Anyone using the Speer 90gn TNT projectiles in their 6.5mm?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Anyone using the Speer 90gn TNT projectiles in their 6.5mm?

Post by Rod_outbak » 15 May 2018, 11:01 am

I'm now firmed up on ordering a .260 Rem barrel for my Ruger PR.
Probably a few months away, if I'm realistic about getting the funds together...sigh.

In the mean-time, I thought I'd look into getting a few projectiles on hand.

My mate with a .260, pokks a lot of light game with Hornady 95gn V-max, and finds them very good.
I was looking at the Speer 90gn TNT projectiles, and was interested to find out if anyone here had used them?
Slightly cheaper than the V-max, and I thought I'd try a box or two, in addition to the V-Max's.

A few forums on the net suggest they are a great varmint projectile out to around 400 yards, and highly explosive on small game.
I'd be using them mostly on roos, foxes, the occasional dingo, and maybe a pig or two.

Anyone used them?

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Anyone using the Speer 90gn TNT projectiles in their 6.5

Post by SCJ429 » 17 May 2018, 8:02 pm

I have not used them but I am betting that they will be accurate and explosive. All the TNT I have used were very forgiving regarding seating depth, easy to tune, accurate and frangable. Not too much wrong with the Hornady Vmax either. My choice would be for a heavier 140 grain projectile but for the game you are looking at the TNT is a good choice out to 300 or 400 metres. The 110 grain 7mm TNT works great for me at those distances.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 18 May 2018, 8:01 am

SCJ429,

Thanks for that. My (limited) experience with TNT projectiles is the same.
95% of my shots are ~250-350 metres, so the lighter projectiles are great for what I want.

Mates use the 95gn 6.5mm V-Max's a lot for hunting, and find them great.

What rifle and calibre is the 7mm? I have some test loads made up for the 7mm-08 in the 110gn TNT, but havent gotten around to testing them yet.
I shoot a lot of 120gn V-Max in the 7mm-08; they work a treat out to around 450 metres.
Even pokked a Corbey(crow) one day at 350 metres; surprised the crap out of both myself AND Corbey...

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 20 May 2018, 3:28 pm

Hi Rod, it is a 7mm BR Norma, so a fair bit slower than your 7mm08 but I have used them for a friends 08. He used all sorts of factory ammo in his Howa and couldn't get it to shoot under two inches. I loaded some TNT and after minimal load testing and a trigger job, he was shooting under an inch consistently.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 17 Jul 2018, 7:14 am

I've got some 90gr TNT to use in my 6.5 Grendel. I'll try them in my 6.5 creedmoor as well and report back how the perform.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 17 Jul 2018, 8:18 am

I looked at these however decided to go with the Hornady 95gn VMax instead. I am wondering why when you compare the price of the two items.
I will be interested to hear what people think of them and how they perform.
Please let us know what you think.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 25 Jul 2018, 3:55 pm

image.png
image.png (359.37 KiB) Viewed 6021 times

So I plan on loading these up in my 6.5 Creedmoor soon. So I checked the Speer load data. Bit surprised to see no 8208 or H4895 (ar2206h) in the data. I guess I'll start with Varget (ar2208)

I have been using 40gr of 8208 behind the 95gr Vmax in a Hornady case. This is ADI max so approach with caution. I'll do the switch to AR2208 with Vmax and see how they go. Then I'll try the Speer 90 Tnt and let everybody know what I think.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by christopher » 05 Dec 2021, 10:39 am

Old post i know, but how did you go with the 90gm tnt, 6.5 load? Iam about to start loading some. Leigh
christopher
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 05 Dec 2021, 11:02 am

My new sauer 270 will be trialed next week with 90 grain Speer Tnt ‘s . I will report back in a couple o weeks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wyliecoyote » 05 Dec 2021, 1:03 pm

I have used both the 95 Vmax and 90 TNTs in my 260 Rem barrel for the Defiance and T3 in 6.5x55. Head to head performance on game, not a lot in it. Accuracy wise the TNTs win out considerably in both the 260 and 6.5x55. This is similar results to the 110 Vmax and 125 TNTs i have used in the 308, 30 Apache, 300 Blackout and 7.62x39. For whatever reason, the TNT bullets seem to be more accurate in most calibers I've tried them in and because of that i have used them for many years. The only caveat i would place on them is when i chase large boars up the Cape. The very thick gristle plates on a lot of those bigger fellows when using the 125 TNTs, and i suspect those in other calibers, don't penetrate much beyond those plates and create terrible flesh wounds that no doubt cause severe trauma to the animal. Hence why i ceased using them in my 308s and changed to either TSXs or SSTs. Their choice will probably be determined more by the type of game animal you might be chasing.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RosscoL » 06 Dec 2021, 7:20 am

I use 110 TNTs in my 7-08 and they are very accurate with 2208. Sub 1/2 moa. Only got foxes, goats and roo culling with them but they are lethal. Highly recommend to try.
RL
RosscoL
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 06 Dec 2021, 4:22 pm

I was using them in my 6.5 grendel on goats until the supply dried up over here. Now im using 85gr sierras. Both work well and are accurate.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics