Spika Safe Review/Comments

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Spika Safe Review/Comments

Post by Rider888 » 11 Nov 2017, 6:14 pm

Folks,

I went into a store today to look at a safe and was asking the guys about the Spika safes. Their comment was that there have been issues with the quality of Spika safes and in turn not meeting legislation. Has anyone experienced this or got anything to add?

Trying to see if there is any truth to this or is it that they dont carry that brand and as such, will try make something up to put me off Spika?

The store did carry Lokaway but sadly, this brand does not make a Pistol safe, that is under 1 meter high with digital combo, that meets NSW requirements.

Thoughts?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Spika Safe Review/Comments

Post by Supaduke » 11 Nov 2017, 7:45 pm

Considering it's got folded corners or welds on each edge, unless it's actually falling apart I can't see how it could possibly fail inspection. Sounds like a load of BS to sell you a different brand.

All mainstream safes are made to be within Australian requirements. Be a marketing disaster otherwise and it would be common knowledge within the shooting community.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 11 Nov 2017, 8:46 pm

Spika are an Australian company.

https://spika.com.au/products/safes
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 11 Nov 2017, 8:49 pm

If you were told that in a store, then why is the store knowingly selling a non compliant safe (and tell you about it)?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Nov 2017, 9:40 pm

Spika do several different safes. You may need to be more specific as to which model safe your concerned about.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 11 Nov 2017, 10:26 pm

Maybe something that isn't cat H but that was cat A & B is what was commented upon. My Spika is A & B compliant and I have had not issues with inspections or otherwise.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 12 Nov 2017, 3:44 am

juststarting wrote:If you were told that in a store, then why is the store knowingly selling a non compliant safe (and tell you about it)?

Not sure why. I think they were just as surprised when I mentioned that Lokaway is the only mainstream manufacture that did not make a compliant safe that met my requirements
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 12 Nov 2017, 3:45 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Spika do several different safes. You may need to be more specific as to which model safe your concerned about.

Im not actually concerned. The retail store mentioned that there have been compliance and quality issues with Spika in the past. I am looking at the SCB1. In terms of compliance, I am well aware of my rights for compensation/refund under fair trading act if the safe I buy is deemed not compliant and hence not fit for purpose.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Xerox » 13 Nov 2017, 12:43 pm

Supaduke wrote:Considering it's got folded corners or welds on each edge, unless it's actually falling apart I can't see how it could possibly fail inspection. Sounds like a load of BS to sell you a different brand.

I agree.

Spika are good.

The SCB1 (as later mentioned) and a iron lump of a unit too.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by veep » 15 Nov 2017, 3:19 pm

Were they out of stock?

That's usually the reason something is crap.

The one that have in stock for you to buy then and there is always real good though :lol:
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 20 Nov 2017, 9:46 am

Pretty sure Spika safes are now made in China.

Try support local Australian business with something made here.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 20 Nov 2017, 10:13 am

bullzeye wrote:Pretty sure Spika safes are now made in China.

Like what?
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 20 Nov 2017, 11:04 am

I have the SCH 2 never any problems at all only thing is I as wondering about where I could fit another one
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Cruiser » 20 Nov 2017, 12:23 pm

Hey Guys,

Let me introduce myself here as the NSW and WA Sales representative for Spika Pty Ltd an Australian owned and run business. I can tell you for a fact that as far as Australian Laws are concerned each and every State differs and for each one Spika have approved safes.
There have been times where certain safes were not "accepted" by the licensing officer doing inspections maybe because of the area you live or what ever reason he/she has? as the final tick has to come from them. But one thing I can say for sure that no safe company in Australia who sell safes through reputable Australian Firearms Dealers would go down the track of selling or promoting a safe that is not compliant with the law,
The SCB1 is compliant for handguns in NSW, it is not usually a safe for a shop to keep in stock as they are a 150kg and an awkward safe to move around (no reason to bag it out though)
As for the safes being made in China? yes Spika safes are made in China along with the majority if not all other safe brands available in Australia today.
Spika is continually upgrading and making changes to our safe line to better improve security and strength yet still remain Australia's popular safe company for value and quality.
I am happy to chat with you regarding any issues what so ever regarding Spika safes or the rest of the great line of products we sell.
Rider888 if you could elaborate as to where the shop is that is giving you this false advice I would appreciate it.
Thanks for listening.
David Abela
NSW & WA Sales Representative
Spika Pty Ltd
Cruiser
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rifle realist » 20 Nov 2017, 12:59 pm

Hi Rider888
I have just installed a Huntpro 16 gun safe for some more room, according to th LGS I bought it from they are made by the 2 blokes who used to make Lokaway. I already have couple of Lockaway safes but I think these are better.
On there website Huntpro show pistol safes.
I use a couple of Buffalo River pistol safes for ammo storage.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 21 Nov 2017, 6:09 pm

i have a spika s-3 for my a&b rifles and it's a bewdy. no complaints, no issues. bought the ammo safe to bolt to the top as a accessory .all good. i reakon supaduke is right and they were bagging spika is a sales strategy
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 23 Nov 2017, 5:29 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Spika do several different safes. You may need to be more specific as to which model safe your concerned about.

It wasn't my concern. I went into the store looking for options and the SR volunteered the info to me to say that, in the past, there were quality and non-compliance issues with Spika.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Nov 2017, 8:08 pm

as with everything in life rider888 i would go to another respectable store and get a second opinion. as a representative of spika , "cruiser" has put in writing spika's product status and made himself available for a chat. that's not a bad effort. good luck with your discision.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 26 Nov 2017, 3:02 pm

HI David, I sent you a private message but hadn't heard back. Did you receive my message?

Regards

Cruiser wrote:Hey Guys,

Let me introduce myself here as the NSW and WA Sales representative for Spika Pty Ltd an Australian owned and run business. I can tell you for a fact that as far as Australian Laws are concerned each and every State differs and for each one Spika have approved safes.
There have been times where certain safes were not "accepted" by the licensing officer doing inspections maybe because of the area you live or what ever reason he/she has? as the final tick has to come from them. But one thing I can say for sure that no safe company in Australia who sell safes through reputable Australian Firearms Dealers would go down the track of selling or promoting a safe that is not compliant with the law,
The SCB1 is compliant for handguns in NSW, it is not usually a safe for a shop to keep in stock as they are a 150kg and an awkward safe to move around (no reason to bag it out though)
As for the safes being made in China? yes Spika safes are made in China along with the majority if not all other safe brands available in Australia today.
Spika is continually upgrading and making changes to our safe line to better improve security and strength yet still remain Australia's popular safe company for value and quality.
I am happy to chat with you regarding any issues what so ever regarding Spika safes or the rest of the great line of products we sell.
Rider888 if you could elaborate as to where the shop is that is giving you this false advice I would appreciate it.
Thanks for listening.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 27 Nov 2017, 3:04 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:
bullzeye wrote:Pretty sure Spika safes are now made in China.

Like what?

Ardel
CMI
Berry
Kookaburra
Abate

Am sure there are more
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment