Left Handers

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Left Handers

Post by Joffa » 12 Mar 2018, 9:55 am

Hi guys,

Left handers have a slight disadvantage when it comes to accessing firearms, if they want specific left handed models.
I can shoot a right handed rifle left handed no problem, but it causes some “safety concerns” and disadvantage when at a range, by using your forehand to work the bolt on a rifle opposed to trigger hand especially in competition settings where there might be time constraints in 3P for example.
For this reason I’m asking any left handers, what firearms they’ve had that they’d recommend and any that they’ve had that they wouldn’t!
Fire away!
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Left Handers

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Mar 2018, 10:24 am

Hay Joffa, welcome to the Lefty club and yes it's a bit of a struggle at times. The big problem for me with R.H. B.A. rifles is the location of the safety catch; it's set up for R.H. shooters.

With the centre fire for hunting, I've chosen a Tikka but there are other L.H. actions available, just depends on the budget... :)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 12 Mar 2018, 10:27 am

Joffa wrote:Hi guys,

Left handers have a slight disadvantage when it comes to accessing firearms, if they want specific left handed models.
I can shoot a right handed rifle left handed no problem, but it causes some “safety concerns” and disadvantage when at a range, by using your forehand to work the bolt on a rifle opposed to trigger hand especially in competition settings where there might be time constraints in 3P for example.
For this reason I’m asking any left handers, what firearms they’ve had that they’d recommend and any that they’ve had that they wouldn’t!
Fire away!

My long time shooting partner is a lefty, and he has a left-handed cz 527 american chambered in 204 ruger. They have that nice set-trigger built on a controlled mauser-style action. Out of curiosity, I've done a lot of load development for it, ranging from Trail Boss right through to 2206 mid-burn. It could be that the 204 is just an inherently accurate cartridge, but that rifle is just superb and exceptionally accurate. Literally zero complaints.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 12 Mar 2018, 10:34 am

Leftie here. I have a Lithgow Crossover LA101 in LH config. It is the only rifle in the safe that''s left handed.

Sure i am a little disadvantaged, but i have never been pulled up for a safety issue or caused a concern. I dont use my fore end arm to work the bolt, My dad taught me when i was a kid, to roll the rifle to the left while being down range and reach over with me shooting hand. Have been doing that for 30+ years,.

Safety's are the biggest pain the butt to use, however when i am on the farm, i leave the rifle with the mag loaded and bolt closed.. I only load a round when i am ready to take a shot. No need for safeties then.

I bought the LA101 because it was lefthanded and thought i really need a leftie rifle.. Would i buy another one, probably not..

I also shoot pistols and you get the same problem with mag releases, slide releases etc. You just learn to deal with it and look like a numpty :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 12 Mar 2018, 10:50 am

I am a natural right hander but shoot leftie due to being born blind in the right eye and I'm like Wylie and roll the rifle on my bolts(all three right handed bolts) . I reckon lever actions are the left handed hunters best friend. :drinks:
Ps never used a pump but figure they'd be just as good as the levers. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 12 Mar 2018, 11:02 am

savage and ruger make the most left handed guns here in the states
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2018, 11:21 am

Browning t-bolt lefty 22lr. Only because the Lithgows weren't available in a lefty at the time. It's a nice rifle but as you may read elsewhere, the trigger is a weakness. I am planning on sending the trigger to be worked.

Zastava in 223rem. Also planning to get the trigger worked. It's not too bad but i want all my triggers as close to the same as i can get them. The action isn't the smoothest but i have improved it with a little work.

If you plan shooting prone or off the bench then a right handed action is actually pretty good for lefties in those situations.

As mentioned, Tikka, Ruger, Savage all put out lefties. Sako also do a lefty hunter weight rifle.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by PaddyT » 12 Mar 2018, 1:30 pm

Tikka lite 223 left and a Lithgow LA 101on its way - , i like to watch right handers use a left handed rifle when they borrow mine - kinky I know!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 12 Mar 2018, 3:51 pm

While not being a lefty myself, I am the father of a dextrously challenged youngster. He had a go at shooing R/H but found it too uncomfortable and it wasn't the safest option so I didn't continue to push him. Admittedly there's an advantage on follow up shots in that you don't need to take your strong hand off the grip to cycle the action. I ordered a L/H LA101 for him last October and it was always 2 weeks away so after 4 months I bought him the Savage Mk.II BTVLSS which was $500 cheaper and groups 5 shots into 10c @ 50m with cheap CCI ammo. I tried shooting it right handed and while I find the L/H action comfortable, the thumbhole stock rules it out for me :(
He's also got a Henry L/A 22LR which is very comfortable for the both of use to use but we don't use it at the range due to the loading of the tube magazine not being the most friendly when shooting off a bench.

Lefty using Lithgow LA101 R/H 22Mag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-ALjRI0_4

Lefty using a Savage L/H 22LR - Good trigger control, didn't flinch on the misfire (dad slipped a snap cap into the mag to test him).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_I_VT2r1g
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Mar 2018, 3:55 pm

Lefty using the LA101 - :crazy: Don't palm the bolt and stock into shoulder......
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 12 Mar 2018, 4:17 pm

Funny about what you say about speed as a lot of right hand shooters order left port left bolt actions to increase speed and like Brett said it means they never let go of the rifle with the strong hand finger on the trigger and never lift their head from the scope. Admittedly though they have right hand or ambidextrous type stocks.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by FliesAreAnnoying » 12 Mar 2018, 4:30 pm

Can't go wrong with a left handed tikka t3x
What do you call a fly with no wings?

A walk
FliesAreAnnoying
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by knowsnothin » 12 Mar 2018, 4:50 pm

blaser r8.
swap between left and right bolt housings as required.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 12 Mar 2018, 4:59 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Lefty using the LA101 - :crazy: Don't palm the bolt and stock into shoulder......

Young fella wouldn't get a full scope if he had the stock in the shoulder!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 12 Mar 2018, 5:14 pm

Daddybang wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:Lefty using the LA101 - :crazy: Don't palm the bolt and stock into shoulder......

Young fella wouldn't get a full scope if he had the stock in the shoulder!! :lol: :drinks:

Yep....LOP is an issue with the boy as he has to have the stock under his arm in order to reach the trigger...He'll grow into it :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 12 Mar 2018, 5:20 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

Yep....LOP is an issue with the boy as he has to have the stock under his arm in order to reach the trigger...He'll grow into it :D

As long as he grows into it before he gets behind dads fiddy he'll be fine :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 12 Mar 2018, 5:28 pm

Daddybang wrote:
brett1868 wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

As long as he grows into it before he gets behind dads fiddy he'll be fine :lol: :drinks:

Not to go too off thread but the boy is entered into this years FCSA 1000yd 50 Cal Australian Titles in Warracknabeal in just over a months time. If he can maintain the same form as he does on the 22 then he's in with a solid chance of taking out the juniors division. The funniest thing is that he weighs 27kg and the rifle is 28.5kg.... :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2018, 5:32 pm

Setting up a catchers net for him, Brett? :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 12 Mar 2018, 5:35 pm

That's awesome brett..best of luck to him!! :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimmyS » 12 Mar 2018, 7:20 pm

I'd recommend a Zastava M70 in 308.

They come in left hand, decent finish, nice woodwork, raised comb, commercial, non - military Mauser action, which is virtually the same as the original.

And I picked mine up new for $990, an absolute steal. My favourite purchase so far.
Though, I asked the shop if they could get anymore in, but apparently the supplier they went through stopped supplying them to AUS, but who knows.
Ask around.

To find a well made, left hand, mauser bolt action, 308 new, for under $1000 is a f***ing ace buy. Shoots accurate as well.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Joffa » 12 Mar 2018, 8:22 pm

Thanks for the reply’s

I’m looking to order a 22 this week, I’m now stuck between ordering a CZ or a Lithgow.
Although I think I’m heavily leaning towards the Lithgow
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by JimmyS » 12 Mar 2018, 9:23 pm

Lithgow is the true blue option :drinks:
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 13 Mar 2018, 8:22 am

Lithgow is the better option far more likely to shoot IMHO
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by PaddyT » 13 Mar 2018, 9:16 am

I have a Lithgow lefty on order (since Jan 28th) , have been told that it will be in at the end of the month- apparently OSA have a Titanium model in stock but i wanted the black see how you go!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Mar 2018, 1:02 pm

Ruger has made the perfect rifle that does not discriminate against the left handed heathen shooters, the #1. And it is available in some versatile caliber so such as the 450/400 3 inch Jeffery, which comes highly recommended.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by slickncghia » 13 Mar 2018, 1:05 pm

I'm a fan of Ruger and they offer allot of their rifles in left hand. Have a lefty American. Great hunting rifle

Savage also offer a fair few in left handed

I have 2 left and 1 right. The right just because I couldn't find a 17hornet in left at all and this one jumped up for the right price new. plus is only used off bipod.
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Joffa » 13 Mar 2018, 1:37 pm

Cool I’ve ordered a Lithgow, synthetic stock with titanium barrel!

Can not wait. Although will be a month until they’re back in stock!

Now to find the bigger calibers and hand guns!
Probably go with a tikka, had one before it was great.
And want a CZ shadow 2, they look decent for left handed use, reversible mag release and safety.
Can’t believe I waited so long to get back into shooting, so excited!!
Last edited by Joffa on 13 Mar 2018, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wylie27 » 13 Mar 2018, 2:30 pm

Have a shadow 2 and a leftie, only thing not ambi is the slide release, not a big issue :) i love my shadow
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles