Owning multiple pistols under NSW Firearms Act

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Owning multiple pistols under NSW Firearms Act

Post by Rider888 » 23 Nov 2017, 4:45 am

Is anyone able to shed some light as to why this paragraph is in the Firearms Act in relation to the 2nd 6 months of the PPL?

"you must not possess a centrefire and rimfire pistol at the same time - section 31(3C) of the Firearms Act 1996."

I dont understand it enough to know why it's an issue to say buy a 9mm Centerfire and also a .22 pistol Rimfire

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Firearms Act

Post by Trents57 » 23 Nov 2017, 7:03 am

In NSW in the second 6 months of your PPL you can possess 2 handguns. The main restriction is that you cannot own a centrefire and a rimfire, You can have 2 rimfire ; or 2 centrefire ; or an air Pistol and a rimfire ; or an air Pistol and a centrefire ; or a blackpowder with a rimfire or ; blackpowder and centrefire.
Trents57
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Nov 2017, 7:17 am

sungazer wrote:Because during the second six months you may only own one gun. It can be either a cetre fire or a rimfire. But as you are only allowed one it cannot be both.

Here is the writing that states you can own 2 pistols during your PPL;

During the second six months you may acquire no more than two pistols, any one of which is:
* A centrefire pistol, or
* A rimfire pistol with a calibre of no more than .22 inch, or
* An air pistol with a calibre of no more than .177 inch, or
* A black powder pistol.
However, you must not possess a centrefire and rimfire pistol at the same time - section 31(3C) of the Firearms Act
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Nov 2017, 8:00 am

Because they want to make it hard for us pistol shooters.

Nothing more and nothing less.

As you are new, you will discover that the legislation rarely makes sense, its been written buly people who have no idea about firearms and these same people generally hate firearms.

When you see something that makes no sense refer to the above paragraph :(
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Nov 2017, 8:05 am

Wylie27 wrote:Because they want to make it hard for us pistol shooters.

As you are new, you will discover that the legislation rarely makes sense, its been written buly people who have no idea about firearms and these same people generally hate firearms.

:o
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Nov 2017, 8:17 am

Such a shame. I was looking forward to buying my first 9mm and .22 pistols :(
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Nov 2017, 8:24 am

Yeah it sucks. Its stupid and makes no sense.

Luckily i didnt have to go through the PPL process last year. I got to go straight to my full licence. Previously held a cat h. So the far gave me dispensation. Just had to join a club and go through the training
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 23 Nov 2017, 9:10 am

Wylie27 wrote:Because they want to make it hard for us pistol shooters.

Dead right!!! Trying to make sense of firearms legislation/regulations will just give ya a bad headache!!! :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Owning multiple pistols under NSW Firearms Act

Post by Wobble » 28 Nov 2017, 8:16 am

Rider888 wrote:Is anyone able to shed some light as to why this paragraph is in the Firearms Act in relation to the 2nd 6 months of the PPL?

"you must not possess a centrefire and rimfire pistol at the same time - section 31(3C) of the Firearms Act 1996."

You need to read the whole sections of the act when you want to know something, mate. Taking one line out of context isn't going to give you the right answer.

I don't know where you got that particular quote from either actually, as that's not what it says in the act, unless you were paraphrasing?

This is quoted from section 31 of the NSW Act.

(3B)In the case of a person who is the holder of a probationary pistol licence, and without limiting subsections (3) and (3A), the Commissioner:

(a)during the initial probationary period referred to in section 16A (2)—must not issue a permit authorising the person to acquire any kind of pistol, and

(b)during the remainder of the term of the licence—may only issue a total of 2 permits authorising the person to acquire no more than 2 pistols, any one of which (subject to subsection (3C)) is:

(i) a centrefire pistol, or
(ii) a rimfire pistol with a calibre of no more than .22 inch, or
(iii) an air pistol with a calibre of no more than .177 inch, or
(iv) a black powder pistol.

(3C) However, nothing in subsection (3B) (b) authorises the holder of a probationary pistol licence to possess a centrefire pistol and a rimfire pistol at the same time.

Gotta read the whole thing (as convoluted as it can sometimes be).
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bullzeye » 28 Nov 2017, 11:28 am

This section of the legislation doesn't make much sense to LAFOs. It would be good if the FAR could explain.

You just have to wait till you are on your full Cat H then you can buy whatever combination of calibre you wish.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 28 Nov 2017, 12:35 pm

OR and its a big OR you could buy a 9mm and then get a conversion kit that lets you to fire .22 for economy used to be you did not need a pta for conversion kit but once you add it to the 9mm frame the 22 kit you have a .22 that,s not registered best bet wait 6 months
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 02 Dec 2017, 5:17 am

Wobble... That is exactly right. What you have posted also clearly states that you are not permitted to own a centerfires and rimfire pistol at the same time while on PPL.

Wobble wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Is anyone able to shed some light as to why this paragraph is in the Firearms Act in relation to the 2nd 6 months of the PPL?

You need to read the whole sections of the act when you want to know something, mate. Taking one line out of context isn't going to give you the right answer.

I don't know where you got that particular quote from either actually, as that's not what it says in the act, unless you were paraphrasing?

This is quoted from section 31 of the NSW Act.

(3B)In the case of a person who is the holder of a probationary pistol licence, and without limiting subsections (3) and (3A), the Commissioner:

(a)during the initial probationary period referred to in section 16A (2)—must not issue a permit authorising the person to acquire any kind of pistol, and

(b)during the remainder of the term of the licence—may only issue a total of 2 permits authorising the person to acquire no more than 2 pistols, any one of which (subject to subsection (3C)) is:

(i) a centrefire pistol, or
(ii) a rimfire pistol with a calibre of no more than .22 inch, or
(iii) an air pistol with a calibre of no more than .177 inch, or
(iv) a black powder pistol.

(3C) However, nothing in subsection (3B) (b) authorises the holder of a probationary pistol licence to possess a centrefire pistol and a rimfire pistol at the same time.

Gotta read the whole thing (as convoluted as it can sometimes be).
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Dec 2017, 10:36 am

pomemax wrote:OR and its a big OR you could buy a 9mm and then get a conversion kit that lets you to fire .22 for economy used to be you did not need a pta for conversion kit but once you add it to the 9mm frame the 22 kit you have a .22 that,s not registered best bet wait 6 months

Yeah but nah....Once you fit the 22LR conversion to the receiver you are guilty of being in possession of a prohibited firearm UNLESS the conversion is listed on the registration paper. Once fully licensed then the conversion, if properly noted on the registration is an economical way to acquire a rimfire.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 07 Dec 2017, 8:26 pm

A centrefire with a 22 conversion kit is fine. You just need the serial number of the second barrel on the rego papers.
While you need a PTA for the orginal centrefire, you do not need one for the conversion kit (in NSW).

Note that in this case you do not have a centrefire and a rimfire. You have a centrefire with 2 barrels.
No laws broken and you only have participation requirements for a centrefire.

The NSW laws are a bad interpretation of the NFA.
However, we should let it lie as it lets us have 2 centrefires in the second 6 months, something that is not allowed in most states.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 Dec 2017, 11:13 pm

bigM wrote:A centrefire with a 22 conversion kit is fine. You just need the serial number of the second barrel on the rego papers.
While you need a PTA for the orginal centrefire, you do not need one for the conversion kit (in NSW).

Note that in this case you do not have a centrefire and a rimfire. You have a centrefire with 2 barrels.
No laws broken and you only have participation requirements for a centrefire.

The NSW laws are a bad interpretation of the NFA.
However, we should let it lie as it lets us have 2 centrefires in the second 6 months, something that is not allowed in most states.

You're not wrong about it being a bad interpretation. OP is in his first 6 month so his CF pistol will be a H9 Rego and if he tries adding a H8 barrel to a H9 rego then it's gets really fuzzy. I'll put the question to my contact in the registry next time I'm talking to her and see what they suggest. Technically if he only has the 1 pistol in 9mm with a 22LR conversion then he'll have either a CF or a RF and not both which s compliant to the rule. If he has 2 CF pistols and fits the RF conversion to 1 then he's in breach. The 6 months passes quick and allows time to save for the next pistol :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Robert Marshall » 29 Apr 2021, 8:02 pm

I ask the same question and I did some research and found the answer as to why one cannot possess a rimfire and centrefire in the 2nd 6 months of a probationary period. Go to the Firearms Amendment (Prohibited Pistols) Bill 2003. This is purportedly where the amendment came in. The first line reads as follows "The object of this Bill is to reduce the number of pistols in the community and to strengthen controls over access to pistols that are used for the purposes of sport/target shooting." See the following link: https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/view ... 557ff91ec7
Robert Marshall
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tb65 » 30 Apr 2021, 2:53 pm

Robert Marshall wrote:I ask the same question and I did some research and found the answer as to why one cannot possess a rimfire and centrefire in the 2nd 6 months of a probationary period. Go to the Firearms Amendment (Prohibited Pistols) Bill 2003. This is purportedly where the amendment came in. The first line reads as follows "The object of this Bill is to reduce the number of pistols in the community and to strengthen controls over access to pistols that are used for the purposes of sport/target shooting." See the following link: https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/view ... 557ff91ec7

Well it certainly achieves that, albeit for just a 6-month period.

I'm just into my 2nd six months of a PPL and I decided to buy a centrefire pistol. I probably would've also bought myself a Mark IV Ruger had it not been for the rules but since the club only has 22LRs for member use, that made the decision easy.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws