Norinco 22lr rifle jw-15

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Norinco 22lr rifle jw-15

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 May 2018, 8:15 pm

Has anybody had or have anything to do with one of these rifles ?
My eldest son has ordered one for his sister and I was wondering what they were like :unknown:
I do know it was fairly cheap :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Re: Norinco 22lr rifle jw-15

Post by Heckler303 » 26 May 2018, 8:19 pm

Yes sir, I have had a lot to do with these rifles. Got one for my 16th birthday and have loved it ever since. Before I begin typing, would you like the long story, or the short story? :D
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 26 May 2018, 9:03 pm

So here's my story with them.

When I first got mine, it was second-hand. The owner didn't want it anymore and had barely even used it out of the box. Unfortunately they nicked the rear sight off of it so I couldn't ever use it without a scope unless I wanna try my hand at aligning targets via the barrel length.

The Nikko Stirling 4x32 was of my own purchase as well, the full rifle was $240. Not a bad price actually, in fact one of the better cheap .22 rifles on the market.

Now as for the rifle itself, the reason you're getting a seemingly direct copy of a Brno Model 1 so cheaply is because that due to the manufacturing capabilities of Norinco, they're not the greatest in terms of fine machining. In fact, the entire length of the raceways, the shape of the bolt and especially the camming surfaces are pretty rough. There is a youtube tutorial that goes into the full process of cleaning up a CZ which essentially is the same design as the Norinco. Spend some time over here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pLGexmQrfE (mind you, I didnt have a dremel tool, just sat there on the lounge for hours with sandpaper...)

Also if you're ordering this new/semi new, you're gonna want to disassembly everything and soak it in a heavy degreaser/petrol. The mysterious Chinese packing oil contaminates these things like the plague and is the reason they get complaints on their tightness. You're also going to need to free float the barrel if you're sticking with the crummy plastic stock, or alternatively you can order a stock from Hatchers Rifle Stocks:

Also, the trigger is actually fairly workable too, here's a guide on that. I've set mine to roughly 2.5 pound and cleaned up the sear/trigger relation surfaces up with a fine buffing wheel, and autosol on a small earbud.

http://www.gunrack.co.nz/jw-15-trigger-improvement/

Now onto accuracy, I've done some time with it and honestly, it's a tack driver today. Not when it first came out of the box, like a 3 inch group at 40M or so :wtf:. Nowaday's I'm shooting ragged holes. Here's a list of all the 22's i've used in it so far, from best, to crappiest.

Gecko Target Box 40grn
SK (Especially red-box match ammo)) 40grn
Eley subsonic 40grn (Best choice hunting round)
Eley supersonic 40grn
Remington Subsonic 40grn
CCI Mini Mag 38grn
Winchester Super Speed 40 grn
CCI Stingers 32grn
Winchester Powerpoint 42grn
CCI Quiet 40Grn
Federal 40grn
Winchester Z's 28grn (Absolute crap, dont even bother, shoots minute of Kim-Jun)

On the hunting side of things, it's a great lightweight rifle and when put together with a sling, it'll go with you anywhere. I've taken all kinds of things with it from rats, to bunnies, to hares, to wallabies, even the occasional pest bird. The thing definitely pays itself very quickly! Also managed to knock the cap off a coke bottle placed out at 190M, after a few spotters here and there. They're rugged, reliable and honestly I've never had a single misfire that wasnt due to dodgy ammo. Only had one magazine hang-up as well which was my own stupid fault (slammed the rim in and under the follower trying to load it in a hurry in the dark.)

Its worth the 2 greenies and a yellow mate, believe me. Happy hunting.

Last edited by Heckler303 on 28 May 2018, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 May 2018, 11:41 pm

Thanks Heckler303 sounds like it will be ok ,i'll do as you said and clean it up properly for her
I'll free float the barrel for her as well while i'm at it
Thanks again also ill make a list of the ammo you have used
Member-Deleted

Post by Supaduke » 27 May 2018, 1:00 pm

They are good rifles cloned from a well proven design. The finish however is best described as "agricultural". Some time spent removing burrs and a bit of finessing and they are perfectly capable rifles. As long as you don't expect $1000 performance out of a $250 gun, I would have no problem recommending one.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 May 2018, 1:45 pm

Thanks Supaduke good to know mate
Member-Deleted

Post by bronco93 » 27 May 2018, 10:02 pm

I liked mine so much I ended up buying another one. I want to get a nice wooden stock for one of them though.
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Stix » 27 May 2018, 10:19 pm

Nice write up heckler...!! :thumbsup:
Now i want one...hehe.

How much was the timber stock...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 27 May 2018, 10:28 pm

They vary in price depending on the grade of wood. They are about $350 for a XX grade and $400 for the XXX he has some real nice wood that is more expensive as well. He also has the standard grade wood which is often a lighter colour or lacking in features for $300. He will do a bit more on the finishing for extra but seriously its not very hard even a pleasant job. You do have to take into account the hardware for example recoil pad any studs and perhaps a bushing for a takedown screw. So it can add up and may take extra work.
His 99% drop in inletting is top notch though a bottom metal will be a press fit straight in like a bought one.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Jon79 » 28 May 2018, 12:27 am

what ammo have most found to work best in these? I grabbed one of these for the daughter yesterday and had play around with it last night after we'd finished shooting....it seemed to spray all over the place at 50m

the bolt seemed bloody tight but after reading Heckler303's post it's now 80-90% better
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 May 2018, 8:52 am

If you have a look back at Heckler303's post you'll see which he has found suitable in each case
Member-Deleted

Post by Heckler303 » 28 May 2018, 11:40 am

Jon79 wrote:what ammo have most found to work best in these? I grabbed one of these for the daughter yesterday and had play around with it last night after we'd finished shooting....it seemed to spray all over the place at 50m

the bolt seemed bloody tight but after reading Heckler303's post it's now 80-90% better

Yeah, the bolt is stupid stiff when you first get it. I'm not kidding, for me it comparable to a very Moist Nugget. :lol: The entire bolt assembly needs a lot of degreasing and TLC. Also try to clean up the camming surfaces with fine buffing wheels on and auto-sol, never touch with any kind of abrasive paper.

Also in regards to the stock, my one was a standard grade test stock from Hatcher as I've never bought any of his products before, and mine was only semi-finished as seen in the image on the OP. Inletting was a bit of a let down for me however as I'd spent a number of afternoons getting the action to fit straight and flush, but eventually with some work it sorted itself out fine.

Link to them is here: http://hatchersriflestocks.com.au/norinco-22.html

I've seen a Grade XX one of these before, it's worth nearly double the amount of the rifle! :wtf: If it's a keeper like mine is, then definitely go for it, Hatcher custom talors these things up a treat, fits like a glove and I really can't find a complaint on the ergonomics. Perfect comb height too for most scope mountings as well.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 28 May 2018, 11:51 am

Also in regards to the accuracy, once you have a free floating barrel either from your own handiwork or buying and floating Hatcher's stock, the simple matter is to keep shooting it. I've done some minor work on the headspace on this rifle myself which is an entire other story, but within 500 rounds of cheap federal/cci I've manged to make this rifle shrink its groups dramatically. In fact, over time I've noticed that some brands that couldn't shoot a bee in a hive now blast ragged holes, where as others have slipped from their precision throne. Also just want to point out: It's good to make sure the screws holding your rifle are tightened to even torque, lumpy/uneven torque between them is a no-no for many rimfires and these are one of them.

Edit: Major, major point as well: I've found that just having the bolt lifted very minimally up instead of flat metal-to-metal (since the bolt has a little bit of play in it before it actually touches the camming surfaces) its a sure way to lose your ragged hole groups. Always make sure you close it down tight!
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles