Cheapest reloading components SA

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Cheapest reloading components SA

Post by Roo farmer » 05 Dec 2017, 9:15 pm

Where is the cheapest gun shop in South Australia to buy primers, projeciles, powder, etc?

I've recently started pro roo shooting, to turn roo culling from an expense into a profit. I am looking to buy enough for 1000 or more, mostly for 223 rem, plus a few for 22-250 rem and 243 win.

I have bought a fair bit of gear from Adelaide Gun Shop in the past, but I am just wondering if there are cheaper places to go?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Cheapest reloading components SA

Post by Tripod » 06 Dec 2017, 8:09 pm

If you are interested in .52gr swaged hollow point projectiles in bulk send me a pm. :thumbsup:
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Dec 2017, 9:28 pm

Keep your eye out for bulk packs Sierra Super Roo. You'll probably have to order it in Adelaide though, every time I visit Adelaide the stores have "just sold the last box"
I settled for a 500 box of Hornady Z-Max last time.

I've found the 2 big gun shops in Adelaide to be pretty close to each other in price for components.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Dec 2017, 2:48 pm

I can only think that most shops are going to be very similar. Adelaide gunshop does seem to have pretty good prices for components when I've rung them,but I'd spend on fuel what I save on components so......
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 07 Dec 2017, 3:00 pm

Im in Vic and with a few other bits and pieces even by itself (with postage) it is cheaper than I could find anywhere else by more than $25
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2017, 3:39 pm

bigpete wrote:I can only think that most shops are going to be very similar. Adelaide gunshop does seem to have pretty good prices for components when I've rung them,but I'd spend on fuel what I save on components so......

I would think mail would be much handier than trying to drive around looking for some on the shelf.
Just order them and they come straight to your door.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Dec 2017, 8:49 pm

Depends. He might want to buy the entire lot in one swoop. As far as I know,you can't get powder or primers sent to your door
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2017, 9:02 pm

bigpete wrote:Depends. He might want to buy the entire lot in one swoop. As far as I know,you can't get powder or primers sent to your door

Primers yes, powders no.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 12 Dec 2017, 8:23 pm

Turns out the cheapest options are not in SA as usual. Primers and powder are a hassle to post as they need a dangerous goods certificate, so the simplest solution is buy locally. Prices don't vary a lot. None of the Adelaide shops keep 4kg bottles of powder, have to order in which takes up to 4 weeks.

Projeciles can be posted, the only hassle being that they are heavy.

Adelaide Gun Shop
Sierra 1365K super roo
Advertised price $249.95 per 1000
Quoted price $220 per 1000

Fisher Firearms
Sierra 1365K super roo
Quoted price $225 per 1000

C&S Sporting Arms
Sierra 1365K super roo not available
Nosler Shots 55 grain 22 cal
Quoted price $260 per 1000 or $1250 per 5000

Online website special prices from QLD
Sierra 1365K super roo $155 per 1000 plus $15 postage to SA
Hornady 55 grain 22 cal $679 per 6000 plus $50 postage to SA

How can it be, that I can get projectiles interstate and have them posted to my door, that much cheaper than the Adelaide shops can sell them?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Dec 2017, 8:43 pm

Powders can't be posted but primers can. If you know anybody with a firearms licence that travels interstate they can bring powder to you. You don't need a DG ticket to transport personal supplies of powders. Rebelgunworks have the best DG fees - $60.
Probably similar to why I can buy steel silhouette targets from the US for less than half what they cost here in Oz.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 12 Dec 2017, 8:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:Powders can't be posted but primers can. If you know anybody with a firearms licence that travels interstate they can bring powder to you. You don't need a DG ticket to transport personal supplies of powders. Rebelgunworks have the best DG fees - $60.
Probably similar to why I can buy steel silhouette targets from the US for less than half what they cost here in Oz.

This is what one store told me:

Yes we can freight ammunition & primers but it can be quite expensive (around $150.00 for the first 10kgs depending on location) because of the dangerous goods surcharge.

However, the more you purchase, the cheaper it works out (I.E. 20kgs might only be $165.00 etc) so bulk purchases make it more cost effective. Rural or out of town areas can be very expensive, so it may be cheaper for you to pick up your purchase from the local freight depot.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 12 Dec 2017, 8:54 pm

Tripod wrote:If you are interested in .52gr swaged hollow point projectiles in bulk send me a pm. :thumbsup:

What Tripod has got will do the job! If you buy a lot, I am sure he will find the cheapest way to get them to you.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 12 Dec 2017, 8:54 pm

Roo farmer wrote:This is what one store told me:

Yes we can freight ammunition & primers but it can be quite expensive (around $150.00 for the first 10kgs depending on location) because of the dangerous goods surcharge.

However, the more you purchase, the cheaper it works out (I.E. 20kgs might only be $165.00 etc) so bulk purchases make it more cost effective. Rural or out of town areas can be very expensive, so it may be cheaper for you to pick up your purchase from the local freight depot.

Get a price from RGW.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 13 Dec 2017, 8:32 am

Or just go to SARA they are one of the cheapest States http://www.riflesa.asn.au/
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition