QLD weapons licencing waits

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: QLD weapons licencing waits

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2017, 4:56 pm

Joeseb87 wrote:Nope it's hit and miss with the I'd check it use to only happen when they were processing your license and they were in the final stages, it use to mean it was approved pending I'd check. But recently some have been doing it the day after applying some 4 weeks and some still not asked at 13 weeks. I am over 13 weeks and still not asked I think they are falling behind again I applied on the 14th of June and haven't heard nothing

Unbelievable. They must all be on LSL.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Slant225 » 14 Sep 2017, 8:43 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I put in a PTA at about 11am on Saturday, I got an email that it was approved at noon on Sunday, and it was in my letterbox the following Thursday!! Couldn't believe it.
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 14 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm

Some tips about license applications that I have picked up. I got these from talking to someone who deals with WLB all the time as part of their role with the club and they have based on their discussions with WLB and with many people putting in applications. Having a quick look through some of the examples given by others I can see that they also hold true for others. Overall, in IMHO WLB are reasonable, professional group of people.

Firstly, its important that for the most part WLB operate in a FIFO basis - First in First Out. This only works if there is no issues with your paper work.
Secondly, from an efficiency point of view it make sense for them to handle your application the minimal amount of times - i.e., they don't want to come back to it multiple times. Any complicating issues will result in it being put aside whilst more straight forward/easier applications are assessed.
Thirdly, like most areas of work there are expectations on output - number of 'things' completed. Whilst this may not be overt its a subtly of the human condition. this means that it looks better for them to process 20 straight forward applications in comparison to 10 more complicated ones where the applicants have issues that need to be resolved.
If you have had issues with offences in the past - expect to wait longer. On review there is an issue - its likely to be put aside initially for further later review whilst easier more straight forward applications are dealt with.

1. The first one is to make sure that all of the documentation is in order - everything that is meant to be there is. It might sound obvious but a lot of applications get put on the back burner because of this. This aids in the handle it once - if it isn't right expect it to go to the bottom of the queue.

2. Expect that the minimum waiting times will apply - this is true except if you are applying for a Cat H and already have a Cat A/B - you have already been subjected to all of the reviews previously, if your license application is in order - then it is a simple (quick process) they can get you in and out quickly.

3. PTA appear to be processed independently. If you think of the FIFO concept. It appears to work like this. You put your license application in first, then followed by your PTA. When you PTA is being assessed the first time - your license may not have been resolved, You don't have a license yet, PTA goes back into the queue until the license is approved. But there is no magic bring the PTA back its sits and waits it turn.

4. It appears that you can influence the above - when your license is approved you can do the following - submit a Fax to dealer submission. Even if you did this at time of application. What seems to happen then is that they check out your request. They look at the status of the PTA, see that your license is now approved and approve the PTA. They have gone to the trouble of looking at it so they don't want to handle it again. That would be inefficient.

5. In terms of longer waits for first applications - say over 4 weeks this strategy has been recommended. Call the WLB and don't a dick say something like "Hey, I don't mean to pester you but I'm checking to make sure that my application has all of the relevant information and if there is anything more you need. In order to answer your question they need to look it up. They will tell you if you need to supply any further information, or if its all good. I've heard plenty of people say that after this type of call they have got their approvals through in the following day(s).

6. The second half of the financial appears to be faster for license applications. Why? The police always allocate additional money to temporary staff to deal with a backlog. This is quite often after complaints from locals members to the police minister. More staff means quicker resolution.

Anyways, a couple of suggestions - any application older than 4 weeks should be followed up.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Spiney » 15 Sep 2017, 10:18 am

Well I'm impressed. I applied for my pta on 26 july and received an email notification that it was approved on 10 August. I was expecting a ridiculously long wait. :thumbsup:
So far CZ 455 22lr, Ruger american ranch 223
Spiney
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 19 Sep 2017, 12:32 pm

:( 14 weeks and still waiting
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 19 Sep 2017, 4:42 pm

Update from previous post, wife's Cat H license - 4 weeks from application to arriving in the letter box. PTA for pistol arrived at LGS two days before the license arrived in the mail.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 19 Sep 2017, 5:51 pm

Just to make you feel a bit better I am still waiting too I haven't heard anything applied on the 14th of June, last approval for a new category a and b that I know of was someone that applied on the 12th of June and got approval on the 8th of September.
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 19 Sep 2017, 6:29 pm

spartan71 wrote:Update from previous post, wife's Cat H license - 4 weeks from application to arriving in the letter box. PTA for pistol arrived at LGS two days before the license arrived in the mail.

That's good wish my A B was that quick
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sarco » 19 Sep 2017, 7:59 pm

How can these turkeys and the shooting organisation of QLD allow this Government Department continue to be called Weapons Licensing Branch.
A golf club is a weapon, as is a baseball or cricket bat.
FFS even the Department of Defence defines them differently.
A privately owned firearm is just that, not a fffing weapon.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by spartan71 » 19 Sep 2017, 9:53 pm

Azzerin wrote:
spartan71 wrote:Update from previous post, wife's Cat H license - 4 weeks from application to arriving in the letter box. PTA for pistol arrived at LGS two days before the license arrived in the mail.

Mate what was your genuine reason and the club/association that you listed out of interest?

I'd be calling them (WLB) and asking politely what is the story.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 20 Sep 2017, 8:20 am

spartan71 wrote:
Azzerin wrote:

Mate what was your genuine reason and the club/association that you listed out of interest?

I'd be calling them (WLB) and asking politely what is the story.

Call last week said there is a lot off new licences coming in. And should be done this week I am with SSAA
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 20 Sep 2017, 8:26 am

Joeseb87 wrote:Just to make you feel a bit better I am still waiting too I haven't heard anything applied on the 14th of June, last approval for a new category a and b that I know of was someone that applied on the 12th of June and got approval on the 8th of September.

Have you given them a call to check everything out. they went through the everything as said it all good just waiting for last paper work to be done. When I called them
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 20 Sep 2017, 6:34 pm

Yes pretty well got the same reply that there isn't a problem at this stage, if there is anything they need they will contact me, but will be at least 2 weeks before they get back to me that was 1 week ago
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 22 Sep 2017, 6:35 am

:drinks: Approval came through yesterday for license and pta
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tillaan » 22 Sep 2017, 4:21 pm

Grats :) :thumbsup:

and for the post :

I'm in Brisbane

I applied for A,B on 25/07/2017
ID check request came next day 26/07/2017
Did ID check at local station on 27/07/2017
PTA application went in on 14/08/2017
No word since.

I also applied for permission to join a pistol club at local station on 17/7/2017 (need this if you don't have an A,B)
"QP 0515 Statement of Eligibility to Join an Approved Pistol Shooting Club"
Received permission letter in post on 11/08/2017

So at least my 6 months waiting for H has started :) and I can shoot at local Pistol Club while i wait.
Tillaan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 22 Sep 2017, 9:39 pm

Tillaan wrote:Grats :) :thumbsup:

and for the post :

I'm in Brisbane

No word since.

I also applied for permission to join a pistol club at local station on 17/7/2017 (need this if you don't have an A,B)

So at least my 6 months waiting for H has started :) and I can shoot at local Pistol Club while i wait.

What pistol club have you joined?
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tillaan » 22 Sep 2017, 9:43 pm

SSAA Caboolture
Tillaan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 25 Sep 2017, 7:54 am

Tillaan wrote:Grats :) :thumbsup:

and for the post :

I'm in Brisbane

No word since.

Looking at what people are saying around the club and gun shop it's taken about 3 calendar months for most and 4 for some
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 25 Sep 2017, 7:55 am

Joeseb87 wrote:Yes pretty well got the same reply that there isn't a problem at this stage, if there is anything they need they will contact me, but will be at least 2 weeks before they get back to me that was 1 week ago

Hope you get it this week
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 25 Sep 2017, 7:57 am

Now the wait for the mail man to bring my card so I can pick up my order
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Azzerin » 25 Sep 2017, 8:03 am

Anyone know how long it takes licence approval to get card in the mail
Azzerin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jak444 » 25 Sep 2017, 5:20 pm

Took a week and a half for mine
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 25 Sep 2017, 6:31 pm

jak444 wrote:Took a week and a half for mine

Are ya in camoweal?. :drinks:
It took about five days for mine but that was six years ago. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Terrence » 28 Sep 2017, 7:07 pm

Having trouble getting my "character references" for Cat H. Do they need to specifically mention weapons license in the letter ?. As soon as I mention what it's for, they make excuses and decline.
Terrence
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 28 Sep 2017, 7:55 pm

Terrence wrote:Having trouble getting my "character references" for Cat H. Do they need to specifically mention weapons license in the letter ?. As soon as I mention what it's for, they make excuses and decline.

It needs to say something like, I understand that Terrance will be joining a pistol club and that he will have access to pistols as part of his participation in competitive shooting.

It can't just say you're a good bloke. Because the person is essentially saying you are a fit and proper person to have access to a concealable firearm.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nickthegreek » 30 Sep 2017, 4:53 am

I applied end of may for A/B and was approved 9 weeks later.
Nickthegreek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jdt96 » 02 Oct 2017, 6:38 am

Applied the 21st of August. So I’m only halfway through the apparent “12 week” wait. got two rifles paid off in the shop and the wait is already killing me. :thumbsdown:
Jdt96
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 02 Oct 2017, 5:33 pm

I know how you feel I am at 16 weeks tomorrow I am hopeful it will be this week.
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jdt96 » 02 Oct 2017, 6:01 pm

Joeseb87 wrote:I know how you feel I am at 16 weeks tomorrow I am hopeful it will be this week.

Far out man that’s terrible I wish you luck with that. They shouldn’t be able to leave you without any word
Jdt96
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ex-Digger » 02 Oct 2017, 10:15 pm

16 weeks? That is a bloody outrage.
Ex-Digger
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext