Wire cutting notches on back of knife

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Wire cutting notches on back of knife

Post by brisb » 24 Oct 2017, 7:28 pm

The notches on the back of this knife are 'wire cutters', but I have no idea how :unknown:

They're not sharp, I've seen them on other knives too but never how they're used.

How do you cut wire with this system?
Attachments
img-4473__76149.1448373974.jpg
img-4473__76149.1448373974.jpg (427.74 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Wire cutting notches on back of knife

Post by Gwion » 24 Oct 2017, 8:05 pm

Under tension, the wire will snap when jammed in the gap and bent. Or you can use it to friction cut the wire.

Practically useless IMO.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Oct 2017, 9:21 pm

I've seen rambo use one quite efficiency.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 25 Oct 2017, 6:45 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I've seen rambo use one quite efficiency.

Yep he's the only one who has it worked out!!! :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 25 Oct 2017, 6:55 am

It's what you get when you buy a 'tacticool' knife with aesthetic features that are 'tacticool' but not 'practicool'. Like that exposed bit of steel on the fore-finger notch; a little bit of hard use and that thing is going to get annoying fast and likely painful if you really have to persist with heavy use..... like in an emergency... when you need a practicool knife...

Sorry mate, not hanging it on you, just on knives that are all form and little function. I do like a tanto point, though. That thing would hake a half decent demolition chisel. :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Oct 2017, 7:46 am

It looks like an electricians knife with all the grooves on the sharp edge for stripping the insulation from wire
Member-Deleted

Post by Blackened » 02 Nov 2017, 12:31 pm

You put one of the notches over the wire, and work the knife left and right bending the wire at the notch.

Same as bending wire back and forth in your fingers, it thins, heats and eventually breaks.

Largely useless IMO too I must say. If you're working a property with fencing you'll have cutters. If you're out in the wilderness there aren't going to be fences.

On the odd chance you come across something it'd be quicker to jump over or go through it anyway. Who'd spend the time cutting one, really?

Most of these things IMO are to fill some special forces type fantasy. I don't have to silently infiltrate a rebel base very often so I don't see a need for myself :lol:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Nov 2017, 1:15 pm

I've used em to cut bone (when I was a kid) but never wire.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Nov 2017, 9:27 pm

That saw type edge is actually a saw every second tooth has a sharp pointy tip and the ones in between have a flat sharp tip
This in saws is called a cutter ( pointy ) and a raker ( flat ) the pointy cuts deep and the flat cuts and trims the saw cut to exit all saw dust and leave a clean
flat bottom saw cut then on the next thrust it all starts again
As for the rest of it yeah, don't know
Member-Deleted

Post by darwindingo » 02 Nov 2017, 11:29 pm

Blackened wrote:You put one of the notches over the wire, and work the knife left and right bending the wire at the notch.

Same as bending wire back and forth in your fingers, it thins, heats and eventually breaks.

Largely useless IMO too I must say. If you're working a property with fencing you'll have cutters. If you're out in the wilderness there aren't going to be fences.

On the odd chance you come across something it'd be quicker to jump over or go through it anyway. Who'd spend the time cutting one, really?

Most of these things IMO are to fill some special forces type fantasy. I don't have to silently infiltrate a rebel base very often so I don't see a need for myself :lol:

I think that about sums it up :lol:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 04 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm

darwindingo wrote:I think that about sums it up :lol:

:drinks:

Yep... :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lorgar » 06 Nov 2017, 1:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I've used em to cut bone (when I was a kid) but never wire.

Must take a while?

I have a hatchet in the car for trips, always found that far easier/faster.

Depending on the bone, even easier sometimes to give it a chop or two to create a weak point then just stomp it to break it at that point.

Good for halving a shank for the dogs or that kind of thing.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 09 Feb 2018, 10:42 pm

Have an ak bayonet, that uses the scabbard and a notch on the back of a blade as well as a pivot point on the side of the blade, insulated wire-cutters in like 2 seconds
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 13 Feb 2018, 1:20 pm

Blackened wrote:Largely useless IMO too I must say. If you're working a property with fencing you'll have cutters. If you're out in the wilderness there aren't going to be fences.

Plus the fence could belong to someone and you'd be a d**khead to cut someone elses fence. Hop over :thumbsup:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Hugh » 25 Feb 2018, 10:47 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I've seen rambo use one quite efficiency.

Was that before or after he shot an armored helicopter out of the sky with a bow and arrow :sarcasm:
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation