Alternatives to Belmont QLD

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Alternatives to Belmont QLD

Post by sungazer » 20 Mar 2018, 7:01 pm

It is all common sense stuff once you learn it and get into the routine. Its is a procedure you need to learn though. Also although the Range Officer is in overall charge. (many shooters also qualified RO's) Safety is a shared responsibility and if a mistake is made anyone will stop and comment on what is wrong in a way that the person in the wrong is not offended and the person pulling them up is not an officious safety nut. It is a genuine shared buddy system if you like. I mean we have guys that are 85 they can need some help sometimes and we have all got up off the mound when flustered by something and not removed the bolt first. The scorer who is just a meter from you politely just gives you a reminder.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 20 Mar 2018, 7:48 pm

that's precicley the freindly understanding attitude that prevails at ripley which is why i love going there. shame your in vic mate,you'd fit right in ! but i do get down to vic once in a while to visit relatives around laurimar way
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by perentie » 26 Mar 2018, 7:30 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:The lease for the belmont range is meant to be running out soon and hasnt been renewed. And may be gone as soon as the end of the Gold coast games

I gather you are all referring to the SSAA side of the Belmont complex.
The Queensland Rifle Assn side is bigger and goes back to 1000 yds.
I shot in the World Creedmoor blackpowder match there in 2006. Awesome range.
By Belmont closing do you mean both sides or just the SSAA side?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Mar 2018, 12:14 pm

Art Vandelay: just to clarify a few points from above -

!/ At Belmont, depends on which range you are shooting on. For instance, on the "big" range (600yd ?), ie the right hand one, upon the cease fire sounding all firearms are placed on the bench, bolts/actions open and all personal move back behind the yellow line. The Range Office then moves along and physical checks each firearm and the all clear is given. Shooters are then able to move forward to change/inspect targets etc. BUT NO personal are allowed on the bench side of the yellow line, touch or handle firearms in any way.
2/ On the "25yd range", ie the left hand range there are racks for firearms to be stored in and upon the cease fire being sounded - no benches present, shooting is from the standing, kneeling etc positions actions are broken, bolts open, firearms racked and similar procedure to above then applies..

Cheers, :welcome:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Art Vandelay » 27 Mar 2018, 1:35 pm

Thank you for the explanation
Art Vandelay
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marneth » 03 Jun 2018, 10:26 am

If you have a 223 or 308 you can shoot at the Duncan range in the Belmont complex. You would have to join one of the many clubs there. They shoot prone out to 1000 yards every Saturday from 12 noon. You shoot 2 sets of rounds (1 of 2 sighters + 10 rounds and 1 of 2 sightere + 11 rounds) You take.your turn with the members in your chosen club. It's F class shooting and very popular and extremely friendly.
marneth
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Jun 2018, 5:15 pm

Yes, Marmeth, there are many, many ranges at Belmont including pistol, air rifle and air pistol and shotgun. Actually, I am surprised at the size and different disciplines available within the Belmont complex.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Jul 2018, 10:46 am

Do anyone shoot or have shot at Belmont in the "Combined Services" held on the 2nd Sunday of each month? Interested.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 12 Jul 2018, 6:18 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Do anyone shoot or have shot at Belmont in the "Combined Services" held on the 2nd Sunday of each month? Interested.

i personally dont but ive seen them do it a couple times looks like a lot of fun im currently shooting in the 300m flyshoot there though.
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Belmont CSD

Post by KaptainM » 13 Jul 2018, 12:07 am

Hi RoginaJack,

I have been shooting Combined services at Belmont for the last 4 years. What would you like to know? I have also participated in a few State combined service shoots as well. Very easy going bunch off guys. We only shoot out to 200 meters at Belmont and not 300 meters. The comp usually lasts about two hours from setting up to packing up. Sometimes less as it is normally 1 detail. I have started asking around to try and organise a 22/310 cadet comp as well after the main shoot.

I normally use a 303 but drag the M44 out when shooting along side a mate. It tends to put them off a little.
KaptainM
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 13 Jul 2018, 3:51 pm

Thanks KaptainM,,

I was interested in it and thought of giving it a go. Not sure if 22 or 303 or 30-06. What rifles are being used there?

Missed getting their last Sunday - traffic on the M1was not good.

Any other advise or suggestions?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Toolnup » 31 Jul 2018, 6:50 pm

Does anyone know what sort of range hours QMRC have?

Are they open anytime or only for the designated shoots as per their calendar?

I'm ok with having to do a few comps per year for licensing purposes but I would like a club that I am able to have both a pistol and rifle shoot when I please.
Toolnup
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 08 Jul 2019, 9:52 pm

andreweden wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Seems they are loving making new rules for the sake of it.

Then again what else would you expect :unknown: :wtf: :thumbsdown:

How the F@#K do they expect to grow the sport with bullsh@t like that :thumbsdown:

It’s about power.
If you want to ‘trigger’ them, ask about 5.7x28 ammunition and the dripping blood font on their signs.[/quote]

??? Care to elaborate
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 09 Jul 2019, 9:25 pm

Well bugger me, I've shot at Belmont several times and haven't had any problems or run into "remove bolt, drop mag" stuff.

Next time I'm at Belmont, I'll keep a eye out for the blood dripping signs - never noticed them before.

It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive each way for me too, on a good day!
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 10 Jul 2019, 12:42 am

RoginaJack wrote:Well bugger me, I've shot at Belmont several times and haven't had any problems or run into "remove bolt, drop mag" stuff.

Next time I'm at Belmont, I'll keep a eye out for the blood dripping signs - never noticed them before.

It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive each way for me too, on a good day!

Well, bugger me. Safety first at any range I have ever been up to shooting in National Competition the rule after "Cease Fire" is "Remove Bolts" "Step back behind the line" "Range Clear, Target Crew Move Forward"... If you are allowed to have a Magazine in the firearm then remove magazine is typical of anything that is not a single shot firearm.

If the target crew and/or any person is out on the range and you step over that yellow line to your firearm then you'll get rapped on the knuckles yet alone turfed off the range.

Never been to Belmont but these days it looks like a brilliant facility to use.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 10 Jul 2019, 7:46 am

Nice 1000 yd range at Wondai. Its QRA but used by SSAA and Queensland Shooters Union.
Another at Kilkivan and Biggenden but getting a bit far from Brisbane but OK for northern shooters.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges