Importing magpul mags

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Importing magpul mags

Post by dpskipper » 07 May 2018, 12:02 pm

deleted
Last edited by dpskipper on 04 Nov 2018, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Importing magpul mags

Post by Chronos » 07 May 2018, 1:30 pm

Local price from Magnum Sports is $105 each but they're out of stock with the supplier. Not sure how they're $20 in the US, No idea how they can make them for that.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 07 May 2018, 2:09 pm

Chronos wrote: Not sure how they're $20 in the US, No idea how they can make them for that.

Chronos

14 bucks straight from the manufactuer
https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-30-ar-m4-gen-m3
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 07 May 2018, 2:24 pm

So I imported some 10 round magazines with Meplat about 6 months ago,

I bought 6, 10 round magazines.

They each cost $12.49 USD each. At the end of it all I paid $250 AUD to get them delivered to my place.

However you won’t be able to do that as cheap because no matter what license you have 30 round magazines still require an Attorney General Permit and that’s even more stuffing around so expect that cost to passed on to you.

The fact you only want three doesn’t help because some of the permits are fixed costs few so they stay high as well.

Honestly even if you try to do it all by yourself you are only going to come out ahead a couple of bucks and that’s IF you get the permit granted which is an absolute pain.

From someone who’s done it before, don’t bother. Cop it on the chin and pay ignition engineering for the magazines, I guarantee he isn’t making that much on them after the time and effort it takes to get it all sorted plus your buying from a good Aussie buisness.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 07 May 2018, 2:28 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:So I imported some 10 round magazines with Meplat about 6 months ago,

I bought 6, 10 round magazines.

They each cost $12.49 USD each. At the end of it all I paid $250 AUD to get them delivered to my place.

However you won’t be able to do that as cheap because no matter what license you have 30 round magazines still require an Attorney General Permit and that’s even more stuffing around so expect that cost to passed on to you.

The fact you only want three doesn’t help because some of the permits are fixed costs few so they stay high as well.

Honestly even if you try to do it all by yourself you are only going to come out ahead a couple of bucks and that’s IF you get the permit granted which is an absolute pain.

From someone who’s done it before, don’t bother. Cop it on the chin and pay ignition engineering for the magazines, I guarantee he isn’t making that much on them after the time and effort it takes to get it all sorted plus your buying from a good Aussie buisness.

Yep, looks like a trip to ignition it is...

Oh well.

Thanks for the input.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 08 May 2018, 9:56 pm

30 round mags are legal in SA, so by god I'm gonna have 'em.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 09 May 2018, 12:01 am

Here in the USA, sometimes you can get bulk deals on them for less than $10 a piece. I just bought some 40 round Magpul Gen 3s for $16. Average retail is around $12-$13 at a typical gun store.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by dpskipper » 09 May 2018, 7:35 am

wanneroo wrote:Here in the USA, sometimes you can get bulk deals on them for less than $10 a piece. I just bought some 40 round Magpul Gen 3s for $16. Average retail is around $12-$13 at a typical gun store.

Stop making me drool man
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Download » 14 May 2018, 12:11 am

First things first, unless you have a Cat D license there is zero chance in hell that you will get the import permit for them. None what so ever. It does not matter that here in SA we're still allowed thirty-rounders. The next thing is that dealers who import thirty-rounders are not allowed to sell them to anyone unless they have the same permit from the AG that allows you to import them.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by dpskipper » 14 May 2018, 12:14 am

My local gun shop will sell them to me. No ag permit or cat d needed.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Download » 16 May 2018, 12:14 pm

dpskipper wrote:My local gun shop will sell them to me. No ag permit or cat d needed.

So they probably entered the country as pinned ten rounders or were bought of a culler who imported them with an AG permit. It also does not change the fact you have zero chance of importing them.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 16 May 2018, 11:05 pm

Brownells Australia can get you a 10-pack of 10 rounders (yes, it's not what you wanted..... ) for just under $220

I can't find any 30-rounders on their website, but I'm sure hte US website has them, but the local guy can't import them.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by dpskipper » 16 May 2018, 11:08 pm

Download wrote:
dpskipper wrote:My local gun shop will sell them to me. No ag permit or cat d needed.

So they probably entered the country as pinned ten rounders or were bought of a culler who imported them with an AG permit. It also does not change the fact you have zero chance of importing them.

I've seen them. They come from magpul as 30 rounders in the original packaging unopened. I don't know how they import them, but i don't care. They're legal so I've gotta have em.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws