Ruger american VS Savage B22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger american VS Savage B22

Post by Kenny » 15 Sep 2017, 12:42 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a new 22lr.
It'll be for plinking, some rabbits and teaching my wife to shoot.
Considering Ruger American and the new Savage B22. I do like the compact/short version.

Anyone here have experience with both? Would love to get some feedback. Seen lots of reviews for both, but not a direct comparison.

Cheers
Ken
Kenny
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Ruger american VS Savage B22

Post by Monty » 19 Sep 2017, 10:35 am

Welcome Kenny,

Honestly plinking isn't very demanding, either will tick the fun box and cover a little rabbit hunting.

Generally speaking, Savage have a good reputation for value and accuracy, Rugers are tough and reliable.

I would say the solid feel of Ruger is usually what attracts people to them.

The B22 only comes in black Synthetic I blieve, while the Ruger comes in a variety of synthetic colours/patterns and timber options. So depending on your personal taste that might swing you either way.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 19 Sep 2017, 10:48 am

Henry lever action .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 19 Sep 2017, 1:23 pm

Ruger, I did pick up the Savage B22 and found it felt cheap, but both should be good enough for bunnies just try each one at your local gun shop and see what feel better.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Sep 2017, 6:10 pm

I purchased a Savage 22lr B.A. L.H. Mk.II the other day and found the price very hard to beat. Only fired a box of ammo through it at this stage and goes alright. I think the B22 is a few grades up from mine.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Kenny » 20 Sep 2017, 10:58 am

Thanks for the feedback guys..

I settled for the ruger this morning. They've ordered a new in, so I'll have it in a few days..
Gone for the compact version, nice and easy to take out.
Keep hearing how reliable the rugers are... that was the decision maker for me..
Kenny
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 20 Sep 2017, 1:53 pm

Ruger hands down, I deliberated between the short savage fvsr and the ruger american OD green, both have heavy threaded barrels, bith had synthetic stocks, but the savage came with a pitiful 5 shot magazine and little to no after market accessories like extended magazines etc... whereas the ruger cost me $50 more and I can buy 50 shot magazines, 10 shot, 20 shot, 25 shot, and 15 shot...

and after getting it licensed and having some fun with it i can honestly say its just as accurate as my old mans brno which is a tac driver.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kenny » 13 Nov 2017, 9:08 pm

RA.jpg
RA.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 11878 times
RA1.jpg
RA1.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 11878 times

Thought I'd update you guys on how I went..

Settled for the Ruger American Compact. Great gun, really like it so far.
About 3 weeks back I took it out for the first few shoots and to get a feel to it.
Being Melbourne weather, I left home one a nice sunny day, one hour later getting to the bush it was rain and strong wind..
No long distance for me that day, just put some targets out on 25 meter that had reasonable good shelter to wind. Was planning a bit further than that..
Anyways, while it'll be good to run it in a bit more, just straight out of the box it feels good. The shoots on this pic was taken with CCI stingers.

I'll get some targets out a bit further next time.

Interestingly, the only bunnies I saw was while driving through town, and they were sitting in the grass close to the road, looking at me and laughing... :)
Kenny
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 14 Nov 2017, 12:26 am

Beautiful rifle, I'm incredibly happy with my full size american in .22lr, the thing is built like a tank. For the money they can't be beat. :drinks:
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 14 Nov 2017, 9:31 am

I chose the Ruger American in 22 wmr. When WAPOL finally issue the licence addition I will give feedback on my views of it. I like the aesthetics of the Ruger. I also like the fact I can get a high capacity accessory magazine for it. Which will be handy when the bunnies are thick on the ground.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kenny » 14 Nov 2017, 12:08 pm

Agree, lots of value for money..

Good point with the large cap magazine. Haven't bought one yet, but I will..
Kenny
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 14 Nov 2017, 1:51 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I chose the Ruger American in 22 wmr. When WAPOL finally issue the licence addition I will give feedback on my views of it. I like the aesthetics of the Ruger. I also like the fact I can get a high capacity accessory magazine for it. Which will be handy when the bunnies are thick on the ground.

I have one of these too, I like this rifle a lot.
High cap mag for bunny shooting? The bunnies won't stick around for longer than 2 shots! By the time they come back out from cover, you'll have had more than enough time to reload the factory 9 round mag and finish a stubby!
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 14 Nov 2017, 7:58 pm

I have one of these too, I like this rifle a lot.
High cap mag for bunny shooting? The bunnies won't stick around for longer than 2 shots! By the time they come back out from cover, you'll have had more than enough time to reload the factory 9 round mag and finish a stubby![/quote]

Ordinarily I would agree with you. Recently I went shooting on a property that was riddled with rabbits. It was pretty obvious that they hadn’t been shot at much. We got over a 100 bunnies and a fox in the afternoon and evening. If I hadnt left the magazine for my Anschutz at home, we no doubt would have shot more. Putting that piece of idiocy to one side, a high capacity magazine (in fact ANY magazine) would have simplified things.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 14 Nov 2017, 9:34 pm

Heh, the bunnies over there in WA must not be used to be shot at like they are here in Vic!
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 14 Nov 2017, 11:16 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Heh, the bunnies over there in WA must not be used to be shot at like they are here in Vic!

Well, not on this particular property!! I shot on a place on the south coast 20 years ago where 100 bunnies each in an arvo was disappointing. The blokes I shot with were World War 1 history buffs. They would name different parts of the farm after different battles. Their favourite paddock they called Paschendale after the carnage they wrought there.

That was of course in the days before calici. Other places closer to town where I have shot recently, the bunnies are more gunshy than a Kennedy’s barbecue.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles