Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Post by Stix » 12 Nov 2017, 10:28 pm

Fair enough OB...
If i didnt hav a .204, 222 & 250 on hand id get a 223...
But i like the idea of the hornet pushing a 40 grainer @2500fps with 10gr or so of powder...so i just want one...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Nov 2017, 5:57 am

"But i like the idea of the hornet pushing a 40 grainer @2500fps with 10gr or so of powder...so i just want one..."

Just develop a light load for the 222. Same, same.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Nov 2017, 9:16 am

Nah, OB too much mucking around with developing Hornet loads in a 222 or 223. Fillers required, another can of powder blah, blah, etc. Just get a Hornet, a lot less headaches.

Hey, STIX that triple 2 doesn't have the bolt on the left side by chance; I'm after one.?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Nov 2017, 9:40 am

Hey OB...i didnt ask for a pragmatic approach, so enough with the sensibility...!!! :sarcasm: :lol:

I said "cheap fun" & "i just want one"...

Nothing sensible about it... :thumbsup:

Hey RJ...
My .222 doesnt have a bolt on either side mate...got a lever underneath tho...
Its a Martini in .222 Rimmed....so a singlt shot...
Love it to bits...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Nov 2017, 11:21 am

:clap: :clap: (DROOL) great rifle!
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Nov 2017, 6:59 am

while i'm waiting for the PTA to go through on my hornet i took my weihrauch 60j in 22 mag to the range for a plink. i'm a newby shooter, was getting one inch groups for three shots at 50 with 50 gr federal. need more of that stuff grandadbushy called technique. lol. weihrauch has a bit of take up on the trigger, but it is the nicest trigger on any of my guns i've shot so far. so you guys reackon hornet is ok on feral dogs ? up to what range for the cartridge ? the nut behind the trigger probably needs more work.lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Nov 2017, 8:21 am

Well Bigrich I can only give you my personal opinion so here goes
Back when I had a hornet I had shot dogs out to 200yds or so but I do think you would be on the of being a little too far unless it's
a well placed shot , heart , lung would kill them but you may not find them
I would look at around 100-150 yds would be about perfect for the hornet although it would kill further out with head shots
Many people have different ideas of the hornet and its capabilities but I would feel comfortable with the distance I have given you with tougher shots
We have all done the unbelievable shot but that don't happen very often and also dogs are very tough and hard to knock down
The hornet is a very capable caliber for its size and one you will have lots of fun with at little expense other than the initial cost
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 14 Nov 2017, 9:08 am

Hey bigrich...Ive never had a hornet so i have no experience with the terminal performance of the round...so what grandadbush says sounds about what i would have thought...although i personally probably wouldnt shoot beyond 150 on dogs with an accurate rifle.

I prefer to find my target animal, infact see it fall over.

I dont know your shooting ability in the field but keep in mind that 1inch groups @ 50m at the range could equate to 4 inches or more at 150m in the field, when you take experience (or lack of), wind, no bench, adrenaline/buck fever etc into account...

Im a believer that its important to shoot live animals within your range/accuracy ability...

Seeing the target fall over in the scope at closer range does wonders for your confidence & ability compared to hoping you hit it at longer range &/or wondering how long it lives for.

Just my opinion mate...not trying to lecture...
Make sure you post pics of your first dead dog...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Nov 2017, 7:01 pm

Stix wrote:Hey bigrich...Ive never had a hornet so i have no experience with the terminal performance of the round...so what grandadbush says sounds about what i would have thought...although i personally probably wouldnt shoot beyond 150 on dogs with an accurate rifle.

I prefer to find my target animal, infact see it fall over.

I dont know your shooting ability in the field but keep in mind that 1inch groups @ 50m at the range could equate to 4 inches or more at 150m in the field, when you take experience (or lack of), wind, no bench, adrenaline/buck fever etc into account...

Im a believer that its important to shoot live animals within your range/accuracy ability...

Seeing the target fall over in the scope at closer range does wonders for your confidence & ability compared to hoping you hit it at longer range &/or wondering how long it lives for.

Just my opinion mate...not trying to lecture...
Make sure you post pics of your first dead dog...!

+1
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Nov 2017, 7:09 pm

See recommendations here: http://ssaa.org.au/hunting/what-you-can-hunt/

Just looking at the adi data, I'm now more inclined to say 120 meters max.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Nov 2017, 7:39 pm

thanks for the advice fellas, i guess ill have to just wait to get it and see how it shoots.was looking for a fox /bunny gun with a bit of style. it'll probably make my 22 mag redundant but. ha,ha. a mate has a cz 527 in hornet i had a go of and it impressed me with what it could do. i saw a early krico at my local gunshop that was reworked and reblued with a alan swan varmit barrel. early krico's are suppossed to have match triggers and be up there with anshutz. or so general opinions reackon. coulda gone 222,223, but i like old school stuff.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Nov 2017, 7:48 pm

just looked at your ssaa link old bloke, yeh fox/rabbit/cats for me hornet, my 6.5x55 for everything else. shot when i was younger, it's bin a long time since. definately need more practice and getting to know my rifles, but that's the fun and challenge i suppose.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Nov 2017, 8:05 pm

IMO I Wouldn't use a 22 Hornet for feral dogs,unless it was in a trap and then no more than 25yds..
My mate uses a 270W and reckons I'm undergunned with a 243W! The bare minimum i'd suggest is a 22-250.
Just remember, these little puppies have a big bite and when you're calling and they pop up out of the scrub at 30yds , you want something that hits and hits hard.
Safe hunting..
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Nov 2017, 8:11 pm

Hey bigrich...ive just twigged yr the fella on another thread...
Mate yr hornet will be an excellent fox/bunny gun...& wont make the 22 mag redundant--trust me, guns are better than chicks cos you can lock them away when you loose interest, & you can always relive an affair with an old flame when ever you want...lol..(gees can u say that in this ridiculous age where its cool to get offended at absolutely everything...?)...so you will shoot that 22 mag again after the hornet lust wears off...!!

Depending on how often the foxes get shot at where you go, you mite have to brush up on some whistle skills & buy a few diff whistles, but the hornet will be a cracker fox gun--just keep to the ranges you can shoot at out of a window/off back of ute...actually practice it under spotlight...!
I dont know if you reload, but get in to it if you dont already...you mite get it more accurate ammo...
& maybe try some 40gn'rs to get more velocity.

Then...then...well then you get bitten & get a 22-250...!
2017-11-14 20.28.41.jpg
150yd neurosurgery...
2017-11-14 20.28.41.jpg (352.39 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Nov 2017, 8:27 pm

GEEZ Stix that pic brings home the old saying of '' Always try and keep an open mind ''
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 14 Nov 2017, 9:02 pm

geez stix, i like how ya sum up your relationships with ya rifles, lol. atm it's all good fun for me, some stuff will work for what i will do, and i might have to move some on. i've built a bit of a collection already. the apple of my eye is a mod 70 win super grade in 6.5x55 with a leupold vx-2. have a m96 swede. weihrauch 22 mag, cz 452 super match, and a marlin 336 30-30. dunno if i'm gunna get the use out of the marlin, might just shoot it a bit and move it on for a 223. that's probably a good spread for me. got no desire to hunt buffalo or sambar. had a m38 swede when i was young and man it could shoot ! always thought the 6.5 is a good all rounder
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Nov 2017, 9:21 pm

actually just ready rogina jack's post about puppys popping up at 30 yards, maybe i have a use for a quick pointing 30-30 after all. should just buy another safe hey fellas? should get a 22-250 as well ya reackon stix ? think i read some of your old posts about red mist. lol might take me a while before i can use a 250 to it's full potential. maybe i should get a milsurplus rifle with a grenade launcher. ha ha . never tried fox whisling , might just buy a whistle and give it a go. going down tenterfeild way in coupla weeks, mate has bit of everything, goats,pigs ,rabbits,foxes,cats. not much deer though. the land is open paddocks and wooded ridges. be a nice change from the suburbs of logan
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Nov 2017, 10:24 pm

grandadbushy wrote:GEEZ Stix that pic brings home the old saying of '' Always try and keep an open mind ''

Lol...
It was a dedicated night on the foxes for the farmer, so he drove so i could do my thing to max effect...
He insisted i stay in the back of the ute while he picked them all up...
It was funny to hear a farmer, who slaughters his own beasts for meat, say "eewww, its brain just fell out"...(& it did, when it fell out it sounded like a wet sponge from washing the car hit the dirt).

It was me old 250 with a 50gr bt @3600fps...
Even at 200 yds with earplugs, when you hit the head they sound like a tennis ball popping from too much pressure....technically overkill, but instant, emphatic & humane kills.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 4:32 am

better to have overkill than underkill hey ? heard 22-250 shoots like a laser beam , dead flat. what's the make of your old 250 stix, what power scope and what range do you sight in for ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 15 Nov 2017, 6:40 am

Hey bigrich, old 22-250 is a remington.
Scope is 5-25x50.
Sight in around 200yds.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Nov 2017, 1:47 pm

22-250 can be a lazer but beware wind can play a little havoc out past 200 yards with the lighter projectiles but you
will get used to that as you get used to the rifle
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 4:09 pm

yeh well maybe that's something for me to remember grandadbushy. get real familiar with your rifle and know it's limits and capabilities. having a couple of rifles you know well is probably better than having lots of toys your not using as often. i will probably buy and sell a few before i'm comfortable with what i got. i know now but i wont ever part with my model 70 and m96 6.5's. been refering to chuck hawks "rifle battery "articles a bit to get a rational view of things. i like stix idea of having a few mistresses under lock and key but .lol. what's your old rem stix, a 700 ? ya set it up with a bull barrel or just got a easy to carry quick to point sporter barrel ? good to know you wear earplugs to stix. went to a gun show at ipswich a couple of weeks ago and just about had to yell at one bloke who was selling some stuff.ha ha
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 4:13 pm

getting of subject but, my mate in tenterfeild has issues with feral dogs. reckons their real smart and out of sight before he can get a shot off. any ideas guys ? whistle them in ? lay down some offal to give them a scent to come in on ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm

Many things can bring them in Bigrich if you go back through the forum you will get a lot of good information from many people
But a quick good one is lay a carcass out and sit on it afternoon and early morning don't let them scent you or see you sit back a
couple of hundred yards and a good rest
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Nov 2017, 5:37 pm

+1 Grandadbrushy, re carcass, or even road kill will do, just drag it/them into a location and position that gives you a clear shot from cover and stake the carcasses down.. The shooter might have to camp out a few nights too. Could also try a few traps around the area too. A spotlight and or N.V,. gear will help too.
If the dogs have been under pressure they can hear the click of a door or safety from miles away and are gone in a flash.
Good luck.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 6:25 pm

thanks for the advice fellas, hopin' in a week or two i'll put it into action. gunna have to find a factory load for my 6.5 with quick expanding bullets for light game. heard PPU 139 grain aren't too bad . any ideas ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Nov 2017, 1:19 am

Here ya go another one not much left ear left there must have had a toweling from another dog at some stage looks like
Doberman x judging by the build and shape of the legs its quiet tall with narrow jaw line
Or could be a bit of grey hound either way it days of breeding are over :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_4534.JPG
IMG_4534.JPG (1023.79 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Nov 2017, 9:32 am

My mate uses a 270win. with 130-140gr SP and they do the job pretty well, so the PPU 139 should go OK too. Any HPs available in the 6.5?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Nov 2017, 5:47 pm

good job on the feral mate, mate of mine was showing me pics of sheep that had to be put down cause of a dog pack.freakin heartbreaking for the bloke who owned them. don't know of any hollow points for 6.5. got a good deal on norma 156 gr vulcans. big soft point, but probably go straight through without much expansion. might do what i used to do with old millitary ammo and put a shallow x cut across the tip. thinking of getting a 22-250. old german made krico with a great trigger. any opinions ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 21 Nov 2017, 6:58 pm

bigrich wrote:good job on the feral mate, mate of mine was showing me pics of sheep that had to be put down cause of a dog pack.freakin heartbreaking for the bloke who owned them. don't know of any hollow points for 6.5. got a good deal on norma 156 gr vulcans. big soft point, but probably go straight through without much expansion. might do what i used to do with old millitary ammo and put a shallow x cut across the tip. thinking of getting a 22-250. old german made krico with a great trigger. any opinions ?

have you had a look at the sierra gameking in 130gr hpbt there designed for hunting or sierra varminter 100gr hp flat base
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control