't seem right.
I'm now 10 weeks wait into a new license, hopefully not too much longer!
Tmb99
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jak444 » 01 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

I agree with you Tmb, absolutely agree.

However, I think you have less than 3 weeks more to wait!

Do you already have a PTA in the system?
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 01 Sep 2017, 10:29 pm

Tmb I thought the same I am 11.5 weeks ATM and still no word from wlb it sucks to wait. When I heard 12 weeks I thought I would have had some sort of contact by 10 weeks but I was wrong hopefully not too much longe for you or me
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 02 Sep 2017, 6:59 am

Joeseb87 wrote:Tmb I thought the same I am 11.5 weeks ATM and still no word from wlb it sucks to wait. When I heard 12 weeks I thought I would have had some sort of contact by 10 weeks but I was wrong hopefully not too much longe for you or me

Have ya been contacted to supply id yet?.
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 02 Sep 2017, 12:20 pm

No but I have had a license in the past so maybe I dont have to do an id check. Also I did loose it from a conviction many years ago so there is the possibility of not going to do an I'd check until the applacation is accesed and granted not sure how it works in this situation
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 02 Sep 2017, 1:24 pm

Joeseb87 wrote:No but I have had a license in the past so maybe I dont have to do an id check. Also I did loose it from a conviction many years ago so there is the possibility of not going to do an I'd check until the applacation is accesed and granted not sure how it works in this situation

I, like allot of guys, had a licence in the past, you will still need to go for ID check at your local police station when requested.
Not sure how it works if there's been a conviction in the past.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 02 Sep 2017, 2:40 pm

Just read this don't know how true it is but they might need more people

According to the Weapons Licensing Branch, in Queensland there are:

- 192,601 current licences
- 854,978 firearms & weapons registered
- Approximately 1,000 PTA applications per week
- Approximately 320 new licence applications per week
- 300 shooting clubs (including SSAA branches)
- 400 ranges (including SSAA ranges)
- 190 firearms dealers

The Weapons Licensing Branch themselves have 12 Police Officers and 69 civilian administrative staff, handling about 4,500 incoming notifications and applications (everything from PTA and licence applications to Form 10s, Form 4s, Notices of Disposal etc).

Nearly 95% of PTA applications are lodged online, as are 80% of new licence applications.
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 02 Sep 2017, 3:01 pm

Joeseb87 wrote:No but I have had a license in the past so maybe I dont have to do an id check. Also I did loose it from a conviction many years ago so there is the possibility of not going to do an I'd check until the applacation is accesed and granted not sure how it works in this situation

Yeah mate ya still have to show id ..I would probably give them a ring on Monday should not take this long for the id part of the app
Although the conviction may mean it's been kicked up to the commissioners office.
Good luck with it all :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 04 Sep 2017, 8:43 pm

I Will wait until after the 12 weeks before I call up, from what I have heard I dont think they will ask me to do an I'd check unless they are going to approve my application
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Sep 2017, 6:50 am

Joeseb87 wrote:I Will wait until after the 12 weeks before I call up, from what I have heard I dont think they will ask me to do an I'd check unless they are going to approve my application

Don't forget that you have the right to appeal any decision they make. If they knock ya back sit down and write a letter explaining how ya conviction was in the past and that you have changed etc etc. :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by fenderstrat » 07 Sep 2017, 4:38 pm

Applied for my H licence 13/08 and just received the approval email 7/09. Woohoo!
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 07 Sep 2017, 5:07 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Applied for my H licence 13/08 and just received the approval email 7/09. Woohoo!

Sh@t they're on the ball with that! Congrats :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 07 Sep 2017, 7:58 pm

Wife applied for her Cat H on 14 Aug and received approval email today (7 Sep).
Applied for PTA on the same day - but now word as of yet.
Note that she already had Cat A/B.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 09 Sep 2017, 7:49 am

Anyone got there a b licence this week
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 09 Sep 2017, 9:20 am

Another forum member I spoke to yesterday got his e mail approval and he applied on the 12th of June
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 11 Sep 2017, 12:37 pm

Joeseb87 wrote:Another forum member I spoke to yesterday got his e mail approval and he applied on the 12th of June

Have you given them a call 12 weeks tomorrow for me will give them a call in two days and see what going on
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 11 Sep 2017, 4:33 pm

12 weeks and 5 days for me I did ring today and got told what I was expecting to hear, not much at all, he said they are been processed between 8-12 weeks he asked how long and told him nearly 13 weeks he said it won't be long then. It sucks so bad waiting but I am not worried unless someone that has applied after me gets processed before me. I am hoping for this week though
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jak444 » 11 Sep 2017, 5:40 pm

I think you'll get it this week. Then you have the fun of waiting for it in the post... Which is what I'm currently doing. :crazy:
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jak444 » 13 Sep 2017, 9:53 am

Received licence in mail yesterday.... exactly 14 weeks after application was initiated.

!!!!!!!

Crazy turn around period - was expecting 6 weeks originally.

Now gotta wait until Saturday to pickup the shotguns.
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 13 Sep 2017, 11:19 am

Congratulations, looks like it's going to be Even longer for me I am at 13 weeks now, I rang yesterday and was told that my application has progressed a lot since they received it and has been worked on very recently, I asked how long before I should get an answer and was told at least 2 weeks. I just have to be more patient I was really hopeful that it was done within the 12 weeks, but they must have lots on ATM. When my wife done hers a few years ago it was 10 months, hope that don't happen
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jak444 » 13 Sep 2017, 12:03 pm

That sucks.

I know how frustrating it is - especially as it's completely out of our control.

Hope you get the approval email soon.
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 13 Sep 2017, 3:44 pm

Joeseb87 wrote:Congratulations, looks like it's going to be Even longer for me I am at 13 weeks now, I rang yesterday and was told that my application has progressed a lot since they received it and has been worked on very recently, I asked how long before I should get an answer and was told at least 2 weeks. I just have to be more patient I was really hopeful that it was done within the 12 weeks, but they must have lots on ATM. When my wife done hers a few years ago it was 10 months, hope that don't happen

It sucks waitin but at least they haven't said no yet. Hang in there :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tmb99 » 13 Sep 2017, 3:49 pm

Geeez reading this thread is slightly depressing! I'm at 12 weeks today and was hoping to be soon. May be another couple of weeks by the sounds of it.
I put some deposits on guns not long after application to submit PTA, that shop called last week wanting full payment and said I may have to start paying for storage... Over 3 months wasn't what I expected when applying for the licence!!
Tmb99
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 13 Sep 2017, 7:04 pm

spartan71 wrote:Wife applied for her Cat H on 14 Aug and received approval email today (7 Sep).
Applied for PTA on the same day - but now word as of yet.
Note that she already had Cat A/B.

PTA approved today.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jgord954 » 14 Sep 2017, 10:56 am

Hey everyone just a quick question the wife and I put our application in for A & B on the 8 of July they rang me the day after to say my photo wasn't right so had to send another one but haven't heard from them since should I have done an Id check by now? I'm in QLD
Jgord954
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 14 Sep 2017, 1:03 pm

Nope it's hit and miss with the I'd check it use to only happen when they were processing your license and they were in the final stages, it use to mean it was approved pending I'd check. But recently some have been doing it the day after applying some 4 weeks and some still not asked at 13 weeks. I am over 13 weeks and still not asked I think they are falling behind again I applied on the 14th of June and haven't heard nothing
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws