Howa hogue stock replacement

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Howa hogue stock replacement

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 11 Mar 2018, 3:35 pm

Hi all
Anyone replaced their synthetic stock and gained better accuracy?
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Howa hogue stock replacement

Post by Gwion » 11 Mar 2018, 3:50 pm

Yes. You can also bed and stabilise the Hogue stock.
Boyds are a popular replacement but i believe you can also buy a timber Howas stock as well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by marksman » 11 Mar 2018, 4:30 pm

yep :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Mar 2018, 5:51 pm

Another option is the Hogue full length bedding block which is far better than the pillar bedded stock.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 11 Mar 2018, 8:01 pm

Bell & Carlson is what i went to
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by crows2332 » 13 Mar 2018, 1:22 pm

Hey Mitch,
Which Bell and Carlson did you go to?
I was looking at this one:

B&C Target/Competition. Not cheap.

https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/BC2 ... pageno%3d1
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Mitch » 13 Mar 2018, 2:26 pm

Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by crows2332 » 13 Mar 2018, 3:10 pm

Thanks Mitch. Good choice.
The B&C range for the howa 1500, seems to be rock solid.

For the op, haven't replaced the hogue stock yet, but off a bipod, it's definitely inconsistent.
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Gwion » 13 Mar 2018, 4:07 pm

The GRS Synthetic stocks are about $200 cheaper than the B&C. I'd go for one tomorrow if they did them in a left hand grip....
Still trying to save for the Hybrid or similar in a left hand grip inlet for Howa.... then it's on like Donkey Kong!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Mar 2018, 5:45 pm

I put an XLR chassis on my 1500.
Well worth the price.
Attachments
rsz_img_1370 (1).jpg
rsz_img_1370 (1).jpg (325.67 KiB) Viewed 10494 times
Chassis_Element_Tactical_Lite_White1200x350.png
Chassis_Element_Tactical_Lite_White1200x350.png (117.71 KiB) Viewed 10497 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 13 Mar 2018, 7:06 pm

Hey, brought the same stock second hand in as new condition, haven't shot it yet but if feels good to handle. Got it for the same price as a GRS berserk so am stoked with it.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 14 Mar 2018, 4:00 am

Son in laws Howa, original Hogue stock reproduced in Bamboo.
Attachments
078.JPG
078.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 10473 times
076.JPG
076.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 10473 times
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TBJ » 15 Mar 2018, 11:13 am

as people have said you can accurize the Hogue stock by bedding it and stabilize it, I know you can buy a walnut howa stock although I've heard they're expensive for what they are, I've used Boyds of which are excellent for the price of them, I've also used B+C's they're awesome, and have an aluminium bedding block, I've heard good things about Hatchers Stocks if you don't mind finishing them yourself, I'm not a huge fan of chassis but that's another option if you do like them.
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wannabustbunnies » 16 Mar 2018, 8:32 pm

I have the Bell & Carlson Target /Competition stock and quite like it. I prefer it over the Varmint version as the foreend isn't so chunky and is still nice to hold.
I just bought the Howa barrelled action so can't compare it against the Hogue but from what I have heard they do flex a fair bit with a bipod attached.
If this style/look is what you like maybe check out the new KRG Bravo. It has the chassis forend and the butt is shaped liked the B&C with adjustable cheekpiece. It does feel alot cheaper and plasticky/hollow though compared to mine
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 17 Mar 2018, 9:02 am

Thanks for all the advice - might look at a B& C
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 17 Mar 2018, 12:24 pm

Those bamboo stocks by Trekkin look the goods!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Mar 2018, 2:37 pm

Gwion wrote:Those bamboo stocks by Trekkin look the goods!!!

Caught my eye too. Where do you get them?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 17 Mar 2018, 3:46 pm

Have a closer look at his signature and google it. you might find a useful quality supplier.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 17 Mar 2018, 10:27 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Gwion wrote:Those bamboo stocks by Trekkin look the goods!!!

Caught my eye too. Where do you get them?

PM Trekkin.
He has the gear to copy pretty much any stock and inletting. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wannabustbunnies » 18 Mar 2018, 8:15 pm

There is a GRS Berserk on usedguns for $400 if that takes your fancy. I have used a mates 260 Tikka CTR in a Berserk stock and it is very comfortable to shoot from prone.
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Mar 2018, 9:28 am

trekin wrote:Son in laws Howa, original Hogue stock reproduced in Bamboo.

Very nice Trekin, well done mate. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 72Settlers » 05 Nov 2019, 10:33 am

Hi Trekin
I know this is an very old post, but can you pm me, interested in the bamboo howa stock.

Cheers
72Settlers
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wapiti » 03 Dec 2019, 7:51 am

Hi all,

I put a Howa Mini in a Boyds laminated stock I got mail order, "Shady camo" I think it was. Brown and grey anyway.

It fitted straight in without any mods and seemed to improve consistency and felt unreal compared to the plastic one supplied, but it wasn't a very tight fit so I bedded it in, including the chamber portion of the barrel in Devcon.
That stuff is dark grey so hides well with the stock colour.

Anyway it's an option that is pretty cheap at $299.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Dec 2019, 12:38 pm

I remember buying my Boyds Stocks for around $120 delivered from the US - even got an uninletted thumbhole stock for $59 I think it was, can't remember if that included postage or not now. :D

I like their stocks, I think I own around 6 or 7 now, for the money they are good value I reckon. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scoot » 03 Dec 2019, 12:49 pm

I got a boys thumbhole, very nice for the money. I had to bed the bottom mag plate since it was distorting a bit when torqueing up the screws. Other than that my only gripe is the long stretch to the trigger when your hand is firm in the thumbhole.
Maybe it's just my small carnie hands :huh:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Dec 2019, 4:23 pm

I had to take the file to my thumbhole stock because it did not fit my little hands it is just a cheap laminate stock so go for it. I think it is a very well designed stock and the only downside is it is a bit slippery.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 02 Jan 2020, 10:07 pm

A very relevant thread ..
I have owned many howas and have never faulted the Hogue over moulded stock with the alloy pillars - for $100 they are an ideal stock for the $$ and for a hunting rifle they are best value out there in a hunting stock.
I recently bought a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 243 win with the weatherby synthetic stock - which doesnt let the barrel free-float at all. Researching this on the net, especially on the Weatherby nation website, opinions are varied as to weather or not the barrel on the Vanguard S2 should be left as is (non free floated) or free-floated. Lots of folk say leave it as is if it shoots .......and others say the opposite.
I personally have all my rifles barrels free-floating and have never had an issue. With the Weatherby Vanguard S2 i decided to source a hogue replacement stock and fit that to the rifle - and set the original stock aside. I know that lots of folk say there is too much flex in the hogue fore end and this could be due to folks using the stock for prone shooting with a bipod - and possibly the fore-end flexing and touching the barrel. However, for a general hunting rifle the hogue stock is as good as you ever need.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jan 2020, 3:14 am

solarpak wrote:A very relevant thread ..
I have owned many howas and have never faulted the Hogue over moulded stock with the alloy pillars - for $100 they are an ideal stock for the $$ and for a hunting rifle they are best value out there in a hunting stock.
I recently bought a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 243 win with the weatherby synthetic stock - which doesnt let the barrel free-float at all. Researching this on the net, especially on the Weatherby nation website, opinions are varied as to weather or not the barrel on the Vanguard S2 should be left as is (non free floated) or free-floated. Lots of folk say leave it as is if it shoots .......and others say the opposite.
I personally have all my rifles barrels free-floating and have never had an issue. With the Weatherby Vanguard S2 i decided to source a hogue replacement stock and fit that to the rifle - and set the original stock aside. I know that lots of folk say there is too much flex in the hogue fore end and this could be due to folks using the stock for prone shooting with a bipod - and possibly the fore-end flexing and touching the barrel. However, for a general hunting rifle the hogue stock is as good as you ever need.

C.

True enough mate, for a hunting stock it is fine and you are correct its when its used in conjunction with a bipod that it can be a bit so so. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by solarpak » 05 Jan 2020, 9:25 am

The Hogue with the alloy pillars certainly is a good stock for the coin - as is the Boyds laminate. My experience with the Boyds laminate is that when the stock is new and fitted onto a rifle, it seems to 'bed in' quite well. However take it off that rifle and put it on another and you can get some issues with the action to stock fit, especially when torquing up the action screws. A Boyds laminate i had a while ago i actually has glass bedded and alloy pillars fitted into- this work cost the same as the stock itself but i could transfer this stock onto any Howa Short Action and it would be spot on.

If i had to buy an aftermarket stock these days and money wasn't an object - it would be either a McMillan or Manners. HS Precision is another candidate too.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 05 Jan 2020, 11:19 am

I ended up getting a Bell and Carlson - very happy. Quality gear - think it has a Pachmyer recoil pad and VERY comfortable to shoot off bench.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Gunsmithing