Runva 11xp isolator switch issues

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Runva 11xp isolator switch issues

Post by Bigjobss » 06 Apr 2018, 4:03 pm

Hey fellas any of you had problems with the isolator getting dirty and losing contact?
Seems like a stupid design to essentially have a cup in you engine bay to collect dust.

Anyway just sharing because I lost some time today trouble shooting this problem, a heap of wd40 and a qtip later all good.

Might cover it with electrical tape when not in use.
Bigjobss

Re: Runva 11xp isolator switch issues

Post by tractor88 » 01 May 2018, 8:03 pm

Thanks for the info mate. My isolation switch was faulty straight out of the box. But as for the winch itself it has been fantastic. Great price and would appear at this stage good quality. Plenty of power that’s for sure. Got the switch working now so alls good.
tractor88
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 02 May 2018, 10:18 am

I've had mine in a filthy engine bay for a few years now and never cleaned it and haven't had an issue. I do keep the key in so thay may have helped things?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Die Judicii » 24 May 2018, 11:30 pm

Hey fellas, I got caught out by the very same problem years back, when I really needed the wench errrrr, winch.
They don't like getting dirt, dust, water in there, and it doesn't allow current flow.

Ever since then I always mount the iso switch where it's out of reach of mongrels, but easily accessed by myself.
And to prevent dirt etc getting in I just use a 2" long piece of heater hose that is a push fit over the raised section where the key goes in,, and sealed at the end with silicone.
The key itself is hung on a 10" stainless steel fishing trace alongside so its always handy and never gets lost.

Easy Peasy :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 25 May 2018, 12:12 am

Bigjobss wrote:Hey fellas any of you had problems with the isolator getting dirty and losing contact?
Seems like a stupid design to essentially have a cup in you engine bay to collect dust.

Anyway just sharing because I lost some time today trouble shooting this problem, a heap of wd40 and a qtip later all good.

I would suggest using electrical contact cleaner for such things, WD etc.. will act like a magnet for dust and dirt.. Not knocking the tape or the method DJ suggested as they both appear to fit the bill. :thumbsup:

BTW.. I found that B C F had the best price, about ten gold coins less than the other mobs :shock: :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Bigjobss » 26 May 2018, 5:58 pm

darwindingo wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:Hey fellas any of you had problems with the isolator getting dirty and losing contact?

I would suggest using electrical contact cleaner for such things, WD etc.. will act like a magnet for dust and dirt.. Not knocking the tape or the method DJ suggested as they both appear to fit the bill. :thumbsup:

BTW.. I found that B C F had the best price, about ten gold coins less than the other mobs :shock: :thumbsup:

:drinks:

All good mate it was all I had on hand in the bush, I sure as hell wasn't going to use any of my good whiskey!

I've mounted mine up near the battery but it is in an old less than perfectly sealed bay so it has obviously copped the dust. The hose idea is a winner.
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 26 May 2018, 6:00 pm

AusTac wrote:I've had mine in a filthy engine bay for a few years now and never cleaned it and haven't had an issue. I do keep the key in so thay may have helped things?

Definitely would. Sounds like you trust your neighbours more than me!
Bigjobss

Post by Die Judicii » 27 May 2018, 12:18 am

AusTac wrote:I've had mine in a filthy engine bay for a few years now and never cleaned it and haven't had an issue. I do keep the key in so thay may have helped things?

I drilled out the rivets in the one that stopped working on mine when I needed it most.
Then put it back together with silicone and 6mm bolts.

Believe me once it is apart you'll see that keeping the key in will make 4/5ths of SFA difference.

Leave the key out when not in use and keep it capped with a waterproof and dustproof cap,,,, and you'll never have another problem.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 30 May 2018, 1:12 pm

tractor88 wrote:My isolation switch was faulty straight out of the box. But as for the winch itself it has been fantastic. Great price and would appear at this stage good quality. Plenty of power that’s for sure. Got the switch working now so alls good.

I had dramas with my first switch too. I don't know what the internal design/components are like but in my observations, they appear to be a quite a bottleneck for current.

I initially had a bit of trouble with my winch intermittently receiving enough power to turn, it would just *click* instead.

Admittedly my original battery was a little underpowered in terms of CCA, but when troubleshooting it over a few occasions I connected the power wire directly to the battery and it would fire fine, go via the isolator again and it would cut out again. I did this back and forth on several occasions with consistent results.

Regardless of the battery, the isolator was demonstrably a weak link in the chain.

I since upgraded to a higher CCA battery, put a bigger ring terminal on the winch lead and it has been flawless since. :thumbsup:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel