Decent Rain Jacket

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Decent Rain Jacket

Post by Joffa » 05 May 2018, 8:24 pm

Hey guys,

I’ve been looking at getting a new decent rain jacket that’s good for cold wet areas (not tropical/humid).
I want a few things to be included:
1. Durable
2. Flexible and unrestricting for shooting
3. Quiet
4. Not camouflage colour
5. Breathable (suitable for long distance hiking)
6. Preferably under $500
So far I’ve considered Kathmandu, Ridgeline and Country Innovation (UK)

Anyone recommend any other brands or particular jackets that fit what I’m looking for?

Cheers
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Decent Rain Jacket

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2018, 9:04 pm

All i can say is Kathmadu are WAY over priced for what they are...
Last edited by Gwion on 05 May 2018, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2018, 9:13 pm

After working in a vineyard for 20 odd years,I've yet to find a good rain jacket.
Closest I've got to a good system is a good woolen jacket with a military poncho over the top. I've used the ridge line mallard pants,and to be honest you feel wet wearing them from the sweat buildup. I sort of came to the conclusion that you can't stop getting wet,but you can stop the cold.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 05 May 2018, 9:20 pm

If you want something light the Japara is probably the best lts breathable. The you could have a look at some of the motor bike shops I would have to look at the brand I have. its not plastic but is really waterproof at the expense of breathable. A heavy but good is the ? forgot name stockman type long jacket really keeps wind and cold out.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2018, 9:26 pm

Do you mean a drizabone sungazer,or as we called them,wetasashags
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2018, 9:36 pm

Just had a quick look because I'm a recovering gear freak....

For $500 you can get a good mid layer and outer layer combo from Macpac. Better to go the combo for temp regulation 'layering'.
"Switchback" fleece jacket and "Copland" rain jacket are on sale on the macpac.com.au site.

TheNortheface are also worth looking at. I've had and old version of their "summit" expedition jacket for probably 15years. Has a zip out fleece liner. Worn it in snow and also in torrential rain walking out of the Tiers a year or two ago. So much rain the plateau was one big lake upto your ankles. Tracks were creeks and creeks were rivers...
Nothing keeps you totally dry in those conditions (even totally impermiable layers make you wet from sweat when you are racing weather out of the hills!) but I'd happily recommend either of those two brands. My wife uses macpac and i rate her jacket well and all their gear is first rate wilderness gear.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2018, 9:49 pm

Holy crap... i must have had that jacket for longer than i thought: they are re doing it as a 'nostalgia' line! :lol:
https://thenorthface.com.au/product/men ... jacket-gtx

I know it's been less than 20years though.... ? :unknown:
Last edited by Gwion on 05 May 2018, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2018, 9:59 pm

This looks the s**t!
https://thenorthface.com.au/product/men ... e-jacket-2

$600 but 3 in one.

Or this for 400 but only outer shell: ttps://thenorthface.com.au/product/men-s-cuchillo-parka
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2018, 10:12 pm

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2018, 10:16 pm

Ok... so I'm bored on Saturday night with my wife snoring on the couch! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 05 May 2018, 10:37 pm

Gwion wrote:https://www.macpac.com.au/mens/jackets-vests/fleece/mountain-fleece-hoody-mens.html

I have similar one, got in stateside for USD80. It's amazing. That + t-shirt at circa 0C - -1C, keeps me very warm.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 May 2018, 10:50 pm

They have a few fleece hoodies on sale for under and around the $100 mark. Good value for good gear.

Personally, my layer system is a merino thermal, light fleece jumper, light fleece jacket, softshell, rain layer. Plus a couple of beanies for around camp at night: one for when it get chilly and another to go ontop when it gets f***ing cold! Daytime is usually only 2, maybe 3 layers but night time can be 4. If it gets to the point i need the 5th layer i climb in my sleeping bag and read intead of watching the stars.

No fires allowed where i go hiking...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 06 May 2018, 12:47 am

Gwion wrote:Ok... so I'm bored on Saturday night with my wife snoring on the couch! :lol:

I'd suggest substituting the word "purring" in place of "snoring" on the couch mate.... :shock: My wife, err um "purrs" :allegedly: :lol:

Well errr, I mean I don't use ( I should confess, I'm not game to use it :lol: ) the term "snoring" lol... Happy "purring" wife happy life... :lol:

Anyhoo,, the peanut gallery is signing out for now... :lol:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 06 May 2018, 7:41 am

I have used Sierra Trading Post before, they have some good deals

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~mens-rain-jacket/
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 06 May 2018, 8:28 am

Yes Drizabone thats what I was trying to remember brain fade.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by pete1 » 06 May 2018, 8:58 am

I have a Blackwolf raincoat, had it 10 years and its good, compact light weight, keeps all the rain out. wasn't highly overpriced when i brought it.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 06 May 2018, 11:03 am

I got a Mountain Equipment shell (Gortex is worth it). Its pricy, but I hiked for 5 days though a rain forrest (10hrs a day in rain) and up over a mountain pass in the snow and not once did I get wet (when i did it up correctly). The vents were awesome for cooling too and water didn't get in while the vents were open.

https://www.mountainequipment.co.uk/men ... ng?cat=153

Actual one I got (https://www.mountainequipment.co.uk/tupilak-jacket)
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 06 May 2018, 2:26 pm

been using drizabone for 20 years with the peaked fasten on hood they are heavy and not particularly warm but if you keep waxing them they sure as hell keep you dry without the sweating and are as tough as nails
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 06 May 2018, 5:22 pm

There are a few different makes of drizabones getting around. They arnt made for warmth particularly but a lined one with a corduroy collar and cuffs I find is pretty warm it keeps all the wind out and is a good insulating layer not much more needed underneath a good flannel shirt perhaps over a T shirt and you will be warm.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Yipikaye » 06 May 2018, 5:26 pm

My dog has a drizabone it works really well. His head and tail are soaking wet but the middle of him is dry :)
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 06 May 2018, 5:31 pm

There are a few different types getting around in the material as well so it pays to have a look around first. I must admit its been a long time since I bought my last one and all this talk makes me think I should patch up mine give it a scrub down and rewaterproof. had it for 15+ years and never rewaterproofed still good.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigpete » 06 May 2018, 6:07 pm

Hell,the 3 different ones I've owned must have been really crap coz none of them could withstand 8 hours of standing in the rain pruning ! Plus they stiffened up when they got cold which provably doesn't seem that bad until you're already cold,wet,and tired.
Still like em though lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by zobster » 07 May 2018, 4:11 am

I've only had a military issued gortex shell, thus that's where I based my reference from.

Nothing is waterproof and breathable at the same time. Yes, the outer shell might be keeping the tropical "drizzle" off my back and head but my sweat had soaked me thoroughly. I would rather have something simple, poncho etc to keep the worst of the rain off and dry clothes to change into at camp.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 07 May 2018, 8:43 am

I was going to suggest garbage bags. I have used them when bushwalking heaps a big one can go over you and your pack. Very waterproof.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bigjobss » 20 May 2018, 8:47 am

Gwion wrote:They have a few fleece hoodies on sale for under and around the $100 mark. Good value for good gear.

Personally, my layer system is a merino thermal, light fleece jumper, light fleece jacket, softshell, rain layer. Plus a couple of beanies for around camp at night: one for when it get chilly and another to go ontop when it gets f***ing cold! Daytime is usually only 2, maybe 3 layers but night time can be 4. If it gets to the point i need the 5th layer i climb in my sleeping bag and read intead of watching the stars.

No fires allowed where i go hiking...

I love merino wool, Ive often been ok using a merino midlayer as a base and whacking a camo shirt right on top - worked well enough last week up in the high country and it had snowed overnight.
I keep one of these in my pack incase the weather turns
https://www.hunterselement.com.au/produ ... 1232463916
Bigjobss

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation