Cost of lighter projectiles in factory ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Cost of lighter projectiles in factory ammo

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 1:50 pm

Can someone kindly explain to me why the price of lighter projectiles in factory ammunition is quite a bit more expensive than heavier rounds?
I thought it would be the other way around? I'm looking to source some 55ish gr bullets for the .243 and am looking at up to $20 extra for a box compared to the heavier pills :wtf:
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Cost of lighter projectiles in factory ammo

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 2:04 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Can someone kindly explain to me why the price of lighter projectiles in factory ammunition is quite a bit more expensive than heavier rounds?
I thought it would be the other way around? I'm looking to source some 55ish gr bullets for the .243 and am looking at up to $20 extra for a box compared to the heavier pills :wtf:

Probably more to do with market demands, if you're the only bloke buying them then the price is going to be higher than what thousands of other people are buying.
The 55gn Noslers are only about $65 per 250 from memory (I bought heaps of them).
You could just pull the bullets you have and seat the 55gn in there instead.
Is there a reason you want the lighter bullet?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 2:21 pm

The rifle is new, I want to experiment with different rounds to see groupings and difference in felt recoil.
I'll elaborate a little about the recoil - the 90gr pills I was shooting when I got the rifle, after only 6 shots I was getting pain in the soft tissue under the collar bone. I am keen to see what the lighter rounds feel like. (fyi - I'm 5'8, 65kg - I'm not a big unit and definitely feel the recoil).
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 12 Jan 2018, 2:27 pm

Different materials i would say also contribute, lead is generally fairly cheap and plentiful, once you get into mix and match tins and special alloys the ingredients can be pricey
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 2:36 pm

YoungBuck wrote:The rifle is new, I want to experiment with different rounds to see groupings and difference in felt recoil.
I'll elaborate a little about the recoil - the 90gr pills I was shooting when I got the rifle, after only 6 shots I was getting pain in the soft tissue under the collar bone. I am keen to see what the lighter rounds feel like. (fyi - I'm 5'8, 65kg - I'm not a big unit and definitely feel the recoil).

I would look at loading lighter loads yourself then, or use a muzzle brake.
80gn bullets in the .223 have noticeably more recoil than the 35gn.
My brother's favorite plinking load in the .243 is the 58gn VMax on Trailboss at 2000fps, very quiet and zero recoil.

How many rounds do you need?
I could probably make some 55gn loads up for you to try but getting them to you could be a problem - I'm two-hours east of Melbourne.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2018, 2:40 pm

Wish I was 65kg. :lol:
At 65kg should be fine with recoil. The lighter bullets will get pushed a lot faster so the difference will not be great. More likely how you are holding it or if the rifle is very light.

Reloading is the best way to control all aspects of the ammo you use. Cheaper too.

P.S. We're you wearing a jacket or jumper, or just a shirt?

Want to sell the tikki cheap? :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 12 Jan 2018, 2:45 pm

these shoot well and are not badly priced for reloading
http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/54201 ... proje.html

but to answer your question, the cost of lighter projectiles in factory ammo is more because the dealer does not sell heaps so he makes out that having them in stock puts him out so he has the right to charge you more for him being such a good guy and making them available to you :lol:
they are salesmen who earn a living by taking your dollars :thumbsup:
there are a couple of really good ones eg: Paul at centerway firearms Victoria who do look after loyal customers and are willing to deal :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 12 Jan 2018, 2:51 pm

Recoil of a .243 hurting?

Your shoulder will get used to the thump if you can call it that, but also get someone to have a look at how your holding the rifle and what happens when it fires recoil wise

Just a suggestion
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 2:53 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Wish I was 65kg. :lol:
At 65kg should be fine with recoil. The lighter bullets will get pushed a lot faster so the difference will not be great. More likely how you are holding it or if the rifle is very light.

Reloading is the best way to control all aspects of the ammo you use. Cheaper too.

Want to sell the tikki cheap? :lol:

Haha pain or not the Tikka is here to stay :lol:
It definitely could be how I am holding it and where the pad it sitting in the shoulder, might also have something to do with the fact I broke my collar bone when i was about 4, I have no idea whether it healed properly or not.
Either way I'll be testing some lighter pills just to try them.
bladeracer wrote:
YoungBuck wrote:The 55gn Noslers are only about $65 per 250 from memory (I bought heaps of them).

Where on earth did you get 250 x .243 rounds for $65??? Or are you referring to pills only as opposed to cartridges?
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2018, 2:58 pm

"they are salesmen who earn a living by taking your dollars
there are a couple of really good ones eg: Paul at centerway firearms Victoria who do look after loyal customers and are willing to deal "

Spot on.

YB, you have a 22mag & bought the 243 for bigger game . It would be a shame to use 55gr bullets more suited to 223.

80gr + bullets are legal for the smaller varieties of deer in Vic, I'm sure great on goats, pigs, dogs too. But bit much for foxes. So you need to find a way to use 80gr or a little bigger.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 2:58 pm

AusTac wrote:Recoil of a .243 hurting?

Your shoulder will get used to the thump if you can call it that, but also get someone to have a look at how your holding the rifle and what happens when it fires recoil wise

Just a suggestion

Yes I'm not proud of the fact :oops: but fact it is.
This is my first centrefire and I more than likely need to adjust how to I'm shooting it. Years of only rimfire shooting may have introduced some bad posture habits.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 3:08 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Where on earth did you get 250 x .243 rounds for $65??? Or are you referring to pills only as opposed to cartridges?

Yep, just the bullets. I was suggesting you pull the 90gn you're using and seat the 55gn instead.
The 90gn powder charge could be as much as 10gn light for the 55gn bullet which would also help recoil.
You could seat the bullets with a $50 Lee Loader if you don't want to get into reloading.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 3:10 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"they are salesmen who earn a living by taking your dollars
there are a couple of really good ones eg: Paul at centerway firearms Victoria who do look after loyal customers and are willing to deal "

Spot on.

YB, you have a 22mag & bought the 243 for bigger game . It would be a shame to use 55gr bullets more suited to 223.

80gr + bullets are legal for the smaller varieties of deer in Vic, I'm sure great on goats, pigs, dogs too. But bit much for foxes. So you need to find a way to use 80gr or a little bigger.

Yes this did also cross my mind. I'll be getting a few boxes of different weights - 55, 70, 80 (already have 90) and will see how I go. I'm hoping the 70gr or 80gr are a good compromise.

Also thx to all for the answer RE: the original question, I honestly had no idea that stores sold so much fewer lighter rounds.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jan 2018, 3:15 pm

Hey yb were ya using the ppu 90's?
:unknown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 3:17 pm

YoungBuck wrote:

Just a suggestion

This is my first centrefire and I more than likely need to adjust how to I'm shooting it. Years of only rimfire shooting may have introduced some bad posture habits.

Both my shoulders and collarbones are smashed, as well as my right wrist so I understand your pain :-)
12-gauge gives me grief every time I shoot it.
What position are shooting from? Prone will give you the most recoil feedback, seated from a bench would be better, standing is better still.
I would try a muzzle brake. You don't know anybody with a braked .243 you could try?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 3:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
YoungBuck wrote:Where on earth did you get 250 x .243 rounds for $65??? Or are you referring to pills only as opposed to cartridges?

Yep, just the bullets. I was suggesting you pull the 90gn you're using and seat the 55gn instead.
The 90gn powder charge could be as much as 10gn light for the 55gn bullet which would also help recoil.
You could seat the bullets with a $50 Lee Loader if you don't want to get into reloading.

I will keep this in mind, but hoping it doesn't come to that. Would be a bit of a pain having to re-seat all my ammo.

bladeracer wrote:How many rounds do you need?
I could probably make some 55gn loads up for you to try but getting them to you could be a problem - I'm two-hours east of Melbourne.

Thanks for the offer, but it's all good. I'll try different weights of factory rounds first and see how I go. :drinks:
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jan 2018, 3:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
YoungBuck wrote:

Just a suggestion

Both my shoulders and collarbones are smashed, as well as my right wrist so I understand your pain :-)
12-gauge gives me grief every time I shoot it.
What position are shooting from? Prone will give you the most recoil feedback, seated from a bench would be better, standing is better still.
I would try a muzzle brake. You don't know anybody with a braked .243 you could try?

Or maybe try Fusion brand(yellow and orange pkt) 95gr subs (stated mv of 905fps) if I remember right. Bought some for the missus when the ppu were giving her a bit of grief and she found them much easier. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2018, 3:26 pm

Recoil more or less works like this.

Felt recoil.JPG
Felt recoil.JPG (71.4 KiB) Viewed 8201 times

Also a link below.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ge-recoil/
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 3:26 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Thanks for the offer, but it's all good. I'll try different weights of factory rounds first and see how I go. :drinks:

It just occurred to me, Hornady do a low-recoil line of ammo called "Custom-Lite".
It includes an 87gn SST .243 load.
I have no idea if it's available in Oz.
But I could load some 87gn VMax's at the same velocity and see how they feel.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/243-win-87-gr-sst-custom-lite#!/

87gn SST at 2800fps.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 3:29 pm

Daddybang wrote:Hey yb were ya using the ppu 90's?
:unknown:

Bingo. Bought a couple of boxes of it to get the shots on paper and zero it.

bladeracer wrote:What position are shooting from? Prone will give you the most recoil feedback, seated from a bench would be better, standing is better still.

Was shooting from fold-out table I took with me, but I think it might have been a little low which might have contributed to the issue.
The brother of an in-law might have a break but my barrel isn't threaded... Tikka t3x Lite SS.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jan 2018, 3:38 pm

Thought so :D the ppu are cheaper than the name brands regardless of weight cause they're made in Serbia or one of those eastern Europe countries. And the felt recoil is a lot more than winchester or federal maybe the thicker case?. :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 3:41 pm

Daddybang wrote:Or maybe try Fusion brand(yellow and orange pkt) 95gr subs (stated mv of 905fps) if I remember right. Bought some for the missus when the ppu were giving her a bit of grief and she found them much easier. :drinks:

I can't tell if you're taking the piss or not lol :lol:
Either way, won't really work for me as the purpose of the rifle will be for larger targets and foxes at extended ranges (130+m) and occasionally mincing some bunnies which I am looking forward to :twisted: .

bladeracer wrote:It just occurred to me, Hornady do a low-recoil line of ammo called "Custom-Lite".
It includes an 87gn SST .243 load.
I have no idea if it's available in Oz.
But I could load some 87gn VMax's at the same velocity and see how they feel.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/243-win-87-gr-sst-custom-lite#!/

87gn SST at 2800fps.

Thx for the tip - I'll keep an eye out for these mate, trouble with the Hornady rounds is the damn things are at a premium price compared to everything else!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 3:43 pm

YoungBuck wrote:The brother of an in-law might have a break but my barrel isn't threaded... Tikka t3x Lite SS.

If you can have a shot with a braked rifle and think it helps then threading the muzzle is pretty easy to do.

That Hornady Custom-Lite load with the 87gn SST at 2800fps would be more than one-grain lower than ADI's starting load so it should be pretty comfortable.
The Hornady Custom 87gn VMax load is 3240fps for comparison.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jan 2018, 3:44 pm

Nah not taking the piss :lol: :drinks:
We don't shoot much over100 at home.
Winchester make a 58 gr that's also pretty easy on the shoulder :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jan 2018, 3:49 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Thx for the tip - I'll keep an eye out for these mate, trouble with the Hornady rounds is the damn things are at a premium price compared to everything else!

That's why we reload ;-)
My bother is using Federal 75gn HP factory ammo for full-power loads, but only until he has a nice batch of brass to reload.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2018, 4:56 pm

"That Hornady Custom-Lite load with the 87gn SST at 2800fps would be more than one-grain lower than ADI's starting load so it should be pretty comfortable."

I agree. Ideal for his use too.
Sounds like YB needs to get into reloading.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jan 2018, 8:42 pm

I think I dropped a 2 off the mv stated above :unknown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jan 2018, 8:48 pm

Daddybang wrote:I think I dropped a 2 off the mv stated above :unknown: :drinks:

Ah that explains why I though you were taking the piss - 95gr at 980fps :lol: Just Googled it, yes its 2980fps.
Does it really produce a lighter recoil? The PPU 90gr is pretty much the same MV - 2969fps.

edit: scratch that last, it's 3100fps (945m/s).
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2018, 9:18 pm

If the ammo you are shooting is about equal to the ADI starting load it will be fairly mild recoil.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 12 Jan 2018, 9:24 pm

If the tikka still has the factory recoil pad on it, buy a limbsaver precision first pad for it, should be model 10011. I put one on my tikka T3 Hunter in 25-06 and it made a BIG difference. Screws straight on and fits neatly. I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics