Zeroing in scope

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Zeroing in scope

Post by JWS_777 » 13 Sep 2017, 5:00 pm

Thanks again for all replies. Great info.

For those offering to meet up and shoot a few targets I'm keen but struggling with any spare time ATM. When a few things clear up I'll be in touch to see if the offer still stands.

Cheers,

Jimmy
JWS_777
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by hankyhead » 16 Oct 2018, 12:33 am

The thing I have learned about setting up a scope is to adjust the parallax first.
In your case, set the scope to 9x, and as it is on the rifle,good, focus at a reasonable distance with the ocular virtually all the way in, then turn it out until the reticle does not move or moves the least, when you move your eye up/down left/right.
When it's at the best you can get it, you wont have reticle movement (parallax error) at <9x magnification either.

The usual instruction is to adjust the ocular for focus on the reticle. If you get the parallax done first the reticle "will be clearly visible" for sighting on target.
What you will then notice is that the reticle is in the same plane as target, and "out of focus objects" will move.
This is what will help avoid stray hits.

I don't know what reticle pattern you have, and where you are going, where you have to shoot bunnies at 100m, (yes you can see them but surely there are bunnies a lot closer, and you'll scare the pants off them; bugger), but may I suggest sub-sonic is reputedly more accurate, zero at a comfortable distance for the bunnies you are after, and possibly "off hand" and practice hold over/hold under. Hold is a lot quicker than mucking around with clicks (and oh sh_t, I've forgotten how many clicks up/down sh_t, thers goes another rabbit down a hole).

Ate a lot of rabbits when I lived in the bush.
hankyhead
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Urastus » 30 Nov 2018, 1:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:For those of us who CBF reading the article; for hunting purposes if you want to always just point-and-shoot, a ~66m zero is optimal, don't take shots past ~82m and always stick to the one brand of supersonic ammunition. This way you will have a maximum variation of +/-1.5" inside 82m.

Three-inches spread is too much for .22LR in my opinion. You have to add the ability of the rifle to that remember. At 82m you might be lucky to hold 2" groups under field conditions, which gives you a spread potential of anywhere within a five-inch circle.

I would go with a 50m zero which gives you a MPBR of around 60m with only one-inch spread. If youre going to shoot a rabbit past 60m I suggest you hold over whatever is required to get a brain strike, or get closer.

50 yards looks awesome - only .01" low at 25 yards! Slightly different for meters of course, but I agree. Also because I want to do 3 position stuff at the club which I think is at 25 and 50m.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics