My OCW Test

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: My OCW Test

Post by tom604 » 13 Jan 2018, 5:44 pm

seems a waste of ammo :unknown: but each to their own :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 13 Jan 2018, 5:53 pm

tom604 wrote:seems a waste of ammo :unknown: but each to their own :thumbsup:

Nope for trend analysis, the larger the sample size the more acurate your trend identification will be. Three shots per increment is NOTHING. But as BF has already said, if this is not for competition, there’s not a huge reason for getting caught up on the details. Find a decent enough load and go out and shoot!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 15 Jan 2018, 7:45 pm

in2anity wrote:

Nope for trend analysis, the larger the sample size the more acurate your trend identification will be. Three shots per increment is NOTHING. But as BF has already said, if this is not for competition, there’s not a huge reason for getting caught up on the details. Find a decent enough load and go out and shoot!

but he had two groups that were better than what he was looking at and then he was going to have to play with the seating to get it to group :unknown:
three shot is the min for an average,the more you shoot the better the info :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2018, 8:20 pm

No shooting is a waste of ammo in my book, it's all good :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 15 Jan 2018, 8:49 pm

No shooting is a waste of ammo in my book, it's all good :-)[/quote]

I don't understand most of the technical sh@t being discussed ...but this I get!!!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 16 Jan 2018, 6:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:

No shooting is a waste of ammo in my book, it's all good :-)

true that :lol: better if it's at a critter :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 17 Jan 2018, 11:25 am

Just another part of the load development which I think affects group size more under most conditions is seating depth. In the picture below I started with seating depths of what I thout was on the lands then at 15 thou off,25,35,50 and 60. After looking at the results I when back and decided to try harder and be more precise with my 0 or on the lands seating and removed the ejector spring in the bolt to get a better feeling. The reason for this was that the 25 thou off if it was that didn't fit the pattern I would expect. As it turned out I was correct and the 25 thou was some touching and some not. There is about 4 thou tolerance in seating the bullet. and the 0 and 15 were in fact jammed.
Anyway I adjusted the dies and decided to re run the tests. These are all using 308 Berger 155 hybrids. I would have liked to see the point in which the groups opened up it looks like the Hybrids are very tolerant to seating depth. I did the second test at 0,20,40,60 and 80 thou off the lands. The second test are the groups on the top.
From this I think I will seat them 50 thou off as 40 and 60 are pretty good and that gives room for any tolerance issues.
IMAG0197.jpg

I was also testing a firm recoil hold vs a free recoil the first groups shot free recoil then I shot a group the same day in the bottom middle using a firm recoil hold and found it was not any worse but keeps the rifle more on target. The second test was all done with a firm recoil hold. Just to see if any more fliers appeared. It is important to keep the conditions all the same as there is a difference in POI from free recoil to soft hold to firm hold to grip as hard as you can.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition