I'm about to get into reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: I'm about to get into reloading

Post by juststarting » 15 Nov 2017, 9:46 am

It's same in Melbourne! I walked into a fun shop, actually took my little one who had a blast playing with everything... And asked for LR primers. All they had were Winchester for $75. Interestingly enough that was the last box of any primers there and another store near me were all out too. I just found it very bazar. Maybe panic buying anticipating restrictions, I don't know, was just weird. Anyway, nope, not paying that. So had to drive across the city to everyone's favourite fun supplier, Centreway, to buy them and while at, buy some ammo, powder and everything else I had on my list, but I was putting off for one reason or another.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Nov 2017, 11:26 am

I've shot off about 400 S&B small rifle primers and AOK so far. Next box will be 1000. Will last me till I fall off my perch. Lol

I still recommend people buy Lee Classic loader if they are not sure how serious they are about reloading. It gives them an opportunity to dip their toes in at a very low cost. And still produce decent ammo.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Nov 2017, 11:50 am

I tried Lee Classic Loader and look where it got me!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 16 Nov 2017, 6:28 pm

juststarting wrote:LOL, PM me when you're ready.

I may take you up on this offer closer to Christmas if its still there! I just got my Lee Kit today I just need a couple of more things and I'll be good to go!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2017, 6:44 pm

Zarrs wrote:

I may take you up on this offer closer to Christmas if its still there! I just got my Lee Kit today I just need a couple of more things and I'll be good to go!

Great, got the die yet?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Nov 2017, 7:00 pm

Np
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 16 Nov 2017, 7:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Zarrs wrote:

Great, got the die yet?

Not yet no I had a little look on ebay and I was alittle confused between the different lee die packs theres a yellow one and a red one, I havnt had time to look at the difference between the two.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Nov 2017, 7:26 pm

If you're doing 308, get

Cheapest RCBS 2 (seater and fullength resizer) or 3 (comes with crimp die you'll never use) die sets. Look for 2, crimp is useless for bolt action. It's about $30 more than Lee, but the quality is a lot better. If nothing else, they don't rust as easily.

And. Get Lee colett die for 308. They are the only ones that make them. There are neck sizing dies, but collet is the way to go.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Nov 2017, 9:43 am

Yep, my dies are in the garage. I have a few... I have a mix of RCBS and Lee. The 2 sets of Lee dies I use a lot had surface rust on them and I am not in exactly humid environment. Perhaps from handling. Anyway, they all got steel wool treatment, followed by Innox wipe. So that shouldn't happen again, but thought I'd note down the observation.

I change moisture absorption crystals every two months. I think I need to add 'whpe metal with Innox' to that schedule.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Nov 2017, 9:55 am

I rarely FL size. And even when I do, some are carbide dies and don't need lube. So yeah, there's that, hence need to be more proactive about it.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 17 Nov 2017, 11:21 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lee-Deluxe-Q ... SwvD5Z~pwX

I really like this idea for trimming brass thoughts? or waste of money
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2017, 11:56 pm

Zarrs wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lee-Deluxe-Quick-Trim-Case-Trimmer-90437-Quick-Trim-Die-308-Win-90231-Bundle/162737964143?hash=item25e3f0446f:g:A5sAAOSwvD5Z~pwX

I really like this idea for trimming brass thoughts? or waste of money

Best way I've found so far, quick, fool-proof and easy.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Nov 2017, 12:27 am

...and so it begins.

I kind of disagree. I started with Lee Quick Trim and generally it's alright. Cheap, works, no issues - if you are going to stay on common calibers, it should do fine.

You do have to do it by feel and sound. You mess up a handful of cases, but you'll develop 'a feel for it'. It says you can adjust it, but I never had any luck with that. You may get some inconsistencies, depends how @#$% retentive you are, you may be happy (or not) with error margin.

If you are planning to get more guns in different calibers and more obscure calibers and wildcat calibers, than at some stage you won't be able to find a specific die for said obscure case. So you will need to get something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lyman-Universal-Case-Trimmer-7862000/332361405687?epid=1511021301&hash=item4d624894f7:g:ki0AAOSw3ONZpT9n

With this type of trimmer, you just make a master case once, and work from that. Lee Quick Trim is never quite the same.

If you do go with this type, pay attention to what pilots you get (should get entire set, it covers all calibers) and type of case clamp (left side, where case is fixed to the device). Lyman has the best one in my opinion. I have RCBS, plus Lee Quick Trim and Lyman (link above, picked it up second hand from reloading FB group) - my favourite. I also tweaked it with DIY adapter to use electric screwdriver, rather than a manual hand crank (N.B. you can buy separate power adapter for Lee Quick Trim, but it jams up the blade with shavings too much). Cranking this stuff for 100 cases gets old fast. And when you get tired or cramping hands, you will lose consistency in cutting/length.

Set you linked is $70. And say $20 per die. That means you will need to get 5 more calibers, until Lyman start making sense. It's not too hard to get to that number... And then there is die availability, this is why I got the lathe style cutter, because Lee doesn't make a trim die for one of my calibers.

If you get Quick Trim, it will do 95% of what you need at fraction of the (starting) cost.
If you get lathe type trimmer, it will do 100% of whatever you throw at it, but at almost triple the cost.

In hindsight, I should have started with Lyman, not Lee.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2017, 12:46 am

juststarting wrote:...and so it begins.

I kind of disagree. I started with Lee Quick Trim and generally it's alright. Cheap, works, no issues - if you are going to stay on common calibers, it should do fine.

You do have to do it by feel and sound. You mess up a handful of cases, but you'll develop 'a feel for it'. It says you can adjust it, but I never had any luck with that. You may get some inconsistencies, depends how @#$% retentive you are, you may be happy (or not) with error margin.

If you are planning to get more guns in different calibers and more obscure calibers and wildcat calibers, than at some stage you won't be able to find a specific die for said obscure case. So you will need to get something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lyman-Universal-Case-Trimmer-7862000/332361405687?epid=1511021301&hash=item4d624894f7:g:ki0AAOSw3ONZpT9n

With this type of trimmer, you just make a master case once, and work from that. Lee Quick Trim is never quite the same.

If you do go with this type, pay attention to what pilots you get (should get entire set, it covers all calibers) and type of case clamp (left side, where case is fixed to the device). Lyman has the best one in my opinion. I have RCBS, plus Lee Quick Trim and Lyman (link above, picked it up second hand from reloading FB group) - my favourite. I also tweaked it with DIY adapter to use electric screwdriver, rather than a manual hand crank (N.B. you can buy separate power adapter for Lee Quick Trim, but it jams up the blade with shavings too much). Cranking this stuff for 100 cases gets old fast. And when you get tired or cramping hands, you will lose consistency in cutting/length.

Set you linked is $70. And say $20 per die. That means you will need to get 5 more calibers, until Lyman start making sense. It's not too hard to get to that number... And then there is die availability, this is why I got the lathe style cutter, because Lee doesn't make a trim die for one of my calibers.

If you get Quick Trim, it will do 95% of what you need at fraction of the (starting) cost.
If you get lathe type trimmer, it will do 100% of whatever you throw at it, but at almost triple the cost.

In hindsight, I should have started with Lyman, not Lee.

I haven't messed up any cases at all, and I've put thousands through the QT dies. I can't even imagine how it could be possible to mess one up.

I have my RCBS Rotary Case Trimmer (basically the same as the Lyman) as well, and frankly it's a pain in the arse compared to the QT die, and so much slower. When I was a kid it was all I had so I used it, now there are better options.
Yes, a few calibers don't have trim dies so I do need to use other methods for those, but that comes with playing with odd cartridges.

My RCBS is the original model, like this one - https://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/2/0/rcbs-rotary-case-trimmer-2-09370-with-factory-box-nos-never-used-made-n-usa-194b9b1382e9999484f56a44382f6cc4.jpg
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Nov 2017, 1:04 am

Re: messing up - cutting one a bit more than all others...

QT is definitely faster, but I use an electric screwdriver instead of the handle on rotary. I drilled the handle pin out, tapped the hole and popped a bolt in there, so it's a lot faster than QT; and I can re-attach the handle if required. If you automate QT, you'll find that the blade jams up from time to time.

All in all, you said pretty much what I said though, no? You have both, you use both, you use rotary because Lee doesn't make a die for your 'just because' caliber :)

So it boils down to:
a. initial cost
a. personal preference
b. bigger picture, what and how many calibers you're going to be shooting long term

My preference is rotary over quick trim, it's faster and I find the results to be a lot more consistent.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2017, 1:14 am

juststarting wrote:All in all, you said pretty much what I said though, no? You have both, you use both, you use rotary because Lee doesn't make a die for your 'just because' caliber :)

Not quite, you said you actually prefer the lathe style over the QT, I'm saying the opposite :-)
I use other methods only when I can't use the QT.

With the QT I can run all my brass through it every time I load them so I know they're always exactly the same length, particularly useful if you have to crimp anything (like the .44 Magnum). Very, very quick way to do it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Nov 2017, 1:20 am

Yes, my preference is rotary.
I find that I no longer use QT.
So yeah, lol, the exact opposite, but that's preference.

With rotary, brass is always the same size, because you work of a template case that you make at the start. Particularly useful if you have to crimp anything (like the .44 Magnum). Very, very quick way to do it.

:drinks:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 19 Nov 2017, 1:59 am

Thanks for the feed back guys I went the lee way for now. I got the reload die for $15 off eBay and I purchased the Lee Value Trim Deluxe Cutter Assembly for $18 so I can be lazy and and take advantage of the automatic case chamfering. I also got the Lee 308 Winchester Ultimate Rifle 4-Die Set it worked out cheaper to buy set of 4 for the time being.

When it comes to prices for 308 brass, primers powders whats standard prices am I looking for or are prices all over the place and I should shop around when purchasing ?
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 19 Nov 2017, 6:58 pm

Zarrs wrote:

When it comes to prices for 308 brass, primers powders whats standard prices am I looking for or are prices all over the place and I should shop around when purchasing ?

Shop around for best prices.

Reloading is the first sign of a shooting addiction. :drinks:
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 19 Nov 2017, 7:04 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Zarrs wrote:

No, considering you need to reload because you shoot too much is the first sign. Buying reloading equipment is pretty much equivalent to handing out handjobs behind a dumpster to feed your heroin addiction. Casting however is when you know you've hit rock bottom.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 19 Nov 2017, 7:13 pm

juststarting wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:
Zarrs wrote:

No, considering you need to reload because you shoot too much is the first sign. Buying reloading equipment is pretty much equivalent to handing out handjobs behind a dumpster to feed your heroin addiction. Casting however is when you know you've hit rock bottom.

:D
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 27 Feb 2018, 8:12 am

colinbentley wrote:You should go on line and price things you need from overseas. It is usually less expensive even when you add in the shipping costs. Some things such as powder and primers of course can't be shipped., Many of the things I have purchased as I got more into reloading simply are not available in Australia.Don't rush into it, take your time and do the research.

Do you know any stores that ship to Aus? I've got my eye on the Hornady Classic Lock n Load kit, not really wanting to fork out $550-$650 from LGSs around here when they sell them for around $300 in the US.

Edit: All good, found a store selling them for $260 that does international shipping! Even with the postage and exchange rate, I'll still be saving over $100.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2018, 11:08 am

sungazer wrote:Its going to cost you around $460 -$480 + the possible gst which puts it at $500. Really it would be better to buy individual parts for that sort of money. A second hand press they don't really break or wear.

Not sure if they are any better than the Lee at about $255 anyway. Can anyone give an opinion on that?

I just got a press and dies. Then purchased as the needs arrived. Used home made scoops at first. Made some parts and bought some secondhand stuff.
I figure must buy, press, scales, dies & trimmer. The rest just make, easy peasy.

See the DIY thread.

And would only buy Lee dies now. Best bang for their buck.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 28 Feb 2018, 3:33 pm

sungazer wrote:While that may sound like a smart arse reply it could be right. It all depends on how much you shoot to where the crossover point will be to pay for the initial setup costs. Then also it depends on if you put any value to your time because if you do your going to be behind the breakeven line always.
probably the best you could do in just value of components would be $1.50

Or find a long time reloader who can sell you for cheaper than factory prices! lol
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Mar 2018, 8:43 am

Ended up getting the LEE single stage kit (can't remember the name of it). Have got a couple of .243 dies in the mail which will arrive next week.
Time to get ready to buy the three Ps (projectiles, primers, powder). Anyone in the Melb area have any store recommendations for the three Ps?
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2018, 12:53 pm

Centreway in Keillor. Always competitive prices.
S&B primers there are very cheap & seem OK.

I still have the trim die if you want it but shouldn't with a Lee Kit.

Have fun

PS. Hornady interlocks are cheap and cheerful.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Mar 2018, 3:16 pm

I'll check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure the kit came with a case trimmer. That's what the trim die is for right?
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2018, 3:18 pm

YoungBuck wrote:I'll check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure the kit came with a case trimmer. That's what the trim die is for right?

Yes, a very old one that you use with a file. You shouldn't need it if you got a kit.

What powder do you intend buying?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Mar 2018, 3:27 pm

I know bugger all about powders, except that there are fast, med and slow burners out there. From the research I've done I see a lot of good reviews about ADI powder, figured I'd try AR2208 first.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2018, 7:56 pm

2208 is a great all round powder. Anything from 222 to 45-70 I think. I use it for 30-06 and my 223.

2206H apears flexible too. But has the advantage of being able to produce "light" loads.
I had a look and both powders are listed for the 243.
As I've mentioned in the past if you load 80+gr bullets it's legal for fallow and hog deer if you decide to have a crack. Ask around but 90gr sounds the go to me.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition