MSRC SSAA National Lever Action Silhouette Championships

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

MSRC SSAA National Lever Action Silhouette Championships

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2017, 4:59 pm

Okay, I'm thinking it might be possible to get to the lever action silhouette comp at Little River the first week in May.
I've emailed the club secretary for entry forms and details but thought discussing it here might also be helpful for anybody else interested.
I've never even watched a metallic silhouette shoot and haven't shot a rifle comp since 1983 when I was part of Wesley College ARMY Cadet small-bore team. If I do manage to make it happen I'd most likely go up in the bus and just live there for the duration of the event. So, I'd prefer to do as many events as possible while I'm there. Getting as much range time as possible in addition to the comp shoots would also be a bonus.

From what I've managed to work out so far it looks like there are three disciplines and I should be allowed to enter all three:
CLAS - 40rds, 200m, no scope, full-size MS target. (would likely buy a .30-30 or .45/70 for this)
Pistol Cartridge CLAS - 40rds, 100m, no scope, half-size 10mm MS target. (Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum)
Smallbore CLAS - .22LR, 40rds, 100m, no scope, half-size MS target but thinner. (Norinco JW21)

Targets are confusing me though.
In the RMS Rulebook it lists three types of MS target:
"Centrefire" Targets are full-size (taken from the templates).
"Rimfire" Targets are one-fifth full-size targets.
"Air Rifle" Targets are one-tenth full-size targets.

I've been practicing with standard Rimfire MS one-fifth scale silhouettes at 40m, 60m, 77m and 100m.
This CLAS "Smallbore" competition appears to use thinner half-size silhouettes - 5mm ram, 7mm turkey/pig and 10mm chicken - is this correct? A 13" high by 16" wide ram at 100m?
Attachments
CLAS Rules 1.JPG
CLAS Rules 1.JPG (78.28 KiB) Viewed 11342 times
CLAS Rules 2.JPG
CLAS Rules 2.JPG (123.89 KiB) Viewed 11342 times
CLAS Rules 3.JPG
CLAS Rules 3.JPG (123.03 KiB) Viewed 11342 times
CLAS Rules 4.JPG
CLAS Rules 4.JPG (92.54 KiB) Viewed 11342 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: MSRC SSAA NATIONAL LEVER ACTION SILHOUETTE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by Strikey » 03 Dec 2017, 5:25 pm

I shoot rifle silhouette with air, rimfire and centrefire, lever action is a bit different, only shot it twice using my 94 30/30. The class I shot in used the full size silhouettes and surprisingly my full house pig loads in the 30/30 with 150grn projectiles just knocks the rams over at 200, mostly they rocked and fell forward but if they're down it scores, maybe Gamerancher might chime in with a bit more info as I'm sure he shoots lever action along with his blackpowder :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

Strikey wrote:I shoot rifle silhouette with air, rimfire and centrefire, lever action is a bit different, only shot it twice using my 94 30/30. The class I shot in used the full size silhouettes and surprisingly my full house pig loads in the 30/30 with 150grn projectiles just knocks the rams over at 200, mostly they rocked and fell forward but if they're down it scores, maybe Gamerancher might chime in with a bit more info as I'm sure he shoots lever action along with his blackpowder :thumbsup:

Thanks Strikey, that is interesting. Maybe a .45/70 is the go then and just work loads down to what is required. My shoulder hurts just thinking about shooting forty rounds of .45/70 :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by groundhog » 03 Dec 2017, 10:20 pm

Hi Bladeracer

The course of fire for this Nationals will be as follows:

80 shots CLAS Rifle (Rams at 200m, Turkeys at 150m, Pigs at 100m and chickens at 50m) Targets used are full size.
I am not 100% but I am pretty certain this match is happening on the Friday.
80 CLAS Pistol Cartridge (Rams at 100m, Turkeys at 75m, Pigs at 50m and Chickens at 40m) Targets used are half sized 10mm Bisalloy. This match will be on the Saturday.
CLAS Small-bore (Rams at 100m, Turkeys at 75m, Pigs at 50m and Chickens at 40m) Targets used are half sized but are mild steel of varying thickness. This will be on the Sunday.

The Monday will be designated as an overrun day if needed.
If you haven’t shot the matches before you will enter as an ungraded competitor and your scores in the matches (specifically the highest of your 2 -40 shot matches) for each class.
As for rifles, for the rifle match a30-30, 45-70 or 44 Mag are all used successfully others used include 38-55, 35 Remington, 308 Marlin express, 338 Marlin express even 357 Mag to name a few, I personally run a 30-30 using Sierra 130 grain JHP with 32 grains of 2206h on targets out to Turkeys then use 150 grain JRN sierras on rams with the same powder charge and they don’t stand when hit.
For pistol the 44 is a good choice but be mindful that you don’t need a full strength load to take down the targets, a 22 Mag will successfully compete in pistol cal and one of our most successful competitors runs a 25-20 with 63 grain pills so you can keep recoil under control and still compete.

As for smallbore HV ammo is the way to go Federal Auto match is popular.

When it comes to ammo I usually load about 120 rounds for rifle each for myself and the missus, both of us run 30-30’s. I load about 200 rounds for each of our pistol cartridge rifles in case we have to double up, and finally just grab a box of rimfire.
In your case you have a backup available for everything except Smallbore as the 44 will work for rifle and in a pinch you can use a 22LR for pistol cal but it may stand rams.

Hope the info helps, hope to see you there.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2017, 10:50 pm

groundhog wrote:Hi Bladeracer

The course of fire for this Nationals will be as follows:

80 shots CLAS Rifle (Rams at 200m, Turkeys at 150m, Pigs at 100m and chickens at 50m) Targets used are full size.
I am not 100% but I am pretty certain this match is happening on the Friday.
80 CLAS Pistol Cartridge (Rams at 100m, Turkeys at 75m, Pigs at 50m and Chickens at 40m) Targets used are half sized 10mm Bisalloy. This match will be on the Saturday.
CLAS Small-bore (Rams at 100m, Turkeys at 75m, Pigs at 50m and Chickens at 40m) Targets used are half sized but are mild steel of varying thickness. This will be on the Sunday.

The Monday will be designated as an overrun day if needed.
If you haven’t shot the matches before you will enter as an ungraded competitor and your scores in the matches (specifically the highest of your 2 -40 shot matches) for each class.
As for rifles, for the rifle match a30-30, 45-70 or 44 Mag are all used successfully others used include 38-55, 35 Remington, 308 Marlin express, 338 Marlin express even 357 Mag to name a few, I personally run a 30-30 using Sierra 130 grain JHP with 32 grains of 2206h on targets out to Turkeys then use 150 grain JRN sierras on rams with the same powder charge and they don’t stand when hit.
For pistol the 44 is a good choice but be mindful that you don’t need a full strength load to take down the targets, a 22 Mag will successfully compete in pistol cal and one of our most successful competitors runs a 25-20 with 63 grain pills so you can keep recoil under control and still compete.

As for smallbore HV ammo is the way to go Federal Auto match is popular.

When it comes to ammo I usually load about 120 rounds for rifle each for myself and the missus, both of us run 30-30’s. I load about 200 rounds for each of our pistol cartridge rifles in case we have to double up, and finally just grab a box of rimfire.
In your case you have a backup available for everything except Smallbore as the 44 will work for rifle and in a pinch you can use a 22LR for pistol cal but it may stand rams.

Hope the info helps, hope to see you there.

Great info Groundhog :-)
So I can enter both the CLAS and the Pistol Cartridge CLAS with the .44 Magnum?
That's mint, although it doesn't leave me an excuse to get the .45/70 - I shall have to think of another.
My current .44 Magnum load is a 240gn JHP at 1250fps is mild enough to shoot all day. I will have to put some time into building a load for accuracy though.
How many shooters normally attend?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by groundhog » 04 Dec 2017, 6:53 am

The record for a CLAS nationals was somewhere around 70 at Rankins Springs a few years back, usually it is around 50-60.

With regards to the 44 it will certainly work in both. As discussed in a previous thread the rams are set just forward of their topple point, meaning that unless there is wind rocking the targets, if you hit a target that is rocking forwards obviously it is that much harder to knock over, so the 44 will take all of the targets. The only thing to test is the accuracy of the load out to 200m as sometimes you can find that the round slows too much and starts to yaw leading to keyholes through paper.
But once that is no longer an issue you have a good dual match rifle in a 44.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Dec 2017, 9:39 am

With regards the .45-70 for the rifle class, yeah, go on, get one, you know you want to. Listen to those voices in your head. :twisted: :lol:

I used a Marlin Cowboy in .45-70 for it a few years ago, great rifle, very accurate, it's just that me and Marlins don't get on. :unknown:

Sold it to a mate who used it to get into selection for the Australian team. He is still using the same reduced loads that I used in it. :thumbsup:

As for the .44mag, yes it will do for both pistol caliber and rifle classes. As Groundhog says, just get a load that will hold up at 200m. We are not talking benchrest here, "minute of ram" is what is needed. Remember, this is shot offhand, unsupported. The accuracy is all in your hands, pun intended. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Dec 2017, 9:57 am

With regards camping, most of us set up camp at the range for the duration of the event. It is a three gun, three day event plus there will be a "practice" day on the Thursday. Your entry fees for the event cover all days at the range. There is usually a small fee to cover camping.
The rules allow for ungraded shooters to attend, you will earn your grade at the shoot. In the end you will be competing against shooters of similar ability for grade medals as well as overall. It would help you immensely if you could attend any silhouette shoot sometime beforehand, just to become familiar with the format and see how things work. I would suggest that you contact Mark on 0409 135740 or reltub@alphalink.com.au to see if there is a club shoot that you might be able to attend.

There is a good match on, ( albeit scoped ), at Majura ACT 20-21 January that you and your brother would be more than welcome to attend, that goes for anyone who might be interested. Don't be shy, if you have any interest in silhouette, we don't bite. It is always good to have fresh blood at the shoots........ :lol: :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 04 Dec 2017, 7:35 pm

Gamerancher wrote:With regards camping, most of us set up camp at the range for the duration of the event. It is a three gun, three day event plus there will be a "practice" day on the Thursday. Your entry fees for the event cover all days at the range. There is usually a small fee to cover camping.
The rules allow for ungraded shooters to attend, you will earn your grade at the shoot. In the end you will be competing against shooters of similar ability for grade medals as well as overall. It would help you immensely if you could attend any silhouette shoot sometime beforehand, just to become familiar with the format and see how things work. I would suggest that you contact Mark on 0409 135740 or reltub@alphalink.com.au to see if there is a club shoot that you might be able to attend.

There is a good match on, ( albeit scoped ), at Majura ACT 20-21 January that you and your brother would be more than welcome to attend, that goes for anyone who might be interested. Don't be shy, if you have any interest in silhouette, we don't bite. It is always good to have fresh blood at the shoots........ :lol: :drinks:

Are Queenslanders allowed to attend this match at Majura???? You know we're not shy :sarcasm: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Dec 2017, 9:28 am

Ex-NSWelshmen, who now have webbed feet from all the floods they live through in Qld, are always welcome, you know that Strikey. :drinks: :friends:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Dec 2017, 2:43 pm

I sent three emails to addresses from SSAA, metallic silhouette and Eagle Park and had no response.
Does anybody know who the people are that would be running the event?
I'd like to be able to contact somebody to get some entry forms.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Dec 2017, 5:17 pm

Mark, the bloke who is running it as a volunteer, works full-time and not in an office. There is no official entry form, just send him an e-mail at the above link. He'll put your name down. He's put pretty much all of the details in the ad in the Shooters Journal. He's asked for e-mail nominations, just let him know your intention to attend and in what events, if you are ungraded, list that. One thing I will say is that since this is a recognized discipline, you have to be a SSAA member to compete.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Dec 2017, 5:54 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Mark, the bloke who is running it as a volunteer, works full-time and not in an office. There is no official entry form, just send him an e-mail at the above link. He'll put your name down. He's put pretty much all of the details in the ad in the Shooters Journal. He's asked for e-mail nominations, just let him know your intention to attend and in what events, if you are ungraded, list that. One thing I will say is that since this is a recognized discipline, you have to be a SSAA member to compete.

Is this "Shooter's Journal" the SSAA magazine we get every month?
I've never opened them but I'll have a look when I'm back at the house.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Dec 2017, 7:31 am

Yes, you'll find the information in the competitions section.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by groundhog » 19 Dec 2017, 9:50 am

Hi Bladeracer

This is the link to the competitions page of the SSAA website for the Cowboy Nationals.

https://ssaa.org.au/disciplines/discipl ... mpionships
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Dec 2017, 3:23 pm

groundhog wrote:Hi Bladeracer

This is the link to the competitions page of the SSAA website for the Cowboy Nationals.

https://ssaa.org.au/disciplines/discipl ... mpionships

Thanks GroundHog :-)
How come I couldn't find that page when I searched the site for this bloody event :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2018, 7:00 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Mark, the bloke who is running it as a volunteer, works full-time and not in an office. There is no official entry form, just send him an e-mail at the above link. He'll put your name down. He's put pretty much all of the details in the ad in the Shooters Journal. He's asked for e-mail nominations, just let him know your intention to attend and in what events, if you are ungraded, list that. One thing I will say is that since this is a recognized discipline, you have to be a SSAA member to compete.

I emailed Mark, he responding asking me to call him as he doesn't like typing :-)
I prefer to have stuff in writing but I'll try to get around to calling him some time.

I have a set of half-size silhouette's now, one of each, but not sure I'll be able to start practicing until my left arm and ribs feel a bit better. My last practice on the one-fifth size rimfire targets I fired ten rounds at each and scored one hit on each :-)
Attachments
020120183022.jpg
020120183022.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 11047 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 Jan 2018, 8:37 am

this is a interesting shooting class guys. in your experience does 357 have enough pop for this class of shooting ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by groundhog » 03 Jan 2018, 11:55 am

bigrich wrote:this is a interesting shooting class guys. in your experience does 357 have enough pop for this class of shooting ?

Hi bigrich

The .357 can be used fairly successfully for both rifle and pistol classes in CLAS. Your pistol load out to 100m can be practically anything, personally if I use my .357 I run 120grain Cast in front of 7.2gns or AP-70N. This load will also work for the rifle match out to the 150m turkeys but it will simply ring the rams for them you need to step up to a heavier pill, 180 grain cast are popular with those who use them for rifle - just watch for keyholing.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by groundhog » 03 Jan 2018, 12:11 pm

[attachment=0
bladeracer wrote:I have a set of half-size silhouette's now, one of each, but not sure I'll be able to start practicing until my left arm and ribs feel a bit better. My last practice on the one-fifth size rimfire targets I fired ten rounds at each and scored one hit on each :-)

Not a bad set of targets there bladeracer except for a small issue with your chicken and turkey. The feet have been welded on in the wrong spot. I have attached the image for where the feet are supposed to go.
Target Weld.JPG
Target Weld.JPG (29.33 KiB) Viewed 9736 times
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2018, 7:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:I have a set of half-size silhouette's now, one of each...

If anybody is interested I paid A$320 delivered from the US for the set.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2sc-IHMSA-NRA-Metallic-Silhouette-Targets-4pc-AR500-Steel-Rifle-Knock-overs/261052417780
Took eighteen days despite being Christmas.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2018, 7:51 pm

groundhog wrote:Not a bad set of targets there bladeracer except for a small issue with your chicken and turkey. The feet have been welded on in the wrong spot. I have attached the image for where the feet are supposed to go.
Target Weld.JPG

Thanks Groundhog :-)
I don't expect it to make much difference with 240gn bullets but I might take a few minutes to cut and weld them to suit.

Most of my practice is at tracings of the silhouettes on paper so I can recover the bullets. I really just need these to confirm knock-down levels.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2018, 5:07 pm

I just went and had a practice at these half-size targets, except I shot the pig at 60m not 50m.
So much easier after practicing on the one-fifth scale targets!
I fired fifteen at each target at 40m, 60m, 75m and thirty rounds at 100m getting 8, 6, 5 and 17 hits.
Then I fired fifteen at 100m off the bench to see where they're hitting. Holding about half his height over the ram's back puts the bullets into his left half. I aimed at the feet of the chicken and dead on the pig and turkey.
Then I fired a group of ten off the bench just to see how I'm grouping with the peep sight and dropped them into about a six-inch circle at 105m.

The body is still a bit tender for shooting the .44 I think so I'll just play with the .22 for a while.

I think I'll have to make a smaller aperture for the rear sight and possibly a new front sight and ramp. The ramp encroaches into the sight picture which I think detracts from accuracy. I still need to organise a peep for the Marlin.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 6:08 pm

Put another 165rds on (mostly around) these steels this arvo.
I think the pig must be shot at 60m, 50m is too easy.
I tried some Golden Bullets first on the ram at 40m just for giggles. It took four to realise they were shooting quite high and then eleven hits in a row to empty the mag.
Then I burned a box of Highland Target on the chicken at 40m for 29 hits out of 50rds - I still don't know exactly where they zero. The hollow point tends to catch entering the chamber so they're not much fun in the lever.
Then 30rds of CCI SV on the pig at 50m for 25 hits - too easy I think.
Then 45rds on the Turkey at 75m for 16 hits. This is definitely the hardest as it's completely hidden behind the front sight blade.
And I finished off with 40rds on the ram at 100m as this one requires a hold over - 19 hits although I seemed to fall into a rut midway through that made me think the sights must've moved. I think it was just me though :-)

I had an idea that maybe I could use high-velocity ammo for the ram to avoid having to hold over. It's going to take some testing to see if that's feasible.

Pretty good fun all round :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jan 2018, 11:45 am

The pig is always thought to be the "easiest" target. The correct distance is 50m for the 1/2 sized targets used in small-bore and pistol caliber.
When practicing, it is good to get into the habit of following match rules. Only load 5 rounds. Fire them in the 2 minute time allowed. Stand down, have a break. Then repeat. It is not much use practicing by firing off a whole magazine full at a time, it just creates bad habits. Slow down and take each shot with care and as if it is the only shot you get, make it count. This will develop good habits. Concentrate on sight picture and trigger control, improving on these two things alone do much to increase your ability to hit targets.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2018, 4:51 pm

Gamerancher wrote:The pig is always thought to be the "easiest" target. The correct distance is 50m for the 1/2 sized targets used in small-bore and pistol caliber.
When practicing, it is good to get into the habit of following match rules. Only load 5 rounds. Fire them in the 2 minute time allowed. Stand down, have a break. Then repeat. It is not much use practicing by firing off a whole magazine full at a time, it just creates bad habits. Slow down and take each shot with care and as if it is the only shot you get, make it count. This will develop good habits. Concentrate on sight picture and trigger control, improving on these two things alone do much to increase your ability to hit targets.

Wow, I think I'll be hitting the pig 100% pretty soon then :-)
Only five rounds in the tube? I thought these things were shot in strings of ten.
And in two minutes?
That's at least an hour to fire 150rds.
All I'm doing is walking out and shooting two or three 15rd tubes from each firing point, only takes fifteen minutes to have a practice so I hope I can manage it at least once every day.

I'm concentrating on the sight picture primarily but I need to improve the sights. Even off the bench at 100m I'm only making roughly 150mm groups. With the scope the rifle is capable of pretty consistent 40mm groups at 50m and 100mm groups at 100m so I'm sure I can tighten it up a bit more with the peep sight. The front sight is sort of "furry" and too big I think, it completely conceals the turkey. And it is mounted on a ramp which intrudes into the aperture so my sight picture is flattened off across the bottom. I'm going to reduce the aperture first and if that doesn't help I'll have to make a new front sight or modify the ramp.

My breathing and trigger control have improved the most I think and I try to call every shot at the break. If I can fire when the sight post is in the right spot I'm fairly sure it'll be a hit. The trigger is not great but it's not bad. Pretty good feel and a reasonably crisp break, though quite heavy. I stripped the rifle to clean all the junk out of the action and all the parts are very poorly finished, even where they move against each other. I think I need to do some polishing and clean up all the flash and dags.

I intended to use Eley Edge for the actual comp but the CCI SV is accurate enough for practicing. The Eley will tighten up the groups as well. I want to try some supersonic stuff to see if I can find something that hits point of aim at 100m but still lets me shoot the subsonic CCI SV and Eley at 40m, 50m and 75m to point of aim.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2018, 7:49 pm

Another hundred rounds just now in heavy wind.
40m 12/30
50m 7/10
75m 9/30
100m 12/30

The turkey is by far the toughest!

It takes me a few shots to get my eye in on the chicken which skews the score a bit, I'll start on different ranges to even it out. I'm also wearing a very tightly-buckled plate carrier to support my ribs which may be a plus or a minus - I can't tell :-)

It also occurred to me that a neat tweak would be allowing the shooter to choose which target goes at which range.
Put the ram at 40m and get 10/10 on that and then have to try not to fall apart on the chicken at 100m :-)

If I can shoot a minimum 100rds every day until May that should hold me in good stead I think!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Jan 2018, 9:22 am

Targets are shot in banks of 5. 2 banks for your 10. In CLAS you will be called to the line, where you bring your rifle etc up to your position and put it down, no further handling of firearms. You will then get a 30 sec "ready" call, you may now load 5 rounds, adjust your sights etc. A "fire" command will be given and you have 2 minutes to fire your five shots. A "cease-fire" command will then be given, you clear your action and place you gun down on the bench. A second set of the same commands then follows for your next bank of 5 targets. All up you will be on the line for about 6 minutes per 10 "animals". Depending on the number of shooters and banks of targets, there will be a number of "details" to get all of the shooters through the match. You won't necessarily start at chickens, each shooter is allocated a starting position/ animal so that all positions are filled. You will rotate through the positions / animals throughout the day so that at the end you will have completed the full match / matches. (40 or 80 shots )
At large events such as the Nationals, there can be 4 or more details, so you spend some time away from the line. Most folks will spot for at least one other shooter so you may be on the line at least 16 times a day. With target resetting plus shooting time it makes for a long day to get everyone through. Even though it doesn't sound like much shooting, trust me, after an 80 shot match, you will be tired. It is very hard work to stand still for 80 shots. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2018, 7:23 pm

I traced out some paper silhouettes to see where my groups are hitting but it occurred to me that that'll probably change depending on which way the silhouettes are facing?
I found some video online of Aussie silhouette and it appears to be five facing right and five facing left.

These were all aimed dead on centre mass as I wanted to see elevation and windage so I can make a sight adjustment to suit.
Quite a useful practice I think.
I'll cut out some more tonight including the ram. Two of each facing in opposite directions to see how the shape affects my point of aim.Today's effort on the steels were 6/15 on the chicken, 12/15 on the pig, 9/30 on the turkey and 18/45 on the ram.

The Norinco really started playing up this time. Of 150rds I think about a dozen fell off the loading ramp and one was even ejected along with the empty case. About forty cases failed to eject preferring to stay in the action. And about five cases failed to extract fully. At 1235rds I think it's time to give it a thorough clean :-)
Attachments
WA Silhouette.JPG
WA Silhouette.JPG (145.07 KiB) Viewed 9731 times
Chicken 40m RHS.jpg
Chicken 40m RHS.jpg (866 KiB) Viewed 9731 times
Pig 50m LHS.jpg
Pig 50m LHS.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 9731 times
Turkey 75m LHS.jpg
Turkey 75m LHS.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 9731 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Jan 2018, 7:26 am

Yep, 5 each way is the usual way it is done. If you are having trouble with the front sight covering the animal, adjust for a lower hold. Say, aim the leg of the turkey and have the bullet printing centre mass. In pistol silhouette matches it is usual to hold "rail" with the target "standing" on the front post. Or, you could try a smaller post/bead if your eyesight is good enough.
Above all, it is best practice to get your sight settings off-hand. How your rifle shoots off a bench is not a good indication of how it will off-hand.
Your above groups also show a left of centre bias, that could be sight adjustment or a natural tendency of your follow through.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges