Fixed power for 222?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Fixed power for 222?

Post by Rathie » 16 May 2018, 12:30 am

G’day everyone,

My first post as a new member.

A quick hello and a brief history is in order I guess?

I’m an old (ish) bloke at 54. Born and bred on a wheat and cattle property in western nsw but have lived in Brisbane since the mid 80’s.

Dad had a passion for shooting and flying (sometimes both together!) which I shared from an early age. Try to get away to the bush with rifle and bow 4 or 5 times a year and love to put a bunny in the pot of fill the freezer with some nice young goat.

Am just building up the arsenal again after a brief hiatus and have just taken possession of a near mint condition Tikka m55 in 222.

Have wacked a surplus Bushnell 3x9x40 on it (which will go onto a 257/270 at some time when I actually purchase one) and am in the market for a fixed 7 or 8 power scope (told you I was old) I just like the simplicity and no fuss of a fixed power and do not find it much of a hindrance.

The rifle will see general purpose work as a walk about rifle for rabbit/Fox/goat etc.

Really do not want to spend more than 4-500 on the scope and apart from Lynx 8x56 and Yukon 7x50 or 8x46 there does not appear to be much around in that price range.

I’m perfectly happy to put a second hand 8x40 Tasco World Class or similar on her - rare as hens teeth!

Does anyone have other brand suggestions or ideas on where I can pick a god second hand scope up?

Sorry for the rambling of an old bloke - thought I’d give a bit of history with my g’day.

Cheers, Rathie
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Fixed power for 222?

Post by Daddybang » 16 May 2018, 3:16 pm

Gday rathie :welcome: :drinks:
Mate I've got a 6× mountmaster (about ten or eleven years old) that ive put on a cz527 in .222 for the missus (not bein a smartarse I love the rifle and cal too!!!!! :lol: ) and for daytime use at reasonable distance cant really fault it so maybe check nikko sterling out . :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 16 May 2018, 8:12 pm

Weaver do some cheaper fixed powers. I had a 6x on a 223
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 16 May 2018, 8:14 pm

You should be able to find a use Leupold M8 in that price range and magnification, have a look on Used Guns. They have a lifetime warranty.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 16 May 2018, 9:03 pm

I purchased a brand new .222 ruger amd it came with a fixed 6x something which went out fairly soon.I replaced it with a fixed 6x $96 nikko stirling nighteater and pro roo shot for 10 years.I was given a bushnell recently which is the only reason I changed again.At 57 I need a bit more than 6x and the reticle lights up red or green on the bushnell
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by straightshooter » 17 May 2018, 7:55 am

Rathie
It's good to see that you have a rational approach to scopes.
I would suggest that an 8x56 may be a little too bulky for a 'walk about hunting rifle' and more suitable for a sit and wait rifle.
A 6x40 would probably be a much better compromise and if you are up to it you can get a second hand S&B, Kahles or Zeiss and stay within your budget. There are a couple of sellers out of Germany visible on ebay if you tick the worldwide box, who regularly have them on offer.
Now to put things in perspective, I have a Japanese Weaver 6x40 (which were considered superior to US made Weavers) to compare with an older Zeiss 6x40 from the 60's. The Zeiss has it all over the Weaver.
The real point of all this is to pay regard to optical resolution and not necessarily magnification.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 May 2018, 8:13 am

Sounds like a good idea. If you can find a scope with good clarity, i reckon 6x40 would be heaps of optics for a 222 or 223 and a walk about, no fuss set up. I'd only pick the 6x for a slighly better field of view for closer shots and faster target aquisition.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2018, 6:13 pm

Gwion wrote:Sounds like a good idea. If you can find a scope with good clarity, i reckon 6x40 would be heaps of optics for a 222 or 223 and a walk about, no fuss set up. I'd only pick the 6x for a slighly better field of view for closer shots and faster target aquisition.

Any idea if the S&B, Zeiss etc have a lifetime transferable warranty? would be worth considering when buying 2nd hand and the other thing is they usually require them to be sent back OS for warranty work if my memory serves me correctly. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2018, 6:20 pm

Might be worth considering (not sure on prices but would imagine it would fit into your price range)

https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/p ... -6x42-916/
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2018, 6:38 pm

Plenty of Pecar scopes on page 3 on Abused Guns - https://www.usedguns.com.au/Guns/used_s ... fle_scopes
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rathie » 17 May 2018, 11:07 pm

Thanks for the advice!

I’ll ‘fix’ the variable at 6 ( or 7 or 8) and see what I prefer.

In the meantime I’ll scour the used adds until the right one comes along.

She gets her maiden voyage at Belmont this weekend. Miss 17 is turning into a keen shooter and will probably join me and drive the 22 or hornet.

Will burn some factory ammo to build up the brass for reloading. Will post some pics next week ( or it never happened)

Cheers all, Iain
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Tank » 17 May 2018, 11:38 pm

Vote here for a fixy 6x from Leupold.
My 2cents.
Great little scope and would suit the .222 admirably.
Regs,
Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 17 May 2018, 11:59 pm

Im one of those blind people who has become a fan of variable power.
4-16, if not 4-12/14...just aids in those longer range headshots when you live in denial about going blind. :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 18 May 2018, 7:51 am

I bought a fixed Weaver K series 6x38 fixed; back in 2013($270). It was going to end up on my Krico .243, but instead did about 12 months on my Tikka T3 7mm-08.

To be honest, I was never overly excited about it as a scope. I wouldnt have minded the relatively low power magnification, if the optics made up for it.
But I dont think they were very good optics, to be honest.
[Shouldnt be really surprised, at $270...]
We used to have a Pecar 6x59 moving reticle scope on my Dads Krico .243; superb optics.
About 10 years back, my brother and I did a bit of horse-trading, and I ended up with the Krico, as it was a bit of a basket-case at the time.
My brother wanted the Pecar back, so I bought the Weaver as a stand-in.
At the time, the Krico was suffering from a barrel near end of life, broken trigger guard (moulded plastic) and a few other crises, and so the poor scope optics didnt really stand out.
But we now have a new stainless barrel fitted, machined alloy trigger guard/mag-well, and all other issues resolved, and the Krico shoots like a freaking laser.
I didnt notice a crappy scope (as much) when the rifle itself couldnt deliver...
If I found a 2nd-hand Pecar of the later image-moving design around that size, I'd consider it.
Eventually, my plan is the Krico will end up with my smaller Nightforce SHV scope(3-10x42), which is currently doing time on the Ruger Precision Rifle. The RPR will likely get the large SHV; currently on the 7mm.
If he ever gets his arse into gear, elder brother is supposed to be taking the 7mm-08 at some stage, but he is taking his own sweet time about it.
He can find his own freaking scope, though the old Pecar wouldnt do a bad job on the 7mm.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 18 May 2018, 8:27 pm

Hi Rathie, welcome to the group.

For a walk about scope I'd suggest having a look at something like a 4-12x variable. The 4x good for sitting and whistling up foxes, 6-8x for spotlighting and 12x spotting holes in targets. Something like a Vortex or Nikko Stirling should go well, both on the rifle and pocket.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 18 May 2018, 10:00 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:Sounds like a good idea. If you can find a scope with good clarity, i reckon 6x40 would be heaps of optics for a 222 or 223 and a walk about, no fuss set up. I'd only pick the 6x for a slighly better field of view for closer shots and faster target aquisition.

Any idea if the S&B, Zeiss etc have a lifetime transferable warranty? would be worth considering when buying 2nd hand and the other thing is they usually require them to be sent back OS for warranty work if my memory serves me correctly. :thumbsup:

No idea, BigFella. Even 2nd hand is out of my budget at the moment but if i could get good clear ootics I'd happily change to fixed powwr for most applications. I find my variables end up set at about 6x most of the time in the field. Occassionally crank it up for longer shots but not often.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 19 May 2018, 4:49 am

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

No idea, BigFella. Even 2nd hand is out of my budget at the moment but if i could get good clear ootics I'd happily change to fixed powwr for most applications. I find my variables end up set at about 6x most of the time in the field. Occassionally crank it up for longer shots but not often.

Cheers G, Im similar when it comes to variables, mostly just leave them on 9 and like the idea of not having to stuff around with side focus these days, just rather point and shoot. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rathie » 21 May 2018, 2:20 am

Gee’s, have not seen Belmont as packed as it was Sunday morning. Had a couple of hours wait ahead and went home and collected brownie points instead.

Friday should not be as busy (fingers crossed) so miss 17 and I will give the Tikka and the Brno some much needed attention.

Am scouring the used scopes advertisements for a nice 6 - 8 power fixed. No rush, when the right one comes along it will call out to me.

Heading for Tenterfield again in a few weeks. Hopefully Vulpes vulpes wont be so shy to the whistle this trip. Heading out St George way mid August. The Tikka will hopefully get to play with a pig or two.

Again, thanks all for your valuable advice and suggestions. Good to see the fixed power Luddites are alive and well.

Cheers, Rathie
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 21 May 2018, 9:29 am

Howdy Rathie, does your M55 have the big plastic bolt knob? If it does it’s identical to mine that I bought in 1982 with my first pay check.
Contrary to popular belief I do actually own a couple of modern rifles!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Rathie » 21 May 2018, 2:21 pm

G’day Noisydad,

No plastic knob on mine.

I believe the plastic knob was on the earlier model. The fore end of your stock is also more ‘rounded’ than the ‘sharp’ end on mine?

Nevertheless, wonderfull little rifles. How does yours shoot? I’m yet to shoot mine :(
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 22 May 2018, 10:24 pm

Yep it has a rounded fore end and has a Hillver bridge mount and a Bushnell Banner 3-9 scope. The rifle cost me $395, the scope $105, the mount $75 - why can I remember that stuff but can’t remember why I walked into the kitchen?
At 32 years old it’ll still shoot 5 shot groups at moa if do my bit. It’s biggest nuisance is the extractor spring is weak and leaves most empties in the chamber. It’s a microscopic coil spring and a replacement has eluded me so far.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Rathie » 23 May 2018, 3:24 am

Hey Noisy,

Try Rebel Guns in Brisbane - pretty sure they have a Tikka m55 spare parts.

Rathie
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 29 May 2018, 8:17 pm

I have a Unertyl 10x "Vulture" scope on my Remington 40XBR 222 but it's a benchrest rig.
I did ppick up one of those Bushnell Engage 4-12x40 scope today to put on a BRNO Fox 222 when it turns up.

Only have a couple of fixed power scopes, the majority are variables.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rathie » 16 Jun 2018, 1:56 pm

Picked up a second hand Nikko ‘Premium’ 8x40 from the ssaa site.

For the life of me I cannot google up any reference to ‘premium’ and Nikko. But it has the word quiet clearly printed on the scope. Made in Japan I am lead to believe.

The tikka has her first outing at Belmont. Could only get Remington factory ammo from LGS - Grouped around the 1” at 100 for 5 shots. I’ll play around with factory till I find what she likes then build up a supply of cases.

The 8x may go on the hornet (?) - I’ll have a play on the 222 and see how it feels.

Any luck with Rebel in Brisbane for the M55 parts??
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Scopes, sights and optics