Old rifle stock oil removal

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Old rifle stock oil removal

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Oct 2017, 8:09 pm

I'm doing an old 25-303 sporter stock up for my son and was wondering what would remove gun oil from the stock
The stock is completely soaked in oil and I want to remove as much as I can so the paint will stick
Any help will be appreciated :thumbsup:

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Re: Old rifle stock oil removal

Post by MalleeFarmer » 22 Oct 2017, 8:57 pm

I did a mid 70s M98 mauser i think i used heat to try and get the oil to rise to the surface of the timber but only partially effective. It will be hard considering the age and how porous timber is its likely got oil a long way down in the timber.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Oct 2017, 8:58 pm

what I have done in the past with stocks that keep bleeding oil out is to wash the effected area of the stock with degreaser and steam the stock with a very hot wet rag and the mr's iron, I got caught though and had to buy her a new one :lol:
no sense of humour :lol:
job worked but I don't think I would leave the stock soaking in degreaser for long periods
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 22 Oct 2017, 9:15 pm

Use Bam Easyoff oven cleaner. It sucks oil out wood like you wouldn't believe!
Wash off with running water and steel wool. Repeat if needed.
Refinish with your chosen stock treatment. I've used the Bircheood Casey Truoil method very successfuly.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 22 Oct 2017, 10:22 pm

+1 on bam oven cleaner. And no it doesn't hurt the wood. I suggest you buy a roll of paper towel to wipe off the excess then clean with water. Works better if the wood is warm. Leave it in the sun. It is messy, a lot of oil and stain will come out. Use the whole can in two or three applications. Let the wood dry between applications, dont let the wood stay wet for long.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Oct 2017, 10:23 pm

grandadbushy wrote:The stock is completely soaked in oil and I want to remove as much as I can so the paint will stick

PAINT ????????? :shock: :wtf:

What are you doing Granddad ????

I re did the stock on my Tikka that is brand new and unfired (pics were posted at the time)
The stock itself was hand picked from Beretta Aust.

Dunno what the factory used but I had to do it 3 times,,
rubbing back to bare wood each time,, wiping down with degreaser,, and several days of air drying each time.

Every time I started doing the Tru Oil,,, it came up like as if there was wax impregnated in random spots.

Finally on the 4th attempt it came up pretty good.

Hopefully in your case it doesn't become quite so involved. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Oct 2017, 11:18 pm

Yeah DJ he wants to paint it camo the stock was in bad shape it sat at the back of a shed that had part of the roof missing
the only thing that kept the stock was the oil in it :unknown:
he just wants to do a camo on it until he gets the time to do it up completely and then I think he'll put a newie on it but that
could be a couple of years :unknown:
The stock is too far gone to put it back to its glory the top layer can be scratched off by finger nail but below that it's solid
that's why he decided to sand it back and deoil it and paint it :thumbsup:
The BAM sounds like it could work i'll see if I can get some of that and give it a go
Sounds like some good info in the posts on here so if I can i'll try them all sounds like heat will bring the oil to the surface :D

Thanks everybody I will endeavour to remove it with the info :thumbsup:

THANKS
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Oct 2017, 11:30 pm

grandadbushy wrote: sounds like heat will bring the oil to the surface :D

Hee Hee Hee :lol: ,,,,, Not too much heat or else it could combust,,,,,, "ashes to ashes,,,,,," :o :shock: :wtf: :oops: :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Oct 2017, 1:19 am

Yeah NAH mate just just warm no heat high enough to combust although it might be doing me a favour :lol:
If it was ashes at least all the oil would be gone :lol:
I'll just try all what you blokes have said or at least as much as I can and that'll do not wasting too much time and money on it :unknown:
It will only ever be a plinker it has had a hard life not even sure how it shoots although the bore looks ok anyway we'll see :D

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by straightshooter » 23 Oct 2017, 7:25 am

grandadbushy wrote:I'm doing an old 25-303 sporter stock up for my son and was wondering what would remove gun oil from the stock
The stock is completely soaked in oil and I want to remove as much as I can so the paint will stick

CHEERS

I have a similar problem.
I tried many things such as washing with kero and then tried lacquer thinners but the oil keeps on oozing out.
I have done some research and the way it was done with oil soaked military stocks years ago was to make up a paste out of TSP (trisodium phosphate?) apply it to the stock and leave it to dry. The dry TSP then draws out the oil. You keep repeating until no more oil is drawn out.
Apparently TSP was commonly used by the painting trade once upon a time but I am unable to find any supplier.
Maybe somebody else might have better luck.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Tripod » 23 Oct 2017, 8:52 am

I have done military stocks by capping the ends of a piece of guttering filling it with water and sit it on gas burners and boiling the oil out.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Dunxy » 24 Oct 2017, 11:17 am

Steel wool,turp's and elbow grease!

Worked wonders on my m96(one day i will post pics..) I did recently,got the idea from gunsmiths.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 24 Oct 2017, 7:36 pm

straightshooter wrote:
grandadbushy wrote:I'm doing an old 25-303 sporter stock up for my son and was wondering what would remove gun oil from the stock

CHEERS

I have a similar problem.
I tried many things such as washing with kero and then tried lacquer thinners but the oil keeps on oozing out.
I have done some research and the way it was done with oil soaked military stocks years ago was to make up a paste out of TSP (trisodium phosphate?) apply it to the stock and leave it to dry. The dry TSP then draws out the oil. You keep repeating until no more oil is drawn out.
Apparently TSP was commonly used by the painting trade once upon a time but I am unable to find any supplier.
Maybe somebody else might have better luck.

Straightshooter

Try Bunnings, Tricleanium (Trisodium Phosphate TSP) Good stuff :thumbsup: I know a bloke that uses it to clean beer lines etc :drinks:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/cleaner-all ... m_p1670021

Material Safety Data Sheet
https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b9624 ... 52aec6.pdf

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Oct 2017, 7:58 pm

Thanks Darwindingo sounds good I'll check it out and see what's involved :thumbsup:
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Varmtr » 02 Dec 2017, 8:08 am

I have used either acetone or hexane, both are solvents. When soaking the stock these will leach out the oil, when drying place the timber in a dark cool area and let the solvent evap away slowly.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment