Soft boiling eggs over the camp fire

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Soft boiling eggs over the camp fire

Post by Tonit » 10 Oct 2017, 12:48 pm

If there's a trick to this I don't know it :lol:

I've tried some soft boiled eggs and toast for brekkie the last few trips and each time they've come out rock solid.

I'm no master chef :lol:

How do you guys do it and time it?
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Soft boiling eggs over the camp fire

Post by bladeracer » 10 Oct 2017, 2:29 pm

Tonit wrote:If there's a trick to this I don't know it :lol:

I've tried some soft boiled eggs and toast for brekkie the last few trips and each time they've come out rock solid.

I prefer my eggs cooked, a good twenty-minutes usually sorts them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 10 Oct 2017, 5:58 pm

The rules are the same as for cooking them at home. put eggs in pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. turn off and sit for 4 mins covered. If they're too hard cook them for shorter time. hahahah

We've moved to poached eggs now. less shell to eat and they don't roll off your plate when you sit in your camp chair, boil water, crack egg in and wait 3min then pull them out

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 10 Oct 2017, 6:26 pm

if they are over boiled, just un-boil them a bit in some cold water
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 10 Oct 2017, 7:03 pm

Tonit wrote:If there's a trick to this I don't know it :lol:

If you can get your pot to maintain a low simmer (tiny bubbles at the bottom only and not breaking the surface) throw room temp eggs in fully submerged for 4 mins and youre done, otherwise do as was suggested with bringing them up to the boil and set aside covered, I dont know for how long but assume 5-7 mins.
Use a timer to work out the perfect timing for your prefference and the size of egg you use, also take note if the eggs are cold or warm, I never keep eggs in the fridge.
Timing is everything, even 30 seconds can make the difference, if you are eating a few eggs you may want to dunk some of them in cold water to stop them cooking further, sometimes the first can be spot on but by the time you get to the third the residual heat has set if fully.
Bigjobss

Post by bladeracer » 10 Oct 2017, 7:08 pm

Bigjobss wrote:If you can get your pot to maintain a low simmer (tiny bubbles at the bottom only and not breaking the surface) throw room temp eggs in fully submerged for 4 mins and youre done, otherwise do as was suggested with bringing them up to the boil and set aside covered, I dont know for how long but assume 5-7 mins.
Use a timer to work out the perfect timing for your prefference and the size of egg you use, also take note if the eggs are cold or warm, I never keep eggs in the fridge.
Timing is everything, even 30 seconds can make the difference, if you are eating a few eggs you may want to dunk some of them in cold water to stop them cooking further, sometimes the first can be spot on but by the time you get to the third the residual heat has set if fully.

Isn't the time also dependent on how many you're cooking? I would normally do a whole box and just fridge them for snacks rather than have to boil them every time I want one.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Oct 2017, 7:40 pm

It's all in the timing.

I'm the family egg cooker in this household because I always nail it but my missus can't cook eggs to save her life.
She has come up with a solution for those occasions that im not home ... a fancy egg timer that gets put in to the pot with the eggs, it changes colour as the heat soaks into it.

It works a treat, you really can't go wrong using it. :thumbsup:
images (20).jpg
images (20).jpg (19.31 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 10 Oct 2017, 8:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:If you can get your pot to maintain a low simmer (tiny bubbles at the bottom only and not breaking the surface) throw room temp eggs in fully submerged for 4 mins and youre done, otherwise do as was suggested with bringing them up to the boil and set aside covered, I dont know for how long but assume 5-7 mins.

Isn't the time also dependent on how many you're cooking? I would normally do a whole box and just fridge them for snacks rather than have to boil them every time I want one.

Yeh 100% correct, the more eggs you cook the longer it will take because of the increased heat transfer required between the hot water and the colder eggs, I am not a thermal engineer so happy to be told how to suck (boil) eggs :lol:

At home I will chuck a dozen eggs in a pot, bring them to the boil and simmer for 5 mins and turn off, after about 20 mins I will drain them and chuck them in the fridge for snacks.
Bigjobss

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Oct 2017, 8:30 pm

Never boiled eggs out camping so can't help other than to say get a shovel and put some coals next to the fire and cook on that, that way you don't end up with 3rd degree burns or burnt offerings as is often the case with those who cook on the main fire. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Oct 2017, 10:58 pm

When i cook soft boiled eggs in camp Bring water to boil put in eggs 3-31/2 min and bobs ya uncle don't put in cold water after
removing from hot water it will stop the cooking process let cool in open air :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by GLS_1956 » 11 Oct 2017, 12:01 am

I was aught this by a former US Navy cook, have eggs and water at room temperature, don't crowd the eggs, cover the eggs with at least 2 inches of water, bring eggs and water to a full rolling boil and then remove from heat and cover. Start counting, in two minutes you have your two minute egg, in three minutes... for perfect hardboiled eggs let the eggs and water come to temp you can handle bare handed. This if for cooking at altitudes below 3000 feet, for greater that 3000 feet let the eggs boil for a minute before removing them from heat.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Oct 2017, 6:45 am

When I do em at home I just fill the pot with cold water, put the eggs in and bring it to a boil, them switch em off and let em sit for a min or 2 whilst the toast cooks and they usually come out fine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Oct 2017, 12:05 pm

All I do is bring the pot of water, with enough water to cover, to the boil, add a splash of vinegar, lower eggs in and boil for 3-4 minutes with or without lid on. Hard boiled 10-12 minutes.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Oct 2017, 12:07 pm

All I do is bring the pot of water, with enough water to cover, to the boil, add a splash of vinegar, lower eggs in and boil for 3-4 minutes with or without lid on. Hard boiled 10-12 minutes.
Basically what Grandadbushy said...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation