Alternatives to Belmont QLD

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Alternatives to Belmont QLD

Post by Diizane » 05 Feb 2018, 4:12 pm

Is Belmont the only rifle range in the Brisbane / North Brisbane area?
I'm just looking to go shoot some targets of mine.

They've changed their hours open for the entire month meaning i'm unable to get down there which is a pain in the ass, so if there's any rifle ranges within appropriate driving distances i'm looking for them.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Alternatives to Belmont QLD

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Feb 2018, 5:13 pm

There is one supposed to be opening at Rocksberg (near Caboolture) but not sure if it's operational yet (been fighting to get it opened for a few years now) and haven't been in contact to find out the latest.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KaptainM » 05 Feb 2018, 7:11 pm

Reading the Belmont page it looks like the weekend rifle comps are canceled as well. Am I reading that right?
KaptainM
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 05 Feb 2018, 7:26 pm

I have heard of a place called ripley, that might be an alternative? I've never been down there so don't know
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 05 Feb 2018, 7:56 pm

Ripley is way better than belmont anyway ,its a bit out the way though, and is accessed by dirt road close to the facility much better vibe than belmont in the country setting quite often get a cease fire to let the roos get out the way!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 05 Feb 2018, 9:27 pm

X2 Ripley is my go to i personally cant stand Belmont have been there a few times and regretted it. Both Ron and Dennis are easy to get along with as are all the patrons
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 05 Feb 2018, 9:44 pm

Yep, Ron and Dennis are good blokes.

Only problem with ripley is it’s getting too popular with the Belmont crowd and starting to get really busy :)

As someone who ends up doing the range assistant job there most times I go, If its your first time don’t forget to check the rules on the sign in the carpark before you go up to the office to sign in

Main differences to Belmont
- leave your gun bags in the car.
- don’t leave your rifle on the bench, when they give the 30 second warning for ceasefire, clear it and put it on the rack behind the bench with action open.
- backing boards to staple your targets on are in the shed at the end of the range.

Range is open Friday-Monday 9am-4pm. $10 for SSAA members. If you want to shoot clays it’s $5 for the key to one of the throwers.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 06 Feb 2018, 10:52 am

bigfellascott wrote:There is one supposed to be opening at Rocksberg (near Caboolture) but not sure if it's operational yet (been fighting to get it opened for a few years now) and haven't been in contact to find out the latest.

Caboolture would be great but doesn't look it's opening any time soon.

albat wrote:Ripley is way better than belmont anyway ,its a bit out the way though, and is accessed by dirt road close to the facility much better vibe than belmont in the country setting quite often get a cease fire to let the roos get out the way!

You're not wrong mate, that's about 1 hour 30 minute drive for me each way, i don't think that's a viable option for me unfortunately.

Looks like i'm stuck with belmont for now.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 06 Feb 2018, 11:02 am

X3 for Ripley.. It's a great range. Yes it is getting as busy as hell.... a lot of crew there now.... Starting to be like Belmont, turn up early to get a spot......
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Feb 2018, 11:08 am

Theres one on the Sunshine Coast too, can't remember where (been a while since I was there) but it was a nice setup from memory and I think you could shoot out to 200m or 300m?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 06 Feb 2018, 11:15 am

North Arm Shooting Complex. NRA & SSAA different Ranges.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 06 Feb 2018, 3:55 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Theres one on the Sunshine Coast too, can't remember where (been a while since I was there) but it was a nice setup from memory and I think you could shoot out to 200m or 300m?

Theres the SSAA yandina range.... only 100m and only open every wed morn for a few hours and most sunday mornings for a few hours...kinda a PITA.
Then there is imbil SSAA range which is open the 1st and 3rd saturday of each month and u can shoot allday. They have 2 ranges one is out to 200m and the other is only open when they have enough RO's and thats out to 700metres. Very friendly there :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 07 Feb 2018, 7:30 am

Mongrel wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Theres one on the Sunshine Coast too, can't remember where (been a while since I was there) but it was a nice setup from memory and I think you could shoot out to 200m or 300m?

Theres the SSAA yandina range.... only 100m and only open every wed morn for a few hours and most sunday mornings for a few hours...kinda a PITA.
Then there is imbil SSAA range which is open the 1st and 3rd saturday of each month and u can shoot allday. They have 2 ranges one is out to 200m and the other is only open when they have enough RO's and thats out to 700metres. Very friendly there :)

Looks like I'm smack bang in the middle of yandina and ipswich/ripley. 1hr 15m drive each way regardless, looks like Belmont is my only viable option untill Caboolture opens up (potentially never).
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 13 Feb 2018, 9:34 pm

Diizane wrote:
Mongrel wrote:

Looks like I'm smack bang in the middle of yandina and ipswich/ripley. 1hr 15m drive each way regardless, looks like Belmont is my only viable option untill Caboolture opens up (potentially never).

Id still drive to ripley iv i were in your shoes.

Took a few mates down to ripley both licenced have both said they will never return to Belmont. Some of the stuff ive heard that they were trying to push when they were at belmont made me shake my head in dissapointment. Told the young bloke on every cease fire he had to remove his bolt from rifle and drop the mag or in his case floor plate. Other bloke wanted to take his mother for a shoot (mother was unlicenced) and was told he couldn't because he'd not held his licence for 12 months. Seems they are loving making new rules for the sake of it.

Then again what else would you expect :unknown: :wtf: :thumbsdown:
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 13 Feb 2018, 9:40 pm

Seems they are loving making new rules for the sake of it.

Then again what else would you expect :unknown: :wtf: :thumbsdown:[/quote]

How the F@#K do they expect to grow the sport with bullsh@t like that :thumbsdown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 13 Feb 2018, 9:59 pm

AASS lost all sense of direction
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tillaan » 16 Feb 2018, 10:44 pm

I'm another one stuck on the north side with long drives to shoot anywhere.

I actually went to Belmont today and it wasn't too busy and didn't run into any issues (no one asked me to remove my bolt between rounds!)

But at $24 to shoot + 1 hour drive / tolls it ain't that friendly on the wallet!

I recently got this email back from SSAA Rocksberg thou which sounds a little hopefully (sent them an email some time ago)

Hello,
Firstly, I would like to give my apologies for how long it has taken to respond to your enquiry. We have suffered enormous problems with our electronic communications and have only just today regained access to this email address. All issues are now resolved however, and I am sending this message to all who have tried to contact us in the last few months.
SSAA Rocksberg branch has finally resolved all the legal issues regarding the construction of our range and are now in the process of sourcing quotes for the works required and are seeking the funding to complete the project.
As such, we will not be shooting at Rocksberg until works are completed . Please keep in contact with us so we can keep you up to date with progress.
Yours sincerely,
Jim Mason
Secretary
SSAA Rocksberg Branch Q61
Tillaan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 16 Feb 2018, 10:58 pm

Daddybang wrote:Seems they are loving making new rules for the sake of it.

Then again what else would you expect :unknown: :wtf: :thumbsdown:

How the F@#K do they expect to grow the sport with bullsh@t like that :thumbsdown:[/quote]

It’s about power.
If you want to ‘trigger’ them, ask about 5.7x28 ammunition and the dripping blood font on their signs.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 17 Feb 2018, 8:17 am

Tillaan wrote:I'm another one stuck on the north side with long drives to shoot anywhere.

I actually went to Belmont today and it wasn't too busy and didn't run into any issues (no one asked me to remove my bolt between rounds!)

But at $24 to shoot + 1 hour drive / tolls it ain't that friendly on the wallet!

I recently got this email back from SSAA Rocksberg thou which sounds a little hopefully (sent them an email some time ago)

Hello,
Firstly, I would like to give my apologies for how long it has taken to respond to your enquiry. We have suffered enormous problems with our electronic communications and have only just today regained access to this email address. All issues are now resolved however, and I am sending this message to all who have tried to contact us in the last few months.
SSAA Rocksberg branch has finally resolved all the legal issues regarding the construction of our range and are now in the process of sourcing quotes for the works required and are seeking the funding to complete the project.
As such, we will not be shooting at Rocksberg until works are completed . Please keep in contact with us so we can keep you up to date with progress.
Yours sincerely,
Jim Mason
Secretary
SSAA Rocksberg Branch Q61

im in nambour and rocksberg, looks like its an hour for me. If it going to be open everyday that would be awesome, but imbil is 45min north for me and its a very relaxed place to shoot. only downfall is only open 2 days a month :(
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 17 Feb 2018, 8:30 am

i can confirm with azza about taking a unlicensed people me and my brother use to take our dad he likes shooting the 44 mag lever gun and then one day they told us the licensed shooter has to sign in then also sign another piece of paper and they then have a large white magnet that they put your first initial and your full last name on it and you must stick it up for the RO's to see the unlicensed person has to wear a arm band or sticker on there shirt saying unlicensed shooter and when there shooting the licensed shooter must stand up behind them and watch them and when the licensed shooter wants to shoot the unlicensed shooter must stay behind the yellow line it kind of defeats the purpose of taking someone there because you only get to talk when your not shooting and you have to spot for yourself
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Feb 2018, 10:32 am

I never actually Liked Belmont but it was a means to an end. Might give Imbil a go when my licence arrives. Must admit it was right off my radar.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 17 Feb 2018, 5:15 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I never actually Liked Belmont but it was a means to an end. Might give Imbil a go when my licence arrives. Must admit it was right off my radar.

If your ever keen Bill, hit me up :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by burek » 17 Feb 2018, 7:20 pm

Rocksberg finally going live would be a dream come true.

Being on south side of Sunshine Coast, there's really no convenient range nearby. SSAA Sunshine Coast may be good but due to their operating hours not convenient at all (Wed & Sun).

I've been to Imbil and it is a very friendly atmosphere. Just keep in mind it's a bit "low tech" compared to Belmont. Crappy benches/seats, few barrels instead of benches but plenty of space on the side with no benches for off hand shooting or setting up a mat. When I went I was told, load one round at a time (like Belmont) but have heard from people that you can use full mags so I suspect maybe one round at a time until they get to know you.

The other one off most people's radar is Wattle Grove Park but yeah, hardly convenient even if on the Sunshine Coast, let alone coming from Brissie. :( Also very "low tech" like Imbil (benches are probably better tbh). It's literally a small shooting range on a guy's farm and you have to book ahead. Can set up targets up to 150m and, after that it's gas bottles and gongs up to 400m. I like it. It's just so off the beaten path :( Always a fun, no BS experience there though.
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Feb 2018, 7:55 pm

Mongrel wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:I never actually Liked Belmont but it was a means to an end. Might give Imbil a go when my licence arrives. Must admit it was right off my radar.

If your ever keen Bill, hit me up :)

Thanks Jamie. Gotta wait for when Carmel retires and I get more pension :) and of course, that pesky licence :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 15 Mar 2018, 10:00 am

Ripley is f*cken awesome BUT it is going through some crap at the moment that may be detrimental to the future of the range, and it is a LOT busier than it used to be. Great vibe but could definitely do with an update
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 15 Mar 2018, 12:03 pm

Mitch@Ripley wrote:Ripley is f*cken awesome BUT it is going through some crap at the moment that may be detrimental to the future of the range, and it is a LOT busier than it used to be. Great vibe but could definitely do with an update

What crap are they dealing with?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Mar 2018, 7:25 pm

andreweden wrote:
Mitch@Ripley wrote:Ripley is f*cken awesome BUT it is going through some crap at the moment that may be detrimental to the future of the range, and it is a LOT busier than it used to be. Great vibe but could definitely do with an update

What crap are they dealing with?

Should have gone to the AGM meeting decided it would be my first due to set "speculation" of meeting. Fair to say its a s#it fight. Personally not happy with the situation they are in or the out come to apealing said "terms" will be dealing with some rather ridged people. "Big Wigs"
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 15 Mar 2018, 7:43 pm

Ok. Still confused.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 15 Mar 2018, 9:01 pm

I couldn't make it to the most recent meeting (tuesday) what happened exactly?
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by drizo » 15 Mar 2018, 9:40 pm

What’s going on with Ripley?
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next