Alternatives to Belmont QLD

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Alternatives to Belmont QLD

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Mar 2018, 10:58 pm

Watch this space all im going to say

The Gestapo have eyes everywhere best not to poke the beast...

Belmont has a uncertain future also. It looks more dia than Ripley
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by drizo » 15 Mar 2018, 11:12 pm

Don’t be all mysterious and secretive, if you know somethings up share with the community.
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Mar 2018, 11:23 pm

The lease for the belmont range is meant to be running out soon and hasnt been renewed. And may be gone as soon as the end of the Gold coast games
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by drizo » 15 Mar 2018, 11:25 pm

Ah okay I just had a read on their Facebook page about the state trying to take over Ripley and make it private. Something along those lines.
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 16 Mar 2018, 7:26 am

I thought SSAA owned Ripley?
Or are we talking about the branch having the lease to operate on behalf of SSAA?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 16 Mar 2018, 8:35 am

Isn't Belmont run by a private company on behalf of the SSAA?
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 16 Mar 2018, 12:12 pm

Yep
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Mar 2018, 3:30 pm

i love ripley, although it is a LOT busier due to people p@ssed of with belmont. why does ego's and politics have to ruin things for the grass roots social sporting shooters that make up the bulk of ssaa membership ? :problem: :x :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 16 Mar 2018, 8:25 pm

Honestly still in the dark as to what is going on. Can we get a fact based appraisal without reference to the gestapo etc?
Even the fb page is clear as mud.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 18 Mar 2018, 4:47 pm

What I have managed to find out is:
SSAA Qld own it and the insurance etc that allow it to operate.
SSAA Ipswich operate it and have not had to pay rent for 30 odd years.

SSAA QLD want to set some rules around how their range is run and want some rent or will not allow SSAA Ipswich to run it.

That is all that I can extract as fact. The rest seems to be a bunch of dick measuring and seeing who can piss further up the wall on both sides of the argument.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2018, 5:37 pm

heard some talk out there this afternoon. ya pretty well on the mark from what i heard andreweden. not happy about politics and power play upsetting my " easy going range in the country" ipswich locals built that range and the belmont knobs are trying to take over. that's the vibe i get. does that mean if i do RO duties i gotta start yelling abuse at people like at belmont ? :sarcasm:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 18 Mar 2018, 6:12 pm

Read the firring rights agreement seems like a rather one sided pissing contest to me.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2018, 6:29 pm

can you elaborate please azza ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 18 Mar 2018, 6:36 pm

If someone made the agreement available, then maybe it could be read.

I would have thought that the owners of the range have a certain right to say how the place is run though, especially if they are responsible for the insurance.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Art Vandelay » 18 Mar 2018, 7:25 pm

I’d be interested if anyone has any more information. Have emailed and asked for a copy of the minutes from the last meeting.
Art Vandelay
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2018, 7:43 pm

Art Vandelay ? are you in latex ? do you know a Mr pennypacker :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 18 Mar 2018, 9:10 pm

If Belmont mob take over that seals me not going there in future.
Have asked a few places for any info on the effects as a visitor to the range not a member or if I was looking to join what could be changing and have been ignored by all.
Comical being ignored as that attitude and reason was part of why I have never joined SSAA in the 1st place after my dealings with Belmont.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 18 Mar 2018, 9:22 pm

My understanding so far is SSAA Ipswich will still run the place if they choose to.
But as far as Belmont people turning up, they already can, both are SSAA ranges.
Seems a lot of people are bellyaching about what happens in 5 years if/when Belmont closes.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 18 Mar 2018, 9:56 pm

andreweden wrote:My understanding so far is SSAA Ipswich will still run the place if they choose to.
But as far as Belmont people turning up, they already can, both are SSAA ranges.
Seems a lot of people are bellyaching about what happens in 5 years if/when Belmont closes.

Yes the same crew can run the place however in the terms SSAA QLD can remove and replace people as per there discretion.

And also to clear up its a 3 year contract
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 18 Mar 2018, 10:14 pm

My point was Belmont closing has nothing to do with it.
Ipswich doesn’t own the range, not sure what they expected to happen? Have the range gifted to them to do what they want with?
I just can’t see how all this us/them stuff is going to do anything other than end in tears. And both sides blaming that on the other side.

And remember, this is all people from the same organisation......no one else to blame.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 18 Mar 2018, 10:23 pm

SSAA " Days of our lives ". How about championing gun owners rights for a change. F*ck I hate the SSAA. Weak as piss.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 18 Mar 2018, 11:43 pm

Think I will just stick to joining QMRC instead for the extra matches like I had started to look at. Will keep Ripley trips to guest visit only, too much politics it seems :lol:
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Art Vandelay » 19 Mar 2018, 2:01 pm

bigrich wrote:Art Vandelay ? are you in latex ? do you know a Mr pennypacker :lol: :lol: :lol:

Importer/exporter of latex!

Ah yes, Mr Pennypacker, the industrialist, philanthropist and bicyclist!

Back on topic - it would be helpful if agendas and minutes were available online for those who are unable to attend meetings. I can’t see that they really?
Last edited by Art Vandelay on 19 Mar 2018, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Vandelay
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Mar 2018, 4:05 pm

andreweden wrote:My point was Belmont closing has nothing to do with it.
Ipswich doesn’t own the range, not sure what they expected to happen? Have the range gifted to them to do what they want with?
I just can’t see how all this us/them stuff is going to do anything other than end in tears. And both sides blaming that on the other side.

And remember, this is all people from the same organisation......no one else to blame.

really freakin sad. maybe i should join another rifle club....... :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Art Vandelay » 19 Mar 2018, 7:31 pm

As I understand it, during ceasefires:
1. At Belmont - rifles are left on benches facing down range;
2. At Ripley - rifles are placed in racks behind benches (standing vertically)

This means that at Belmont when everyone is out checking their targets, they are walking directly in front of a number of rifles pointed in their direction. This seems to offend two of the golden rules - always keep your rifle pointed in a safe direction, and always assume it is loaded.

Am I missing something?

PS this isn’t a Belmont vs Ipswich post - what I say about the above two ranges applies equally to another other range where the same thing occurs.
Art Vandelay
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 20 Mar 2018, 2:44 pm

I have seen the same thing at two different SSAA ranges. The one that leaves rifles pointed down range is very strict that the barrel never comes behind the firing line also before the cease fir all bolts are opened and a flag is put in. There is also a line behind the rifles that everyone must move behind and no one is permitted in front of that line near a rifle until everyone is clear from the range.
The other just asks that you open the bolt and place the rifle in the rack behind you.
I actually think the first option is the safer especially because of the type of people that visit the range. There are many first time shooters many non licensed shooters ect. I feel there would be more of a risk if the rifle muzzle was allowed to be pointed in any old direction without first being cleared by another person while the riffle muzzle is still forward of the firing line. which doesn't happen at the ranges where the rifles are put behind the shooters.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Mitch » 20 Mar 2018, 3:22 pm

At mine in CQ they get racked. When ready to rack you must eject magazine if it has one, and bolt.must be open. Rifle to be checked by RO before being placed in rack. Bolt stays open while in rack

No rifles to be handled during a ceasefire
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 3:40 pm

no gun bags / cases at ripley as well. you carry the firearm in with the action open or bolt out. i beleive that is opposite to belmont as well. me personally i like ripleys rules. people who are new there leave the rifles on their bench , but a polite explaination is all that's needed. the only thing about ripley that people do that peeves me is to leave target boards out when they leave. i'm normally there at the end and bring 'em in, but it is a bit rude.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 20 Mar 2018, 6:35 pm

The VRA ranges are very different. You never have a bolt in the rifle unless it is on the firing line pointing at the target. Before you get up you remove your bolt then bring the rifle back to the scorer or check scorer always keeping the muzzle facing forwards and normally up. The checker doesn't just check that the bolt is removed but has to look down the barrel then calls it clear. The shoot then removes the rifle from the mound keeping the muzzle facing down. The rifle can be carried anywhere or put down back from the firing line / mound and facing anywhere but towards the targets. That last bit is a bit strange.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 6:49 pm

sounds like common sense to me .i normally store/transport my rifles with the bolts in cheap but sturdy plastic containers from bunnings . makes the fuzz happy if they check you out too ,good safety at ranges is important for the image of our sport/hobby ( obsession ? ) don't want to give any lefty anti's anything to cry about
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges