Wheeler fat wrench

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Wheeler fat wrench

Post by flashman » 11 Feb 2018, 4:35 am

Hi all , finally got one , wheeler fat wrench, (digital) what a top piece of equipment, when I checked the rings and mounts who under torqued they were , going to chech the action screws ,but mana factor information is coming up short , any suggestions :unknown:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Wheeler fat wrench

Post by pomemax » 11 Feb 2018, 9:11 am

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 11 Feb 2018, 12:37 pm

Pillar bedded? Timer or synthetic stock?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wombat » 11 Feb 2018, 12:40 pm

That pdf is great for general engineering recommendations. Some firearm torque values are specific and vary from the norm. Some action screws have a range of suitable torque values that can be used to tune the individual rifle. Pillar bedding for example will alter the required torque.
Maybe some more information on what you are working on will get some specific help.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 11 Feb 2018, 1:10 pm

Timber stock with out pillars i do at around 35 inch pounds on a centerfire. On a rim fire i tune the torque between 15 and 25 inch pounds. 25 is even getting a bit too much. My t-bolt likes 22"lb front and 17 at the back. The old Sportco is more like 13 & 17.
My centerfires are pillar and full action bedded and i crank them to 55"lb.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by flashman » 11 Feb 2018, 1:55 pm

Hi thanks of the information ,struck a problem ,the HEX bits that came with the kit ,wont fit the hex heads in the stock ,scope rings spot on ,will have hunt down 3/32 hex bit from some where ,ok such is life ....... : )
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 12 Feb 2018, 11:19 am

All my stocks are synthetic , don’t cry when I scratch a stock :lol:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 13 Feb 2018, 1:18 pm

flashman wrote:All my stocks are synthetic , don’t cry when I scratch a stock :lol:

There's some truth in that.

It's hard not to be a little precious when you get a real beauty bit of timber with a deep stain.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by flashman » 14 Feb 2018, 8:34 am

Don’t get me wrong ,I loooove wood all my gats get well used , just for practical reasons synthetics stock the go ..
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 14 Feb 2018, 8:47 am

Are these torque wrenches any good? Got quoted $600 for a 1/4 inch one that'll go down to a few nm :o
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by flashman » 15 Feb 2018, 10:04 am

Yes there not bad at all , done all my gats and was dumbfounded by how far out every thing was ,so down to the range for a test , word of warning , once your mates know u have one look out :mrgreen:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 15 Feb 2018, 1:02 pm

BBJ wrote:It's hard not to be a little precious when you get a real beauty bit of timber with a deep stain.

One theory for that is when you get something nice scuff it straight away then it's done and you don't have to worry about it :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by flashman » 15 Feb 2018, 7:40 pm

So true..... :clap:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing