The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by Stix » 05 May 2018, 3:17 pm

Ah nice one bigpete...!!!
I love the look of em with the real black feet...
& the black streak on his nose looks good.

Id take the pelt if it didnt have the typical 22-250 varorised crater in him...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2018, 4:45 pm

Yeah,can't be bothered. In all honesty the hole wasn't that big
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 05 May 2018, 6:58 pm

Good stuff , the 22/250 does the trick .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 06 May 2018, 8:57 am

Thanks for the thoughts fellas...appreciate it....just goes to show how easy things can turn pear shape out there.......99.99999% of my night hunting is done solo....highlights the reasons for having a shooting mate go with you.....there lies another problem.....finding the right partner that is as keen and as dedicated to the sport as you.....not many blokes i know want to do what i do....there are a lot that just want to go when it suits them....the other issue is taking someone to your hard earned properties...only to find they slip in under you and take there mates out there....i bet a lot have had that happen to them....yours truly included....One instance springs to mind going back a lot of years ago when i had den dogs down Geelong way......it took me years and years of hard work and an enormous amount of foot slogging to find dens on a lot of properties, and a long time to gain access to these properties....i was taking this kid with me for a long time and he seemed keen as, taught him everything that i knew about denning etc....let him shoot most of the foxes that bolted....set him up with his own den dogs and things were going ok....untill he got his licence and independance and that was the last i saw of him....and you guessed it....he was out doing all the dens i had found with his mates.....i caught up with him on one of my properties one day and to say he got torn a new arsehole was an understatment....he went back home with his tail between his legs that day...problem was he had a whinge to the property owner of the tongue lashing he got that day and i was told not to come back by the owner....seems to think i was out of line......left a pretty stale taste in the mouth thats for sure, so i dont take anyone anywhere now after that.
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 06 May 2018, 11:54 am

Good grief Brinny, sorry to hear about your fall :( BUT more important, how was the rifle and night sight; do any damage? :shock:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 May 2018, 12:44 pm

brinny wrote: there lies another problem.....finding the right partner that is as keen and as dedicated to the sport as you.....not many blokes i know want to do what i do....there are a lot that just want to go when it suits them....the other issue is taking someone to your hard earned properties...only to find they slip in under you and take there mates out there.....

I don't think there would be many people that have been hunting for a while that haven't been burnt. I've been burnt a couple of times now. Finding people to hunt with that you actually want to hunt with is bloody hard. The few people I've introduced to hunting just aren't that keen, or for a combination of reasons don't progress to finding places themselves. My boy is just starting to get real keen which will be great.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 06 May 2018, 3:52 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
brinny wrote: there lies another problem.....finding the right partner that is as keen and as dedicated to the sport as you.....not many blokes i know want to do what i do....there are a lot that just want to go when it suits them....the other issue is taking someone to your hard earned properties...only to find they slip in under you and take there mates out there.....

I don't think there would be many people that have been hunting for a while that haven't been burnt. I've been burnt a couple of times now. Finding people to hunt with that you actually want to hunt with is bloody hard. The few people I've introduced to hunting just aren't that keen, or for a combination of reasons don't progress to finding places themselves. My boy is just starting to get real keen which will be great.

Hhmmm...i hear & feel you both...
Lucky you have your lad BA...im envious...i have my nephew, but my sister...aaargggh...fair dinkum...!

Last bloke-an avid target shooter-- i finally invited out made all the promises, seemed super responsible, yet so unlucky & hard done by to not have anywhere to hunt...said he'd love to come rabbit sniping & learn what he could about chasing foxes...& was very keen to come on some new properties ive now got hard earned access to in the hope of deer in the SE.
So i made all the arrangements & got trusted approval from landowners to bring him on my say so of how great this guy appeared to be...
Just 2 days out from going & he doesnt answer the fone, return calls or show up...made me look like a complete ass...!
These people are really bad news, they can do the dirty on you in so many ways...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 06 May 2018, 4:19 pm

Stix wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:

Hhmmm...i hear & feel you both...
Lucky you have your lad BA...im envious...i have my nephew, but my sister...aaargggh...fair dinkum...!

Last bloke-an avid target shooter-- i finally invited out made all the promises, seemed super responsible, yet so unlucky & hard done by to not have anywhere to hunt...said he'd love to come rabbit sniping & learn what he could about chasing foxes...& was very keen to come on some new properties ive now got hard earned access to in the hope of deer in the SE.
So i made all the arrangements & got trusted approval from landowners to bring him on my say so of how great this guy appeared to be...
Just 2 days out from going & he doesnt answer the fone, return calls or show up...made me look like a complete ass...!
These people are really bad news, they can do the dirty on you in so many ways...

I think most of us would have a story to tell about this very thing....there is a thread on one of the hunting groups on FB with a relitively newby having a gripe as to why the hunters in the know wont help a newcomer find hunting properties....Fair range of answers but all hinge around the same meaning....
BA...hope your son gets into it with you....we need the next generation to take over from us.....My little bloke doesnt share my passion thats for sure....he is 10 and doesnt want a bar of it.....says he cant stand the thought of killing something....doesnt help that his mom and uncles and aunts, grndmother grandfather are all anti hunting either....they are always in his ear....the more they get in his ear about it the more i go out of my way to piss them off and bring my guns out to clean and start changing every conversation to hunting...... :D :D Im hoping to turn things around as he gets older....i bought him a Brno mdl 2 22 when he was born....sitting in the safe waiting for that day when i can say...here son....your first gun....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 May 2018, 4:36 pm

brinny wrote:...My little bloke doesnt share my passion thats for sure....he is 10 and doesnt want a bar of it.....says he cant stand the thought of killing something....doesnt help that his mom and uncles and aunts, grndmother grandfather are all anti hunting either....they are always in his ear....the more they get in his ear about it the more i go out of my way to piss them off and bring my guns out to clean and start changing every conversation to hunting...... :D :D Im hoping to turn things around as he gets older....i bought him a Brno mdl 2 22 when he was born....sitting in the safe waiting for that day when i can say...here son....your first gun....

Brinny...mate...im the bearer of very good news for you...!
Not only do i like shooting & hunting...but...IM UP FOR ADOPTION...!!!...DAD...? :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 06 May 2018, 6:06 pm

Stix wrote:
brinny wrote:...My little bloke doesnt share my passion thats for sure....he is 10 and doesnt want a bar of it.....says he cant stand the thought of killing something....doesnt help that his mom and uncles and aunts, grndmother grandfather are all anti hunting either....they are always in his ear....the more they get in his ear about it the more i go out of my way to piss them off and bring my guns out to clean and start changing every conversation to hunting...... :D :D Im hoping to turn things around as he gets older....i bought him a Brno mdl 2 22 when he was born....sitting in the safe waiting for that day when i can say...here son....your first gun....

Brinny...mate...im the bearer of very good news for you...!
Not only do i like shooting & hunting...but...IM UP FOR ADOPTION...!!!...DAD...? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 May 2018, 6:19 pm

Hi Brinny, yep getting the family on the same page is hard work. I'm finally winning. Had the extended family over today to celebrate my daughters birthday and served up a big plate of venison, bacon and cheese sausage rolls. They got smashed and there was some really good open minded conversation going on
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 May 2018, 6:42 pm

That dreaded conversation
FB_IMG_1496823925720.jpg
FB_IMG_1496823925720.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 8344 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 06 May 2018, 9:45 pm

:lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Diddums » 07 May 2018, 4:15 am

Went out the other night and got about 5 or 6, heard all the impacts but couldn't find a couple of carcasses.

Took this fellas bushy tail though :D
Resized_20180421_231843_1165.jpeg
Fox on a fence
Resized_20180421_231843_1165.jpeg (265.12 KiB) Viewed 8876 times
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 07 May 2018, 1:43 pm

Yeah, Diddums, that a nice healthy looking fox, been in a good paddock.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 08 May 2018, 6:24 pm

FB_IMG_1525258053679.jpg
Wouldn't mind whistling this one in :D
FB_IMG_1525258053679.jpg (86.84 KiB) Viewed 8835 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 May 2018, 8:19 pm

:thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 08 May 2018, 8:31 pm

What sort of whistle do you need to use?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 08 May 2018, 9:03 pm

$100 bills
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 May 2018, 11:28 am

As long as you dont show us what you shoot em with Pete...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 11 May 2018, 8:58 am

Been in a real drought with the foxes lately...they seem to be really thin on the ground around here for some reason :D :D .....but went out again last night anyway and finally cracked my first fox in 4 outings....

https://youtu.be/HiVuBIro2W4
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 11 May 2018, 10:02 am

Stoney wrote:
Daddybang wrote:I think this thread should be shut down!!!!

Only because I don't have foxes up my way and I get bloody jealous!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Where in Queensland do you live Daddybang? 3 years ago I was traveling from Townsville to Charters Towers at night and I saw a fox cross the road.

Hey stoney sorry I missed ya question!! Must have been to busy drooling over the pics the fellas have been posting!! :lol:
I'm another 400odd kms nth of Townsville (just north of mareeba) and in close to twenty years have never seen or even heard rumors of foxes up here!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 11 May 2018, 3:42 pm

Try a wolf whistle?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 11 May 2018, 5:20 pm

Good Thread. I have chased the odd fox over the years but with only limited success. One thing I’ve never worked out - after whistling in one spot for 20 minutes or so, how far do you move before setting up again. This is when you are on foot in hilly/gully country?
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 11 May 2018, 6:29 pm

I usually move about 500m.at least
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 12 May 2018, 8:22 am

I'm still trying to get it wired but a good couple of hundred metres at least. Biggest pain in the ass is sitting, whistling and waiting at a spot and then deciding to move only to bump a fox that was hanging back trying to work out what you are
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by brinny » 12 May 2018, 3:41 pm

Biggest pain in the ass is sitting, whistling and waiting at a spot and then deciding to move only to bump a fox that was hanging back trying to work out what you are[/quote]

Yep....had that happen a few times..... :roll: :roll: ...thats frustrating....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 15 May 2018, 11:33 pm

Went and sat in the neighbours lambing down paddock for a while tonight...and this critter happened along.....

Click here to veiw footage......
https://youtu.be/mrO8xtHzAhQ

brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 16 May 2018, 12:24 am

bigpete wrote:
FB_IMG_1525258053679.jpg

Farkin hell Bigpete, I haven't been out whistling foxes for ages.... Thanks for the inspiration mate.... :shock: :thumbsup: :friends:

That one looks like she would actually stink good, unlike many other foxes I've put a shot into over the years :o :lol: :problem: ;) :lol:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 16 May 2018, 10:50 pm

Stix wrote:A fox cross border collie... :wtf: ....one is 70's burnt orange & the other is black & white...!!!

I mean mistaking a black & white cat is legitimate...but...uhh...
& you saw this in daylight... :shock: ...!!

Man...i tell ya...no drugs when you got guns dood...!!! :sarcasm: :lol:

26,27,28th of this month hopefully find this fella for you Stix
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control