Leupold vxr firedot

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Leupold vxr firedot

Post by albat » 10 Jul 2017, 9:08 am

Looking for a scope for my new t3x 308 anybody had a leupold with the firedot looking at low magnification 2-7 etc short range are they worth the extra dollars over a leupold vx2 or or vx3?
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Leupold vxr firedot

Post by Archie » 10 Jul 2017, 12:51 pm

albat wrote:Looking for a scope for my new t3x 308 anybody had a leupold with the firedot looking at low magnification 2-7 etc short range are they worth the extra dollars over a leupold vx2 or or vx3?

As to whether its' worth the money, up to you, but for what its worth I have one and it's excellent. Mine is fitted to a 22lr and it's overkill on that rifle, but it's turned a good rifle into a rabbit laser. The dot just guides straight to your eye. As one of my mates said, it turns it into a videogame.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 10 Jul 2017, 5:30 pm

Thx for that archie i think im sold ,reckon it would be good for a moving target especially low light
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Sep 2017, 7:16 pm

I have one on my 30-06 but 4-12x50, IMO very very good value and quality, I would buy another for stalking
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Archie » 11 Sep 2017, 10:42 am

Albat did you end up buying it?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 11 Sep 2017, 8:04 pm

Yes archie 2-7x33 vxr leupy its now on my tikka t3x .308 , i honestly think i would'nt buy another hunting scope without the firedot fantastic for super quick point and shoot way better than red dot when on 2xpower, stuff thats moving is way easier to hit.
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Sep 2017, 5:02 pm

albat wrote:Yes archie 2-7x33 vxr leupy its now on my tikka t3x .308 , i honestly think i would'nt buy another hunting scope without the firedot fantastic for super quick point and shoot way better than red dot when on 2xpower, stuff thats moving is way easier to hit.

I reckon they are good things too, used my mates one a few years back and really liked it. What version of the t3x did you buy mate and how do you find it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 12 Sep 2017, 5:08 pm

2-7x33 mate for a 700 dollar scope makes for an awesome hunting optic the 2x setting is like having a red dot that you can stretch out a bit
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 12 Sep 2017, 5:41 pm

Got a cool name ! Buy it .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 12 Sep 2017, 6:09 pm

albat wrote:Yes archie 2-7x33 vxr leupy its now on my tikka t3x .308 , i honestly think i would'nt buy another hunting scope without the firedot fantastic for super quick point and shoot way better than red dot when on 2xpower, stuff thats moving is way easier to hit.

they have very clear optics at low light and the red dot does improve super quick shots
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Sep 2017, 6:51 pm

What version of the t3x have you got albat? and how do you find it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 12 Sep 2017, 7:03 pm

bigfellascott wrote:What version of the t3x have you got albat? and how do you find it.

T3x lite stainless synthetic, 308 , so far i rate it highly, went to the range today, tried out some 17 dollar ppu, and it shot some groups well under an inch using a bipod so cant complain if it digests the crap stuff and dont get diahorrea !!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm

Good to hear mate, what grain weight were the PPU's? (I assume 150gn) I tried the 130gn Feds and they didn't shoot real well in my t3x Hunter fluted but I think I have found the problem (barrel touches the forend) so I've either got to open it up and see if that solves the problem or I have a synthetic stock sitting here I can drop it or or I also have a T3 Lam stock I can drop it in (I'll probably go the lam stock I reckon as I like Lam stocks the best.

I've also got a good range of projectiles and powders to give a run in it when I'm ready to reload for it (can't be bothered doing it at the moment, too busy getting ready to move so all the gear is stored) but once I get settled I will pull my finger out and get stuck in and sort it out. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by winton » 29 Dec 2017, 2:34 pm

I think the VXR 2-7 was fantastic. Except on a trip to the NT, the scope did not hold zero very long in the 4x4. I did not bring a soft bag so I suppose that its really my fault.

Do we expect a scope to hold zero bumping and moving around in a vehicle?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 29 Dec 2017, 11:49 pm

winton wrote:Do we expect a scope to hold zero bumping and moving around in a vehicle?

Absolutely, if a scope didn't hold zero over rough terrain it would be useless to allot of us who hunt from vehicles in the bush, particularly if you hunt from a quad, trail bike or atv or 4x4 off the beaten track.
Not to mention, if a bumpy ride in a vehicle threw your scope out of whack it probably wouldn't hold up to much more than the recoil from a 223, I'd be inclined to think under tightened mounts or rings would be the culprit, either that or a faulty scope.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by winton » 30 Dec 2017, 11:23 am

I had it sent back to leupold. I suppose thats the one good thing about leupold in Australia.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 30 Dec 2017, 11:28 am

albat wrote:Looking for a scope for my new t3x 308 anybody had a leupold with the firedot looking at low magnification 2-7 etc short range are they worth the extra dollars over a leupold vx2 or or vx3?

Get out of my head! I recently got a second hand that exact one, to put on my hunting 308 lol
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by albat » 30 Dec 2017, 8:41 pm

juststarting wrote:

Get out of my head! I recently got a second hand that exact one, to put on my hunting 308 lol
. Bloody good choice just starting, mine as been going a treat on the tikka t3x 308 ,got in mounted on a rail with leupold medium quick release 30mm rings shot a mob of pigs on the run on Wednesday firedot is tops in those scenarios
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 30 Dec 2017, 9:03 pm

It's a replacement for 3-12 Nikon. Bit thicker but smaller overall length. I got it on mounts/bases (not rail) with medium Leupold rings. Yet to put it all together, but o figured I have few months until it's deer pew pew time. Going on Browning composite stalker.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by winton » 03 Jan 2018, 3:25 pm

albat wrote:Bloody good choice just starting, mine as been going a treat on the tikka t3x 308 ,got in mounted on a rail with leupold medium quick release 30mm rings shot a mob of pigs on the run on Wednesday firedot is tops in those scenarios

You really start to appreciate the field of view when at two power with the 2-7 scope. Its also super light.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lumbajak » 05 Jan 2018, 10:56 pm

Good scopes clearer than the v3 and fire dot is a cracker in dark bush - I have the vxr hog on my 7600 pump 308. Bacon busta.... love it
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland