Shottie: ATA or Akkar or?

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Shottie: ATA or Akkar or?

Post by Slant225 » 19 Sep 2017, 5:12 pm

Hi brainstrust.
I'm thinking about buying my first U/O 12G shottie after having a good time smacking the clays...
I don't hunt, it would be only for sporting and perhaps the occasional club competition at this point. (Unless I get hooked)
I've had a look at a few different brands and models, the ATA 686 range and the Akkar Churchill sporter models look around my price point, max would be about the $1000-$1200 mark.
So, cutting past the gun shop salesman pitch, what am I supposed to be looking for in a half decent shotgun that is going to last me a few years or until my ability exceeds the gun? (If ever!)
Are things like exposed chokes necessary?
Adjustable combs?
Vented barrels?
Raised or ramped ribs?
Can they all run steel shot or is this even an issue?
Do the two brands that I have mentioned offer good value for money?
Has anyone had issues with either brands?
Have I missed anything?
Sorry for the 20 questions, but like most I like to make an informed decision and HATE paying for something that fails to meet my requirements or expectations when paying a bit more could prevent that.
Cheers, and thanks for your help.
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Shottie: ATA or Akkar or?

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2017, 5:15 pm

Slant225 wrote:Hi brainstrust.
I'm thinking about buying my first U/O 12G shottie after having a good time smacking the clays...
I don't hunt, it would be only for sporting and perhaps the occasional club competition at this point. (Unless I get hooked)
I've had a look at a few different brands and models, the ATA 686 range and the Akkar Churchill sporter models look around my price point, max would be about the $1000-$1200 mark.
So, cutting past the gun shop salesman pitch, what am I supposed to be looking for in a half decent shotgun that is going to last me a few years or until my ability exceeds the gun? (If ever!)
Are things like exposed chokes necessary?
Adjustable combs?
Vented barrels?
Raised or ramped ribs?
Can they all run steel shot or is this even an issue?
Do the two brands that I have mentioned offer good value for money?
Has anyone had issues with either brands?
Have I missed anything?
Sorry for the 20 questions, but like most I like to make an informed decision and HATE paying for something that fails to meet my requirements or expectations when paying a bit more could prevent that.
Cheers, and thanks for your help.

Have you looked at the Stoeger Condor?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Slant225 » 19 Sep 2017, 5:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Have you looked at the Stoeger Condor?

Thanks for the reply Bladeracer.
I hadn't to be honest.
A mate has a stoeger SxS "tactical" coachgun and his is falling apart. The wood has split and cracked, it pops open when firing and generally seems of poor build quality.
Do their other models like the condor go alright?
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2017, 5:56 pm

Slant225 wrote:A mate has a stoeger SxS "tactical" coachgun and his is falling apart. The wood has split and cracked, it pops open when firing and generally seems of poor build quality.
Do their other models like the condor go alright?

Wow, maybe a warranty claim might be in order?
Mine has been just fine. 30" barrels, 3" chambers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 19 Sep 2017, 6:27 pm

I have an Akkar, with 20 and 30 inch barrels. It's solid, no frills, fires every time. It's not fancy but it has decent wood and seems to be well constructed. Action is tight and closes with a nice solid feel. Don't know if it's better than an ATA, never fired one. If I had my time again I would save a bit longer and get a Miroku mk 10 or Browning Citori (basically same gun I believe). Also have a look at Franchi Phoneix and Bettensoli.
Last edited by Supaduke on 22 Apr 2018, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by marksman » 19 Sep 2017, 6:45 pm

Supaduke wrote:I have an Akkar, with 20 and 30 inch barrels. It's solid, no frills, fires every time. It's not fancy but it had decent wood and seems to be well constructed. Action is tight and closes with a nice solid feel. Don't know if it's better than an ATA, never fired one. If I had my team again I would save a bit longer and get a Miroku mk 10 or Browning Citori (basically same gun I believe). Also have a look at Franchi Phoneix and Bettensoli.

this is what I was thinking when you mentioned shooting clay's because shooting clay's is very demanding on a shotgun,
if you had said for hunting I would have said either and either will do for clay's but I don't know for how long
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 19 Sep 2017, 7:38 pm

Well maintained, any of those shotguns will comfortably outlive you. Unless you are shooting competitively every weekend, you won't come close to wearing one out.

Functionally , more expensive shotguns have no real advantage. They are finished nicer, have nicer timber, more finesse....

As far as throwing lead shot down range for thousands of rounds, they are much of a muchness.

As far as stoegers. The full length shotguns I can't comment on, no experience. The short 'tactical' ones with rails etc, I have heard nothing but bad things. The ones I have handled were nothing short of ******.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Slant225 » 19 Sep 2017, 10:17 pm

Supaduke wrote:I have an Akkar, with 20 and 30 inch barrels. It's solid, no frills, fires every time. It's not fancy but it had decent wood and seems to be well constructed. Action is tight and closes with a nice solid feel. Don't know if it's better than an ATA, never fired one. If I had my team again I would save a bit longer and get a Miroku mk 10 or Browning Citori (basically same gun I believe). Also have a look at Franchi Phoneix and Bettensoli.

What is it that a Miroku or Browning has over your Akkar? Is it simply build quality or is the Akkar lacking in some respects?
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Slant225 » 19 Sep 2017, 10:19 pm

marksman wrote:

this is what I was thinking when you mentioned shooting clay's because shooting clay's is very demanding on a shotgun,
if you had said for hunting I would have said either and either will do for clay's but I don't know for how long

To be honest it would only be the occasional run with the clays. It seems a bit of a rich man's game, that you can blast through a box of shells in an arvo. Even on special that's a bit more cash than I'm prepared to drop every weekend.
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 19 Sep 2017, 10:48 pm

I'll second Supaduke on the Akkar Churchill as I've got the same setup, good honest gun and so far very reliable but I'm not smashing hundreds of clays with it. They do need to be stored with a good coat of oil or they'll rust.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Slant225 » 20 Sep 2017, 9:35 pm

brett1868 wrote:I'll second Supaduke on the Akkar Churchill as I've got the same setup, good honest gun and so far very reliable but I'm not smashing hundreds of clays with it. They do need to be stored with a good coat of oil or they'll rust.

Thanks for your reply, Brett. Is your Akkar Churchill a blued finish?. One model, the 812 sporter in the NIOA catalogue talks about an all new nitrided corrosion resistant finish.

This is all rather confusing! Too many options haha.
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Sep 2017, 9:47 pm

I didn't mean any disrespect about either of your choices in shotgun
if you are talking a round of clay's occasionally I could not see a problem at all
a round of clay's could be 50 shots
but to do comp shooting every weekend the shotguns will get rattly pretty quick
and the higher end shotguns get rattly as well
I used to use an old double barrel cashmore hammer job for giggles
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 20 Sep 2017, 9:55 pm

if you're going cheap ya might as well go real cheap
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Sep 2017, 10:24 pm

Re your specific question pertaining to steel shot,,,, that would entirely depend on whether or not you start putting it through whatever gun you buy.
If you intend on using a lot of steel shot, the barrel/s must be suited to steel shot.
I have used on regular occasions, a Miroku Mk 10 with barrels suited for steel shot, and also a mates ATA,,,,,,, they are all good as far as I'm concerned.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Slant225 » 21 Sep 2017, 10:48 am

Rikta wrote:if you're going cheap ya might as well go real cheap

?? And this helps how??

What are you referring to?
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Sep 2017, 11:19 am

Die Judicii wrote:Re your specific question pertaining to steel shot,,,, that would entirely depend on whether or not you start putting it through whatever gun you buy.
If you intend on using a lot of steel shot, the barrel/s must be suited to steel shot.
I have used on regular occasions, a Miroku Mk 10 with barrels suited for steel shot, and also a mates ATA,,,,,,, they are all good as far as I'm concerned.

pretty sure its not the barrels that are the problem for shooting steel shot its the chokes and that's why you can get the full choke opened up on your old bettsy and safely shoot steel out of it, you can shoot steel up tp 1/2 choke, the dse did a test on shooting steel shot out of lead shooting shotguns years ago and what they came up with was that your lead proof shot gun will get a ring near the full choke being cosmetic and nothing disastrous like a blow up,
steel shot does have more punch and will get your shotgun rattly quicker than lead
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Rayza42 » 22 Apr 2018, 1:56 am

Ok slant225 (or should I just call you 'old val' for short? :drinks: ), I realise that I'm joining the conversation 7 months later, but did you end up buying an Akkar or an ATA? I've just discovered the joy of smashing clays, and am not interested in killing critters (even though I know there are some as must be killed). I'm looking at a new ATA 686B for $800 as my first clay-smasher and have been trawling the net looking for reviews or opinions but have not found anything other than "buy a mirouku or browning", which is generally out of my price range. Anyone got an opinion?
Rayza42
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 22 Apr 2018, 7:50 pm

ATA basically make a Beretta clone. The receivers are the same. The barrel is made in turkey, Beretta still use Italian barrels. The wood is a slightly different shape and profile and is Turkish walnut, not European. So not quite as nice looking, but perfectly functional.

For all intents and purposes, the ATA is a Beretta 686 with some cost cutting in the wood, final fit and where the barrel is sourced. The receivers are made in the same factory for Beretta and ATA.

That's right Beretta fans, you have a Turkish shotgun too, just like us plebs. ;)
Last edited by Supaduke on 20 Nov 2018, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Rayza42 » 23 Apr 2018, 8:07 pm

Thanks Supaduke.
I've not been able to find much in the way of reviews on the ATA or heard from anyone that actually has one. My budget is already stretched at $800, and with the Akkars starting at around $900 I figure the 5 year warranty might just tip the scales towards the ATA. Of course, a warranty is only as good as the company behind it so there's no telling whether it is worth the paper its written on or not.
If anyone else has bought an ATA, or at least fired one, I'd really like to hear from you.
:)
Rayza42
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Breadroll » 04 Sep 2018, 11:16 pm

I've just bought an Akkar Churchill 30" Sporter and love it! It feels very comfortable and not too heavy. The furniture feels a bit smaller compared to other guns I have tried, which suits me just fine as I have smaller hands. It is a great first gun at a fantastic price!
Breadroll
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Slant225 » 20 Nov 2018, 6:17 pm

Rayza42 wrote:Ok slant225 (or should I just call you 'old val' for short? :drinks: ), I realise that I'm joining the conversation 7 months later, but did you end up buying an Akkar or an ATA? I've just discovered the joy of smashing clays, and am not interested in killing critters (even though I know there are some as must be killed). I'm looking at a new ATA 686B for $800 as my first clay-smasher and have been trawling the net looking for reviews or opinions but have not found anything other than "buy a mirouku or browning", which is generally out of my price range. Anyone got an opinion?

Hi Rayza,
I'm a sporadic poster, so didn't revisit the thread for quite some time.
In the end, I bought a Miroku MK38 grade 1 sporter. It was a touch under $1400. WAAYYY more than I wanted to spend (like nearly double) BUT I tried a whole bunch of shotguns including Silver pigeons and Brownings as well as the cheaper ones I originally asked about, and the Miroku fit me the best. It came to the shoulder the nicest and felt the most natural for my gorilla arms.
Honestly I feel it was better for me to save up a bit longer and get what worked best for me. I'm a buy once cry once kinda guy. Easier to get past the purchasing officer too.
Hope this helps, and sorry for the belated reply.
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.