Show us your Rimfire Groups!

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Show us your Rimfire Groups!

Post by anthillinside » 10 Feb 2018, 3:18 pm

My best in 2017
Best 2017.jpg
A good set
Best 2017.jpg (118.03 KiB) Viewed 8490 times

Best of the best
Group 3.jpg
Wish I could do that every time.
Group 3.jpg (88.5 KiB) Viewed 8490 times
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 11 Feb 2018, 1:15 pm

Noice :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 Feb 2018, 5:59 pm

My son shot this a month ago using my Lithgow 22Mag and CCI ammo at a distance of 50m. He's a lefty shooting a r/H rifle and due to his size the butt stock is under his arm. Not a bad effort from the young fella, since then I've bought him a L/H 22LR and he's only getting better....

IMG_4079.jpg
IMG_4079.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 8420 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 15 Feb 2018, 6:10 pm

brett1868 wrote:My son shot this a month ago using my Lithgow 22Mag and CCI ammo at a distance of 50m. He's a lefty shooting a r/H rifle and due to his size the butt stock is under his arm. Not a bad effort from the young fella, since then I've bought him a L/H 22LR and he's only getting better....

IMG_4079.jpg

that's really freakin good out of 22 mag. i cant shoot groups that well out of my weihrauch 22 mag. lithgow hey ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 15 Feb 2018, 6:47 pm

bigrich wrote:
brett1868 wrote:My son shot this a month ago using my Lithgow 22Mag and CCI ammo at a distance of 50m. He's a lefty shooting a r/H rifle and due to his size the butt stock is under his arm. Not a bad effort from the young fella, since then I've bought him a L/H 22LR and he's only getting better....

IMG_4079.jpg

that's really freakin good out of 22 mag. i cant shoot groups that well out of my weihrauch 22 mag. lithgow hey ?

I have to hand it to Lithgow Arms, this is one beautiful looking and accurate rifle.

The boy on his first shots 2 mths ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-ALjRI0_4

Recently with the L/H Savage I bought him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_I_VT2r1g
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by lee_enfield223 » 15 Feb 2018, 7:10 pm

got a Lilja barrel fitted to my Anschutz 1416HB and it's now shooting better than ever but it took a while to get right and it loves Lapua, also SK all the groups were shot at 50m, great video of your youngster learning how to shoot
Attachments
Anschutz 1416 small.jpg
Anschutz 1416 small.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
Lilja center X small.jpg
Lilja center X small.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
lilja .220 anschutz.jpg
lilja .220 anschutz.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
lee_enfield223
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 15 Feb 2018, 7:25 pm

lee_enfield223 wrote:got a Lilja barrel fitted to my Anschutz 1416HB and it's now shooting better than ever but it took a while to get right and it loves Lapua, also SK all the groups were shot at 50m, great video of your youngster learning how to shoot

The little bugger actually beat me a couple weeks ago....I've been shooting 43yrs and had my ass handed to me by a 12yr old with 3 weeks experience :( Lilja make some awesome barrels and I'm not surprised with those tiny groups, I run a Lilja barrel on my comp 50 and it gets better every comp.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2018, 3:09 pm

Picked up some Eley Standard Bulk 500 Pack the other day to try.
100m (actually 102m) with a very light breeze from right to left, and pretty hot.
Only one group was really messed up due to wind when some gusts came through right-to-left.
Groups were shot pretty fast to maintain the wind conditions (about one shot every 8-12 seconds on the video).
I cleaned the bore last night with 956rds down it since the last clean.
I shot them alongside Eley Edge and CCI Std Vel for comparison - no batching, just randomly pulled.
Best 5rd groups of the session were CCI SV at 25mm and 29.5mm. Average of ten groups was 46.75mm (185% of the smallest group).
Best Eley Standard group was 30.5mm with an average of 54.5mm (180% of the smallest group) - I dropped the cold/clean bore group and the group that was shot in significant crosswind.
Best Eley Edge group was 38.5mm with an average across eight groups of 51.4mm (133% of the smallest group).
So the 40-cent Eley Edge still gives the most consistent group sizes, but doesn't quite get as tight as the 11-cent CCI SV.
Attachments
20180218_135119 b.jpg
20180218_135119 b.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 8376 times
20180218_135300 c.jpg
20180218_135300 c.jpg (519.78 KiB) Viewed 8376 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 18 Feb 2018, 3:18 pm

lee_enfield223 wrote:got a Lilja barrel fitted to my Anschutz 1416HB and it's now shooting better than ever but it took a while to get right and it loves Lapua, also SK all the groups were shot at 50m, great video of your youngster learning how to shoot

Thats a beautiful piece of wood on that stock. A different profile to a lot of the Anschutz as well. When talking with Cameron from Hatchers rifle stocks he commented on the number of different profiles they had, He couldn't keep up or a new profile to him kept popping up. He tries to keep blanks of all the stocks so he can make replacements for customers.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by lee_enfield223 » 18 Feb 2018, 3:30 pm

sungazer wrote:

Thats a beautiful piece of wood on that stock. A different profile to a lot of the Anschutz as well. When talking with Cameron from Hatchers rifle stocks he commented on the number of different profiles they had, He couldn't keep up or a new profile to him kept popping up. He tries to keep blanks of all the stocks so he can make replacements for customers.

Thanks for you kind words about the stock,,funny thing in the shop it looked very plain but in the sun the figure comes right out, the rifle with it's original barrel was barely a 1/2' performer with target ammo at 50m, the trigger was great,the wood was very nice but I wanted more, as shown above, also the accuracy from that ruger's not too bad at 100m
lee_enfield223
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 18 Feb 2018, 4:02 pm

Blade is on a mission practicing every day, what is it Bladeracer a 100 every day. Practice really makes a difference so well done BR but we are or at least I am sort of expecting to see great results and getting better all the time. I am sure he will tell you the difference the practice has made especially for the off hand shooting. That is a skill that really does take practice.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2018, 6:50 pm

sungazer wrote:Blade is on a mission practicing every day, what is it Bladeracer a 100 every day. Practice really makes a difference so well done BR but we are or at least I am sort of expecting to see great results and getting better all the time. I am sure he will tell you the difference the practice has made especially for the off hand shooting. That is a skill that really does take practice.

:-)
100 rounds every day minimum is the goal I set myself, 5449rds after today's effort. Unfortunately I have had to miss a couple of days due to other commitments, five days I think that I haven't been able to shoot this year.

I'm never going to make a target shooter, I just don't have that commitment or interest in competition, but I really wanted to significantly improve my offhand and non-scope shooting. Silhouette requires both so it just seemed like a good incentive to make it happen :-)

My last Norinco practice on the silhouettes gave me 62 hits from 120rds. That's a fifteen-round tube onto each silhouette facing in both directions. But it's really not a significant improvement over where I was six weeks ago (36/75). My best ever on the turkey is eight hits from fifteen rounds.

I think right now I am shooting better than my Norinco JW21 allows me to. If I take a bolt rifle out with iron sights I can hit all four silhouettes with boring consistency, provided I concentrate of course :-)

Off the bench with iron sights, the Norinco just barely maintains the minimum accuracy required to hit the silhouettes, so any error in sight picture is probably a miss. If you can launch every round perfectly on target, then the rifle only needs to be able to maintain around 5MoA offhand to score. When the rifle only holds 5-6MoA, then even very slight errors in sight picture will miss. With a scope, off the bench, the JW21 can achieve around 2MoA out to 100m, so the rifle itself is adequately capable I think. If I shoot a bolt rifle my groups improve significantly, so I'm left to assume the restriction is in the trigger, my sight picture, and/or my ergonomics (hold and/or cheek weld).

The trigger break and feel is not great so I have another hammer and trigger that I can try to clean up.

To improve my sight picture I'm awaiting another Williams peep sight with target knobs, and a Lyman front sight with replaceable inserts - it's still in Customs but hopefully I'll get it this week. This should allow me to dial the sight in to a specific point on each silhouette, which I'm hoping will help. My groups are approaching the required ballparks, but I'm not placing them over the right area of the targets.

For the ergonomics I'll wait until I have the new sights before I build up the comb to give a consistent weld. I'm trying to float the barrel, which was the main reason I cut another mag tube down to five rounds, since that's all you're allowed to load for silhouette anyway. I next want to attach the fore end and mag tube directly to the receiver and disconnect both from the barrel. That way any variance in my hold should have no effect on the barrel.

Overall though, I'm just having tons of fun :-)
Attachments
070220183483 b.jpg
070220183483 b.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 8365 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 18 Feb 2018, 7:32 pm

Listening to what you say is very interesting on several points. The main one being the influence of the type of action. Is it all the action or some of those other points such as any influences on the barrel. I mean there are specific target actions built for the purpose however I think that there is a general consensus that the action only has about 20% and the barrel itself as 80% of the influence on the accuracy of the rifle. Sure there are other factors such as optics (general term to include iron sights) and the stock. Because the bullet is really 99% inside the chamber which is inside the barrel. I know there are exceptions but just for arguments sake the bullet is firmly held by the barrel. So why the significant difference.Clearly I am wrong in my thinking somewhere.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2018, 8:00 pm

sungazer wrote:Listening to what you say is very interesting on several points. The main one being the influence of the type of action. Is it all the action or some of those other points such as any influences on the barrel. I mean there are specific target actions built for the purpose however I think that there is a general consensus that the action only has about 20% and the barrel itself as 80% of the influence on the accuracy of the rifle. Sure there are other factors such as optics (general term to include iron sights) and the stock. Because the bullet is really 99% inside the chamber which is inside the barrel. I know there are exceptions but just for arguments sake the bullet is firmly held by the barrel. So why the significant difference.Clearly I am wrong in my thinking somewhere.

Some things that matter are how rigidly the barrel is fixed in the receiver, how precisely the bore is aligned with the bolt face, and how rigidly the bolt is locked up. I doubt a rimfire is likely to be a problem though. With a scope, off the bench, the Norinco is not far behind my Rugers in its accuracy potential, but removing it from the bench the Norinco's ergonomics do not provide as good a platform. There is apparently a version with a pistol-grip butt stock which might well be better.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by lee_enfield223 » 19 Feb 2018, 11:21 am

I would never make a stand up shooter so would do poorly on rams,chickens,etc,,, I have won heaps of military rifle matches over the years and I agree it all comes down to practise, even if you miss one target but hit all the others you still might win ! , before the Big military rifle Queens(not rainbow) shoot in sydney when it was run, shooters came from all over Australia and even from the USA to shoot it, and I found because of the three position shooting I am now much better out in the field, also I found that you don't have to shoot live rounds to get better, I used to have a rifle setup to dry fire only! and before a big match I used to spend 1 hour every night dry firing in the three positions for about 1 month before a big match.aiming at a half size target on the wall,,,bradman gave me that idea !!!! LOL I figured if he can do it with a stump I can do it with a smaller target.
Anyway keep up the good work
lee_enfield223
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2018, 5:47 pm

shot these at ripley this afternoon in the rain with my old 1960's krico 22lr and zeiss 4-12x42 scope at 50
Attachments
IMG_0085[2].JPG
five shot group eley sport
IMG_0085[2].JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 7765 times
IMG_0084[1].JPG
cci 40 gr target
IMG_0084[1].JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 7765 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2018, 5:54 pm

trusty old krico 22lr. shoots as good as my cz452 2E at the moment. wobbly old trigger an all......
Attachments
IMG_0086[1].JPG
IMG_0086[1].JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 7763 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2018, 5:59 pm

dunno why the other krico photo came out upside down , stupid I phones
Attachments
IMG_0088[1].JPG
IMG_0088[1].JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 7762 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 05 Apr 2018, 5:52 pm

Just confirming zero on my 22lr T-bolt with CCI Velocitors this arvo before a cull in the paddocks this evening. Pretty happy with the first three rounds of Velocitors (lower right target). All went into 6mm so I called it good enough and adjusted two clicks down, took another shot and another 3 clicks to put me just under the line. One click back up and I plugged the next 5 into the target next to it, which I double grouped on but that's down to my dodgy test rig as much as anything but it was a definite 3 and then 2 so I must have changed my hold or cheek weld or something. Only at 25m but that puts me on zero at 25 and at 50m and at 1.7" low at 75m and 2.2" low at 80m, just as they go transonic. This makes for very good point and shoot out to 80m.

Also trying a few rounds of subsonic ammo. I think the CCI Supressor 45gn at 970fps shows promise. I particularly like the lower left group that was first shot low and right and then the next 4 into 8 or 9 mm.

April4th2018 22lr25zero.jpg
April4th2018 22lr25zero.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 8465 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 11:41 pm

Very nice groups Gwion...
Hope get to see some pics of the cull...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 06 Apr 2018, 6:44 am

Cheers Stix. I didn't take any pics because showing culled natives (even as pests under crop permit) can be a bit iffy. Best just not to post them, i think. That way they can't be taken and used out of context.
Got about 25 but didn't do a final count. They go to the local Devil breeding facility so the overly successful species get culled and help the species that is struggling. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Gwion on 06 Apr 2018, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stix » 06 Apr 2018, 9:38 am

Ah fair enough...i wasnt sure what you were culling & momentarily forgot that you're one of Van's Demons...

Hows this for a laugh....i for the life of me at first couldnt figure out what you meant by the devil breeding facility...i was thinking about what you Taswegians must get up to :shock: , then i was wondering if this was a term you used for your wife's bingo club or walking group or something- ;) -or maybe its their knitting club that stiches the hides together.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then the kettle boiled, feet hit the ground & the wheels started turning and all became clear...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But its a good thing they are not wasted & put to good use...!!!

The Government here dont do smart things like that--mind you we have a change now so we'll see how it pans out.
Instead we have a Goverment that wont allow recreational hunting on conservation parks, but dont have the funds to police & prosecute all the blokes that go in parks & illegally round up hundreds if not thousands of goats a week.. :?

Anyway, this is a rimfire group pics page so ill stop the political bitching...

Pass on my love & deepest of respect to your wife & her friends mate... :D :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 06 Apr 2018, 10:44 am

Stix wrote:Ah fair enough...i wasnt sure what you were culling & momentarily forgot that you're one of Van's Demons...

Hows this for a laugh....i for the life of me at first couldnt figure out what you meant by the devil breeding facility...i was thinking about what you Taswegians must get up to :shock: , then i was wondering if this was a term you used for your wife's bingo club or walking group or something- ;) -or maybe its their knitting club that stiches the hides together.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then the kettle boiled, feet hit the ground & the wheels started turning and all became clear...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But its a good thing they are not wasted & put to good use...!!!

.... snip......

Pass on my love & deepest of respect to your wife & her friends mate... :D :drinks:

:lol: :friends: :drinks: :lol: :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigrich » 06 Apr 2018, 4:22 pm

[quote="Stix"]

christ your a funny bugger stix :lol: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Apr 2018, 7:06 pm

had another play with my weihrauch 22lr at ripley this arvo. it's had about 200 rounds through it and is starting to settle and group better. eley sport (green box ) shoot well in all my rifles. $10 a box isn't too bad for these results. 42gr win sub lead hp's group very well but grubby cases liked to stick in the chamber. the flyer was the fifth shot, all shot at 50. put my best group from my krico hornet shooting 35 gr hornady. just because. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0057[1].JPG
42gr win subs hp's. woulda been good except for the dreaded flyer !
IMG_0057[1].JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 8391 times
IMG_0056[2].JPG
krico 22 hornet at 50
IMG_0056[2].JPG (1008.66 KiB) Viewed 8391 times
IMG_0055[1].JPG
4 shots weihrauch 22lr at 50 with eley sport
IMG_0055[1].JPG (979.39 KiB) Viewed 8391 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wannabustbunnies » 08 Apr 2018, 10:07 pm

Hey Bigrich,
Have you tried SK Standard + at all in your Weihrauch? I have a HW66 as well and it goes alright.
Winchester subs I have only tried shooting once and the first case stuck in the chanber so didn't bother with anymore. They were the 40gr version, I have some 42gr but haven't tried them.
Eley subs are accurate but too expensive so I use CCI subs for a hunting round in mine.
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 09 Apr 2018, 4:52 am

thanks for the tips WBB. haven't tried SK yet, but am going to. all the winchester ammo i've tried in these rifles , 22lr , 22 mag , 22 hornet , 6.5x55 , 30-30 , all shot very average, inconsistant or had oxidised cases the didn't chamber/eject well. a mate had big issues with split cases in 17hmr. he switched to federal, hasn't had a case split since. the 42gr 22lr subs shot real well, but is now another winchester ammo i wont buy. the weihrauchs are a good bit of gear hey ? i had a hw60j 22 mag that used to group 1" at 100 when conditions were right. how many rounds have you put through yours and how does it group WBB ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wannabustbunnies » 09 Apr 2018, 8:42 pm

Hey Bigrich, the previous owner of my rifle tried a few different ammunition types through it before me and found it shot best with the European brands. Eley, RWS, SK etc. I save the Federal and Winchester now for the Zastava.
Mine groups pretty well but I don't think it has shot as well as when I first got it. I pulled it apart "just to see" and I think I need to play around with the action screw torque a little.
This was a group of 20 not long after I got it but I cant remember which ammo, might have been Eley of some sort
Edited to add, SK Magazine is a good one to try if you can
Attachments
2015-10-02_11-39-31_635.jpg
2015-10-02_11-39-31_635.jpg (105.38 KiB) Viewed 8356 times
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 09 Apr 2018, 9:23 pm

yeh that's pretty good WBB, but then again, that's typical of weihrauch. :thumbsup: have read they have match chambers. yank ammo doesn't work so good at times. i tried win 42gr hp subs and it shot great. but due to grubby cases , i had extraction problems :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wannabustbunnies » 09 Apr 2018, 9:38 pm

Yeah can't complain too much. I don't do alot of group shooting but it's good to see how you go every now and then.
Last time I shot it with the SK Magazine I had been using CCI subs previously and it took a good 25 or so shots to settle down again
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges