Pistol recommendations

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Pistol recommendations

Post by Rider888 » 29 Oct 2017, 1:46 pm

Hi Folks,

Will be in the market to buy my first pistols in about the 1st Q of 2018 and was wondering what your recommendations are.

I won't be looking at anything too expensive such as the Sig brands but have been keen on Glocks, CZ's and perhaps Beretta's

I dont suppose there is anywhere in Sydney that offers a try before you buy scheme?

I will be home in NSW over the Xmas period so may do a bit more investigating over the Xmas/NY period.

Thank you
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Pistol recommendations

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Oct 2017, 4:35 pm

G'day Rider888,
Handguns seem to be a very subjective item, what I might like another shooter may hate. I can't recommend highly enough that you attend a range nearby and ask to try some pistols. Many clubs have come and try days, visit and talk to the people is your best course of action, good luck, and I hope you take it up as I find it can be a lot of fun, and hopefully you will "UP the statistics and piss off a greenie or two!, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 29 Oct 2017, 5:00 pm

Nah not yet. I have only used a club pistol but am unsure of what it is. However the ones I am looking at buying are the ones that I am keen on
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 29 Oct 2017, 5:04 pm

Rider888 wrote:Nah not yet. I have only used a club pistol but am unsure of what it is. However the ones I am looking at buying are the ones that I am keen on

What club are you a member of? Might be another member here that can help you out.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by galaxy » 29 Oct 2017, 5:05 pm

Where do you shoot? As an RO I see a lot of people buy what they think is cool but are disappointed when they have only a couple of holes on the target.
Talk to some members at your club. Most are more than happy to let you have a go at their gun.
galaxy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 29 Oct 2017, 5:08 pm

I am hoping to find someone from the St Mary's gun club that could be a POC for me when I get back to NSW as that will be the 'closest" club to where I will be over Xmas
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by galaxy » 29 Oct 2017, 5:49 pm

Well I am at St. Marys, so are a good number of others on here. Let us know when you are planning a range visit and I'm sure we can tee something up.
galaxy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 29 Oct 2017, 6:06 pm

galaxy wrote:Well I am at St. Marys, so are a good number of others on here. Let us know when you are planning a range visit and I'm sure we can tee something up.

Thats very generous of you. Thank you. I don't suppose the range is open over the Xmas/NY period cause that is when I will be in Sydney
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 29 Oct 2017, 6:14 pm

Rider888 wrote:Hi Folks,

Will be in the market to buy my first pistols in about the 1st Q of 2018 and was wondering what your recommendations are.

I won't be looking at anything too expensive such as the Sig brands but have been keen on Glocks, CZ's and perhaps Beretta's

I dont suppose there is anywhere in Sydney that offers a try before you buy scheme?

I will be home in NSW over the Xmas period so may do a bit more investigating over the Xmas/NY period.

Thank you

For IPSC or something else?

I love the CZ clones. I prefer a real safety than the Glock thing. Drawing and holstering is when the trigger is likely to be interfered with and when it needs to be incapable of firing.

The important part of choosing a handgun is how it feels in your hand so you really need to at least handle them if you can't actually shoot them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 29 Oct 2017, 8:54 pm

Ok Rider888 & Galaxy, both of you need to get in touch with Wylie27, itsme, Pomemax and myself as we're all regulars at St Mary's and between us there's quite a good collection of different pistols we can let you try. Glocks, Berettas, CZ's, Walther's, Rugar, STi and a few others so I'm sure we can organise something. PM me and we'll get something sorted.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 29 Oct 2017, 8:56 pm

I need direction to get my pistol licence I'm in Sydney
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 30 Oct 2017, 5:16 am

You really need to work and shoot them to find what fits your chosen disipline and style, i'm glock guy, just simple and nice to use
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by galaxy » 30 Oct 2017, 3:53 pm

Rider, it should be open all days except the public holidays.
galaxy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 30 Oct 2017, 4:08 pm

brett1868 wrote:Ok Rider888 & Galaxy, both of you need to get in touch with Wylie27, itsme, Pomemax and myself as we're all regulars at St Mary's and between us there's quite a good collection of different pistols we can let you try. Glocks, Berettas, CZ's, Walther's, Rugar, STi and a few others so I'm sure we can organise something. PM me and we'll get something sorted.

Thanks Brett1868. I have already sent you a PM. Can you please confirm if you received it? Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 30 Oct 2017, 4:24 pm

First handgun I bought, more than 40 years ago, was a 22LR pistol, I still have it. I will always suggest that a person start with a 22LR. I understand that for you down under it is a difficult and expensive procedure to get handguns, indeed any gun, compared to us in the US.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Oct 2017, 4:49 pm

Brett dont forget arasaka! (NB)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Oct 2017, 4:49 pm

Rider and galaxy are tour names brett by chance? :lol:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 31 Oct 2017, 5:02 am

Incidentally, does anyone own a CZ Shadow 2? Ive read nothing but good things about it in particular their reliability but I guess that could be subjective. Any thoughts?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 31 Oct 2017, 6:46 am

Rider888,

Yes i have a shadow 2. Fantastic pistol, makes me look better than i really am.. Worth every cent for it!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 31 Oct 2017, 10:08 am

So AT xmass you will have you ppl or you get that early next year ? It will make a difference.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 31 Oct 2017, 4:05 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Rider888,

Yes i have a shadow 2. Fantastic pistol, makes me look better than i really am.. Worth every cent for it!

Thanks for that feedback. Would be great to see one in the flesh. Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 31 Oct 2017, 4:05 pm

pomemax wrote:So AT xmass you will have you ppl or you get that early next year ? It will make a difference.

I will have my PPL when I visit
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 31 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm

Sorry forgot to as 1st 6 months or 2 6 months
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by galaxy » 01 Nov 2017, 3:28 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Rider and galaxy are tour names brett by chance? :lol:

Sorry what are you implying? I may be ugly but Brett has taken it to new heights.....
galaxy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Nov 2017, 4:03 pm

galaxy wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:Rider and galaxy are tour names brett by chance? :lol:

Sorry what are you implying? I may be ugly but Brett has taken it to new heights.....

That's a change, I generally take most things straight to the gutter :lol: :drinks:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 01 Nov 2017, 4:06 pm

pomemax wrote:Sorry forgot to as 1st 6 months or 2 6 months

Hi Pomemax, thanks for your message.

I am in my 1st 6 at the moment and will be rolling into my 2nd 6 in Q1, 2018

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by spEKTre » 12 Nov 2017, 4:50 pm

You need to determine what matches you are going to shoot first, the biggest and most common mistake is a newbie shooter buying a cool sounding gun then trying to find a match to shoot it in. This is plain dumb, go to clubs and see what matches you think you may like and see what the top shooters are using. No point buying a single action revolver for a match you need 10 shot strings in with a reload in the middle. Today I saw a newbie shooter rock up with a model 17 glock...he had to walk down to 5 yard line to hit the target as it didn't come with adjustable sights.
spEKTre
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2017, 4:55 pm

spEKTre wrote:You need to determine what matches you are going to shoot first, the biggest and most common mistake is a newbie shooter buying a cool sounding gun then trying to find a match to shoot it in. This is plain dumb, go to clubs and see what matches you think you may like and see what the top shooters are using. No point buying a single action revolver for a match you need 10 shot strings in with a reload in the middle. Today I saw a newbie shooter rock up with a model 17 glock...he had to walk down to 5 yard line to hit the target as it didn't come with adjustable sights.

Glocks should be at least windage adjustable?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 12 Nov 2017, 5:59 pm

What and then shoot it gangster style? :)
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers