6.5 Grendel? Thoughts?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

6.5 Grendel? Thoughts?

Post by Cooper » 08 Jan 2018, 1:44 pm

Mainly interested as I have jumped on the 6.5mm bandwagon with a 6.5 Creedmoor. So I have a fair selection of 6.5mm projectiles to try. Think the 123sst would probably go well in the 6.5 Grendel. Also I like the Howa Mini action plantform (have 204ruger and 223).

Dunno? It just a thought? I see that Ruger and CZ both do a 6.5 Grendel also with 1-8 twist barrels. Whereas the Howa has a 1-10 twist (still should be good for up to 129gr projectiles) I wouldn't want to run 140s in the Grendel anyway?

Tried searching here. Didn't find much? Anybody got a 6.5 Grendel on here?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: 6.5 Grendel? Thoughts?

Post by sungazer » 08 Jan 2018, 3:24 pm

Whats your thinking other than "can never have to many toys (guns) he who has the most wins" What twist do you have on your Creedmoor they usually push the 140s ok.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Cooper » 08 Jan 2018, 4:37 pm

sungazer wrote:Whats your thinking other than "can never have to many toys (guns) he who has the most wins" What twist do you have on your Creedmoor they usually push the 140s ok.

Yeah pretty much. Just another toy! But I also reckon it would be a nice mild calibre to shoot and something in between 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. My Creedmoor has a 1-8 twist barrel. But it is 26inch heavy barrel. So it not exactly a walk around rifle.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 08 Jan 2018, 7:31 pm

Mate there would be nothing in it. As for the weight pff neither here or there. It is a cartridge for accuracy and speed so the extra length is useful. I had a look at the ADI book and there is no reason you could not load just below minimum loads for the same bullet as the max load on the 6.5 G. The range of projectiles seem very limited for that cartridge. I think your on a winner with the 6.5 C.
I will have to take some pics of my Christmas presents just started the break in and the Creedmoor is looking spectacular for the arbitrary middle of the range loads I picked just to break in.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by slickncghia » 18 Jan 2018, 11:50 am

I thought about that howa Grendel for a while.

If I was you and wanted just a softer shooting 6.5 I would look at just downloading the 61/2 creed with 2206H (best downloading powder)

2206H is H4895. read up on it. I use it in my 30-06 for my 150gn 2000ft/sec mild loads
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Norton » 19 Jan 2018, 11:33 am

The Grendel is a weird one to me.

Another one of these wildcats that do a tweak here or there to have some differences that sound appealing on paper but at the end of the day don't do anything.

They're meant to be more accurate then the 5.56 while keeping the same cartridge length. Basically they chopped off the bottom of a 6.5CM, so you have these high BC projectiles but not as much powder driving them and more limited range. Less recoil, but whatever, it's not like the 6.5CM is a savage cartridge.

Compared to the 6.5CM you basically trade range and performance to have a cartridge that's a cm shorter shorter. How is that cartridge being shorter useful, really? :unknown:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SillyWetTas » 24 Jan 2018, 8:17 pm

I think if want a Grendel get it .
To me it is win win win.
Less powder less noise les recoil.
You don't need "bigger and better".
Marcus
SillyWetTas
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by VICHunter » 25 Jan 2018, 12:29 pm

Norton wrote:Compared to the 6.5CM you basically trade range and performance to have a cartridge that's a cm shorter shorter. How is that cartridge being shorter useful, really? :unknown:

Isn't it so you can say the bolt through is shorter? Saves you that 0.01 of a second when a deer is bolting from you :sarcasm:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Feb 2018, 9:17 am

Extremely accurate, very efficient and pleasant to shoot. What is not to like about the Gendel? Use flat based projectiles out to 300 metres, it is not a long range caliber which will do well in windy conditions..for the right application it is hard to beat.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Feb 2018, 9:58 am

The 6.5 Grendel is based on the 7.62 x 39 case, necked down to 6.5mm, blown out shoulder and the primer pocket changed to take small rifle primers. It was specifically designed for use in the AR platform as a long range performer. ( Sorry SCJ429 ). It is very similar to the PPC range of cases.
It has a smaller case capacity than the Creedmoor so it won't push the heavier projectiles as fast.
It now being available in relatively cheap, lightweight hunting rifles, ( think Howa ) , it would make a good choice for a walkabout hunting rifle. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 10 Feb 2018, 10:09 am

just go straight to the 6.5x284 :thumbsup:
very very accurate round, great killing round, easy to shoot and reload for :drinks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taRMw9NN8CU
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Feb 2018, 10:22 am

As are most 6.5's.
I was replying to his question directly, I took it that he is after a cheap, lightweight, "walkabout" rifle. I don't think he's chasing the World Long Range Title. :lol:
Cooper wrote "My Creedmoor has a 1-8 twist barrel. But it is 26inch heavy barrel. So it not exactly a walk around rifle." :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 10 Feb 2018, 10:27 am

be cheap to rechamber to 6.5x284 :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Feb 2018, 10:30 am

But then he doesn't increase the number of "toys" he owns. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Feb 2018, 9:36 pm

No stress, they say it is a long range performer in a AR platform but it just cannot push high bc VLDs quick enough to be competitive with 6BR types but the BR will not feed well in an AR. Same as trying to use a 6PPC against the 6BR at 500. If you want to shoot super accurately out to 300 the Grendel will do well but from 500 to 1000 you will get cleaned up by other cases. The heaviest pills most guys would use in the Gendel is around 120 grain. The 223 can be used in long range competition also but it hasn't won anything for many years.

The Grendel's parent case is the 220 Russian but the good thing is you can get factory Lapua Gendel brass, no fire forming needed. I have a 30BR in a hunting rifle, it really hammers but it is not a long range performer.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 11 Feb 2018, 8:48 am

The 223 is still used in competition in F Standard and in the hands of a good shooter is competitive at least out to 600 then it gets a bit harder but will still do ok even out to the 900 and with a push the 1000.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Smiley » 11 Feb 2018, 6:51 pm

My favorite 6.5mm is the 6.5x47lapua.
Just putting it out there.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 12 Feb 2018, 8:14 am

Still thinking about the Grendel. Not in rush. I’ve been shooting a few 95gr Vmax out the Creedmoor on game for some pretty impressive results. The Grendel obviously cannot match those speeds. But I reckon the 95gr Vmax would still pretty effective out to say 300 metres.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 12 Feb 2018, 5:44 pm

Lots of good points here - what I can’t help think, it’s an expensive projectile to shoot at mild velocities...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 12 Feb 2018, 5:55 pm

No problem in taking out some pretty large game with a 95gr or 100gr Gameking out to 300. However of course shot placement is always key.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Midwestman » 21 Feb 2018, 1:34 pm

it's just a short action and cartridge for a 6.5/lets see in a hundred years even thou we won't be here how all these other short action 6.5s creedmoor,grendel,260R etc will be around.May be biast as owned a 6.5x55swede for most of my adult years 47 now and you can't beat perfection i've taken many a critter with it long range and short range and everything that get hits by it from fox wild dog,pigs,goats deer.horse even a buffalo at 75metres all just dropped dead straight away and it was invented in 1894 and still going strong if not now gaining in popularity now that's a great rifle cartridge.
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 02 Mar 2018, 11:37 am

in2anity wrote:Lots of good points here - what I can’t help think, it’s an expensive projectile to shoot at mild velocities...

Yeah kind of... I was getting the 95gr Vmax for $45 per hundred ( probably $52 now - that's my local) so a premium heavy .223 projectile will be in the $30-50 per 100 range? The Grendel uses approx 5gr more powder than the .223. At max loads the 95gr projectile can move at some what respectable velocities.

The thing that really stopped me for now... Was the price of brass and dies and limited factory ammo. If I buy a Grendel I will probably buy factory Hornady or Federal and then reload that brass. If I bought Lapua brass and then dies. I would have spent nearly $400 before even starting.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Mar 2018, 1:21 pm

I just had another thought about the 6.5 grendel

"get a 6.5x284" :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks: just do it :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Mar 2018, 2:20 pm

marksman wrote:I just had another thought about the 6.5 grendel

Don't bother cleaning the bore, just get a new barrel! :lol:
*joke
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by marksman » 08 Mar 2018, 7:12 am

Gwion wrote:
marksman wrote:I just had another thought about the 6.5 grendel

Don't bother cleaning the bore, just get a new barrel! :lol:
*joke

so I have heard :allegedly: :lol: :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 08 Mar 2018, 7:48 pm

Gamerancher wrote:The 6.5 Grendel is based on the 7.62 x 39 case, necked down to 6.5mm, blown out shoulder and the primer pocket changed to take small rifle primers. It was specifically designed for use in the AR platform as a long range performer. ( Sorry SCJ429 ). It is very similar to the PPC range of cases.
It has a smaller case capacity than the Creedmoor so it won't push the heavier projectiles as fast.
It now being available in relatively cheap, lightweight hunting rifles, ( think Howa ) , it would make a good choice for a walkabout hunting rifle. :thumbsup:

Think CZ 527 - now that's a nifty little rifle to carry around. And that's what I would want it for.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Cooper » 28 Apr 2018, 4:48 pm

I've bought a 6.5 Grendel....

I think I'll start another thread in rifle section.

I only have 40 shot or so through it... But I'm pretty impressed so far

I ended up with the Howa Mini with 22inch sporter barrel. I kind of wanted the 20inch varmint barrel but my local had the sporter in stock.

The highlights so far...

I have already put the Rifle in my MDT chassis.
ADI load data is pretty much smack on! It uses Lapua brass and so far I have achieved 2800fps with 95gr Vmax with 30gr of Benchmark 8208. That is pretty much where I hope it would be. To put that in perspective my Creedmoor with 26inch barrel does 3150fps with 10grs more powder. So the Grendel does pack a fair punch.

The only real drama I've had so far was finding a neck die. I bought a Hornady 6.5mm short neck die. But I really don't like it. Lee don't do a collet neck die. The Grendel is mainly in the AR plantform which requires full length resizing due to being Semi auto. So I ended up with a L.E Wilson neck die which takes bushings. I also bought a little Arbour press as the Wilson die isn't the screw in press style die. Anyway it's something different. I probably enjoy working up loads and trying something different as much as I do shooting.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by snag » 29 Apr 2018, 10:09 pm

I can see where you're coming from Cooper, I'm a 6.5 x 55 man myself, but I'm looking at building one last BR rifle and have been torn between going .260 rem or a 6.5. Honestly, I don't see the attraction for the 6.5 Creedmore - to me it doesn't do anything my 6.5 x 55 can't do with the right loads. The Grendel however, is a really interesting thing that appeals to my love of less popular calibres. I reckon that's the way I'm gunna go.
Don't be afraid of doing something different. Snag.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 30 Apr 2018, 8:49 pm

I purchased a 7mm Rem Mag to do F-class and the recoil is a problem.I use 168gn Sierra Match kings and 2213sc.The 100gn pills with 2208 are much more manageble.If I had my time over I would get a 6.5 Creedmoor for F-class and the Grendel for hunting
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 03 May 2018, 10:07 pm

If you have a soft spot for less popular calibers then the 7mm BR and the 30 BR are very efficient and super accurate. I take my hat off to Grendel hunters, so much cooler than hunting with a 308. Just got to use the right projectile and keep the distances reasonable.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics